Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Fate and Destiny  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter 8, Pomp and Circumstance

At about half-past ten, after everyone had gone to bed, Merry crept out of his bedroom and tiptoed down the hallway toward a certain other bedroom door. Ever since this morning when his uncle Paladin was elected acting Took and Thain, Pippin had seemed down in the dumps. Nothing cheered up his cousin; not even the ridiculous sort of jests that young teen-aged lads enjoy the most. They (he, Frodo, Freddie, and Pippin) played draughts all afternoon, and even though Pippin won his fair share of games he never performed his ‘victory trot’ round the parlour, saying he wasn’t in the mood for it. Usually, Pippin was all too eager to rub his victories in the nose of his opponent--in a playful way, of course.

The other lads also made attempts to cheer up the young Took but nothing prevailed. Just before supper, Mistress Bunce and Degger’s sister, Heather, arrived by carriage. Degger was elated, needless to say. Degger doesn’t get to see his sister on a regular basis so the cousins didn’t begrudge the lad abandoning them to entertain her. Freddy and Estella were obligated to spend one evening meal with their uncle Ferdinand and aunt Sage before their holiday was finished, yet, that duty left Frodo and Merry to try to disperse Pippin’s melancholy the rest of the evening on their own.

Walking as light-footed as he could, Merry made his way toward Pippin’s door. He knew that with everything that happened today, Pippin would not sleep easy. Without a sound, Merry turned the door handle and stepped inside his cousin’s bedroom.

“Pip?” he hissed toward the black void of the back bedroom. “Pippin?”

“I’m awake.”

“I thought as much,” said Merry, sitting gently atop the mattress. “We’ve been worried about you, Frodo and I. You ate only two helpings at supper.”

“I wasn’t hungry.”

“Pip...,” Merry sighed, “I know a lot has changed for you this past year...but...your dad will make a fine Thain. He’s very organised, well liked, and knows how to deal with hobbits.”

“How do you know how well my father will do?”

Using his forefinger, Merry gently prodded his cousin’s shoulder to make his point. “Perhaps it might have to do with my own dad being heir to Brandy Hall and Buckland. I have complete confidence in my dad’s ability to manage his offices. Do you have that same confidence in your own dad?”

“Of course I do!” Pippin whispered in reply.

“Then why the long face?”

Pippin answered softly, “I’m just worried about him. There’s so much going on at one time lately. He looks so stressed carrying such a heavy load.”

“It appears heavy to you, and I am certain that the burden he’s carrying weighs heavily on his mind. But he’s a grown-up, Pip, and is able to deal with it better than you or I,” said Merry, then gently ruffled Pippin’s curls in the darkness. “I’m not going to tell you to not worry so much about your dad because I know it’s useless. I worry about mine sometimes. But they’re both strong hobbits, and Uncle Paladin knows what he’s doing. Furthermore, if there is anything that he lacks or could use a bit of help on, you know that Frodo and I can be counted on to help--and more than willing to do so. In fact, I’ll put the question to him tomorrow after breakfast. Uncle Paladin won’t be in this alone because we won’t let him be alone.”

This seemed to cheer Pippin a wee bit, for a slight smile played at the edges of his lips. “Thank you, Merry.”

* * *

“Just look at this, Addie!” Paladin held in his hand yet more documents bearing the names of newborns, newlyweds, and deceased. He had discovered this new pile inside a small wooden box underneath the desk. “When was he finally going to get around to this filing these--the fourth age?”

The following morning, Paladin, along with his cousin’s help, was going through some of the things stuffed inside Ferumbras’ desk. At one point, Addie held up a crumpled, rolled up parchment. Even the red ribbon used to secure it was still tied. “What’s this? I’m half afraid to open it!”

“Probably the directive to a resolution given twenty years ago between Tooks who couldn’t resolve the issue on their own,” said Paladin. “It looks quite battered, so I’d say whatever the trouble, it resolved itself over the years without the help of the Took. Open it up and see.”

Addie carefully unbound the parchment and unrolled it. He perused it for a long minute before looking with apprehension to his friend. “I think you might want to see this.”

“Oh?” Paladin took the parchment, looking it over. He recognised the parchment as the final draft of his request to become Degger’s legal guardian. Paladin’s face became beet red. “I gave him this back in Solmath--a whole month before we arrived at Great Smials! He was supposed to give it to Lalia--she was the Took at that time. Instead, he just shoved it into his desk as if it was scrap paper!”

Looking over Paladin’s shoulder, Addie remarked, “All the proper signatures are there--all Ferumbras had to do was ratify it with his seal.”

Paladin went on, venting his fury. “I asked Ferumbras about the document in Thrimidge! He told me that it was still in his mother’s desk and that he’d find it as soon as possible. I heard nothing further, so in Wedmath I asked about it again. That time his response was that it was lost among other documents in his mother’s desk.”

“Taking a good look at the sight of his desk, we can readily see who’s desk it was truly ‘lost’ in,” said Adelard.

