Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Great Hobbiton Race of 1435  by Llinos

You Knocked The Green Dragon Down!

by Llinos
beta Marigold

Pippin dropped one of his crutches with the shock and his doting wife immediately caught him under his arm to bolster him up. "I told you it was too soon!" Diamond remonstrated at Merry. "I'm taking him back to bed at once!"

"No… No!" Pippin steadied himself against Diamond and held out his arm for Frodo-lad to hand him back the errant crutch. "I'm fine, please dear, in fact I'm… I'm… simply splendid!"

If possible, the great engine that stood outside Bag End was more magnificent than anything Pippin had ever seen in the Shire. The glistening red enamelled paintwork was set off by the gleaming brass funnel and railings. The running boards and the wheels were coated in a deep ebony material, which had a spongy, porous quality and even the drivers' platform and the four-seater pillion behind were upholstered in the finest black leather.

To add to the splendour, the whole contraption had been decked out in flowers and ribbons and young Faramir was seated proudly next to his Uncle Merry at the controls, ringing a magnificent brass bell.

"Look Daddy! Look!" Faramir shouted to his wobbly father. "I'm on top!"

"Indeed you are, Farrie!" Pippin grinned at his excited son, as elated as his child.

"You be careful Faramir!" Diamond warned. "Hold on tightly."

"Don't worry Diamond love," Merry called back. "It's quite safe – now! Even Pippin won't fall off this time."

"We'll see about that!" Pippin lurched forward with crutches and grin firmly in place.

It actually took a good twenty minutes for Pippin to even get on this time and be safely ensconced in the centre of the leather pillion, Diamond seated nervously beside him. First he had had to limp all the way around the shining engine, inspecting every aspect of it. Then, before boarding, it was necessary to engage in a protracted argument with Merry and Diamond about why he should be allowed to drive.

"I'm sure it must be my turn," Pippin had tried, hopefully.

"You've still got a metal brace on your broken leg," Merry pointed out. "And there are now two foot pedals to operate."

"I could poke them with my crutch." Pippin knew he was on thin ground and tried one last ploy. "Besides, the last time you drove Merry, you knocked the Green Dragon down."

"Pippin!" Merry and Diamond spluttered in unison, finally putting paid to any further debate and Pippin settled back to enjoy the ride.

"How did you afford a new one?" Pippin knew the Brandybucks were rich, but he also knew how much the engine had cost, to say nothing of the transportation costs from Dale. "And how did you get it here so quickly?"

"Silly!" Merry laughed affectionately. "Though I can understand you not recognising it. This is our original engine!"

"But you said it was crushed?" Pippin patted the fine leather upholstery. "And it didn't have these seats on it before, nor half the things it's got now. What's that lever for?"

"Don't touch that!" Merry knew Pippin could not have reached the lever from behind, but old habits die hard. "It was the dwarves," Merry explained. "Florin and Dorin mostly, but they all helped – them and Matt Hammerstone. It was badly damaged but most of the bodywork and engine were still intact so they sent for new parts, from the Glittering Caves and from the Blue Mountains – got here in record time. We used those carrier pigeons Gimli left to send out the orders for what was needed."

"And you did it all in eight weeks?" Pippin was visibly impressed. "The exact time it took for me to be allowed out!"

"Well," Merry grinned sheepishly. "The healer actually said you could go out six days ago, but we weren't quite ready, so we persuaded him to… um… prolong your convalescence a tad."

"Merry!" Pippin gasped. "That was just heartless and cruel!"

"I know," Merry agreed, "but it was worth it to see the look on your face."

"Traitor," Pippin poked Merry in the back with his crutch. "So where are we going? At least I can enjoy you driving me around until my leg's better and I can drive again."

"Pippin," Merry turned to look at his cousin with a serious frown. "I'm not going to drive you all over the Shire for the next six months! However, we are going to take a little run today, to Bywater."

"Yes," Pippin's face fell. "I should survey the damage. See how it can be rebuilt, although I suppose it will take an awfully long time to get the right timbers if we're going to put it back as it was."

"Indeed," Merry let out the clutch and young Faramir blew the whistle as the engine trundled forward. "One of the few half-timbered buildings in the Shire and the only one in the East Farthing since the Grange went."

As the shiny machine progressed along the Bywater Road, hobbits began emerging from everywhere, cheering and throwing flowers and waving scarves, running alongside and behind the engine (although they all now had the sense not to run in front of it). The lasses were all decked out in their finest party frocks and the lads wore their best braces and waistcoats.

As the procession steamed into Bywater, the band waiting there struck up a new and lively arrangement of the Dandelion song. The Mayor, resplendent in his official robes, complete with tri-corner hat and Chain of Office was seated on the podium in front of the band. Across the top of the platform was a large banner with the legend, "Bravo Peregrin I – Thain of The Shire, Hero of the Day!"

