Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On a Moonlit Night  by Elemmírë

~CHAPTER 7: BILBO~

Bag End, Hobbiton

Four days later ...

Bilbo Baggins squinted as he tried to make out the smudged ink of the letter arrived in the Quick Post from Buckland on that pleasantly warm and sunny Spring afternoon. It was as if someone had spilt water over the parchment before the ink had had a chance to dry and he had great difficulty making out some of the smeared words.

.... Primula and Drogo were found dead ....

Bilbo fumbled for the arm of his chair as he sat down heavily. He stared at the letter from the Quick Post in disbelief, watching from a distance as it slid through his numb fingers to the floor of his study. His most favorite and beloved of all relations dead??

What seemed like a hundred questions flew through his mind all at once. Dead? ..... How? ..... They simply cannot be! Ever since they were married, Drogo and Primula and now Frodo too, had traveled many times throughout the year from their home in Hobbiton to Buckland in order to visit Primula's large family. Why, just this time they had left to bear witness to their first grand-nephew and Frodo's only first cousin, once-removed. New baby Berilac Brandybuck (Merimac and Begonia's first), had been born at the beginning of the month. Bilbo himself was planning a trip to Buckland over the summer in order to see the babe firsthand and congratulate Old Rory on becoming a grandfather.

"If I didn't now Old Rory better I'd think this some sort of heinous joke thought up by the Sackville-Bagginses. ....How could such a thing have happened? .... And what about little Frodo, the dear sweet lad? .... Is Frodo all right still?

“... Of course he’s not all right, you ninnyhammer! His parents were just found dead!”

Bilbo found himself taking a deep breath as he rubbed his magic ring secure on its chain inside his vest pocket. He didn't know why, but he found the gesture to be very reassuring as of late when dealing with unpleasant news or circumstances.

The 89˝-year old hobbit (who still didn't look or feel a day over fifty), picked up his first-cousin's letter off the floor and continued to read on with a distraught heart.

.... They had gone on their traditional evening boat ride under the moonlight. I'm very sorry to say that I do not know what happened from there, only that their bodies were discovered in the Brandywine River by a pair of local fisher-hobbits early the next morning. All I can say is that it is all very strange and mysterious. The waters that night were quite calm, but yet their boat had been found overturned in the river. There were no unusual marks of any kind scoring it. In fact, the only mark to be found was on Primula.

Here another large watermark had smudged the ink and it was then that Bilbo realized that Rorimac must have been crying fresh tears when he wrote this. Bilbo felt his own tears spring forth and trickle down his cheeks, leaving their own stains on the fine parchment. He shook his head in his own disbelief at the rather shocking news the letter portrayed.

.... A large bloodied bruise was discovered upon her temple, but there has been much speculation as to how it got there, despite my orders that there shall NOT be idle gossip over such serious circumstances.

"I'm sure." Bilbo certainly hoped that the majority of that ‘speculation’ was being kept from young Frodo's sensitive ears. Eru certainly knew the child had enough to cope with without adding the gossip and hearsay of his hundred or so relations to the stressful mix.

.... I will be able to give you more details when you arrive at Brandy Hall and hopefully have found out some answers as well.

And please, Bilbo, please arrive post haste for little Frodo is sure to need the love and support of his favorite "uncle" now more than ever before. It has not even been a day and already the lad has required the services of the healer, for he became hysterical when he-- ... I find I cannot relive the experience through my writing, Cousin, weak as I am. I promise to try and give you the details if you wish when you arrive. Just ... just please hurry, for Frodo’s sake.

Here Bilbo noted Rory's letter to become a bit more disjointed, as if he were simply writing whatever came to mind at the moment, without truly thinking of putting things into some semblance of order. A critique that could easily be excused, given the tragic and unexpected circumstances.

You must travel across the Brandywine Bridge, Bilbo, as I have banned all river travel until further notice for obvious reasons.

Frodo was spending the night with Saradoc and Esmeralda while his parents went out. They have volunteered to continue looking after the child until a family meeting can be called after the burial in order to determine with whom the lad should live with. I feel this meeting should consist of only those in close relation to Frodo: myself, my sons, my siblings and their spouses; you, Dora, Dudo, and any others you see fit to extend the invitation to from the Bagginses. I hope you see fit to agree, Bilbo, but you have every right to suggest whom you will also.

I leave it to you, as head of the Baggins family, to notify all that you deem necessary of these most unfortunate, unexpected, and tragic of circumstances. You should be aware that the only other Baggins I have sent a letter to is Drogo's brother, Dudo. I fear to send his sister Dora a letter, for as sturdy and stern a hobbitess as she is (and I mean that in all respect, dear Cousin), Dora too is aging and I fear the shock may not do her well. I trust you to take care of notifying her of her brother's unfortunate passing in whatever manner you see fit.

I can only wish it were under a more pleasant state of affairs that you come to Buckland, dear Bilbo.

Your Loving Cousin,

Rorimac Brandybuck

Bilbo reread the letter once more, still having trouble absorbing the shock of it all. He read again, then another time as well. His mind raced with a hundred thoughts once more. He had to tell Dora in person, of course. He then needed to call an emergency family meeting here at Bag End to inform the rest of those of the dwindling family name. "And now it's dwindled even more." Bilbo shook his head sadly, his tears of grief continuing to flow unchecked. He debated whether or not even to tell the S-B's as they were quite jealous of Drogo and Primula's relationship of good terms with him. He'd need to rent a pony cart from Farmer Cotton for Dora would no doubt be traveling with him, as she often did for such things and there was no way with her worsening arthritis she could travel by a pony’s back anymore. Would they have to stop at an inn along the way, for it was normally a two-day journey to Buckland? He certainly hoped not. And what of Dudo, for his wife had taken of serious ill as of late?

"And food, I'll need food and drink for the journey. ... MASTER HAMFAST??" Bilbo yelled at the top of his lungs, running outside into his beautiful garden. His trusted gardener would be a great help and know just what to do without him even asking. Bilbo planned to leave the day after tomorrow at the latest. Frodo needed him.

~The End~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List