Paladin sat back in his chair dumbfounded. “I don’t believe he lost it -- Ferumbras out-and-out lied to me. Perhaps I shouldn’t be so surprised--he was against my request from the start.”

Paladin next got a wild look in his green eyes. He opened the top left desk drawer to bring out the Took’s seal and a bit of wax tinted with red dye. He melted the wax over the parchment with flint and tinder and then used the seal to impress the mark of the Took. “There! That is my official first deed as acting head of the Took clan!”

Addie laughed, “If you intend to watch your son, daughter--and foster son’s graduation ceremony on time, then we need to make haste with this mess.”

Paladin rolled up the parchment, tying the red ribbon round it, then began to neatly stack the paperwork already strewn about on the floor and put it back inside the box they found. “Well, Tina and I are going to meet with them beforehand in our bedroom. We have some gifts to give them--you know, to reward them for their achievement.”

“Splendid idea,” said Addie, helping Paladin to fill the box.

When they approached the door to exit the office, both were startled when two hobbit youths suddenly appeared on the other side of the entrance.

“Merry! Frodo! What brings you lads here?” asked Paladin. “No trouble, I hope.”

“No, no trouble,” Merry responded casually. He stood straight and tall, showing his best grown-up posture. “May we have a word with you, Uncle Paladin, if you please?”

Paladin reached into his waistcoat pocket for his new watch. “I have but a few minutes to spare, lads. The ceremony will begin precisely at ten o’clock.”

“What we have to say will take less than those few minutes,” said Frodo.

“Very well,” Paladin said, stepping aside for the lads to enter. “Come inside, then.”

“Uncle Addie can stay if he wants,” said Merry. Adelard merely shrugged, then strode over to the couch with the others.

“What is on your minds?” Paladin asked once seated on one of the plush couches.

Frodo and Merry stole an apprehensive glance before the elder cousin took the lead. Neither had any idea how Paladin would accept such a proposal. “Merry and I have considered our offer in great length prior to discussing it with you.”

“And what offer do you young fellows have?”

Frodo forged on. “I hope you don’t mind, but Merry and I have an understanding that there is much placed on your shoulders of late with entertaining your guests, the graduation ceremony, and now the Thain bedridden and you stepping in to fill the gap while he is away,” said Frodo, then took in a calming breath. “A certain young teen is very concerned about you. So to help alleviate some of the strain, Merry and I would like to offer a hand, if you will, in whatever way we can.”

Paladin smiled sincerely. “Thank you lads, but I could never impose anything of the sort upon my guests--” he held up a palm when Frodo tried to object. “--and you are mine and Pippin’s guests.” He felt Addie surreptitiously kick his foot. “I’m afraid that I didn’t get to speak to my son like I wanted to yesterday to ease his heart. I shall correct that as soon as I have the chance. But no, I cannot accept your offer, although I thank you fine lads for your thoughtfulness.” He felt Addie nudge his foot again.

“Are you certain, Cousin?” Frodo made one last attempt, “We don’t mind helping out just this once if you would but allow us.”

“When I determine that I’m in over my head and I need help,” said Paladin, patting his young cousin’s shoulder, “you two will be the first to know.”

“Promise?”

Paladin smiled, “I promise. But there is one thing that you can do for me, Merry! Come with me--I must show you something. I want your opinion; Addie is being non-committal at the moment.”

“If you’re referring to a certain pocket watch,” said Addie, grinning, “then yes, I am very non-committal.” He stood to his feet to take his leave. “I’ll see you three at the ceremony, then?”

“Aye,” Paladin answered, then lead Frodo and Merry back to his own tunnel to show them the marvel he uncovered the other day.

“Before I call Pippin and the others in here,” he said, taking the three boxes out of the sack he brought them home in, “I want Merry to tell me if he recognises one of the gifts. I’d ask you, Frodo, but I don’t think you’ve ever seen Degger’s pocket watch, have you?”

Frodo chuckled, “I’ve only been formally introduced to the lad two days ago. No, I’ve never before seen his pocket watch. Are you gifting him with his own mathom, cousin?”

“Of course not,” Paladin answered a bit absently. He was busy finding the box that held the prize. “Well, yes, I suppose in a way. It was--well, you tell him about it Merry, but first, take a look!”

Merry puzzled for a mere second, then his face lit up. “That’s Taddy’s watch! Er, I mean, Degger’s watch. It has a lid now--did you do that, Uncle Paladin?”

“Well, not me, personally, but I took it to Mr. Tooter in Tuckborough. There is something peculiar about this watch, Merry.”

Merry nodded, “Oh, yes, it is very peculiar, that!”

Paladin laughed at Merry’s comment, then gave a brief account to Frodo of their strange trip to Michel Delving seven years ago. “But I brought you lads here to see something else along with Degger’s watch. Look at mine--this is the same heirloom I received from my father when I came of age. I plan to give it to Pippin today, but only as the heirloom that it is. He already has two pocket watches that he can’t keep track of.”

