Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Title: A Single Step

Summary: Aragorn sets out on a long journey. This was written for the Middle-earth Express challenge prompt # 27: Journey.

Disclaimers: I don’t own any of Tolkien's characters, and I make no money from this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - Confucius

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aragorn stopped on the path leading out of the valley and turned to look wistfully back at Imladris. One more step would take him around a curve in the path and hide the buildings from view. He had never imagined how scary and painful the thought of a single step could be. Gazing back, he could still see Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir standing in the courtyard, watching him walk away. Though he was too far away to see their faces, he drank in the sight of them as long as he could. Once he left, he did not know when he would see them again. Or, for that matter, if he would see them again.

Shaking his head at that thought, he tried to focus on what lay ahead of him, not what he was leaving behind. This journey was one he knew he must make, and one that excited and terrified him all at the same time. He was leaving behind everything he had ever known and heading off alone to lands he had only heard tales of.

When he was twenty and had only recently discovered his identity, he had embarked on an equally exciting journey, to live with the Dúnedain and take his place as their Chieftain. At the time, he had been filled with youthful enthusiasm and excitement and had not truly considered what he would be facing. He had learned, though, and had settled in with his people in time. At the beginning of that journey, he had never truly considered that he might not see his family again. It was a possibility, of course, whenever they ventured out on patrol, that one of them might not return. Aragorn knew that though he protested the fact, the other Rangers did their best to protect him during the battles they faced. The son of Arathorn was the last of the line of kings, and none wished any harm to come to him.

Today, he was beginning a journey on his own, one that would set his feet on the path toward his destiny, becoming the king of Gondor and Arnor. He had discussed this with Gandalf, Elrond, and his advisors among the Dúnedain, and they all agreed, however reluctantly, that this was something he needed to do. His advisors had urged that he take a companion, someone to watch his back if necessary. After a great deal of thought, he had decided that this was a journey he must make alone. Though he knew it was the right decision, it was still a very intimidating prospect.

Not knowing how long he would be gone, or if he would ever return to his home, to the people he loved, made his next step the hardest he had ever taken. He turned away from Rivendell, feeling as if in that action, he was not turning away from his home, but turning toward his future. His nerves settled and his excitement grew as he took a single step forward.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List