Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Like Dog and Cat   by Golden

The plotbunny I got was:

My story’s setting should begin at the farm at Whitwell as the Tooks get ready to travel to Brandy Hall for the big Yule celebration. Pippin is around 12 in man years. Once they arrive at the Brandybucks` the story should include all of Pippin’s immediate family - parents and sisters, and Merry, his parents, and Frodo, among other assorted cousins and family members. Before the family leaves for their trip to the Hall, Pippin and Pervinca have a falling out over something rather silly, and manage to drive their parents crazy on the journey. By the time they arrive, what started out as a silly argument has turned into a serious rift between the two. The issue threatens to put a damper on the whole family holiday until…..a surprise “visitor” arrives at the Brandybuck’s door in the dead of night, shivering in the cold and snow……and helps the arguing siblings realize just how precious they are to one another!

Like dog and cat
or
A Yule Carol

With help from Pearl and betaread by Dreamflower

THANK YOU!

Written for Cathleen :)

The world was lying silent around the little farm with its many barns, which nestled comfortably against the side of a small hill.

Big, white clouds were hanging deeply above it, their stomachs filled with an army of skydancers, scarcely able to wait for the start of their great performance.

When the dark curtains of the night opened slowly and the first, shy light of the newborn day was to be seen on the horizon, they could restrain themselves no longer, and let themselves fall out of the clouds.

Happily singing they danced towards the earth and wrapped every grassblade, every tree and every stone inside a silvery white gown.

The morning started to grew older and now the farm also awoke to life.

Wrapped up warmly fur-footed Hobbits hurried around between the barns.

Chickens cackled, dogs barked and thick-furred ponies rolled over in the fresh white snow.

In the farmhouse as well it started to get lively.

Eglantine Took picked up a little silver comb from her dressing table, humming a sweet melody softly. Cautiously she started to comb through the thick, brown hair on her feet, bringing out the soft natural curls.

She was looking very much forward to the upcoming Yule celebration, which she and her family would spend at Brandy Hall this year.

She loved the festive atmosphere and the beautiful Yule decorations of fir branches and mistletoe.  
Decorated with small chains made out of dried berries and spices, they would be hanging over the door arches and yellow, orange and red lamps would bathe the Smial in a warm and joyous light.

Many relatives and friends, young and old, would be there to celebrate together.

The air would carry the smell of spicy pastry and warm Yule punch and everyone would be laughing and singing, dancing and eating, being cheerful and merry.

Still humming softly to herself Eglantine then went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast and to pack a big basket with many dainty morsels for the long journey to Buckland. In less then two hours the family wanted to leave.

She, her husband Paladin and their four children, Pearl, Pimpernel, Pervinca and Peregrin would be making the journey.

"Good morning mother,“ Pearl stood smiling in the door entrance. “ Do you need help?”

"Good morning darling,“ Eglantine said, giving her oldest daughter a kiss on the forehead. “Please be so nice as to look and see if you can find the preserved plums in the pantry, dear.”

Pearl nodded and started to search through the pantry.

Soon Pimpernel also came into the kitchen and started to help her mother and sister with the preparations.

"Snow! Snow! Snow!“, the joyous shouts of the two youngest children suddenly echoed through the house.

A red-haired lass came running like a storm into the kitchen. “Mama, it has snowed! Pippin and I are going outside!” she called, as she buttoned up her warm winter coat.

Close behind her a small lad was following. He was hopping about with only one leg inside his breeches.
“Ma, Ma, have you seen? Snow! Everywhere there is snow outside! We´re going to build a snowhobbit!“

Laughing Eglantine stroked her son over his auburn hair.

“A moment Pippin. First you will dress yourself correctly and get your warm coat and scarf on. Vinca, darling, please help your brother. And don´t forget to wear gloves! It is cold outside and I do not want that you fall ill!”

Pervinca sighed. "Come on Pip!“

*******************

Paladin told his farmhands their last orders and then marched back to the farm house, to enjoy a tasty breakfast and warm himself up by the oven.

On the way to the kitchen he nearly got run over by Pervinca and Pippin, who were racing outside. His daughter carried a broom in her hand, his son a big carrot and an old hat.

"Where are you off in such a hurry?“ he called, laughing, after his children.
"We are going to build a snowhobbit!” they answered, excited.

