Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Fate and Destiny  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter 7, A Took’s Moot

An hour later, after conducting a most thorough exam on the Thain, Mistress Besom had brought Paladin and Eglantine alone into Ferumbras’ study to give them her report. Holding each other’s hand, the couple listened intently as the healer spoke.

“Unfortunately, you were correct in your guess,” she said to Paladin. “His father suffered the same attack twenty-four years ago, but I remember it all as if it happened yesterday. Thain Ferumbras cannot speak comprehensibly nor use any part of his body on the right side--just like his father.

“From what you’ve told me, it appears he tried to get out of bed, but because his right side is useless, the force he used to compensate and rise only served to make him drop to the floor as you discovered him. The sad part is that the damage is done; the Thain will need constant care from this moment on. I will stay close by for the next few days should his condition change. I will have my apprentice examine him as well, if you don’t mind. I want her to see first-hand the symptoms of this plague and how it takes its toll on the body. When my observation is over, I shall begin to teach his regular attendant how to care for him.”

“He will never be the same, then?” asked Paladin.

The healer shook her head. “I am afraid not.”

* * *

“How much longer will he be?” asked Brenard Took, impatiently slipping his golden pocket watch back into his waistcoat pocket. He was referring to Paladin, who had called this meeting out of the blue. “It’s getting on toward elevenses.”

Brenard is a descendant of Isengrim II, the youngest brother of Isumbras III. Brenard was called to the meeting along with his two sons Maynard and Greynard. This line of Tooks had never been known for bright wits.

“Trust me, Bren, Paladin requested our presence because it was important,” said Adelard. His son Reggie had told much of what went on in the Thain’s apartment, but Addie said nothing. The look of absolute fright on his eldest son’s face was still etched in his mind. He had complete confidence that the Thain’s Assistant could deal with all the questions thrown at him.

Fiodrin was also at the meeting, having recently removed from Michel Delving back to his father’s old apartment along with his wife, Millie, three sons and two daughters, all in their mid to late tweens. “I saw a lot of activity going on in the Thain’s quarters as I passed by,” he said.

For a while longer, fingers drummed on the arms of chairs and feet paced in front of the fireplace before Paladin finally appeared in the doorway. The grim expression on his face was not encouraging. Eyes were upon him, watching his every move as he sat in the chair at his desk.

Paladin gazed about at all the expectant faces. He began to feel one of his own headaches coming on. “Are there no others? Where’s Ferdinand?”

“He’s on the way,” Adelard put in. “He and Halibrand were playing skittles. He wanted to wash his hands first.”

“Where’s your lad, Reginard?” Brenard asked Addie. “He’s of age now, isn’t he?” While he spoke, the door softly opened an in walked a youthful looking hobbit with light brown hair and green eyes.

“I’m right here, Cousin Bren,” said Reggie, then took a seat on the couch beside his father.

“Sigmund and his family are on holiday in Pincup,” offered Addie in regard to the missing foremost Tooks. “Adalbert is also on holiday as well as Lambard and their respective families. We’re lucky to have this many, Paladin,” he said, “with Yuletide approaching.”

Just as Paladin opened his mouth to concur, Ferdinand and Halibrand momentarily disrupted things when they slipped inside the study, quietly sitting on the other couch in the back of the room.

“Very well,” said Paladin, and then proceeded with the meeting. “I think we’re all here. I regret to inform everyone that a little over an hour ago, Reggie and I found Thain Ferumbras II lying on the floor beside his bed. He has suffered a debilitating illness that renders one side of his body immobile. Currently, Cousin Ferumbras is getting settled and will be under the care of the Mistress Besom for a few days until we can find a suitable attendant for him.”

“Can he function at all?” asked Brenard.

“He can move his left arm and his left leg--that is all I am aware of at this point. Any further information will be forthcoming from Mistress Besom in the course of her examination.

“So what are you proposing?”

“I have been too preoccupied this past hour to formulate any sort of proposal, Brenard,” answered Paladin. “My initial thought was merely to gather together all who should know that the Took and Thain is in bad health.”

“I have a proposal,” announced Adelard. He almost grinned when Paladin shot him a look of dismay. “I propose that as heir to the titles, Cousin Paladin steps up and fills in until Ferumbras is once again hale.”

“But that could be a long time,” said Paladin, desperately trying to hide the fright in his voice. Now that the moment came, Paladin wondered if he was truly ready for such responsibility. What duties were there that Ferumbras had yet to train him on? Nonetheless, Addie was right; someone had to carry on while Ferumbras recuperated. At least, Paladin hoped that there would be improvement. For all of his disagreements with Ferumbras and angry moments, Paladin never wished this upon his cousin.

“I don’t believe we ought to act so rashly until we know further what has befallen the current Took and Thain,” said Greynard, puffing on his long-stemmed pipe.

“Rashly?” said Fiodrin. “Lad, I don’t think you know the seriousness of the situation. Have you heard what our cousin said? The Took and Thain is incapacitated, and I am quite sure it will be indefinitely. The seniors in this room pretty much know what we’re dealing with here--we’ve seen it before in our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and older cousins.

“Cousin Paladin is the only one in this room who has shadowed Ferumbras for almost a year, learning everything from the master himself, so to speak.” Bits of snickering permeated the room at the amusing reference to Buckland.

“He also is the only one in this room who is heir to the titles,” Addie reminded them all.

Everyone became silent at the last remark, all eyes gazing in Paladin’s direction. Paladin nervously cleared his throat. “I think I should...excuse myself to allow your discussion to proceed unhindered. I’ll be in my parlour with the children; someone needs to tell them what has transpired.”

