Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Growing Up Tales  by Baggins Babe

1451 SR

Sam waited impatiently in the parlour. His collar was too stiff and his waistcoat too tight and he wished he could change into comfortable old clothes and spend the day in the garden. He had approached the day with a combination of joy and dread - losing his first-born would not be easy, even though Rose told him he was gaining another son, not losing his beloved daughter. Elanor was not yet of age but she had set her heart on Fastred years before. She was a stubborn one, and her parents gave their consent without too many objections.

       In the Party Field the greatest gathering ever seen in the Shire, -Elves, Dwarves, Men and Hobbits - conversed quietly. The High King and his family were at Anuminas for a time and were therefore conveniently placed to attend. Thus two Kings and Queens, two Stewards, all with their families, at least half a dozen Rangers, Elladan and Elrohir, Lord Glorfindel, Lord Celeborn - fulfilling a wish he had made many years before - King Thranduil, Legolas and Gimli were all dressed in their finery and joyfully awaiting the arrival of the bride. The King himself was to conduct the marriage as Sam would be too distracted and emotional on such a day. The Thain wandered around beaming at everyone, and the Master of Buckland was chatting happily with Eomer. He was wearing a less dazzling waistcoat than usual because his wife had given him a look of wifely disapproval at his first choice and sent him back to 'find something which won't draw attention away from the bride!'

       Elanor's sisters and close friends, like so many bright and beautiful flowers, were gathered outside Bag End's gate, waiting to accompany her and strew flower petals in her path. Rosie-lass was in pink, Goldie in green, Daisy in a soft blue, Ruby wore red and Primrose yellow, with Violet Sandyman wearing the colour of her nameflower, Columbine in a lovely sea-green, Tansy Bunce clad in a bright gold, Teasel in apricot, Lass and Dilly Took in pale lilac and cream respectively, and Simmie Brandybuck in a colour the Queen called turquoise. .

       Rose appeared in the parlour doorway, dressed in lavender silk, her eyes bright with happy tears. "She looks so beautiful, Sam. Our little lass about to wed! It don't seem five minutes since she was born and now she's all grown-up and about to set out on her own." Rose dabbed her eyes and laughed suddenly. "Who'd have thought our lass's wedding would be so big and important!"

       Sam smiled. "More royalty than anyone's ever seen before, and a huge gathering of Elves. What would the Gaffer think? There's three kings down there and one of 'em's an Elf too!"

       Rose giggled. "It's a good thing we didn't ban Big Folk altogether, isn't it? I'm off down to join the gathering. Just give her a few moments to gather her thoughts and then she'll come out."

       "Frodo wants to have a word with her too - wants to give her something special, he says."

       Rose kissed him and departed, accompanied by her eldest son, and Sam fidgeted nervously with his cravat. The thought that his little Elanorelle was about to wed was one he had tried not to contemplate but the day had finally dawned and he was determined that it would be the happiest day of her life.

       The bedroom door opened slowly and Ellie emerged. "Sam-dad?" she said tremulously.

       Sam turned. His mouth fell open and he could do nothing but stare. How had he fathered such a beauty? She had always been lovely but when had she grown up and blossomed into ..........into this?! She was wearing a dress so magnificent that its like had never been seen in the Shire. Embroidered by the Queen and made by Ivy Noakes, the bodice was of gold silk decorated with a blossoming White Tree in mithril, crystal and seed pearls. The sleeves and skirt were of embossed magnolia silk, the sleeves edged in finest lace, the skirt sprinkled with elanor flowers in gold thread and sparkling yellow beads. Her hair, dressed simply with white and yellow ribbons, was crowned with a wreath of elanor and she carried a bouquet of elanor, white and gold roses, baby's breath and myrtle.

       "Oh Elanorelle!" he breathed.

       "Do I look alright, Daddy?"

       "Alright?!" he spluttered. "You look like a queen, my lass. However did I manage to have such a beautiful daughter?" Afraid to crush the dress, Sam contented himself with taking her hands and kissing them. "I am so proud of you, lass."

       "Oh Daddy, I will miss you and Mummy and Uncle Fro and everyone."

       "Even young Tolman and Robin?" Sam asked, his eyes twinkling.

       "Even Ruby!"

       "Your Uncle Fro wants a word. He's in the study."

       Ellie placed her bouquet on the hall table and knocked on the study door. She peeped round when she heard him call.

       Frodo's expression was very much like her father's. He stood there looking truly amazed, moved beyond words by the sight of the sweetly beautiful hobbit lass.

       "My Elanorelle. I am so thankful that I did not leave the Shire. I would not have missed this day for the world!"

       She sniffed. "I'm glad you didn't go. I can't imagine life without you."

       "I have something for you." He held out a long box. "I hope you like it. You don't have to wear it today though, but I wanted you to have it."

       Tentatively, Elanor opened the box and gasped. Inside was a yellow jewel the size of a pigeon's egg, on a fine gold chain. "Ooohhh! It's ............it's.....so lovely!"

       "It belonged to my mother. I put this aside twenty years ago, to give to you on your wedding day or for your coming-of-age, whichever came first."

       "To Aunt Primula? Oh please, Uncle Fro, I want to wear it. It was hers and it matches my dress so perfectly." She turned her vivid aquamarine eyes on her doting uncle and he laughed and lifted the chain and fastened it about her neck.

       "This jewel has quite a history - even I did not know it until yesterday. It was given to my mother by Bilbo, as a birthday gift, on the day I was born."

       "That make it even more special," she murmured, her fingers straying to the jewel which lay upon the curve of her breasts, catching the sunbeams and sending them in spinning shards around the walls.

       "More special than you know, lass. It was found in a dragon's horde........"

       "Smaug?! Bilbo found it in Smaug's lair?"

       "Well, it was found there after Smaug was dead and was given to Bilbo by the Dwarves. When he decided to give it to my mother he asked Gloin if it could be put on a chain. I asked Gimli to polish it for me three weeks ago and he returned it to me yesterday, while you were down at Ivy's. Lord Glorfindel was nearby and he recognised it, and he told me its remarkable history - it was once worn by a princess."

       "A princess?!"

       "Bilbo told me it was a topaz but Glorfindel says it is a yellow diamond, very rare. He said it was shaped in Valinor and taken to Numenor as a gift for the king at that time. He in his turn gave it to his daughter. Her name was Silmariën, and I'm sure you know who she was."

       "All those history lessons taught me something! She was the daughter of Tar-Elendil, fourth King of Numenor, and from her were descended the Faithful including Elendil and Isildur and everyone down to Uncle Estel." Her hands flew to her face. "Oh! He doesn't want it back, does he?"

       Frodo laughed. "No my dearling, he doesn't want it back. I asked him the same question. He said it had never looked more lovely than it would on you." Her relief was obvious. "Glorfindel told me that the diamond has a name. It was known as the Tear of Anar."

       "The Tear of the Sun - what a lovely name. Thank you, dearest Uncle Fro. I shall treasure it always."

       He kissed her brow. "Now we must go, or your future husband will have paced a large hole in the Party Field." She giggled and tucked her arm through his.

       Sam was waiting in the hall. He blinked at the sight of the diamond, and Ellie, bubbling with excitement, began telling him of its history as they stepped out into the sunshine. Anar would shed no tears this day, unless they were tears of joy.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List