The two children had seen snow before, but that there was so much of the white beauty was unusual.
 
Paladin sighed. He had nothing against snow. The countryside looked beautiful and the children could have their fun.

He, himself, as a lad had loved to build snowhobbits and to have snowball fights. The two day journey to Buckland however would not be easy with that much snow on the ground and it could also make their travel quite uncomfortable.

Paladin entered the kitchen and gave his wife and his daughters a kiss, before sitting down on his place at the table. Through the kitchen window he could see Pervinca and Pippin building their snowhobbit.

Laughing, they rolled big balls and with their united strength, they lifted them up.

Soon the snowhobbit was ready to get the broom put into his hand and the hat on his head. Out of pieces of goal the children made eyes and buttons for the mouth and waistcoat.

Pippin pulled a scarf out of his coat and whirled it around the snowhobbit`s neck, while Pervinca stuck the big carrot right in the middle of the round white face.
 
"Done!“ the lass called. “I will get Ma and Da to come and look, Pip! You wait here!”

While Pervinca ran off, Pippin stood next to the snowhobbit and looked at him. He was beautiful.
The gaze of the child wandered to the long, orange nose.

Pippin licked his lips. “Hmm, the carrot looks really juicy!” Pippin thought and stretched out his little arm. If he would only taste one little bit, it would not hurt anybody. Pervinca would probably not even notice.

Pippin took a bite.

“Cold, but tasty!” he said to himself and took another bite. In no time the carrot suddenly was only half as long as it had been.

"Oh“, Pippin mumbled and looked around guiltily.

Pervinca with their parents and sisters in tow, was already on her way back.
Fast Pippin stuck the rest of the nose back into the snowy face.

"Pippin!“ he heard the angry voice of his sister calling out. “How could you! You ate his nose!”

"I did not!“ the lad defended himself and pointed at the now short carrot nose. “Look, there´s still a whole lot of nose there! And besides I have not had breakfast yet!”

"Always you have to ruin everything!“ Pervinca shouted. The snowhobbit does not look good anymore!”

"Darling“, Eglantine tried to smooth the upcoming argument. “ Why don´t we go inside and pick out a nice, new carrot as a nose for your snowhobbit?

"No, I don´t want to now!“ Pervinca said and threw an icy glare at her little brother, who stuck out his tongue at her, which brought him a firm look from his father.

****************

Soon the family Took was on their way to Buckland. They wore their warmest coats and were wrapped in wool blankets.

They had decided to drive today till the “Tree and Leaf Inn”, which was halfway between the Tooklands and Buckland, where they planned to spend the night.

The next day they wanted to make it the rest of the way to Brandy Hall.
Paladin was driving the cart, he clicked with his tongue and the pony started to jog through the snow.

Like all ponies that had grown up in the rather hilly region of the Tooklands, it was a very sure-footed animal and had no difficulties in finding a safe way through the close blanket of snow.
 
Pippin was sitting between Pervinca and Pearl. Eglantine and Pimpernel sat opposite.

Eglantine and the lasses talked excitedly about the festivities. “I bet that Uncle Gorbulas will sing that terrible Yule song about the tipsy mouse again this year!” Pearl laughed.

"Yes and Aunt Asphodel has probably knitted gloves for me again. I already have eight pairs from her, and all of them are itchy!” Pervinca added.

"You will nevertheless say 'Thank you' politely won´t you Vinca?“ Eglantine reminded her daughter who was sometimes quite bold.

"Of course mother! I am a lady!” the lass replied.
 
Pippin put a hand over his mouth and snorted, laughing. “A lady….!”

Pervinca narrowed her eyes and glared at her brother angrily, but before she could say something, Eglantine interrupted.  

"Pippin, that wasn't very nice! Apologize to your sister!”

Pippin´s face clouded over. “But…”

"Pippin!“ Eglantine arched an eyebrow in silent warning.

"Sorry Vinca!“ Pippin grumbled and than looked with an angry frown on his face in the other direction.

"I would like to accept your apology, but you do not mean it seriously!“ Pervinca shot back.

"I have apologized! If you don´t…”

"Children!“ the firm voice of Paladin interrupted them. “You will stop this bickering this instant otherwise you both can walk to Buckland!”

Of course Pervinca and Pippin knew that their father did not mean this threat seriously, but nevertheless it had the desired affect and they fell silent.

