Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changing the Past  by Misty


Betas: Radbooks, Chris, Beth, and Raina


Disclaimers: I don't own any of Tolkien's characters, settings, or plots. I just like to play in his sandbox. I also make no money off of any of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13

Over the next few weeks, those in the house began referring to Aragorn as Ari, and Eradan had several discussions with the child to help him come to terms with his new knowledge of danger. It was not long before Lothrin also referred to her brother as Ari. As a result of their discussions, he began acting more like himself, and Eradan began to hope that the youth would not see each visitor as a potential enemy. He wanted Ari to be able to enjoy the remainder of his childhood, and he was encouraged as he saw the young boy once again playing with his sister and running through Imladris as usual.

It was the first week of June when the twins returned, saying they had met Mithrandir on the road and that he would soon follow with the rest of his company, a hobbit and several dwarves. The brothers had joined Elrond and Eradan in Elrond's office upon their arrival, enduring a brief appraisal by their father to be sure they were uninjured. Elladan stood at the window looking out over the valley, while Elrohir chose to sit near Eradan to avail himself of the tray of bread and drinks sitting on the table.

"Did you find the trolls?" Elrond asked his sons, looking back and forth between them as he leaned back against the edge of his desk.

"No, and we should be out there looking for them," Elladan said, waving a hand toward the rest of the valley. "We found tracks and could not have been far from them, but Mithrandir insisted we return home and inform you of his imminent arrival. Now that we have done so, we should head back out immediately." His impatience was clear in every line of his body as well as in his words.

"Tomorrow will be soon enough," Elrond responded, studying his son. "You can take tonight to eat and rest and then leave with the dawn if you like. But I would ask that you rest at least one night before returning to the hunt with Arathorn and his men."

Elladan turned to face his father, displeasure clearly writ across his face. "The longer we stay here, the longer those trolls go unopposed and the more chances there are that people will be hurt." His expression made it clear that he did not understand why Elrond did not wish them to leave immediately.

"It is unlikely that one night will make much of a difference," Elrond said calmly, staring at his son. "You have been on the hunt for several weeks, and you both appear fatigued. You will be more alert and better able to hunt if you leave here rested. As your father, I ask that you accede to my wishes in this matter. I only ask it out of concern for the both of you."

Barely holding in an impatient sigh, Elladan bowed his head to his father with poorly concealed annoyance. "Yes, Adar. It will be as you wish. We will remain here tonight and ride out with the dawn." With those words, Elladan strode from the room to seek the solitude of his quarters.

Elrohir glanced sideways at Eradan, noting that he had not spoken up to recommend they return immediately to the hunt, then looked back to his father. "I, for one, will appreciate the comforts of my own home and bed this night. Do not worry about Elladan's moods, Adar. He merely feels at times that we are the only ones able to stop all the evils of our world." Elrohir's tone was flippant as he tried to cover for his brother's impatience.

A wry grin twisted Elrond's lips almost against his will as he chuckled. "Do not fear, Elrohir. I am well acquainted with your brother's ways." Gathering up a book and several papers from his desk, he nodded to Elrohir and Eradan. "If you will excuse me, I have several tasks awaiting my attention. I will see you both at dinner this evening."

Elrohir waited until his father had also left the room before turning to face Eradan. "You have been rather quiet. Is there anything about this situation I should know?" The curiosity burned brightly in his eyes, but he was not sure if he would receive an answer to his question.

A faint smile quirked the corners of Eradan's lips. "I did not speak, for I felt that Elladan would not appreciate my advice. If all occurs as it did before, the trolls are no longer a threat, so there is no point in your returning to the hunt. I would advise that you seek out Mithrandir when you leave tomorrow and find out from him if the hunt is still necessary. You may be able to return home sooner than you thought."

Try as he might, Elrohir could pry no further details from Eradan, and had to give in and wait until he saw Mithrandir to find out what Eradan meant.

Elladan and Elrohir left before dawn the next morning, not giving any in the house the opportunity to see them off.

It was late evening two days hence when Elladan and Elrohir returned with Gandalf and the rest of his company, creating a ruckus as they entered. Mithrandir introduced each of the thirteen dwarves to the members of the household and the dwarves bowed respectfully, staring around in curiosity and no small amount of wariness at the splendor of Elrond's home. Bilbo was introduced last, and as he expressed his greetings, his stomach rumbled quite loudly, bringing a flush to his cheeks. As befit a gracious host, Elrond arranged for a feast for the nearly starving visitors. Once they were all seated around a table piled high with food, the travelers regaled them with tales of what had happened upon their journey. They were quite enthusiastic as they explained how Gandalf tricked the trolls into staying out until the sun had risen, thus turning them to stone. Elladan and Elrohir spoke then of meeting up with Mithrandir and the others as they were returning to the hunt. Upon finding out that the trolls were no longer a threat, they chose to escort the travelers back to Imladris.

During a lull in the conversation, Gandalf turned to Eradan. "So, where are the children tonight?"

"Ari and Lothrin are in bed by now," Eradan replied, making sure that Mithrandir had caught the new name for Aragorn. "We can introduce them in the morning."

Nodding, Mithrandir indicated that he understood. Turning to look back at the dwarves and Bilbo, he saw a large yawn overtake the hobbit. As the travelers finished their meal, they seemed to discover how tired they were. Elrond stood and arranged for his guests to be shown to their rooms for the night, leaving Gandalf, Eradan and Elrohir alone. The wizard stood and stretched, loosening his aching muscles. Elrohir followed suit, rising immediately after him, moving to join him as he turned to leave the dining room.

