Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Time to Hope  by PipMer

Pippin didn't like the fact that he barely had enough energy to sit up, let alone hold a spoon to feed himself. He tried to be self-deprecating to lighten the mood as Merry patiently and tenderly fed him his porridge. Merry could tell that Pippin was embarrassed by how helpless he was, so he made every effort to be as understanding as possible. It was easy to do, considering how relieved and grateful Merry felt at having Pippin awake, alert, and eager for conversation.

"Merry, tell me about Frodo and Sam. Have you seen them? When are they supposed to wake up? Has the Ring truly been destroyed?"

Merry laughed gleefully. "Yes, in a few days, and yes. My, you're certainly making up for not talking for six days, aren't you? Not that I'm complaining," he added hastily. "Now I know how you felt as you waited for Strider to come and wake me up in Minas Tirith. Now all we have to do is wait for Frodo and Sam to wake up. When they were first brought here, Strider said they would probably remain asleep for a fortnight. So they'll probably wake up in another week or so. They won't believe their eyes, Pip! We've grown at least three inches since we saw them last! And you're now a guard of the citadel. Frodo will be so proud! Just as I am; I am so very proud of you, Pip." Merry blinked back tears.

Pippin reached out and clasped Merry's arm. "I'm proud of you, too, Mer. You've been ever so brave, stabbing the Witch-King, and then defeating the Shadow in order to come back to us. And it takes a special kind of bravery to set watch over your loved ones as they struggle to survive their injuries. Now that I'm awake, I can keep watch with you, over Frodo and Sam. As soon as I can get out of this confounded bed, I'll go with you to hold vigil."

"Don't be in too much of a rush; you need much rest as you can get, to save your strength, if you're going to be able to test your legs tomorrow as Strider expects. Although I don't see how he can expect that; you're still as weak as a babe, to my eyes. Are you done with this porridge, Pip?"

"Yes, I'm done, Merry. And I am actually feeling a lot stronger than I did when you first came in after Strider was done with me. I think that bit of food has helped tremendously." Pippin shifted as he attempted to sit up. Merry, ever solicitous, sucked in his breath as he rushed to Pippin's side.

"Careful, cousin!"

Pippin pushed himself upward with his fists dug into his mattress until he wasn't touching his pillows. "I'm alright, Merry, it doesn't hurt at all. And look, I can sit up without support!"

"Just take it easy Pip", Merry worried, concern lacing his words. His brow was creased with worry as he supported his cousin with an arm around his shoulder. "You can't expect to be up and walking the same day you wake up from an extended sleep."

Pippin smiled indulgently, realizing what Merry had been through while glued to his bedside. "Yes, Mum, thanks for reminding me. I wouldn't remember on my own how exhausted I feel, even after six days sleep, since my body has surpassed its stored energy by healing my injured bits. Just because I feel like I could sleep for another week doesn't mean that I have a lot of healing yet to do, I'm sure."

Merry laughed. It was just so good to see Pippin joking around, smiling, laughing. And it had been so close....Merry blinked away the tears that threatened to spill over. It hadn't come to that, so it was no good dwelling on the might-have-beens. Pippin was alive and healing, and so were Frodo and Sam; that was all that mattered.

All of a sudden, Pippin's face became as white as a sheet; he clutched his abdomen, murmuring, "Hurts", and swooned into Merry's embrace, becoming unconcious once again.

Terrified, Merry clutched Pippin's body tightly. Panic-stricken, he shouted loudly, "Strider! Somebody, get Strider, quickly. Help! HELP!!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List