Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Harpist's Redemption  by Coreinha

disclaimer: I don't own any of this...blah blah blah...I'm not making any money from it.

A/N: Am I endangering your lives by writing this story? I had at least two people threaten to faint, and a third tell me they were going to die. Perhaps I should put a warning on this fic? "WARNING: May be hazardous to your health: Author is not responsible for any fainting spells, seizures, cancer, broken bones, high cholesterol, head colds, high blood pressure, brain freeze, heart attack, chemical spill, bad hair day, aneurysm or sudden death caused by this fic."

That said, I'm getting a lot of reviews for this fic, lol! I'm glad everyone is enjoying it so much! Keep reviewing, it makes me write faster! And for all you lurkers out there, can you just take a few seconds to tell me what you think? I would appreciate it greatly!

Special thanks to the Lovely Lily, who beta'd for me, this time around.

Ok, I've babbled on enough for one night, On with the fic!

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

Legolas sighed in frustration, and leaned on the rudder.

They had been at sea for two days now, and had lost sight of Valinor early that morning. Surely they must be far enough away by now, but Aragorn still had not appeared.

Having no idea where they were heading, and well aware that Middle Earth's geography had probably changed in the last six thousand years, Legolas decided to stay the course they were on.

Their supplies were quite limited, and even with their elven endurance, if they did not reach land within a week, they would become quite dehydrated. Two weeks, and they would probably die. Though, Elrohir had very helpfully pointed out that if they ran out of food, they could eat the dog.

'THAT will go over well with Faenrin!' He thought, while absently running his hands over the smooth surface of the rudder. He chuckled when he imagined trying to explain it to her, 'Faenrin, I'm sorry, we had to eat your dog. We would have starved to death if not for him, but he tasted great with some sea salt and a side of seaweed!'

Legolas resisted banging his head on the side of the ship, thinking he must have been at sea too long already. He sat down on the deck, and stared up at the stars, they looked a little different tonight, though Legolas couldn't quite place why.

He found himself remembering all the times he had stretched out on the ground with his daughter, and stared up at the stars. Two pairs of identical blue eyes gazing into the infinite, while Legolas told her the stories of each of the stars that he knew.

She would listen quietly, and ask questions occasionally, and they often just lay there in comfortable silence, simply enjoying each other's company.

He hoped that, wherever she was, she wasn't scared, lonely, cold or hungry. A tear trickled down his face, as he wished that she were there, in his arms, where he could protect her, like he promised.

Legolas rested his forehead on his knee, and took a shuddering breath. This was a parent's worst nightmare, and he was beginning to understand why Elrond and his own father had always fussed about he and Aragorn getting into so much trouble.

But, Aragorn was going to help them, now. That gave him a sense of well-being, just like it always used too. It always seemed that, no matter what trouble they got into, as long as Aragorn was there, things would turn out alright.

Not to mention, Aragorn had said Arwen was protecting all the elflings of Valinor, so Faenrin was probably alright, he just hoped she wasn't frightened without him there.

Legolas took another deep breath, and sighed. Perhaps it would be best if he tried not to think about his family, it would only drive him mad with worry and guilt.

Cell-hu wandered over from where he had been annoying Elrohir, and laid his head on Legolas' hand, looking up at him with soulful brown eyes. Legolas stroked the silky fur for a moment, taking comfort in the simple pleasure of the animal's familiar company. Then he flung his arms around Cell-hu's neck, and buried his face in the soft, white ruff of fur. Cell-hu seemed to understand his Master's need for comfort, so he sat stock still, and laid his long, slender nose Legolas' shoulder.

Cell-hu was of a breed of dog native to only Valinor, though a couple hundred years ago, a few human sailors were shipwrecked on the island, and wound up stealing several of the dogs for breeding purposes. Legolas absently wondered if the breed had survived, and if so, what mankind called it.

In Valinor, they were called Tereva Colla, roughly meaning Fine Vestments, in reference to their long silky fur, usually black or sable in color, and the thick white ruff around their necks.

Glorfindel had begun breeding them shortly after his arrival in Valinor, and finally perfected the breed after about 400 years. They were unusually intelligent, and very sweet and gentle. They were also incredibly long-lived, though that could be attributed to Valinor itself. Elrond had had one, called Merillach, for nearly 800 years.

Cell-hu had been a gift from Legolas' father, on the day Faenrin was born. The two had been inseparable companions ever since.

Legolas took a shuddering breath, and leaned back, scratching the dog behind the ears affectionately. "Maer hu," He murmured softly in the dog's ear, "Faenrin innas na-band, Im gwesto."

Cell-hu looked at him, cocking his head, and flicking his ears about, as though he understood every word Legolas said. Perhaps he did.

Legolas chuckled at the thought.

"Something funny, Mellon nin?"

Legolas looked up, straight into the warm grey eyes of the best friend he'd even had.

"Aragorn, you came back. We had begun to fear you wouldn't."

Aragorn smiled warmly, "Well, I am here. I ran into a little... trouble. But I will tell you about that later."

Cell-hu trotted over to Aragorn, and flopped down on the ground in front of him, rolling about on his back.

Legolas and Aragorn both chuckled at the animal's lack of dignity, and for a moment, they were back in Rivendell or Mirkwood, enjoying a glass of wine, and teasing each other mercilessly.

But, the present came crashing back into them, rather violently.

The starry sky above them clouded over suddenly, without any warning, and began to rumble ominously.

Cell-hu looked up at the pitch black clouds, and snarled threateningly, while Aragorn closed his eyes a moment, before cursing expressively in Dwarvish. "I will return in a moment with your answers, but first, get the dog below decks, and man the sails, mellon nin, you are in for a rough ride!"

With those last words, he vanished, leaving Legolas somewhat bewildered.

He got his answer quickly enough, when the wind picked up sharply, and the waves began to toss the little boat about, as though it were a childs toy..

"Yrch spit!" He shouted at no one in particular, as he hauled the dog down to the cabin, and awoke Elladan.

The older twin had been sleeping fitfully in an effort to combat his seasickness, but Legolas awoke him nonetheless.

"Wha... What is it, Legolas?"

"Get up, there is a terrible storm blowing in, we will need your help!"

~*~

Maer hu - Good dog

Faenrin inna na-band, im gwesto - Faenrin will be safe, I swear it.

Mellon nin - my friend

heh heh, oh how I LOVE cliffies :) and reviews! I LOVE LOVE LOVE reviews!!! *hint hint*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List