Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Cat of Bag End  by Elanor Silmariën

A/N: This started with an idea Queen Galadriel gave me in a review for "The Latter Days." It is from the point of view of Frodo's kitten, Wanderer.

*Check Mate*

The hobbits have left now. I watched them leave from my perch on my hobbit's desk. I glance from their grey cloaked figures to the intricately carved chess board left set up on the table, and back, but they seem not to notice.

My hobbit carefully closes the door behind them and I am left all alone in the hole. I glance back at the chess board absently licking my paw. Then I turn away and lightly tread out into the hall, knowing that my hobbit might not like it if I touch his game.

I head to the kitchen, looking for food. I believe the hobbit-lass who lives here left a half a pound cake on the counter, and ever since my hobbit snuck me part of his (against the hobbit-lass's better judgement) I have adored the delicacy.

I glance at myself in the full sized mirror in her room, the one she shares with the other hobbit living here. If I am not careful this cake will make me too fat to chase birds and rats.

I pause in the doorway to the kitchen, then feel my mischievous streak coming out. I turn and dash back to the study and the waiting chess board.

I eye the pieces, then ponder the fact that I don't have an opponent. Oh well, I can play myself I suppose.

I lick my paw and straighten my wiskers, then nudge a white pawn forward two spaces. Then I dash to the other side of the board and move a black pawn.

I have a little trouble moving the knights the right spaces and trying not to brake anything with my big paws and sharp claws, but I manage.

Shortly before I am about to finish, the hobbits return, and enter the study. They stop as I am still pondering my next move. I knudge a bishop into place. I am beginning to feel a little guilty that I have been caught playing my hobbit's game, until I hear his beautiful laugh.

"Sam, would you look at that," he says.

The other hobbit comes up and watches as I tip the white king over carefully.

"I told you he was a smart cat, Sam dear," my hobbit says, scratching my head. "He just got a check mate!"

The End





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List