Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pippin-Frog For A Day  by Neilia

Chapter 4: CONSOLATION

As the servants cleared the Hall, four Hobbits and Gandalf gathered to the side and began talking amongst themselves.

Rubbing his aching shoulder, Frodo asked, "Gandalf, why did you not tell us of the ‘Ward’ before?"

"I did not expect our little frog to absent himself from Merry’s protection."

"Sticklebats! That young Hobbit has never done what was ‘expected’," Bilbo chimed in.

"If you will come out into the garden with me, I will find him for you," suggested Gandalf.

The Hobbits all enthusiastically agreed to this plan, and followed the Wizard out into the afternoon sunlight.

Gandalf indicated for them to sit on the same bench that Merry had previously occupied. He took a moment to look around the garden and soon discovered where Pip-frog was.

Grinning under his beard he explained, "I have found Pippin. He is enjoying a luncheon of tasty insects"

This announcement elicited not a few "Eeews" and one very dramatic "Oh my stars!"

Tugging at Gandalf‘s sleeve Merry entreated, "Let’s go and get him!"

"Wait a minute, Merry," Looking directly into the wizard’s eyes, Frodo asked, "We don’t need to be worried for Pip do we Gandalf?"

"No, my dear Frodo, there is absolutely no reason to fear."

"Very well," answered Frodo giving Merry his firmest stare, "We will let this situation stand as it is (Merry began sputtering). "and if the rest of you don’t mind, I need to take to my bed for a short while. Uncle Bilbo?"

"Of course not, lad," answered Bilbo, "take all the time you need. Merry lad, you go to bed also…you look terrible!"

"But Bilbo!" Merry protested, "I am supposed to be caring for Pippin! How can I rest?"

Bilbo answered, "Gandalf has reassured us not just a few minutes ago that Pippin is in no danger, other than from eating bugs," said with a grimace, "Therefore, you are going to rest."

Offering his elbow, Sam escorted his Mr. Frodo back into Elrond’s spacious home. Steering a reluctant Merry by the shoulder, Bilbo gently pushed him after them, "Go on now, everything will be fine."

After the last trace of the other Hobbits disappeared into the house, Bilbo pulled out his pipe, settled on the bench and sighed, "Time for a nice quiet pipe, don’t you think, Gandalf?"

Pulling out his pipe weed pouch, Gandalf answered, "Indeed, my dear Hobbit, it is."

They sat for some time enjoying the late afternoon sun and watching smoke circles slowly drift and dissipate above their heads. A nippy Autumn breeze broke their reverie. Sighing, Bilbo said, "Time for our tea. I hope Frodo feels up to our company this evening."

Noticing a small flash of light come from the direction of Pip-frog’s tree, Gandalf answered, "I will tarry for a while out here, Bilbo."

"Of course, Gandalf, of course," mumbled the older Hobbit as he climbed the stairs to the doorway. "Will you come in to supper?"

"Perhaps…perhaps"

Mumbling to himself, Bilbo disappeared into the house.

Gandalf slowly made his way towards the small tree located a short distance from the far side of the thick hedge…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List