Pearl cleared her throat. “Uhm…how would it be, if we sing a Yule song?” she asked and hoped that the tensed atmosphere might cheer up a bit.
 
"That is a very good idea, Pearl!“ Eglantine agreed and gave her oldest daughter a grateful look.

"How about "In the Yule Backery“?“ Pimpernel suggested. She also understood Pearl´s purpose and knew that Pippin loved this particular children´s song and that Pervinca still had fun with it as well.
 
Pearl nodded smiling and started to sing. Pimpernel, Eglantine and Paladin added in their own voices at once.

"In the Yule bakery,
there is many a tasty treat!
From flour and milk,
in a big, sticky mess
does some little bloke
make lovely things to eat!
In the Yule bakery!
In the Yule bakery! "

(From a German Children´s Song by Rolf Zuckowski)
 
After a short hesitation, Pervinca started to sing as well and finally so did Pippin. He got louder and louder in a try to sound over his sister.

However Pervinca was not so easy to outsing and she also got louder. In the end the children shouted the song into the silent countryside around.

Eglantine shook her head sighing, while Pearl clapped her hands over her ears and Pimpernel rolled her eyes.

"Pervinca! Peregrin! You will both be silent now!“ Paladin stopped the singing fight with a loud voice. “I do not want to hear one more word out of either of you! Is that understood?”

Pouting, the children turned their backs to each other and stayed silent.

***************

Tired and cold the Hobbits finally reached with the beginning of the evening the "Tree and Leaf Inn“.

Quickly they hurried inside and Paladin paid for two rooms for his family.

Pearl opened the door to the room that she was to share with her sibling. Pervinca was standing right beside her.

"I claim the bed at the window“, the younger lass called, but before she could even set foot into the room, Pippin pressed himself through the shallow space between his sisters, ran to the bed by the window and throw himself upon it.

“Too late, Vinca! I will be sleeping here!”

"Pippin!“ Pervinca shouted angrily,"I said that this is MY bed! Get down!”

She grabbed her brother´s legs and pulled, while Pippin hold firmly onto the bed with his hands. “Let me go! Let me go!” he screamed loudly.

"Vinca! Pip! Now stop this!“ Pearl exclaimed. “What should the other visitors think?”

"I don´t care! That is my bed!” Vinca´replied stubbornly. “Get down from there, you….”

"What is the matter here?“ Paladins voice came angrily from the door. “Have you two gone mad? Stop this shouting at once!”

The children turned around and stared at their father in shock.

"But father, Pervinca protested, "Pippin just got onto my bed, even after I said....“

"Pervinca! In this room there are four perfectly good beds! You are the older one of you two. Just take another bed and stop pulling at your brother!”

"But father...“

"No buts! Make yourself presentable. In ten minutes we will be having dinner!“

With these words he left the room and closed the door behind him.

Pervinca gave Pippin a deadly cold glare, while she sat down on the bed the one most furthest away from her brother, and opened her bag.

Pippin put on his sweetest smile and made himself comfortable on the bed.

"Pearl?“ Pimpernel asked in the stretching silence. " Would you please be so nice as to fix my hair? I can´t do it so nicely as you.”

While Pearl helped her sister Pervinca also started to get herself ready.

While she was combing her hair she felt that eyes were boring into her back.

She turned around and saw that Pippin was staring at her from his bed.
"Pippin! Stop staring at me!“

Pippin ignored her words and continued his game.

"Pippin“ Pervinca growled dangerously.

"I am allowed to look, where I want to look!“ Her brother shot back.

“But not at me!”

“Sure!”

“No!”

“Yes!”

"Silence!“ Pearl called. As the oldest one she felt it was her responsibility to reign her siblings in, when their parents weren´t there.
“Pippin you stop annoying Vinca now and get yourself ready for dinner. You too Vinca!” Firmly she looked at her siblings.

“What are you waiting for? Hurry up! Otherwise I will get Ma and Da to come here!”

**************

Look Da!" Pippin exclaimed as the family settled at the table and began looking over the menu board. “If you buy each of us stuffed mushrooms than you only need to pay fourteen pence!”

Pervinca quickly looked at the price, which she usually ignored, after all, she wasn't the one having to pay.

One plate with stuffed mushrooms, bread and some other tasty food was listed at two pence.

