Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 9 - 'Twould Seem Folly

“This is folly. You cannot do this. Do you not know that there is still danger? Éomund,” she almost shrieked in her hysteria, “please tell her this is folly!”

Éomund looked disconcerted. “I agree with you, Listöwel, this seems folly. Yet, the boy is fading; Siriondil has done all in his power to heal him, and still the child fades. It is time for drastic actions. What Indis plans is dangerous, but I will be with her.”

She stared at him and in her fury cut him deeply. “You were with Boromir and he is dead!” Tears streamed down her face. She would do anything not to hurt this man, but she needed him to talk sense into Indis and if she had to hurt him, then she must.

He bowed his head. Taking in a deep breath, he raised his eyes to her, tear and pain filled.  “You do well to remind me, though I doubt that I will ever forget the truth you speak. Would you have Faramir dead also?”

“He will be dead if she continues this course. These are only rumours; there is no fact behind them. There is no healer in the north! Faramir will not be able to survive the trip, never the mind its total futility.”

Indis sighed and continued packing. “I wish you both would not speak of me as if I were not here.”

Listöwel stomped across the room and stood next to her friend, stopping her from stuffing another garment into the little bag. “You are not here; at least you are not here in your right mind. This is the most foolish thing you have ever done, and you have done quite a few foolish things in the time we have known each other!”

Smiling, Indis pulled her friend to her and hugged her tightly. “And you have always accompanied me. Is that what you wish, my dearest sister-friend, to accompany me on this journey?”

Listöwel’s breath hitched. “You would even consider traveling without me?”

Indis sighed again. “I would not ask you to accompany me. Our last… adventure did not end well. I do not think this one will either. Listöwel, I know you think this folly, but I must do something. Faramir will die. Even now, it may be too late. I must find help for him. Legends of old speak of a healer in the north and I have decided to find him. You cannot change my mind. I have spoken with Siriondil, and though he wishes me to have hope, I have found it is lost. Éomund has agreed to accompany me. I cannot ask you to.”

“You do not have to ask,” Listöwel’s chin trembled. “My bag is packed already. Packed it last night. And my sword is sharpened.”

Smiling, Indis hugged her friend. “Then would you please take mine to the smithy and have it honed?  Also, my dirk? I must meet with Prince Imrahil. I have not yet told him of my decision.”

~*~

Motioning them to two chairs that seemed to suddenly appear, the wizard sat. Aragorn smiled and pushed the two Elves towards the chairs, then stood quietly behind them.

“I wish to speak of Imladris and your father.” The honeyed tone of the voice unsettled Aragorn even further. “Have your patrols been encountering more Orc than usual? Have their been more goblins about? What is the strength of the Elves in the valley?”

His eyebrow arched up. Aragorn was stunned by the questions.

The wizard, as if he had heard Aragorn’s unspoken mistrust, turned towards him with a deep scowl, then turned back again to the brothers. “As head of the White Council, I deem it important for me to know these details. Would you,” and here his voice turned low, “keep them from me?”

They sat for five hours, listening to the wizard’s questions, trying to answer them with as little detail as possible, yet giving him their respect, for their father’s sake.

At last, he rose. “I thank you for attending me. I have much business before me, more than you can surmise, so I must say farewell, for the time being. I hope, when you pass this way again, that you will remember your duty to those higher than you. You have been most helpful this day.”

His smile chilled all three to the bone. Bowing as he left the chambers, they waited for but a moment; then rushed towards the opposite door. These opened as they approached and they found the Dunlending waiting for them on the other side. He turned and they followed. Retracing their footsteps, they found themselves at their own chamber door. He motioned to them, and they realized he expected them to pack and leave this very instant.

Elladan stomped into the room, flinging clothes about him, while he ranted in Elvish about the ancestry of the wizard. Elrohir followed him in and quickly stuffed his pack, turning back to the door within moments. Aragorn did the same, patting Elladan on the back in sympathy, and then helping him gather his things from where they had landed. They walked through the door, heads held high and were immediately ushered to the entrance of the wizard’s fortress. Their horses stood before them, Aragorn’s saddled and ready, but the three mounts looked gaunter than they had when they had entered the halls of Angrenost.

