Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Title: King of the Dead

Author: Misty

Rating: G

Summary: The King of the Dead confronts Aragorn. This was written for the ME express prompt #42: Peace. movie-verse.

Disclaimers: I don't own any of the characters or make any money from this.

/movie quote/

-----------------------------------------------------------

I stare at the man who has dared to enter my realm. Who does this impertinent whelp think he is? We will do to him as we have done to all who entered here. None leave here alive. He dares to ask for our allegiance, to fight for him. Only one can command our allegiance; one who no longer exists. There is no longer a king in Gondor, and he is the only one with the power to command us. I move forward, swinging my sword at his neck. He blocks my blade! How is this possible? The weapons of the living have no power against us. His claim must be true, then. This is the sword of Elendil, reforged after having been broken, and he must be the rightful heir of Isildur…the heir of the man who cursed us.

My anger nearly overwhelms me as I think of Isildur. That man brought this existence upon us. Neither living, nor truly dead, we have been doomed to linger here in this place for centuries, unable to move on. We cannot join those who went before us, those we loved in life. That is the worst part of this curse…the separation. This man claims that if we fight for him, he will hold our oaths fulfilled, that we will be released from this never-ending torment. Can we trust him to do so, or will he betray us? I know what he thinks of us, that we are murderers, traitors and oath-breakers. Many a man would not hesitate to leave us to this curse. Is this man any different? Will he truly release us?

I must give this some thought. I chase them out to give myself some time. If there is any chance that we can escape and find peace at last, we must take it. If he betrays us, he and all of his people will suffer for it. But we must take this chance. We will fight.

-----------------------------------

The battle is over, and I once again stand before this man, this heir of Isildur. We have fulfilled our part, now all that is left is to see whether he will fulfill his. The dwarf, irritating little creature that he is, tells the man not to release us. If he reneges on our deal, all will suffer my wrath. I watch him intently as he opens his mouth to speak.

/"I hold your oath fulfilled. Go. Be at peace."/

Peace? We are free? The centuries of pain, of anger and torment fade from my mind. A sense of lightness sweeps through me and I feel the hold this world has on me disappear. A light appears before me, and beyond them, I see the halls of Mandos. It is true, we are free now and can finally find our peace, and see those we love once again. A smile crosses my face as my surroundings change. I am going home at last.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List