Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Summary: An entry in Faramir's journal where he muses on the changes in his life after the events in the War of the Ring. This was written for prompt #26: Duty.

Disclaimers: I don't own Faramir, more's the pity. I have no claim to any of Tolkien's property.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duty. It has ever been my life. From my earliest childhood, I was taught my duties: duty to my city, to my people, and to my father. I cannot remember a time when my life did not consist of my many duties. Boromir told me of times when we were younger, when our mother was alive and we were happy. At that time, we were allowed to be children, to play and laugh. My memories of that time are hazy, but Boromir assured me it was so, once, long ago. Our lives were full of love and light, and my brother even told me that he could remember seeing our father laugh. That is not a memory I have. My memories of my father are of a stern man, one who did not laugh; a man consumed with pain for the loss of his wife, and fear for the future of his people.

He taught me quite well that my only purpose in life was my duty to my people, to him. I had a duty to be a soldier, to lead my men in battle, to patrol the woods of Ithilien and keep it free from the influences of the enemy. My father scorned my desires, telling me that I must live for my people, not for myself. Though I would rather have been a scholar, I was trained instead as a warrior. Over the years, I was told repeatedly that I would never be the warrior that Boromir was. But Boromir enjoyed the fighting, the training, the battles even, in a way that I never could. When Boromir died and I became the heir to the Steward, I knew my life would never contain anything but duty. It was almost a relief when my father ordered me to re-take Osgiliath, a duty that we both thought would claim my life. My only regret was all the good men that would die with me.

But it was not to be. So many of them died, and yet I lived. It was…unexpected. When I awoke and found myself facing the king, I knew I had a different duty. It would be my duty to hand over Minas Tirith to her true ruler. After meeting Aragorn, it was a duty that I was proud to fulfill. But he surprised me, asking that I stay on as Steward, and his advisor. Though I did not expect it, he offered me his friendship, a gift greater than any other he has bestowed upon me.

And Eowyn…I never thought to love someone such as she: beautiful, brave and proud. She is both a warrior and a lady. The thought that she returns my love is enough to nearly stop my heart in my chest.

My life has changed much in the last year. My life is now more than duty. I have friendship and love, more so than I deserve. Though I wish Boromir were here to share it, life is good indeed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List