Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Growing Up Tales  by Baggins Babe

A sequel to 'A Merry Meeting,' Chapter 1 in this little group of stories.

Wedmath 1461 SR

The guests had been arriving all afternoon. The Mayor and his wife, together with Frodo, were settled comfortably within serving distance of the ale barrel and the Gamgee offspring had darted off to greet their eldest sister and her family. Even young Rosie had managed to wheedle Garnet Tunnelly into allowing her a week off to travel to Whitwell. Everyone was thrilled to see their cousins and friends again. Goldilocks was especially pleased to see Fari Took, the Master of Buckland swept Frodo into a warm and powerful hug and the Thain took a swig from his large tankard, which held a pint of Tuckborough's finest.

       Daisy, Primrose and Ruby hastened to greet their great friends, the Thain's daughters Athelas and Niphredil - known as Lass and Dilly - and the Master's only daughter Simbelmynë, although everyone called her Simmie. Merry called her the Flower of Buckland and was very proud of her. The six lasses had formed a huddle and were chattering animatedly.

       The young Hobbit Rangers were there - Freddy and Fari Took and Theo and Tornilac Brandybuck among others - and most of the lasses eyed them as they strolled past. Theo and Fari were still in training but the older lads were now fully-fledged Rangers showing off their cloak clasps and new swords.

       Rose and Frodo noticed Merry-lad's impatience and restlessness. He paced up and down, fiddled with his cuffs and muttered to himself.

       "Now what's up with Merry I wonder?"

       Frodo smiled. "He had a very soppy expression on his face when he came back to the inn last night."

       Rose chuckled. "You don't miss much, do you! I wonder if he's met a lass?"

       "Well, I remember that expression on his da's face at my forty-fifth birthday. I hope he doesn't take as long as Sam to declare himself - or need to go on a journey half-way across Middle-earth!"

       Sam leaned over. "Not him - he has his mum's determination and plain-speaking way. He won't act like a ninnyhammer!"

       "I wonder who's caught his attention?"

       "I daresay we'll find out soon enough. I don't know as I can keep up with all this." Sam shook his head. "When they were little I knew what to do and now they're leaving me behind."

       Frodo patted Sam's shoulder. "Don't worry, they will never leave you, even if they live on the other side of the Shire. Here comes Ellie now."

       "Hello Sam-dad. Hello Mum. Hello Uncle Fro." Elanor threw herself at her beloved parents and uncle. Seven-year-old Elfstan bounded over and jumped on his Gaffer's lap and little Bella, now a faunt, squealed with joy as she spied her adored Gammer and Gaffer and 'Nuncy Fo.' Her brother Drogo, two years older, regarded her with amusement and allowed her to take her turn before adding his own greetings in his own quiet way.

       Elanor was as lovely as ever, if not more so. Marriage and motherhood gave her an added radiance. She was carrying her fourth child but wore her bump lightly and moved with her usual grace. She wore a dress of rich amber silk and her beautiful pendant. Fastred followed, still unable to take his eyes from his wife after ten years of marriage.

       Tolman, the youngest Gamgee child, hastened back for more pie and some banter with his Uncle Merry. He was nineteen years old and growing rapidly. It was clear he was going to take after Uncle Jolly and be one of the tallest in the family.

       "Stars above! What are they feeding you, lad?" Master Merry greeted him delightedly.

      "Pardon?" Tolman cupped a hand to his ear.

       "I said what are they feeding you? You've grown so tall since I last saw you. You'll be catching me at this rate. Are you sure you've had no ent draught?"

       "I still can't hear you, Uncle Merry."

       "Are you going deaf, lad?"

       The cheeky young hobbit's lips twitched. "I think I must be - all on account of that waistcoat of yours." He clamped his hands over his ears. "It's very loud!" He ducked the inevitable swat.

       "You saucy young scamp! There is nothing wrong with my waistcoat. I bought the material from a merchant in Gondor."

       "Colour-blind, was he? Really, Uncle Merry, it's a bit ............."

       "A bit what?"

       "A bit like a storm in a paint store," said Frodo, appearing at Merry's side. He looked his cousin over. "Red and pink? Ouch!" He winced.

       "I happen to like it," replied the Master with as much dignity as he could muster. "We Brandybucks can carry off these bright colours. We have style - unlike stick-in-the-mud Bagginses with everything tasteful and co-ordinated."

       "Yes, Merry, we believe you. I have never accused you of being tasteful and co-ordinated."

       "You impertinent Baggins! Have you no respect for Meriadoc the Magnificent?"

       Frodo laughed and threw his arm round his cousin. "None whatsoever!"

                                                                         ************

       Merry Gamgee peered into the crowd and sighed. Still no sign. He was beginning to wonder if the person he was hoping to see was ever going to arrive. He tugged at his collar and brushed bits of invisible fluff from his cuffs. The musicians began to play and some couples drifted towards the lawn to begin the dancing. Suddenly there was a buzz of excited comment which rippled from the farm outwards. A stifled whimper of two from the lads followed and the crowd parted as if by magic.

       Sashaying across the grass as though she had all the time in the world, her hips swaying hypnotically, was Persimmon Took.. If she had been beautiful the previous day when clad in her brother's shirt and breeches then she was now a vision beyond description. She wore a dress of emerald green silk, low cut to reveal her creamy shoulders. A great froth of white petticoats was visible at the hem and a fine mist of lace trimmed the three-quarter length sleeves. Her rich auburn hair was dressed with dark green ribbons and she carried a little emerald silk bag and a white swan's feather fan. Around her neck she wore a breathtaking square-cut emerald on a silver chain. This Frodo recognised. It had once belonged to Primula Baggins and Frodo had gifted it to Esmeralda Brandybuck more than thirty years before. She left it to Pervinca Took in her Will and Vinca had loaned it to her daughter for the occasion.

       The crowd and particularly many envious lads gawped as the lass strolled up to Merry Gamgee.

       "Master Gamgee! What a surprise to see you here. I hope you are well?" She offered her hand and smiled at him, her smoked jade gaze warm beneath auburn lashes..

       Merry bowed low over her fingers and kissed them. "Miss Took. It is a pleasure to see you. May I have the honour of this dance?"

       She curtseyed. "You may." She rested her hand on his as he offered her his arm, and they walked into the group of dancers.

       "Well!" Rose was shaking her head and laughing. "Looks like there may be more than one match between the Tooks and the Gamgees."

       Frodo patted a startled-looking Sam. "Don't you dare say it isn't proper, Sam. You know what Pip says about needing some good Gamgee stock in the family. Everyone will be delighted if that match happens."

       "I hadn't realised little Miss Persimmon was quite so grown-up. She looks as though she knows her own mind though."

       "I'm sure she does. And young Merry is an honest, down-to-earth, plain-speaking hobbit, just like his da. He's probably a refreshing change from some of the lads she meets. Anyway, she won't be the first Took to fall in love with one of your children." Frodo nodded over to where Goldilocks and Fari were talking. "One day one of your grandsons will be the Thain, my dearest Sam."

       Sam was so shocked by that information that the Thain had to supply him with a tankard of the Bouncing Bunny's finest. Frodo decided not to add that he was sure another grandson would be the Master of Buckland. One step at a time, he thought. One step at a time.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List