"You can't even add Pippin, you dunce!" she crowed loudly. "You'd be charging Da two pence more than what it really costs. Learn your sums Pippin!"

It was amazing how quiet a room full of hobbits could become. The ten other patrons stared at Paladin Took's family; the two children among them pointing at Pippin and laughing.

"Oughtn't he be old enough to do sums Da?" they clearly heard the youngest of them say.

Pippin had flushed with anger at his sister's outburst, but now he went frightfully pale. All he wanted to do was crawl away and hide.

"I'm never talking to you again," he coldly and quietly said to Pervinca. "Not ever, never again ever. I hate you." His lower lip was trembling, his voice was unsteady and tears were pooling in his eyes.

Pervinca knew she had gone too far, but something inside her just would not back down.

"Fine with me, Peregrin!" she shouted back.

Paladin stood. "I think my family can handle our own affairs," he said to the staring patrons. They all hurriedly turned back to their meals and continued their conversations.

"Pervinca look at me." Paladin now turned to his youngest daughter.

Slowly the lass looked up to meet the eyes of her father.

"That was more than enough. To tease your brother around our family is bad enough, to insult him publicly is uncalled for. Go to your room and get yourself ready for the night. Dinner is finished for you! We will talk tomorrow!”

Tears were running down Pervinca´s cheeks. Angrily she jumped up and ran out of the dining room.

Eglantine cradled a sobbing Pippin in her arms and looked at Paladin wearily.
The Tooks finished their meal in silence.

**************

The next morning the family was already up and about early because they wanted to leave in time, so as to be at Brandy hall before dark.

Eglantine took Pervinca after breakfast to the side and had a serious conversation with her. With tears in her eyes, somewhat subdued, the lass afterwards neared her brother, who was standing with his back to her at the cart, putting his rucksack inside.

“Pippin?” she asked, feeling insecure.

Pippin stopped what he was doing for a second, but then decided to ignore his sister.

"Pip?“ Pervinca tried again. "Listen Pip, I am sorry. I should not have said what I did yesterday.”

Pippin had opened his rucksack and seemed to search for something inside, but he still did not react to his sister.

Eglantine came to them. “Pippin, your sister is trying to apolozise to you. Turn around and face her please.”

Pippin turned around and looked at his mother. “Which sister?” he asked. “I cannot see Pearl or Nell. They must still be inside.”

Pervinca turned pale and tears threatened to fall. Then her expression changed to an angry one.

Eglantine placed a calming hand on her daughters shoulder.

“Peregrin….” She started with a warning tone, but she did not finish the sentences; one look into her son´s face showed her that at this moment all her troubles would be for nothing.

“Get into the cart", she sighed. " We will talk later about your behaviour.”

The whole rest of the journey there was a cold silence between Pippin and Pervinca. All their parent`s efforts to reconcile them had failed.

Annoyed and with their mood at its lowest point, they passed over the borders to Buckland and finally reached the bright shining lights of Brandy Hall, out of the doors of which the inviting, spicy smell of many dainty Yule morsels emanated.

**************

Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck came running to greet their newly arrived guests.

“Pal, Tine, Children," Esmeralda called. "How nice you are here. Come inside. How was the journey?”

Eglantine sighed. “Don´t ask.”

"Peregrin! Pervinca!" Paladin said at that moment in a stern voice. “Take your rucksacks and go at once to your guestrooms. You are to wait there for me!”

“What did the two scoundrels do?” Saradoc asked wondering.

Seldom had he seen Paladin with such a dark face, as normally he had nerves like steel, which was necessary with Pippin for a son.

“Where should I start?” Paladin answered him.

**************

Pippin stomped through the Hall up to Merry´s  room. He and Frodo, would like always, when Yule was celebrated at Brandy Hall, share the room with Merry, while Pervinca together with her sisters would be staying at Frodo´s old room.

Without knocking, Pippin tore the door open and shut it loudly behind him.

Frodo and Merry, who were sitting on Merry´s bed, playing a game of chess, looked up in astonishment. Then their faces brightened. “Pippin!” Merry called out joyfully.

“You are here already! I would have expected you to arrive later on today. How happy I am you are here!”

He embraced his little cousin.

Frodo also had stood up and moved to greet Pippin.

“Hullo Pip!" he said kneeling down before him. “Is everything alright? You do not look very happy.”

