Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Title: The Monster Within

Rating: G

Summary: Frodo's thoughts as he comes to himself in Osgiliath. Movie-verse. This was written for the ME challenge prompt #36: Fear.

Disclaimers: I don't own any of them or make a penny from any of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Large, panicked eyes staring up at me. The voice of someone calling me, begging me to recognize him. I know that voice. The mist and darkness begin to fade from my eyes, showing me more clearly what is before me. The sight is horrifying; Sam on the ground, fear in his eyes as he stares up at me. Why is he scared of me? Then I see it, Sting… my sword, held at his throat. This cannot be. How could this have happened? I would never hurt Sam, not my Sam.

I back away slowly, my heart in my throat as I realize what I almost did. It's all I can do to keep from losing what little I have in my stomach as I move away, dropping my sword, unable to bear the feel of it in my hand. I cannot believe what nearly happened. How did I come to this? I do not know. The last thing I remember is being led into this ruined city by Faramir and his men. What happened next? Wait…a sound, fear, darkness. I know that darkness. I have felt it before. A wraith. That must be it, a wraith came, and then what?

What horror could have brought me to the point that I held a sword to Sam's throat? How could I ever have come so close to hurting the most loyal friend I have ever had?

The ring. It's changing me in ways I never thought could happen. Am I falling to it, like Boromir and all the others it's tempted over the years? I can't allow that to happen. I can't allow myself to succumb to its power, or all Middle-earth will suffer.

I shake my head in disbelief. Did the elves know something like this could happen? How could they ever trust the ring to me, knowing that I could fall to it and destroy all their plans? There was little chance from the beginning that I could escape all the foul creatures chasing after us, the wraiths, the orcs, the trolls and wargs. But those were the only dangers I saw when I though about taking on this quest. I never expected anything like this. I never expected to turn on my friends.

Sitting on the ground, shaking from my attack on Sam, I realize something. It is not the monsters chasing us that I fear most, it is the monster I may become.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List