Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Allee's Odds and Ends  by Allee

Cry of Life

Summary: When silence signifies only death, cries become a welcome sign of hope. Not truly a sequel to Signs of Life, but it does allude to that vignette.


Bloodied hands labored skillfully, unflustered by the task. Gently, diligently they worked, aiding the one in crisis.

The prone body let out a piercing scream, then fell silent. For now.

In a neighboring room, the Man waited, the cries tearing his heart, the intermittent silence more harrowing still. Unbidden memories stirred; the aftermath of the Battle at Helm’s Deep, when silence bespoke only death, woke again in his mind’s eye. How he would have welcomed screams of pain, both then and now, for they were the signs of life.

Another scream; the Man grimaced. Nothing could he do to ease the suffering. His only recourse was to wait.

Now came forth a softer cry issued by a new voice, truly the cry of life!

The skilled hands wiped themselves clean, their work complete. Their owner exited the room, for though the task of the hands lay finished, the happy duty of the mouth had yet to begin.

“My Lord King,” the woman exclaimed, bursting through the doors and falling at once into a deep curtsy.

“What news?” asked Elessar anxiously.

The disheveled woman looked up, beaming. “It is well, my Lord. You have a son.”

A smile dawned unhindered to adorn the royal face, and tears announced his heartfelt joy, echoing the cry of life.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List