Pippin looked up at the faces of his cousins and his under lip began to tremble. Then he burst into tears. “Pervinca is so mean!” he sobbed into Merry's arms.

Frodo and Merry exchanged a look and said good bye to a relaxing evening of fun.

“What happened?” Merry asked, while he still was holding Pippin tightly in his arms.

Pippin started to tell his suffering, but was quickly interrupted by Paladin who marched through the door with Pervinca holding his hand. His face, as well as Pervinca`s looked dark and angry.

“Hello Frodo, Hello Merry”, Paladin greeted the lads shortly, before he turned to Pippin.

“Peregrin come here!” he said with a voice that left no choice.

“I do want that the both of you apolozise to each other NOW! You have cost your mother and I enough nerves by now. We will not let you destroy Yule.”

Paladin pulled Pippin a step nearer to Pervinca so that the children stood facing each other.

“Apolozise!” he ordered.

Pervinca crossed her arms before her chest and glared angrily at Pippin. Pippin did the same to her.

“What are you waiting for?” Paladin scowled. “Give each other your hands!”

The children did not move.

"You do not want to? Than you have to live with the consequences. There will be no Yule presents for you this year!”

“What?” Pippin and Pervinca screamed as one, shocked.

“But Da, that is not fair. Pippin started it all!”

“That is not true. You….”

“Silence! For your behaviour neither of you have earned any presents. Wash your hands and come to the dinner. And behave!”

With these words Paladin left the room.

Pervinca turned to Pippin angry. “This is all your fault! She shouted before she ran of the room, banging the door shut behind her.

Pippin ran to the door and threw it open again. “I hate you all!” he

shouted and then ran to his bed and flung himself upon it, weeping.

Merry ran over to him, sat down beside him and began rubbing the lad's back.

"There, there, Pip. It will be all right."

"No presents, Merry!" came a muffled reply.

"Well, at least she's not getting hers," Merry said lamely.

"Just what exactly happened, Pippin," Frodo asked from where he stood in the middle of the room. He wanted to know the whys and wherefores of this whole unhappy mess.

"Vinca's mean!" Pippin spat out.

"That's nice, Pippin. How did it all start, I asked."

The lad took a few deep breaths before uncurling and rolling onto his back.

He stared at the ceiling while twiddling about with the fringes on his scarf. He slowly told Frodo everything that had happened from his deciding the carrot looked tasty to the silent end of the family's drive to Brandy Hall.

Merry kept commenting on what Pippin was saying, though his comments were usually cut short by a look from Frodo.

"Well . . ." Frodo said slowly. "I don't see that you did anything all the awful. It was your snowhobbit as well as Vinca's."

"Yes it was," Pippin finally looked at Frodo, a small gleam of hope in his eyes.


"But you need not have eaten it. You knew it would upset her. It would have upset you if she had eaten some and not asked you if you would mind."

"Well . . ." Pippin said softly. Frodo had a good point there, if for no other reason than Pippin would have wanted a share of the carrot if Vinca had been the one to nibble on it.

"And you really shouldn't have kept at each other as you have. You've both driven your mother and father to distraction. " Frodo was shaking his head. "Cousin Paladin looks exhausted."

Pippin wished he was under the blankets so he could cover his head. He and Pervinca really had made the trip miserable for the whole family.

"And I'm sure she didn't mean to be so loud at the inn . . ."

"Yes she did!" Pippin exploded. "She did. She was grinning while she was saying it really loudly so that everyone could hear her. You don't understand at all!"

Pippin pushed at Merry. “And you don’t either!

Go away! Go away and don't talk to me. You don't like me either! You think I'm a dunce too. Go away!"

With that, Pippin rolled back onto his side, face to the wall, and curled up into a little ball. His older cousins looked at each other. They both knew they would get no further with him.

"All right, Pippin," Frodo softly said. "Maybe we will come back after we eat."

"Bye Pip," Merry said as he trailed after Frodo. "I'll come back later if you want me to."

Pippin said nothing and his two cousins left him to his thoughts, closing the door behind them.

***********

Later that evening Frodo and Merry came back. Silently they opened the door and looked inside the room. It was dark and calm. The only thing to hear was Pippin´s even breathing.

Frodo put a finger to his lips. “Pssst” he said and the Hobbits tiptoed inside the room.

