Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Title: The Greatest Gift

Author: Misty

Rating: G

Summary: Gilraen and Estel celebrate Yule with the elves in Imladris. This was written for the ME express prompt #44: Gift. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Disclaimers: The characters are not mine, I have absolutely no claim to them.

A/N: This came to mind after watching my nephews, niece and assorted other little cousins open their Christmas presents. Utter chaos, but so much fun to watch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilraen watched the scene before her with amusement. Estel was holding court, surrounded by attentive elves as he showed off his Yule gifts. At four years old, he was bright, inquisitive, and the center of attention. Holding a new gift, he darted from elf to elf, climbing up in a lap to share his new treasure, only to climb back down a moment later to visit another. She was constantly amazed by the patience and love expressed by so many of the elves toward her son. He was currently surrounded by Elrond, Elladan, Elrohir, Glorfindel, and Erestor. Estel’s happy chatter easily reached her ears where she sat nearby, watching her son charm all those around him.

Elrond glanced up at her and smiled at the look of contentment on her face. Looking around and seeing that Estel was currently quite occupied with the twins, he stood and made his way over to take a seat near Gilraen. They watched the scene in silence for a time.

"He seems quite happy with his gifts," Elrond commented softly, watching Estel show a new wooden toy to Glorfindel, who nodded solemnly and admired the gift.

Gilraen smiled. "He does like his gifts, my lord, but it is the attention he enjoys most. Knowing that everyone would be here for the festivities tonight, it was quite difficult to get him to sleep last night. His excitement was enough to keep him awake long into the night."

Elrond smiled as he beheld Estel with Elladan and Elrohir. "It was the same with my sons when they were small. It never ceased to amaze me, the amount of energy they have in such small bodies."

Laughing in agreement, Gilraen followed Elrond’s gaze. Her expression sobered as she watched her son with his ‘brothers’. "He is thriving here," she said softly, as she turned to look at Elrond. "You gave him the greatest gift the day you took us into your house. He has found a family in you, your sons and the rest of your household. I am grateful every day for the love you show him. Thank you."

Elrond looked at her seriously. "There is no need to thank me," he replied. "I do not see how any could be around him and not come to love him." Glancing up as Estel’s laughter rang through the room, a smile crossed his face, and he turned his attention back to Gilraen. "He has given us all a greater gift than any we could give him. He has returned happiness and the sound of a child’s laughter to a house too long without such joys." Hearing his sons’ laughter mingling with Estel’s, Elrond’s smile softened. "There is no greater gift to me than hearing laughter ringing out once again in this house. For that, I have you and your son to thank."

Gilraen nodded, and a contended silence fell between them as they turned to watch Estel play happily with the twins.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List