Eradan was the last to rise from the table, for he was still hampered by his leg. The injury had healed, but it would still be some time before he could use his leg as he had before. Mithrandir and Elrohir lingered, waiting for him to join them as they moved toward the hallway. Eradan no longer used his walking stick, but now walked with a heavy limp.

Watching the man approach, Gandalf nodded in approval and clapped the man on the back. "It seems you are healing well. I would have expected you to need the walking stick for some time yet."

A wry grin crossed Eradan's face. "And here I was thinking that I am healing too slowly. I have not been able to pick up a sword and resume practice since my injury. It is, however, giving me more time to practice my archery." He glanced down at the long sword hanging at the wizard's side. "Speaking of swords, may I compliment you on your new acquisition? Glamdring will serve you well in the years to come."

Mithrandir raised an eyebrow at Eradan's words, glancing aside at Elrohir. "And how did you come to know the name of this sword? I have not mentioned it, and even my companions do not know that I am able to read the runes upon the blade."

A chuckle escaped Eradan as he glanced around the room to be sure there were none nearby to overhear their words. "Elrohir knows, Gandalf. He overheard us speaking during your last visit. When it is only the three of us, you may speak freely. Though I believe we should all be more careful about what we say where others may hear."

Mithrandir gave Elrohir an appraising look, then glanced back and forth between Eradan and Elrohir, judging their level of comfort with each other. "Good. There could be no better friend for Eradan than you, Elrohir. I am glad he has you to confide in."

Studying the wizard, and remembering his behavior the day he had overheard the conversation, Elrohir came to a realization. "You already knew this, did you not? You knew that I had heard the two of you speaking." He became more convinced as he watched Mithrandir's face. "Did you know that I was listening at the time? Thinking back now, it certainly seems as if you were guiding the conversation so that Eradan would tell enough of his story to answer most questions I might have had."

Raising a hand, Mithrandir looked between the two younger beings. "Yes, Elrohir, I knew you were in the next room." At the small sound of protest from Eradan, Gandalf turned his attention back to the man. "Peace, Eradan. I knew you would not speak of your secret to another, but I felt you needed at least one other person upon whom you could rely. Elrohir, I knew, would honor your wishes for secrecy, and do all in his power to help you in any way he could. I admit that I took advantage of his nearness to bring him in on your secret, but it was for your own good."

Narrowing his eyes, Eradan glared at the wizard. "For my own good?" Glancing aside at Elrohir, he felt his anger ease. Truly, it had helped him greatly to have Elrohir know him for himself, allowing him to speak to him of things he could share with no other. "Thank you," he said quietly, meeting Mithrandir's eyes for a moment. "And now, if you will excuse me, I believe it is time I sought my bed for the evening. We will speak further in the morning." Since Elrohir's room was just down the hall from Eradan's, he also said good night to the wizard and escorted his brother to the family wing, speaking quietly with the man.

The next morning, Eradan was already seated at the table with Mithrandir and the rest of the recent arrivals by the time Ari and Lothrin came running into the room, followed more slowly by Gilraen. Seeing the strangers seated at the table, the children came to a skidding stop just inside the doorway, staring.

Smiling at the looks of wide-eyed amazement on their faces, Eradan gestured for the children to enter. "Come in, you two. We have company, and I would like to introduce you to them." Lothrin clung to her brother's hand and tried to hide behind him as they walked hesitantly over to Eradan's side. The ranger reached down to pull Lothrin up to his lap, and she hid her face in the crook of his neck, peeking out through his hair. Placing a hand on Aragorn's shoulder, Eradan introduced him as Ari.

"And the shy one here is Lothrin," he said, a hand on her back in reassurance. Nodding to each of the visitors, Eradan introduced each one in turn. "Ari, Lothrin, this is Thorin, Dwalin, Balin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur and Bilbo. You already know Mithrandir." At the list of names, Lothrin turned around to face the many unfamiliar faces around the table. She giggled as Eradan recited their names.

"And what do you find so amusing, my little flower?" Eradan asked, reaching up and gently tickling the nape of her neck. She giggled more and squirmed away from his hand.

"They have funny names," she said, speaking in Sindarin, the first language she had learned. She understood and could speak Westron well enough, but she was far more comfortable with the elven language, and did not seem to realize that Eradan had been speaking in Westron. Eradan nodded politely to Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir as they entered the room and took their seats without interrupting the interaction between their guests and the children.

"What did she say?" Bilbo asked in curiosity. He had heard some of the elves speaking the same language, but did not understand the words.

Chuckling, Eradan shook his head. "She has never heard names like yours. Growing up here, she has heard only elven and Dúnedain names." He lightly tapped Lothrin's nose. "You should speak Westron, little one. Our guests do not understand Sindarin."

Before Lothrin could respond, Ari spoke up, a hint of wonder in his voice. "You're dwarves, aren't you?" He had been studying them since the moment he had entered the room, and had finally found his voice.

The dwarves nodded, while Bilbo spoke up, a little flustered. "I am not a dwarf. I'm a hobbit!"

