Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Yule 2006 Challenge - Gwynnyd's stories  by Gwynnyd

Love at First Sight

In the dim, shuttered room, Miriel lay grey and exhausted, with a squirming and still damp baby mewling fitfully face down on her stomach. Finwë, alternately stroking the baby's back and his wife's hand, felt his son attempt to raise his head.

"Such a strong, fine son you've borne me, my love."

Miriel half opened her eyes. "I am so tired. Take him away for a few minutes."

A midwife scooped up the baby, rubbed him gently with a warmed towel, and handed him to Finwë. "Time to get acquainted with your father."

The baby ignored the endearments Finwë crooned to his son, scowling at his father, almost as if he knew how foolish they sounded. He brought his fist to his mouth and looked startled as he sucked hard on his fingers. Finwë, smiling at this evidence of hunger and turning to bring the boy back to his mother, found his way blocked by the midwife.

"Miriel needs food more than he does. Keep him for a few minutes more."

Finwë saw them coaxing Miriel to take a few sips of broth, but she turned her head away and closed her eyes. As the boy's hand slipped out of his mouth and he began to wail, Miriel made a warding gesture. Finwë' gave his son a squeeze meant to be reassuring and turned his body away from his wife. He bounced the baby gently, but the boy cried louder.

"Shhh, shhh. I will show you the world."

Finwë pushed open the door and took his son outside. It was the time of the Mingling of the Lights and the sky glowed both golden and silver. The baby drew in a deep breath and went silent. He stared up at the radiance and opened his mouth in a gummy grin.

(300 words)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List