While Frodo took care of the fire that nearly had gone out, Merry put a plate with food that he had brought with him at the night table between his bed and Pippin´s.

He stroked the sleeping child´s soft curls.

“We should undress him and put him into his night shirt, Frodo” he said, and bend down to Pippin rucksack that was lying at the floor.

"Merry?“ Pippin suddenly whispered. "Merry, I am hungry.“

Merry laughed. “What a surprise Pip!”

Pippin sat up sleepily and Merry gave him the plate. After Pippin had eaten it all up he looked at the floor, subdued.

“I am sorry..” he murmured and then stood up to embrace first Merry and then Frodo.

With his big green eyes he searched Frodo´s face for any trace of anger, but he found only a smile.

Happily he snuggled up to his older cousin. “Would you tell us a story Frodo?”

“First changing then story!” Frodo laughed and before he knew what happened Pippin clothes were flying through the air landing ins heap on the floor and the lad was digging in his rucksack in the search for his night shirt.

Cuddled together the three Hobbits finally where lying comfortably on a bed and Frodo started to tell his story.

***********

The next morning the cousins were awake early and after breakfast they were running outside in the snow.

Happily they chased each other through the white beauty. Soon Berilac, Doderic, Ilberic and Merimas came along as well.

Doderic and Ilberic brought their sleds. Laughing the lads pulled each other with them, racing, sliding down the hills or throwing snowballs at each other.

“Can we play too?” a bright voice suddenly asked and the lads turned around.

On the edge of the field a group of lasses was standing, under them Pervinca.

Pippin stopped and narrowed his eyes when he noticed his sister and Pervinca did not look happy either when she saw Pippin.

“Let us have a snowball fight!” called lberic. “Lads against lasses!”

Most of the children agreed to his idea. Only the Took siblings said nothing. But still the youngsters got to work to build up a snow fort and to fill up the snow ball reserves.

Frodo sat back for a while, leaning his back against the trunk of a large tree.

“An old Hobbit like I am needs some rest now and then,” he had told the lads and was now happy to observe his cousins and friends in their play.

Soon the snowball fight had started and everyone seemed to be having fun.

Everyone? No, not everyone, Frodo sighed and shook his head.

Pippin and Pervinca ignored all the other children and were attacking each other furiously with snowballs. Their lips were tightly pressed together and there eyes narrowed. Not one trace of a smile were to see in their faces.

The two were throwing so hard that mostly they were missing each other. In an effort to land more shots, they were moving closer and closer together.

Frodo braved being hit to move in between the siblings.

"That's enough, Pippin. Vinca." he said firmly.

They stopped mostly because neither one of them wished to hit Frodo.

"I have an idea for a game," he said just to them, then raised his voice.

"Everyone! Everyone stop a moment and gather 'round. I've a way to make this even more interesting. "

The children and youngsters gathered around Frodo.

"All of you lads will be one kingdom, and all the lasses will be another kingdom.

This," he shoved Pippin forward to stand in front of the lads, "is your prince. And this," he guided Pervinca by her shoulders to stand facing the lasses, "is your princess. The object of the game is to capture your opponent's ruler. Anyone who is hit by three snowballs is out of the game. The team that loses all its soldiers loses their ruler and the game."

He turned his attention to Pippin and Pervinca who were eyeing each other in a dangerous manner.

"Now, you two. You can't get into the fight because they can't protect you if you do. You can't throw any snowballs, but you get to tell all your soldiers what to do so that they get rid off all the enemy soldiers. Any one who hits the rulers is out of the game, so the rest of you can't aim for them just because they can't fight back.'

Frodo waved his hand toward a tree to his right. "Lasses and Princess Pervinca, there is your realm!" He waved toward a small boulder to his left. "Lads and Prince Pippin, there is your realm. Once you are all behind the marker of your realm . . ."

He paused as all the children scampered to their countries, then shouted, "Begin the Battle!"

It was a long and fierce war and the lads put up a valiant fight, but in the end the fact that there were more older lasses than older lads won the day for the lasses.

"Prince Pippin is captured!" Frodo declared. " The fight is over. You all fought very bravely. Now, all soldiers and their rulers are to go inside the huge castle," he gestured toward the Hall, "and partake of warming drinks and filling food."