"What is a hobbit?" Lothrin asked in careful, precise Westron. She looked at Bilbo in curiosity. Climbing down from Eradan's lap, she walked around the table to stand beside Bilbo's chair.

Climbing down from his chair, Bilbo gave her a short bow, ever polite. "I am a Hobbit, child."

Lothrin grinned as she looked up at him, then back over her shoulder to her brother as he walked over to stand protectively at her side. He was slightly taller than Bilbo, and the realization brought a grin to his own face. "Someone to play with!" Lothrin squealed, jumping up and down, clapping her hands.

Bilbo smiled down at the child. Her happiness broke through his earlier irritation. "I may not look it to your eyes, but I am an adult, Lothrin. I am not another child to play with, even if your brother is taller than I."

Lothrin frowned slightly, tilting her head. The logic didn't seem to make sense to her. She turned and pointed to where Elladan, Elrohir and Eradan sat on the other side of the table. "They play with me."

Following her finger, Bilbo took in the sight of two obviously adult elves and a grown man. Apparently, she was used to having adult playmates, and age made no difference to her. "Well, in that case, perhaps we can play later. But I believe your food is getting cold. Can we eat our meal first?" He gazed longingly at the food on his plate, eager to get back to it.

Nodding at him, her eyes bright, Lothrin skipped over to her normal chair and climbed up in it, ready to eat. Ari watched the hobbit for a moment longer before offering him a smile. "She loves to play tea party, so at least you'll get some food out of it. That's if she decides she doesn't want imaginary food, anyway."

Bilbo watched as the boy went back to his seat and started filling his plate. His eyes remained on the children a moment, a bemused expression on his face, then he returned to his seat and resumed eating his meal. He did not seem to know what to think of the children any more than they knew what to think of him.

Throughout the meal, Ari and Lothrin peppered the visitors with questions, drawing out stories and tales of lands far away and strange to the children. Eradan was pleased to see that there was no reticence on Ari's part toward their guests. As soon as the meal was complete, Lothrin approached Bilbo, taking him by the hand and leading him to her playroom. Ari followed behind, speaking animatedly with the hobbit the entire way.

Over the next few days, Bilbo spent a great deal of time in the company of the children. They considered it their duty to show him all of their favorite places to play as well as introduce him to all the elves they knew and loved. Quite often, one or more of the dwarves, most notably Kili and Fili, the youngest of the dwarven companions, accompanied the three. Though Eradan was greatly pleased to see the friendship growing between the children and Bilbo, he was unsure if he should allow them to grow close to the dwarven brothers, knowing that they would not return from this quest. If history repeated, Fili and Kili would die defending Thorin. In the end, however, he decided that the grief the children would feel was not enough for him to interfere in their befriending the dwarves. It was better to enjoy friends while they were there than to close off an open heart to the ability to love. Besides, there was no assurance that history would repeat exactly. There was always a chance that Fili, Kili and Thorin would survive this time. He had to keep a firm grasp on his desire to confide in Gandalf and see if the wizard would be able to prevent their deaths. However, his fear of changing history, especially at this particular point in time, kept him silent.

It had been nearly a week that Gandalf and his traveling companions had been in Rivendell when a rider from Lothlórien arrived in the valley. The rider insisted on speaking directly with Elrond, and upon finding that Gandalf was also in residence, insisted that the Istar join the discussion. As the three disappeared behind closed doors, Elrohir gave Eradan an inquiring look, wondering what was happening. A shake of the head was all the response Eradan gave. Elrohir would find out soon enough the meaning of the meeting. Eradan returned to the library where he had been studying a text on herbs used in healing, followed by Elrohir. The elf did not ask questions, but it was clear to Eradan that his curiosity was disrupting Elrohir's ability to concentrate on his own book.

After an hour, Elrond sent pages to summon his sons, Glorfindel and Erestor to join him. Eradan looked up and met Elrohir's eyes as the elf left the room, knowing that he was about to be told of the next meeting of the White Council.

It was some time later that Gandalf, Elrohir and the messenger from Lothlórien exited the room, leaving Glorfindel, Erestor, Elladan and Elrond in the study. Elrohir escorted their visitor to a guest room while Gandalf joined Eradan in the library. The wizard made his way over to a window, where he looked out over the valley thoughtfully, filling and lighting his pipe, seemingly ignoring the man watching him from one of the plush reading chairs near the door.

Well accustomed to Gandalf's ways, Eradan simply placed his book to the side and rose from his chair to go stand at the wizard's side. He held his peace, waiting for the other to speak. The silence lengthened and Eradan felt his patience growing thin. Before he could open his mouth and break the tension, Elrohir joined them in the room, closing the door behind him. Only then did Gandalf turn from his thoughts to face the others. Elrohir crossed the room and took a chair near the window, gesturing for the others to be seated as well. Taking their cue, Eradan and Gandalf chose seats so that they formed a triangle.

It was Gandalf who finally broke the silence. He let a puff of smoke out of his mouth as he looked at Eradan. "I will assume that you are aware of the reason for the messenger from Lothlórien?"

"I believe so," Eradan answered cautiously, not sure what questions he would be asked.

Hearing the wary tone of voice, Gandalf raised a hand. "Do not fear, Aragorn. I will not ask what you can not tell. The White Council has been summoned to meet in Lothlórien a few months hence. My task with the dwarves will not be complete by that time. Had it not been for your insistence of the importance of their quest, I would not hesitate to join the council as is my duty. I merely wanted to ask you if this task is so important that I should remain with Thorin and his company and miss the meeting?"

