Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Yule 2006 Challenge - Gwynnyd's stories  by Gwynnyd

Missed Opportunities

Legolas patted the yellow skiff, pronounced her 'sleek and seaworthy', and offered to name her "Galadriel". Eying the bobbing craft warily, Gimli declined the offer and climbed to watch from the parapet of Dol Amroth. He saw the boats round a marker and scatter in different directions.

"I thought this was a race," he grumbled to Amrothos standing next to him. "What are they doing now?"

"Beating to the next mark," Amrothos said. "Each skipper must choose his own way to sail into the wind."

Gimli grunted, keeping his eye on the yellow hull. After a while, it moved on a tangent farther away from the other boats.

"That's… odd," Amrothos said. "Legolas should have tacked by now. He's losing his advantage."

Clutching the wall, Gimli saw Legolas's boat veer farther, and heel over as the wind caught her on the beam. For a few seconds, the bow pointed out to sea, then the wake fishtailed as if the hand on the tiller shook. The boat suddenly swung around, the sail snapping to the other side, and headed back towards the fleet.

Gimli let out a pent up breath. Someday, my friend, but do not sail West without saying goodbye.


(200 words)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List