“Let us be away from here as quickly as possible,” Aragorn said and touched his heel to his horse’s flank. His brothers followed.

~*~

The sky grew brighter as Anor peaked over the mountains; so blue was it that it made her wince in pain-filled delight. Nothing was more beautiful than sunrise over Gondor. She would miss it. She did not believe she would ever return to her City. The quest she was leading her friends on was dangerous, foolhardy, and probably doomed, but she had to do something for Faramir. She could not leave him lying in his bed, thrashing and screaming. The dreams, or whatever they were, were becoming worse and more frequent. Siriondil could do naught. Turning her back upon the only sight that ever healed her, she walked resolutely towards the Citadel

He stood and greeted her and her heart lifted in thanks. When he made as if to bow to her, she stopped him. “You are now Steward, if not in name, in purpose. Do not bow to me, my Prince.”

He smiled and motioned for her to sit in the Chair, but she shook her head and sat on the steps. Another smile graced his face; then he sat beside her. When she did not speak, he took her hand in his. “What deed can I do to bring a smile to your face, dearest Indis? You cannot remain in this state of mourning, no matter the cause. I remember your laughter, when I was a child. I miss it. Would you not grace this hall with a small smile at least?”

She leaned heavily against him. “The only smile I have is hidden in my heart, but it is because of you and your loyalty to your sister’s chosen people. You are a prince in more than name, dearest Imrahil. Gondor is forever in your debt.” She took a deep breath. “I cannot thank you enough for taking over the duties of state whilst I have cared for your nephew. I have more to ask, so much more that I am frightened to ask it.”

His smile faded and an eyebrow arched. “Never be frightened of me, dearest Indis. I am your servant and the servant of Gondor.”

“It is only because I know that, Imrahil, know that your heart is bequeathed to Gondor and her people that I can ask this of you.”

“Ask anything, my sweet Indis, and it will be done, if I am able.”

“I am taking Faramir north. I have heard of a healer in the hills near the Misty Mountains.” At his look of surprise, she put her hand over his mouth and continued. “Faramir is fading. Siriondil can do no more for him. He will die, Imrahil, and I cannot allow that. I must take some action to prevent his death. You understand, do you not my dearest Prince?”

He stood and walked towards the high windows that encircled the Great Hall. She had to stifle a gasp. He leaned against the window the same way Denethor would. Tears fell. As he turned to speak, he noted her tears and quickly strode towards her. Kneeling at her feet, he said, “You must do what you must do. If your heart leads you to this, then you have my blessing. I will stay in Minas Tirith until you return.” He took her hands. “You will return, will you not?”

“If it is in my power, I will return.”

“How many companies will you need?”

“I am… I do not wish to take a large contingent, Imrahil. There are still enemies about who would welcome the chance to kill Faramir… and me. We will leave in the night – as soon as it is possible – with none knowing but you, Siriondil, who has decided to accompany me, Éomund, Listöwel, and Théodred.” She saw the look of startled surprise in his eyes and continued. “Théodred will not leave Faramir’s side. His oath weighs heavy on the lad. Nothing I can say, nay, nothing even his father could say, would sway him from keeping his word to Boromir. Therefore, against my own better judgment, I will take him.”

“I cannot let you go with such a poor guard. I will not let you go with no warrior but Éomund. I cannot even believe he would agree to this!”

“He has no say in this.”

 “I have men who chafed at their forced retirement from Gondor’s service. Though I have placed them in areas of need, your need is greater. I will send Gildor, Gorlim, and Baranor with you. Though older in years, the blood of Númenor flows through them. They have strength enough, and wisdom, to protect you. If you do not accept them, I will bar the gate and you will not leave.”

His voice had risen, firm and strong, and she knew she could not gainsay him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List