*************

Later the same day Esmeralda called all children under twenty years to the kitchens for baking cinnamon snails. A Buckland tradition for many ages.

But now Pippin and Pervinca began misbehaving once more and so Esmeralda finally had to send the siblings out of the kitchen, so that at least the other children could enjoy the baking.

Both children were sad, because they loved to bake the tasty Yule pastry with their aunt, but instead of finding their own faults, each was blaming the other.

Their arguing echoed loudly through Brandy Hall and reached the ears of their parents as well.

“I will look to that darling, “ Paladin said and got up.

Angrily he stamped to his fighting children and grabbed them by the arms, than he shouted “Peregrin! Pervinca! That is enough now!”

With big steps Paladin marched across the floor, one child´s arm in his right hand, the other in his left.

Pippin cried loudly, while Pervinca put on her best pouting face.

The loud howling disturbed many.

Hobbits of every age stuck their head out of the many doors the three passed by. Everyone of them had noticed, when the Whitwell Tooks had arrived, that there was a fight going on between the two youngest.

Shaking their heads and rolling there eyes they looked behind Paladin and his children.

“I hope all this screaming soon has an end!” Seredic said annoyed to his wife Hilde while he cleaned out his pipe.

“All this noise is not to cope with!” groaned Amaranth Brandybuck some doors further on and rubbed on her temples.

“Paladin should put those two over his knee!” old Rorimac grumbled, who had been gotten disturbed in his afternoon nap.

Also Merry and Berilac looked out of Berilac´s room in which they had been playing a game of draughts.

“Does this never end?” Berilac asked annoyed.

Merry just shrugged his shoulders and sighed deeply.

In one of the many public rooms Frodo at the same time put his nose even deeper into the book about Elven history, that he had brought with him from Hobbiton and decided to ignore the howling and let Paladin handle this situation.

Paladin Took in the meantime shoved his son into Merry's room. “Get ready for bed!”

“But it is way too early to go to bed!” Pippin protested sobbing and stomped his food on the ground.

“For you it is bedtime NOW and you will not leave this room today again. I want that you think about your behaviour! The same for you Pervinca! Go to your room! I and everyone else here had enough of that ill behaviour you two show.”

************

Pippin was sitting by the window and looked at the snowflakes that silently fell from heaven to earth. He sighed. The whole year he had looked forward to Yule and now this! No presents and he had to stay on his room! And all because of Vinca!

Outside the grey dusk changed his dress against the black one of the night and the moon looked secretly out behind the clouds.

Bang, Bang, Bang.

A loud knocking suddenly echoed through Brandy hall and Pippin jerked up.

Bang, Bang, Bang.

On tiptoes he crept to the door of his room and looked outside into the dark floor. Everything was silent, no laughing was to hear and no vices.

“Ma?” Pippin called. "Da? Merry? Frodo?“

Nobody answered.

"Auntie Esme? Uncle Doc? Hello?

Where is everyone?“

Bang Bang, Bang.

Pippin started to feel scared.

As fast as his legs could carry him he ran to the sleeping chamber of his parents and looked inside. It was empty.

“Ma?” Da?” he shouted desperately.

Pippin ran through the corridors and looked inside the other rooms and the dining hall, but everything was empty and it seemed as if no one had been in there for a long time.

Dust was on the chairs and tables and cobwebs hung from the ceiling.

Pippin started to cry.

Bang, Bang, Bang

Cautiously Pippin crept nearer to the main entrance of Brandy Hall.

“Hello?” he asked. “Who is there?”

Bang, Bang, Bang.

Again he heard the knocking.

“Open!” suddenly a deep voice said.

“Who are you?” Pippin asked. Panic began to rise up inside him.

“Open!” the voice repeated.

Pippin did not want to open the door. He wanted to run away and to hide under a bed. He wanted his Mama, but something was drawing him and and like magic, his hand was drawn to the doorknob.

***********

Pervinca sat cross legged on her bed and tried to read a book, but she could not seem to find any concentration for this task. Her thoughts were racing around in her head and she was angry. She had to stay in her room! How could her father made her stay in her room? Her!

Pippin had started it all. This stupid little brother of hers. Why did her parents have to have a fourth child after her?

Bang Bang Bang.

Pervinca jerked. Who was knocking at the door so loudly?

Bang Bang Bang.

Bang Bang Bang.