A flash of panic crossed Aragorn's face at the thought before he could control it. "No," he said immediately, trying very hard to keep his voice even. Shaking his head in disgust at his inability to control his own emotions, Aragorn met Gandalf's eyes. "Your answer is in your question. Had it not been for me, you would have left Thorin and the others to their own devices for a time and journeyed to the council meeting. You must follow your own heart in that matter."

Eyes narrowed, Gandalf studied the man before him, seeking the reason for the sudden panic. "What happens that you think my presence at this council meeting so important?"

Aragorn's expression hardened, his features seemingly turning to stone. He sat back slowly in his chair, thinking over his response. "I am attempting to keep history on its proper course, Gandalf. You attended the meeting the first time around, thus you must attend this time." Glancing aside at Elrohir, he sought to deflect the wizard's attention. "May I assume that your father, Glorfindel and Erestor are all making plans to attend?"

With a nod, Elrohir answered. "Yes, they leave Elladan and me behind to see to matters in Imladris while they journey to Lothlórien."

Though Elrohir's expression strove for impassive, Aragorn had enough experience with the youngest twin to read the deeper emotions he tried to hide. "And you are not happy about being left behind, are you?"

A grimace crossed Elrohir's face. "It would seem you know me too well, brother. No, I do not appreciate being left behind. I understand that it is our duty to remain here and see to our people in the absence of not only our father, but Erestor and Glorfindel as well. However, as a son of Elrond, I wish to ride out by his side, to see to his protection."

Giving Elrohir a stern glance, Aragorn asked, "Do you not trust Glorfindel, of all people, to see to your father's protection? He, Erestor, and all of the guards he will take with him are hardy warriors and not likely to allow anything to happen to the lord of this valley."

"I realize that," Elrohir said. His eyes closed momentarily as he bowed his head, pausing before continuing. He opened his eyes and met Aragorn's steady gaze. "I know they will protect him, but it is not my mind that is the source of this fear. Ever since our mother was attacked, my heart has feared watching my father ride off without me." His gaze was locked on Aragorn's face. "I will not ask anything you cannot share, but you would do me a great favor if you could but assuage this fear. If you tell me that my father will return to us, safe and whole, I will believe you and take comfort in your words."

Aragorn hesitated only a moment before speaking. "You have my word that in my history, all those who rode out for this council meeting returned whole and safe." Glancing aside at Gandalf, and considering the impact of his words, Aragorn decided to go ahead and speak further of the future than he had before. "Even at the time I left, Elrond was alive and well. He was always there for me as a child, and throughout my adult life. While I cannot make any guarantees that history will remain unchanged, as far as I know, your father will remain safe."

Gandalf turned a disbelieving look on Aragorn. "You have been careful not to say such things about our future. Why do you break your silence now?"

Aragorn lowered his gaze, not meeting the wizard's eyes. "If I can ease the fear of a brother for one he loves, I will gladly do so. It is true that there are many things of which I will not speak, but this is one small thing that I may do." Looking up slowly, he met Elrohir's gaze. "Though, as I said, I can give no guarantees that things will not change. I have seen some changes already, but few of those should have any affect on this."

"I thank you," Elrohir said softly, holding the man's gaze, allowing Aragorn to see what the reassurance meant to him.

A tilt of the head in acknowledgment was Aragorn's response. "You are welcome." He turned his attention to the wizard. "I was never privy to all that was discussed during this council meeting, and I do not know if any mention was ever made of Elrond's foster-son, Estel. I will ask, however, that you refrain from mentioning Ari, and if possible, keep any others from mentioning him, as well."

Eyeing the man with a great deal of curiosity, Gandalf asked his next question warily. "Do you have reason to distrust any of those on the council?"

Glancing out toward the window and the valley beyond, Aragorn thought how best to answer. He could not give any indication that Saruman was not to be trusted, it was too early for that. But he was afraid that Gandalf would sense a lie. He would have to be quite careful here. "I feel it is my duty to protect Arathorn and his entire family, especially Ari. They will all be safer if fewer people know of their presence here. I seek to ensure their presence remains a secret as much as it may."

"And is that the only reason?" Gandalf asked, his eyes boring into Aragorn's as if he were searching out every secret the man held.

Holding his gaze steady, Aragorn held his tongue, letting his silence speak for him. He had said all he would say on the subject.

Elrohir glanced back and forth between them for a moment before clapping his hands lightly to break their stare. "Well, if that is all that will be said on this subject, I must be going. With father preparing to leave soon, Elladan and I will be busy for quite some time in preparation. If you will both excuse me." He stood up and headed for the door, pausing long enough to look back at Aragorn. "Thank you again." Giving the man no time to respond, he turned and strode from the room.

The wizard turned an inquiring glance toward Aragorn, waiting for a further response. Crossing the room and closing the door, Gandalf then made his way back over to sit across from the man. "You have seemed more burdened and secretive than usual, my friend. I understand that there are many things of which you cannot speak, but is there some way in which I can help relieve your burdens? Is there something about the events happening now that weighs upon you?"

