Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pippin-Frog For A Day  by Neilia

Chapter 5: WIZARD AND FROG

Gandalf strolled around the hedge and approached the tree where Pip-frog lay huddled in the moss.

Gandalf called softly, "Pippin…Pippin…it is safe for you to come out."

Pip-frog’s little heart did a jig and began racing. His eyes bugged out even more and he thought in terror, ‘Gandalf…It’s Gandalf!’

Knowing Pip’s state of mind, the wizard began humming a song of power very softly. The wee froggy was soon breathing more slowly and the blind terror turned into a slight apprehension.

Pip-frog wriggled out of the moss and slowly edged toward the gentle song. He peeked over the edge of the branch and looked into two very kindly grey eyes. ‘It is Gandalf,’ thought the nervous little creature.

Holding up his open palm close to Pippin, Gandalf whispered, "Come down, Pippin, all will be well. You don’t have to be afraid of me. I will do you no harm."

Pip didn’t think that being turned into a tree frog was ‘doing no harm’; but, he didn’t want to be alone any more and ooooh, he was so very hungry!

Pip inched toward the open palm and Gandalf coaxed him into it. Gandalf drew the little fellow close to his face and said, "Now, let’s find you some good insects and feed that hungry tummy of yours."

Astonished that Gandalf knew how hungry he was, Pip-frog squeaked in surprise. Gandalf chuckled, "Do you think that I don’t know a Hobbit’s eating habits, Pippin?"

Pippin just blinked and attached his little feet to the wizard’s hand more securely.

He hoped that Gandalf would find him some nice, plump and juicy bugs…’Aaargh, I actually want to eat bugs!’

Gandalf, true to his word, brought Pippin into the garden, set him down on the pathway, positioned a crystal into the end of his staff and whispered an incantation to make it glow. He set the glowing end down near the little frog and soon many tasty insects were attracted to the light. Pip-frog was delighted with the variety and thought his ‘dinner’ was delicious! ‘slurp, thwap, whap, snick’ Soon the little tummy was bulging and one little groggy froggy was blinking up at his benefactor with a silly Hobbity grin on his face!

Chuckling, Gandalf took the crystal out of his staff and secreted it in one of his many mysterious pockets. Then he leaned down and offered his hand once more to Pippin. The small creature crawled, with a bit of difficulty, onto the proffered hand, settled smack in the middle and sighed hugely.

Gandalf carried Pippin into the house with his fingers loosely curled around his sleepy charge. He sat down in Hall of Fire where a cheerful fire glowed, set Pip-frog on his lap, covered him with a fold of his robe and let the weary mite sleep.

Very early the next morning, a bright light flashed and a sleeping Hobbit lad took the place of the little frog. Gandalf pulled the fold bigger to cover Pippin. He looked down at the sleeping Hobbit, brushed the curls off that small forehead and then softly called his name, "Pippin, Pippin, it’s time to wake up.. we need to talk a bit before your cousins find us."

Pippin yawned, rubbed his eyes, and looked up into the wizard’s face. He took a shaky breath and whispered, "Am I forgiven?" Tears welled up in his green eyes as he hoped for the answer he knew he didn’t deserve.

Answering, Gandalf said, "All is forgiven, Pippin lad, all is forgiven." He gathered more of his robe around the now active little Hobbit.

At that statement, Pippin let all the remorse, terror, and now relief gush out in an abundance of tears. When the storm was over, and all that was left was the occasional ‘hiccup’ and ‘shudder’, Gandalf began to tell Pippin how important one little green-eyed Hobbit was going to be on the upcoming Quest. "So you see, Pippin, you need to grow up rather quickly and the course you were taking was not desirable."

"I understand Gandalf…"

Just then the door burst open and four Hobbity voices began chiming in at the same time. Gandalf laughed…"He is fine. Merry, go and bring some clothing for Pippin. I don’t think he wants to walk the halls of Imladris in naught but his skin."

Merry ran down the hall, only to crash into an Elf! "IneedtogetPippinsomeclothes… sorry," he called over his shoulder as he sped towards his and Pippin’s room… leaving the red-faced Ellon doubled over and gasping for breath.

Frodo approached the contrite little Hobbit, "Pip, are you all right?"

"Yes, Frodo, I am…um, I’m just a little hungry."

Laughter spilled out into the hallway followed by a small piping voice, "Wha…what did I say?"

End





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List