Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Cat of Bag End  by Elanor Silmariën

~The Mistake~

Perhaps it’s not so bad to lose a chess game, but when lost to your own hobbit, it’s a little sad. I’ve watched him play chess before, with the other hobbits who come around often, and I know he’s good, but not that good. The youngest hobbit lets him win most of the time, I can tell.

So when my hobbit beat me earlier today, I was certainly in shock. I was paying attention to the game, not the tasty looking birds outside. I didn’t even stop to make sure my fur and whiskers were tidy.

Of course it was my first game with an actual opponent, and I suppose that threw me off.

I had just moved the first pawn to play my own game when my hobbit entered the study. He looked at me for a moment, a question visible in his big blue eyes, then he sat across from me and moved a black pawn.

I put my ears back in concentration, and moved another piece. This time my hobbit laughed and said, “Well, Wanderer, let’s see if you can beat me.”

I meowed a challenge at him, and we began to play more competitively. We were almost done, nearly tied, when my hobbit’s friend entered the room.

“Frodo, I…” he looked at us a moment. “What ARE you doing?”

“Hold on a moment, Wanderer’s going to lose in a second.”

I hissed at him playfully and he smiled. But he was right. He had me cornered in a check mate I hadn’t anticipated in his next move.

“You’re playing chess with the cat?” the other hobbit said, as I drooped to the floor in defeat.

“I almost lost, until he made that last move,” My hobbit said. “Wasn’t very smart of him.”

I sprang to my paws and meowed in protest.

“I think he’s calling for a rematch,” my hobbit chuckled.

The other hobbit smiled at me. “Well, you can play again after dinner,” he said. “Come on, dear, Rose has it all ready.”

They left the room. Now I am sitting here, studying the chessboard, trying to figure out how I lost. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I made a mistake. But I won’t again. My hobbit will have to work harder next time to beat me.

~The End~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List