Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Summary: Arwen celebrates a spring day in Minas Tirith.

Disclaimers: I don't own Arwen, Minas Tirith, or anything else of Tolkien's.

A/N: This was written for the Middle Earth Express 500 word challenge for prompt # 6, Outdoors. I just happened to read the challenge prompt after coming back from a day in DC for the Cherry Blossom Festival and wandering among the crowds and the beautiful trees and flowers planted around the tidal basin. So, this was the first idea to hit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen took a deep breath of the fresh spring air and a gentle smile crossed her face. Perched on the low wall around her garden, she was able to look out over the city. The air was redolent with the rich perfumes of flowers, fresh grass, and the rich scent of the fertile soil. As she gazed down into the various levels of the city below her, she watched the bustle of the crowd. Today was the first day of the Blossom Festival, and the city of Minas Tirith was filled with vibrant splashes of color from the trees and flower beds lining the streets and the flowers filling the window boxes of the homes.

The city that had once been bare of living things had come to life at last. Legolas and the other elves who had visited over the years since the War of the Ring had brought many seeds, fresh plantings, and young trees to be planted around the city. The fruits of those efforts could now be seen in the vibrant colors visible on every level of the city. From her seat, Arwen could see the bright yellow daffodils, colorful red tulips, and deep violet irises. The trees were at their peak blossom stage now, and the subdued white blossoms of some cherry trees contrasted sharply with the bold pinks of other cherry trees. Various shades of yellow, orange red, pink, purple, and creamy white could be seen everywhere. This had always been Arwen's favorite time of the year, when the world woke up from its winter slumber and showed such unbelievable beauty.

Arwen's gaze turned from the beauty of the flowers and trees as she watched the people in the streets. It seemed every inhabitant of the city was out in the streets, enjoying the blossoms, the blue sky and wonderfully warm weather. Though the streets were packed with so many people that movement was difficult, there were smiles on the faces of all. This last winter had hung on fiercely, and now, as it released its grasp on the city, the people were out celebrating the new season with their neighbors. Vendors lined the streets, selling everything imaginable. Children ran and played and laughed out loud while mothers watched with amused expressions.

Arwen watched the children play with a joyful grin on her face. The city was growing once more. Finally, after so many years in shadow, the people of Minas Tirith had hope in a better future. There was no longer the overshadowing presence of evil hanging in the air. The people were free and happy and having children, sure in the knowledge that their children would have a better life than had been possible before. 'Yes,' Arwen thought. 'After a long winter, the city and its people are coming to life. And so am I,' she thought as she heard her son approaching at a run. She swept him up in her arms and turned to join her husband in the gardens.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List