For a long moment, Aragorn stared at the wizard, musing over what he should say. If there were any one person he could trust to help him determine the proper course of action, it would be Gandalf. But how much could he say? A deep sigh escaped him as he decided to broach at least some of what currently burdened him. "Though I fear to say too much, you are correct. This particular point in time is a critical one. Many forces are moving, as yet unseen, but soon to be revealed. I fear to change events, as even a small change now could have unforeseeable consequences. I feel as if I stand on the edge of a knife, and the smallest misstep could prove fatal." Rising from his chair, he strode over to the window, not able to meet the Istar's eyes.

Gazing out over the valley, he continued speaking in a quiet voice. "I know how fragile history is and have been working since my arrival to ensure that things follow their 'proper' course." A sigh escaped him, and the next words he spoke were barely audible, whispered into the silence of the room. "And yet…"

A long pause followed those words, broken at last by the wizard as he rose to join Aragorn near the window. "And yet?" Gandalf's words were soft, encouraging Aragorn to continue with his train of thought.

Leaning his head against the window frame and keeping his gaze focused on the distance, not daring to look at Mithrandir, Aragorn confessed the thoughts that tormented his mind. "Lately, I have found myself tempted to change the course of events, deliberately." The words were reluctant, seemingly pulled from the depths of his soul.

"In what way?" Mithrandir asked, his tone careful and wary. The sudden tension in his body would not have been detectable by those who did not know him, but to Aragorn, it was as apparent as the beard on the wizard's face.

Feeling the wizard's stare, Aragorn shifted his body to lean against the wall, taking his weight off his still healing leg and turning his head to meet Mithrandir's intent gaze. "I dare not interfere in events happening now, but an opportunity should soon arise, one which I will not speak of yet." He crossed his arms over his chest, dropping his gaze to where the hem of the wizard's robe brushed the floor. His words were hesitant, as he worked to decide how much he could say. "There is a great event that occurs in my lifetime, but not for decades hence. If I could complete this task early, it would prevent a great deal of suffering and pain for many. Though it did not happen that way in my world, it would seem to me that the time will soon be right for this task to be completed." In the silence that followed, Aragorn could hear the breathing of both of them, the whisper of fabric as Mithrandir shifted, and his own racing heart thundering in his ears. He never imagined voicing these thoughts aloud, and did not know what to expect now.

"I see," Mithrandir's voice rumbled, his tone impassive, giving Aragorn no clue to his thoughts on this matter. Raising his head once more, he met the wizard's gaze, forcing himself not to flinch away this time. He waited to see what else Mithrandir would say. "I would assume that there are other consequences to be considered if this event were to happen decades early. Did you have some part to play in this event since you know enough to attempt it early?" At Aragorn's nod, Gandalf continued, "And what will happen if Ari is too young to take part in such a task? Do you intend to involve those who were involved the first time, or undertake this task on your own?"

Letting out his breath slowly, Aragorn tightened his arms across his chest. "I had planned to take this task on myself, with only your help, perhaps. Many of those involved originally have not yet been born, or are still very young. And I am considering the many possible consequences, should I decide on this course of action. Without this event, many other things may never happen, and I am weighing all of those consequences now. But my main concern is that if I were to take this task on myself, I may not succeed. The fulfillment of the task was in doubt so many times in my history, and when it did succeed, it was beyond all hope, but I know now that it did and hopefully will again achieve victory. If I were to make the attempt myself, I have no such guarantee. Is this something I should even try, or do I wait for history to catch up to me and let things happen as they did before, knowing the pain and deaths that will occur in the intervening time?"

"Are you asking my opinion, or merely voicing your thoughts aloud?" Mithrandir asked, a hint of amusement in his tone. "For me to have an opinion, I fear I would need to know a few more details than you have seen fit to gift me with."

A wry grin twisted Aragorn's lips and he shook his head. "I fear I cannot bring myself to share any more details with you as yet. I must give the matter more thought, but if I truly decide that it is worth attempting to change the course of history, I promise to tell you all I can, and give you all the details you will need to give me a fully informed opinion. At that point, I will listen to all you have to say, and we can make the final decision together. If I decide to allow history to take the same path it did before, I will never mention this again."

Taking a deep breath and slowly releasing it, Gandalf nodded, holding Aragorn's gaze. "Very well, then. I will trust you to do as you say in this matter. Before you make any decisions, however, I want you to carefully consider the consequences of any action you may or may not take. This does not seem to be only one life you are considering tampering with, but the fate of many. Weigh their best interests against your own desires, and do not treat this lightly."

"I can assure you, I do not treat this lightly at all." Aragorn's voice was firm. "It has occupied my thoughts for weeks now, and I fear that any action I take will be the wrong one. Things could end in disaster if I act precipitously. I am considering all aspects quite thoroughly, trust me on that." He forced himself to uncross his arms and step back, away from the window. Limping over to the chair he had vacated, he sat down heavily, unconsciously rubbing his leg. "I fear that rather than relieving my burden, all I have done is add to yours."

Mithrandir remained by the window, turning to watch Aragorn. "You have certainly aroused my curiosity, I will admit." Seeing the pensive look on the man's face, the wizard nodded abruptly. "And since I have questions you will not answer, I will leave you to your thoughts. I trust that you will come to me if you do decide to take any action that did not happen in your history?" Receiving a nod in return, Mithrandir strode to the door and left the library, leaving the man behind deep in thought.

"Eradan." Hearing his name spoken into the silence that had fallen over the library caused the man to jump. Turning, he saw Elrond standing in the doorway. The elf lord bowed his head briefly. "Forgive me, I did not mean to startle you."