Both Merry and Frodo gazed from one watch to the other.

Merry finally spoke up. “Yours has an eagle in flight engraved into the lid--and Degger’s has a duck floating on a pond.”

“Open the lids, Merry,” Paladin prompted his nephew.

Merry gasped, instantly reaching for the watch that had the familiar duck painted on the face inside the new crystal. “May I?” he asked.

“We have just a few minutes,” Paladin reminded him.

“I can easily tell the difference,” said Frodo.

“What difference do you see, Frodo?” asked Paladin.

“Like Uncle Hildigrim’s, Degger’s watch is made of mithril,” he said casually.

Paladin was taken aback with his cousin’s words. “You’re right.”

Now Merry became surprised. “How can you tell?”

Frodo picked up Hildigrim’s watch. “Even high-quality silver tarns,” he said, holding the treasure aloft. “Mithril does not.”

“Mr. Tooter failed to mention that,” Paladin said, still amazed at Frodo’s guess.

Frodo smiled, albeit mischievously, “Bilbo gave me a mithril chain years ago for his 100th birthday. He told me then that it would never tarn, and it hasn’t; I’ve never had to polish it.” He pointed to the winding knob and the chain clasp on Hildigrim’s watch, “If this was made of the purest of silver, it still would have turned colour a bit in the crevices. Degger’s watch shines just as bright.” He looked at Paladin, “I wonder how his father came upon such a priceless keepsake?”

Paladin let out a breath of relief. “That’s the question of the hour.”

* * *

The three children stood with beaming smiles on the small dais set inside Paladin’s private parlour. Extra chairs had been brought in for additional well-wishers, but mostly for the graduates and their guests. Miss Hemlock stood at the lectern speaking warmly about her students and dabbing at the corner of her eyes with her handkerchief.

Pervinca stood between the lads, her golden necklace and citrine pendant accenting her honey-brown curls and yellow dress, and the yellow ribbons her sisters helped put in her hair. Not many lasses completed a higher education, in fact, it was pretty rare. Most lasses married and had little time for further book-learning. A lasses education was with a needle and thread, or in the kitchen. Even while she stood there, though she was happy, Pervinca wondered what she would do with her newly acquired higher education that many lads vied for.

Degger, too, smiled, hardly containing his emotions. He had made it this far! There were some scary times when he wanted to throw in the towel and give up. But Mr. Merry wouldn’t have one bit of it. He worked side by side with Degger, day and night for weeks on end to help him become equal with his study mates. Degger knew that his own father, and his brother, would be so happy for him. He smiled at Heather sitting beside Mrs. Clara Bunce, the lady who had taken in his sister. In his pocket Degger fingered his dad’s watch that Mr. Paladin got fixed. And it came with a new chain, too! Tears welled in Degger’s eyes. He thought he would burst with joy and gratefulness.

Pippin...well, Pippin was... Pippin. He was so happy to be finished with books and that dreadful assigned night work! How many times did he have to write a 500 word essay for disrupting the group during the day, or not completing his assignments because he felt he did not need them? He lost count of how many times he stood in the corner for making silly faces at Merry. This graduation was payment, surely, for all of his suffering! While Pippin stood there wearing a great big smile, he chanted inwardly: “No more leadsticks, no more books, no more Tutor’s...” And yes, there was the pocket watch. It had belonged to his great-grandfather Hildigrim. That truly meant a lot to him--and that his Papa trusted him with such a treasure. He wondered if this was part of the responsibility they discussed a few days ago. Pippin bounced on the balls of his feet; he felt like he was thirteen going on twenty-three!

All of a sudden, the children were startled out of their respective reveries.

“I will now give out the certificates in order from bottom to the top of the group. Please save your applause until the last child receives their diploma, for each child you see standing here has worked very hard.” She smiled at Degger, a playful gleam in her eye. He would not be expecting this at all.

“Mr. Deggory Greenhill!”

Degger blushed crimson from head to toe, then walked up to receive his diploma and Hemlock Academy patch.

“Miss Pervinca Took!”

Vinca quietly walked up to her tutor, receiving her diploma and patch then nervously curtsied to Miss Hemlock. Then curtsied to the audience. Paladin had to surreptitiously point his finger toward her study mates to guide her back to the others.

“Mr. Peregrin Took!”

Pippin fairly bounced over to Miss Hemlock and accepted his diploma with a gold ribbon attached to it, and his patch. He was so excited about it all that he, too, needed a parental finger to point him back to his mates.

Finally thunderous applause erupted from the audience. The sound reverberated on the walls and ceiling, making it louder than it really was. But it was over at last! All three children danced in their own circle before being set upon by a barrage of family and friends alike.

However, Paladin and Eglantine remained sitting in their seats holding one another, admiring their small brood being hugged and patted by loved ones. In his hand he held a slightly battered parchment rolled up with a red ribbon. He whispered into his wife’s ear, “Shall we tell him?”

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List