It seemed as if everyone in the Shire had turned out for the celebration, and as Pippin's amazed eyes scanned the crowds he saw to his delight a group of Dwarves to the left of the platform, led by none other than Gimli and to the right was an assembly of Elven folk, and at their head was Legolas.

But even these wonders could not compare to the most stunning sight of all. Pippin's mouth dropped open and stayed open for several seconds before he could find the words. "Merry! But how?"

The Green Dragon stood there as if nothing worse had happened to it than a speedy whitewash and a severe case of new thatch. The thatcher had even woven into the roof, alongside his trademark swan, a dragon made of green rushes.

"Of course we probably couldn't have rebuilt it so quickly on our own – not to its original state but you know how news travels," Merry brought the engine to a halt in front of the pub. "But once the elves heard how the dwarves were helping us out with the engine and all, they brought new timbers from Fangorn."

"And you did all this in eight weeks?" Pippin's amazement was swiftly turning into total delight, followed by excitement, which automatically led to his next question. "Can we have a pint?"

"Not yet!" Merry hissed. "You've got to cut the ribbon first, I hope you have a good speech ready."

"You might have warned me!" Pippin muttered.

"I know," Merry whispered back. "But it would have spoiled the surprise. Besides, when were you ever lost for words?"

"Never as a rule," Pippin mumbled half under his breath. "But I'm thinking of making an exception for today!"

It took another 30 minutes for the Thain and his party to be seated on the podium. There was much shaking of hands, embracing, pats on the back and, of course, a long and joyful reunion with Legolas and Gimli.

"My dear hobbits, esteemed elves and noble dwarves," Sam opened the proceedings with what all could tell would be a long speech. But for once nobody minded, as all were eager to hear what he had to say, notwithstanding that many all ready knew the events that had taken place.

"We are here today to honour first and foremost, Captain Peregrin, Knight of Gondor and Thain of the Shire." Cheers erupted and Sam waited for the clamour to die down.

"But also to extend our heartfelt thanks to Lord Gimli of the Glittering Caves and his industrious and clever companions." There were more cheers. "Their work in restoring the Great Steam Vapour Spindle Activated Vegetation Dissection and Lubrication Apparatus has been without equal," Sam paused. "Except perhaps for the inestimable labours of our dear friend Prince Legolas Greenleaf and his people, whose loving work and timely procuring of the necessary timbers has restored our beloved Green Dragon to its former glory!" Great cheers at this.

Sam went on to congratulate and thank many others who had helped in the work, naming each in turn so that they could receive their due hoorays and applause.

"And finally," there was by this time a small ripple of relief. "To the Great Engine itself. Matt Hammerstone has worked closely with our dwarven friends to not only restore the marvellous machine, but has also incorporated many safety features and improvements to its design and purpose. I will now ask Matt to explain the quality and functions of the new design."

There was a definite groan as Matt stood up and shuffled a sheaf of papers in his hands. "Thank you Lord Mayor," Matt began nervously, he was not accustomed to speaking much at all, let alone public speaking. "In the new, improved engine we have incorporated a double spring loaded brake responder, coupled with a reverse observation reflection device and a two-tier balustrade enclosure system designed to prevent accidental egress and unmanned operation. Furthermore, the appliance is now fully equipped with a retractable conflagration extinguishing and irrigation apparatus as well as a wholly extendable turntable building entry device."

The hobbits were starting to mumble and mutter amongst themselves and it was not just the youngsters that were beginning to get restless. Matt had obviously been spending a lot of time working with the dwarves. Too much some might have said.

"Thank you Matt," Merry came to everyone's rescue. "It's good to know that there's an emergency brake, reversing mirrors, a new hose for putting out fires, a ladder for rescuing trapped hobbits and…" he finished with a flourish and a pointed look at Pippin. "No one should fall off it again!"

"What about the grass cutting?" Old Farmer Cotton, seated once more in his armchair, which had been specially transported to Bywater for the day, shouted. "You going to do any more of that?"

Merry lifted up his hand to silence the barrage of similar questions and general hubbub. "No," he stated firmly. "The cutting blades have not been reinstated. We have decided that the new improved engine is now to be used solely in the event of an emergency – to put out fires or to pump flood water – that type of thing."

"So what about the name?" Pippin asked with a grin.

"Ah yes!" Merry grinned back, then turned to the expectant crowd once more. "Esteemed dwarves, Florin and Dorin," Merry bowed to them each in turn, "have informed me it is now called, A Steam Vapour Spindle Activated Conflagration Extinguishing and Predicament Liberation Apparatus." The hubbub swelled once more with much shaking of heads and looks of puzzlement.

"However!" Sam took over. "With their honoured permission, we have decided to call it..."

Sam paused and everyone waited with bated breath.

"...A Fire Engine!"

The End
(except for the Epilogue)

A/N: Thanks for reading (and if you have) reviewing! Nearly finished now - just the epilogue, (well I couldn't end it there!)  So no more cliff-hangers, just a neat bow on the loose ends!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List