"There is nothing to forgive, my lord," Eradan said, calming his racing heart and rising to his feet, bowing his own head briefly in acknowledgment of the lord of the valley. "I was merely lost in thought and did not notice your arrival. Did you require something?"

"I have a matter that I wish to discuss with you," the elf lord said, stepping into the room. "Do you have a moment?"

"Of course," Eradan replied, waving to the chair opposite him in an invitation for the other to sit. "Please, join me."

Closing the door and crossing the room, Elrond took the seat offered, leaning back and studying the man as he once again sat down. His healer's eyes studied the man's movements and the stiffness still evident in his leg. "Does your leg still pain you? You have avoided the healer's room of late, and I have not had a chance to examine how well it is healing." There was a faint chiding note in his voice.

Chuckling, Eradan waved a hand to reassure the healer. "I am not in pain most of the time. My leg is merely stiff and does not move as easily as it once did. I have continued the exercises and the treatments you recommended. It is healing well, and I did not see reason to bother you with it. Is that the reason you sought me out here?"

"No, though I would like to examine your leg in the next few days to see for myself that all is well." He steepled his hands in front of him and stared intently at the ranger. "No, I sought you out for another reason altogether." Glancing briefly at the door, then back to Eradan, Elrond spoke cautiously. "I could not help but notice that immediately upon leaving a council with me, both Mithrandir and Elrohir came here to speak with you. Would you care to tell me why?"

Eradan shrugged awkwardly, his mind working to come up with a reason for such a visit. "Elrohir told me that you would be leaving in a few months, and wanted to inform me that he and Elladan would be quite busy for some time to come and would not be able to help me train as intently as I would wish." He hated lying to Elrond, knowing how easily the elf lord had always seen through such attempts with his foster son, Estel. It occurred to him that Eradan might not have any better luck with evading the truth.

"And Mithrandir? He remained in counsel with you some time after Elrohir left, did he not?" Elrond kept his voice impassive, though he watched the man intently.

Fighting to keep his voice calm and his face from giving anything away, Eradan responded with a tone of confusion. "He wished to discuss how well Aragorn was adapting to his new name and the guests currently residing here." A long glance at Elrond, and an uneasy shift in his chair preceded his next hesitant question. "May I ask the reason for these questions? You seem to be showing an unusual interest in those with whom I speak."

Elrond raised an eyebrow at the young man's questions. "I was simply giving you an opportunity to confide in me the truth that you hide." Holding up a hand as Eradan's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to speak, Elrond silenced the protests forming on the man's lips. "Please hear what I have to say before you speak. It has not escaped my attention that you are not entirely who you claim to be."

"My lord, who else would I be?" Eradan interrupted, unable to help himself, sitting forward in his chair, elbows on his knees. He could not let such a statement go by without challenging it.

A raised hand again silenced Eradan as Elrond tilted his head and studied the man's face. "That, I do not know." He paused a moment, considering how to phrase what he wanted to say. Eradan's eyes fell to his lap and he began fingering the edge of his tunic, rubbing the soft fabric between his fingers in a nervous gesture.

"It is obvious that you are the young man known as Eradan, for you traveled with your father and with Arathorn, and they would know if you were an impostor. But you are not simply a young Dúnadan of twenty-eight years. I have seen a knowledge within you that belies your years, one that cannot be explained simply with the gift of foresight you claim. I have sensed the weight of many more years than you have lived. As you likely know, I can see into the hearts of men, to a point, and I know that you carry some secret within you that you can not, or will not, confide in others." Elrond's eyes flickered briefly toward the door of the library. "From my observations, it appears that both Mithrandir and Elrohir know what secret you hold. I had hoped that you would feel you could confide in me, but if you are unable to do so, I will trust in the judgment of my son and Mithrandir. They trust you, so I will as well. I would appreciate, however, if you could refrain from attempting to deceive me in the future. If there is something that you cannot answer, simply tell me and I will not ask for further clarification. As well, if there is some matter of which you feel I need to be aware, please inform me, and I will take you at your word." Having said what he wished, the elf lord sat back in his chair, folded his hands in his lap and waited for the reaction of his companion.

When Elrond fell silent, Eradan forced his breathing to remain even in an attempt to quiet his roiling emotions. His eyes remained fixed on his lap as he weighed his options in responding to Elrond. Though he could feel the scrutiny of the elf, he would not be rushed into a decision. If he tried to deny that he had secrets, he would be saying that he did not trust Elrond enough to tell him the truth. But he still felt that he should not speak the full truth, at least not yet. It would serve no point. However, Elrond had given him a third choice, and it was that option he chose. Rubbing his hands over his thighs in a slow, deliberate movement, he looked up and finally met the steady, patient gaze directed at him.

"I am honored by your trust, Lord Elrond. All the more so because you offer it without expecting the full truth in return." Allowing his guise of Eradan to slip just enough so that Aragorn peeked out at the elf lord, he apologized. "It was never my wish to deceive you, my lord. There were many times that I considered confiding in you, but the burden I carry is not one that can be shared." Aragorn's voice was earnest as he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. He did not want Elrond to think that he had wanted to lie to him, or that he did not trust him. The thought of losing Elrond's trust was one that he could not bear.

