Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Time to Hope  by PipMer

Merry startled himself awake. His glance swiftly landed on Pippin; there was no movement, and not the whisper of a sound. What, then, had awakened him?

Shaking his head groggily, Merry stumbled to the wash basin, wet the available towel and wiped his face. He looked at his hands, and was surprised to see them trembling. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and tried to remember if he had been dreaming.

Then he remembered. He had been having that dream again. The one where he watches in horror as an orc runs Pippin through with a sword. Running towards his cousin, Merry is screaming at the top of his lungs. When he finally reaches Pippin, he turns him over, and is met with green, lifeless eyes staring back at him. Choking back a sob, Merry puts two fingers on Pippin's neck, and feels nothing; not even the faintest flutter of a heartbeat. Merry tenderly cradles Pippin's body in his arms as he slumps to the ground. He starts to keen as he rocks back and forth, stroking Pippin's face and willing him to just breathe, damn it, breathe and wake up, wake up, Pippin, WAKE UP.…

Merry forced his thoughts from the dream to the present. He took another deep breath, and started walking back to where Pippin lay sleeping. Tears were falling unheeded down his cheeks as he took Pippin's hand and brought it to his lips. He sat down, leaned over and smoothed Pippin's hair back from his brow.

"Oh, Pippin," Merry murmured. "You were ever so brave, and I'm so very proud of you. It's time to come back to me now. Sam and Frodo still sleep, and will for some time yet, but you have to wake up. You need to keep your Merry from going crazy here. No one else will laugh at my jokes the way you do, Pippin. No one else has the patience. Strider says that you're healing nicely, and that when you wake up I'm to help you with your exercises. I never thought I'd say this, but I could do with some endless Tookish chatter about now." Merry stroked Pippin's cheek with his fingertips. "I swear I'll never tell you to be quiet again, if only I could hear your sweet voice."

Almost imperceptibly, Merry felt a slight pressure on the hand holding Pippin's. Heartened, Merry searched Pippin's face for signs of life. Ever so slowly, Pippin's eyelids fluttered open, and Merry was looking into two emerald green eyes. Softer than a breath, Pippin whispered, "Merry?"

Joy flooded Merry's heart, and he couldn't help but laugh out loud through his tears. "Yes, dearest, I'm here. Welcome back."

-----------------------------------------------------

The next day, Merry rejoiced all day long. Nothing could quell his spirits, not even being banned from Pippin's tent until Aragorn finished tending to him and giving the healer his instructions. He was in and out of Frodo and Sam's tent, staying just long enough to give the unconscious hobbits updates on Pippin's condition. When Merry finally was allowed back in to see Pippin, he was given strict instructions to not over-excite his injured cousin. "He desperately needs rest, Merry, "Aragorn said sternly. "I don't want him up and about until tomorrow, when you can help him walk around the inside of his tent. I don't want to exert him unduly and undo all the healing he has done so far. Do you understand?"

Merry made an effort to sublimate his excitement. He felt such overwhelming relief, and gratitude, that Pippin was awake and recovering. "I understand, Strider. I promise I won't do anything to hinder Pippin's recovery. I just want to talk to him, be by his side for awhile."

Aragorn smiled. "Of course. I'm having some porridge brought to Pippin in a bit, that's all I think he can handle at the moment. I'd like for you to assist him as needed. Can I count on you?"

Merry grinned. "Of course you can! I've already eaten through to luncheon, so I'll concentrate on Pip and make sure he gets some solid food in him. How much should he eat?"

"Only as much as he can handle. Don't force a certain amount into him; it's way too early to be doing that. I want to see if he keeps this down, and then I'll move him on to more substantial fare. He kept the broth down up until now with no difficulties, but I’m not sure how his stomach will react to more solid food at this point. I have a healer assigned to him who will be in and out, and who will bring him his food. Make sure you don't interfere with whatever he needs to do."

Aragorn hating talking to Merry as if he were a child, but he knew what newly kindled hope could do to a person; it could make them lose their head unless they kept their wits about them. These creatures were so innocent, and Aragorn hated that they had been subjected to the horrors that they had been through. He wasn't sure how realistic Merry's expectation was as to the rate of Pippin's recovery, and he wanted to make sure he understood that it would be a slow, painstaking process. The two younger hobbits had never shown much proof that they could be patient, although Merry had been VERY patient up to this point; although if Pippin had stayed asleep for much longer, Aragorn had a feeling that the older hobbit would have been very difficult to be around.

"I understand, Strider, truly I do. I won't overexcite Pippin, I won't force him to eat anymore than he wants, and I won't get in the healer's way. Anything else?"

Aragorn smiled. "No, I think that about does it. I'll come around about dinner time to check on him again; meanwhile, I'll leave him to your tender mercies."

Merry grinned. "Thanks, Strider," and he turned and walked into Pippin's tent to await the arrival of the porridge.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List