Why was no one opening the door?

Silently she sat up, crept to the door of her room and looked outside.

She left the room and walked slowly through the dark corridor. Where was everyone?

Bang Bang Bang.

Was that supposed to be a joke? Pervinca wondered. If so, she did not find it funny at all.

Bang Bang Bang.

Undecided, the lass stood still in front of the main entrance.

“Open!” a dark voice spoke.

Pervinca´s hand strayed to the doorknob and with a cracking the door opened.

The eyes of the girls grew wide and she made a step back.

************

A big hand landed on Pippin´s head and the deep voice started to speak again.

“Come.”

“To where?” Pippin asked with a trembling voice.

“Come.”

Pippin looked around astonished. The sun was burning his skin and he heard a dog barking.

He was home. He was at the farm in Whitwell.

How did that happen that he was suddenly here? He wondered, but the sound of giggling distracted his thoughts.

Curiously he followed it and finally stopped under a big oak tree.

The giggling seem to come from way in the branches.

Pippin looked up and saw…. himself.

"What the...“ he thought but again his thoughts got interrupted.

A scream could be heard over all the farm and then a loud bump, when his second self landed on the sandy ground at the food of the tree.

Pippin remembered this.

It happened two years ago in the summer. He had fallen out of the tree and broke his arm.

“Pippin! Pippin! What has happened?“

Pervinca came running over the field and took him in her arms. “Oh Pip, calm down, Shh, dearest. Everything will be all right.” His sister said in a soothing voice, while she rocked the Pippin of the past gently in her arms.

Suddenly the scene changed and Pippin stood on one side of a big bed. Next to him stood his father and Pearl and Nell. His mother was lying in the bed and wore a beautiful smile upon her face. Pervinca was sitting next to Eglantine had was holding something small, wrapped up in blankets, in her arms.

“You are a big sister now, Vinca.” He heard his mother saying.

The little lass beamed happily over her whole face and gave the sleeping baby in her arms a gentle kiss on the forehead. “I love you, little brother!” she whispered into baby Pippin´s ear.

Again the scene changed and Pippin was standing next to a very nicely decorated Yule tree.

“Pippin, he heard his mother say, give Pervinca back her new horsy please darling.”

“It is alright mother. Pippin can play with it if he wants to so much. I can play with it later.”

The past Pippin and the present Pippin smiled at Pervinca.

“Tant yu Vinta!” the past Pippin called out and throw himself into his big sister´s arms.

Tears were streaming down Pippin´s face. Why had he been so mean to Vinca? He had been angry with her, true,but he nevertheless loved her. Why had he behaved so very badly towards her?

Pippin opened his eyes and sat up sleepily. Where was he? Confused he looked around and then noticed Merry´s room. He stood up, walked to the door and opened it silently.

From the hall he could hear laugher and voices and he smelled the marvelous odor of grilled beef.

Pippin crept from his room. His father had said he had to stay in there, but Pippin had something very important to do.

The child hurried over the corridor to the door, where he knew Pervinca was behind.

He put an ear to the door and listened. He could hear sobbing. Hesitating he knocked.

“Yes?” Pervinca asked and Pippin opened the door.

Pervinca was sitting on her bed, her back leaning against the wall and her legs pulled up. Her eyes were red and swollen and her face wet with tears.

“Pippin!” she called and jumped up. “Oh Pippin, I had a dream and…I…I am so sorry Pippin! I do not wanted to hurt you! You are no dunce!”

Pippin embraced his sister.

“I am so very sorry to, Vinca! I should have not been so annoying to you the whole time. And also it is not true that I hate you. I love you very very much!”

*************

Later that evening Pearl and Pimpernel walked laughing to their room and opened the door.

Astonished they stopped in the entrance and fell silent.

A smile lit their faces.

“Nell”, Pearl said. “quickly, go get Ma and Da!”

Soon Eglantine, Paladin, their daughters, as well as Frodo, Merry and his parents were standing at the door, looking inside the room.

Smiling they all looked at Pervinca and Pippin, who were lying arm in arm, tightly wrapped up in a blanket and with a book lying in front of them, on the bed, sleeping deeply and soundly.

“Now we will be getting a happy Yule at last” Eglantine sighed contentedly and cuddled deeper into the strong arms of her husband, who happily pressed her to him.

-The End-





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List