Elrond studied the man across from him. As he began speaking, a change came over him. It was subtle, a quicksilver flash that Elrond was not sure he had even seen, but suddenly, it was not Eradan looking back at him, but a stranger. There was a wisdom, an age behind those eyes that did not belong to a ranger who had yet to see his fourth decade. As he searched deeper, however, he realized that Eradan did not have the ageless sense of one of the Istari, or even one of the elves. What he now sensed in this person was something altogether new.

After a few moments of scrutiny, Eradan raised an eyebrow in inquiry.

"Forgive me," Elrond said, breaking off his stare and relaxing further into his chair. "You said your burden could not be shared? Why then have you chosen to tell my son?"

A soft snort of laughter escaped Eradan, and he shook his head ruefully, sitting back in his chair. "I did not choose to tell Elrohir. Mithrandir is the only one in whom I have confided. He and I were speaking when he came to visit me after my injury, and I fear we were not very careful in our conversation. Elrohir overheard us, and shortly after, confronted me with his knowledge. While I have been grateful for his friendship and support, it was not my choice to tell him. It was revealed upon his arrival here a week ago that Mithrandir guided our conversation, having decided that I needed another confidante."

An amused smile curved Elrond's lips as Eradan related Mithrandir's manipulations. "I would believe that of the wizard. And it makes sense that Elrohir is the one he chose for your confidante. You could not find a truer and more loyal friend than him. I had at first thought the change in his behavior toward you a reaction to your injury and illness. I have noticed him deferring to your decisions, or following your lead, even over his brother. That he trusts you all the more since learning your secret is readily apparent."

"I would never want to come between your sons," Eradan frowned, the laughter fading as if it had never been. "I asked Elrohir to keep this secret from his brother, for I felt that the fewer who knew, the better. But I would not have this cause a rift between them. That is the last thing I want to occur." The thought that he could be a source of problems between the twins horrified him. "I would not choose to share my secret with any others, but you know your sons best. If you think I should tell Elladan also, I will certainly consider it."

"No," Elrond reassured him, raising a hand to halt the man's words. "Do not feel obligated to bring another into your confidence. My sons are well old enough to manage their own relationships. They have not always agreed on things, and they have never let their arguments come between them. I do not think Elrohir's friendship with you will be capable of sundering them."

"Thank you. I will trust your opinion in this. I want you to know, my lord, that I do trust you, whether or not I am free to confide my secret. There may come a time when it will be necessary to do so, but that time is not yet upon us." Eradan seemed as though he wanted to say something more, but stopped and took a deep breath, growing still as he watched the lord of Imladris.

Sensing that the conversation had come to an end, Elrond held Eradan's eyes as he spoke. "And I trust you, Eradan. Though I do not know the reason, you have had my trust since shortly after we met. I do not fear the secret you hold, because I trust those who have discovered your secret, and their trust in you is complete. I would be honored to learn your secret when the time is right, but I will not press you." He looked away from the man toward the window, judging the time of day by the angle of the light. "And now, I will take my leave of you. I have others I must see before the evening meal. Please excuse me." He stood to leave, and Eradan rose to his feet a trifle more slowly, bowing in respect to the elf lord. Elrond strode from the room, leaving the door open, and Eradan sank back into his chair, shaking his head, bemused. This day had not turned out at all as he had expected.

That night, Aragorn's sleep was restless, his dreams disturbed by the possible consequences, both good and bad, of his actions if he were to attempt to destroy the Ring now rather than wait for it to pass to Frodo. He tossed and turned as a place that filled his heart with dread took shape behind his closed eyelids.

Aragorn's breathing was shallow as he tried not to inhale the stench of Mordor, though it was a lost cause. He and Mithrandir had made it deep into the heart of Sauron's territory, though Orodruin was still some distance off. Their journey thus far had been remarkably uneventful. It had taken some convincing, but Bilbo had reluctantly handed over the Ring when Gandalf explained the importance of the quest to him. They had been able to slip past the Gap of Rohan and make their way to the stairs of Cirith Ungol without encountering either friend or foe, taking great care to pass almost invisibly through the land. Shelob would never bother another being, and even the Ring had remained quiescent for the entire journey. It was much easier than Aragorn had ever expected.

Yet as soon as the thought flickered through his mind, he heard the ringing call of a horn. He turned to find an orc leering down at them from an outcropping of rock near their position. They had been discovered! Aragorn straightened up and pulled his sword as orcs appeared seemingly out of nowhere, streaming toward him and Mithrandir in numbers too great to count.

Aragorn closed with the lead orc and dispatched him as quickly as he could, freeing up his sword for the next orc. There was no art to this battle, no subtle dance of the opponents, or graceful sweep of blades. Aragorn fought with an economy of motion, knowing he would get no second chances because if his first stroke did not kill, another orc would close upon him. He did not know how long the battle raged, but he had lost track of Gandalf's position some time ago.

A screeching brought his gaze shooting skyward and his heart dropped. Ulairi! Four ringwraiths circled above their heads on the winged fell beasts they rode. His momentary distraction proved fatal. A strangled cry escaped his lips as a sword penetrated his back. Looking down dumbly, he saw the blade protruding from his chest. Aragorn jerked as the sword was roughly pulled away, and he fell to the ground, his entire body numb. Struggling for breath, he could only distantly feel the blows as the orcs took out their anger on his prone form.