* * *

Exiting his study to explain things to the children was not an empty excuse Paladin used in attempt to allow the debate go on. When he shut the door behind him, Paladin made straight for the parlour at the end of the hallway. Frodo stood near the window beside Eglantine while Paladin answered questions from the young group.

“Will...,” Pippin hesitated, not wanting to sound crass, “Will...will there still be...”

“Will there still be a graduation ceremony tomorrow?” Paladin spoke the difficult question aloud. “I think so,” he said, “although there might be a small cloud of gloom in the air. Our joy will be tempered by the health of our cousin lying ill in his bedchamber.”

“Aye,” Pippin replied sadly.

“Cousin Ferumbras won’t be getting better any time soon, will he, Father?” Pearl asked, sorrow in her voice. She looked away when he shook his head no. “Then essentially, without the actual titles, you will be the Took and Thain.” Her last remark was more a statement requiring affirmation than a question. Young Pearl was certainly not worried about titles; she and her siblings had been discussing the inevitable ever since they moved to Great Smials.

“That seemed to be where the conversation was heading when I left Addie and the others in the study. Pearl love,” Paladin reasoned, “somebody has to act on the Thain’s behalf in his absence.”

“I know, but,” Pearl paused to wipe a tear away, “we imagined this day would be a long way off.” She gave a tearful, half-hearted smile. “Excuse me,” she said, walking hurriedly out of the parlour.

Pimpernel’s expression was unreadable, as was Pervinca’s. The two younger lasses ran after their sister. Paladin looked with dismay at his wife. “What else was I to say?” he said despairingly.

“You did fine, dear--she’s just upset,” said Eglantine as she went after her daughters.

“Paladin!” Adelard hissed into the room. He hoped he had not interrupted his cousin’s talk. “We’re ready.”

“I’ll be there directly,” said Paladin. “Are you all right, Pippin?” he asked his son.

“I’m fine, Papa,” Pippin answered indifferently. He gave the best smile he could in order to throw off his father.

Paladin was unconvinced, yet he had to be present at the special meeting. “If you need to talk, Pippin, we can do so in a little while.” As he walked past Merry their eyes met. Watch over him. Merry gave an imperceptible nod.

“I suppose I ought to go bathe,” said Fredegar a bit awkwardly. He knew Pippin needed some time alone--or at least with those he was closest to.

“So should we,” said Reggie, giving Everard a nudge. The brothers also quietly left the room.

Only Frodo, Merry, Degger, and Pippin remained.

“You’re a terrible liar,” said Frodo, sitting down beside Pippin on the couch.

“So he is,” said Merry, sitting down on the other side of Pippin.

Frodo inhaled and then exhaled heavily. “Want to talk about it?”

Pippin sulked between his cousins. “What’s there to talk about?”

“You’re frightened, aren’t you?” said Merry.

Pippin stiffened at hearing the truth. “Not for me.”

“For your father, then?”

The thirteen year old nodded then quoted a passage directly from the parchment handed down from Thain to Thain that contained the Charge therein. “‘Guard the Shire; the Thain is her protector. You are Captain of the Hobbitry-in-arms. You are the leader, the hobbit her inhabitants will look to when harm comes her way.’” Of course, the children had gone over said document in their studies, however, young Peregrin Took has his ways of snooping round inside his father’s study.

Pippin blinked away the tears that threatened to overwhelm him. “When harm comes her way,” Pippin sniffled. “Goblins and Orcs still live in the wild lands beyond the borders. What if wolves cross the Brandywine again? They’ve all come across the borders before--what’s to stop them from doing it again?”

“Your dad knows what he’s up against, Pip,” said Frodo. “What if, while you and your family were visiting Hobbiton, Sancho Proudfoot started to dog one of your sisters?”

“He wouldn’t dare,” said Pippin. “I’d punch him in the face.”

“He’s almost twice your size,” Frodo lightly teased his cousin.

“I don’t care!” Pippin firmly stated.

Frodo became serious again. “Do you think your dad feels any less about his family--or the Shire?”

“No...but he’d be alone,” Pippin sulked again.

For reasons unknown to him, Degger suddenly felt as if he was intruding in on a private moment. He started to move toward the door.

“Where are you going?” asked Frodo. “All of this concerns you as well, Degger. Your guardian is now the incumbent Took and Thain.”

Caught unprepared, Degger stood still. “I know that.”

“How do you feel about all of this?” asked Merry.

Degger shrugged his shoulders. “I s’ppose I don’t like t’ see anyone suffer like the Thain is, but...” he trailed off.

“He probably feels indifferently about it,” Pippin spoke up.

Merry’s objective was to get Degger to express himself in his own words; something the lad had very little, or no experience in doing. In a way, Merry still saw himself as Degger’s tutor.

Unhindered, Pippin went on, “He likely feels bad that Cousin Ferumbras has suffered this attack, but delighted that he will no longer meet up with that old goat in the tunnels. Cousin Ferumbras would corner Degger near the kitchen when he’d walk to his room and then berate the Greenhills and servants in general until poor Degger was in tears. My father learned about it in Wedmath from Mistress May, so he had Degger move into our guestroom.”

Suddenly, a fire burned within his bones; Degger spoke from his heart. “I guess if Mr. Paladin has t’ be the Shire’s protector, then I’ll be his protector.”

Frodo and Merry tried hard to keep their laughter from escaping their lips. “You’re not even a tween yet,” said Merry. “A lad has to be at least thirty years old before he can be part of the Hobbitry-in-arms.”


With all seriousness, Degger knelt before Pippin, his hand resting upon his friend’s knee. “I promise, Mr. Pippin. He won’t be alone.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List