Consciousness was slipping away as the orcs drew back from him, allowing a black clad figure to approach. Though he could barely see, Aragorn recognized the mantle the wraith wore. This was the once king of Angmar, the one known as the Witch-king! A flash of despair swept through Aragorn as the wraith crouched down and roughly pulled the Ring from the chain around his neck. Darkness crept over Aragorn's vision. There was no point in fighting death now. Sauron had won. Darkness would soon cover all of Arda. And it was due solely to his arrogance.

"NO!" Aragorn sat up in bed, panting for breath. Glancing wildly around him, he fumbled through his bedding, searching for his sword before the reality of his situation dawned on his sleep-fogged mind. Flopping back onto his bed with a long, shuddering breath, Aragorn closed his eyes and tried to calm his racing heart. That had been all too real to his mind. Placing a hand on his chest, he sighed in relief at finding no injuries. After a long moment to calm himself, he rose from his bed and shuffled to his balcony, taking a deep breath of the cool night air. Leaning against the railing and looking out over the peaceful valley, Aragorn realized that he could not take the chance of changing history by attempting to take the Ring to Mordor. There were too many things that could go wrong. His nightmare had only shown him one possibility. He could not risk losing the Ring to Sauron. The only option was to allow history to take its proper course. That was how it must be, and to ensure that, he would have to avoid any further temptation to meddle with history. When Mithrandir and Bilbo returned from their adventure, Eradan would not be in Imladris.

On the thirteenth night after the arrival of Gandalf and his company, Elrond gathered with Gandalf and Thorin in his office to examine the map they were following. During the meeting, he read the runes naming the swords that Gandalf and Thorin had found in the cave of the trolls as Glamdring, Foe-hammer, and Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver, and found the moon letters on the map that would aid the dwarves in their quest to enter Smaug's cave unseen. The household was busy preparing for the departure of their guests, replenishing their supplies and seeing to all their needs.

Eradan smiled as he stood in the doorway, watching Bilbo, Kili and Fili playing with the children. Lothrin had decided to host a going away tea party, and Ari had sweet-talked the cooks into providing a great deal of cakes and pastries for them, even enough to satisfy one hobbit and two hungry dwarves. When Ari looked up and waved Eradan in, he gladly entered the room and took a seat at the table, watching Lothrin play the gracious hostess. He was grateful for this night of peace and enjoyment before Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarves left the next morning. From the stories he had heard, he knew that the travelers had a great deal of danger and hardship yet ahead of them. Fighting off a sense of melancholy as he watched the youngest of the dwarves, he forced the thought that this journey would claim their lives from his mind. Events were not set in stone. There was still a chance that they would survive, though he dared not utter a word of warning to any for fear of causing unpredictable changes to history.

At a knock on the door, Eradan looked up to see Gandalf standing in the entryway, his eyes twinkling as he gazed upon the children and their guests. "Eradan, may I speak with you a moment?"

"Of course, my friend." Eradan placed his hand over his heart and turned to Lothrin. "Forgive me, my flower, but I must speak with Gandalf. I will return as soon as I can."

A small frown crossed her face, then smoothed away as she looked back at Gandalf in the doorway. "Very well. You may leave," she said magnanimously, waving her hand dismissively in her best imitation of Lord Elrond before turning back to her other guests.

Hiding his smile, Eradan inclined his head, then rose from his seat to join the wizard. Without speaking, they strode down the hallway to an unoccupied sitting room. Closing the door and gesturing for Eradan to take a seat, Gandalf seated himself across from the man.

"Is all in readiness for your departure?" Eradan asked as he settled back into his chair.

"Most of the preparations are complete, yes." Clasping his hands together and resting them comfortably on his knee, Gandalf speared the man with his intent gaze. "I need to know if you have decided on a course of action in regards to the conversation we had several days ago?"

Taking a deep breath, Aragorn leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, steadily meeting the wizard's eyes. "Yes, I have. There are too many unknowns to contemplate if I decide to start interfering in the course of history. A nightmare or vision showed me one of the possible outcomes of my interference. It is one that I could not live with. You have my word that I will make no attempts to change events so drastically. My only interventions will be to ensure that history follows its proper course."

Releasing a long breath, Gandalf nodded abruptly. "Good. I am glad to hear it. From what little you have said, it is clear that events have proceeded to a desired outcome in your time. Who knows what might happen to that future if things are changed here and now?" He sat back in his chair as the tension left his frame.

"Those were my thoughts on the matter, yes," Aragorn answered softly. "The slightest change now could have disastrous effects on the future. My dream showed one version of how things could unfold, and I must ensure that things do not progress as they did in that dream. I will take no action now."

Gandalf clapped his hands together and stood, startling Aragorn. "Now that business has been discussed, would you care to join an old man in a smoke before I leave come the morn?"

With a bemused smile at Gandalf's mercurial moods, Aragorn nodded and stood. "It would please me to do this with an old friend. Yes, I will join you." They stood and made their way outside to a fairly secluded place in the garden and sat smoking and talking late into the night.

When morning came, Eradan stood with Gilraen and the children to see Gandalf and their new friends off. The dwarves were in good moods at the continuation of their journey, Bilbo kept gazing longingly back at the great hall where he had enjoyed so many feasts, and the children worked not to cry at the departure of their new playmates. Eradan clasped Gandalf's arm in a warrior's grip and wished him well. "Take care of yourself, my friend. Yours is not an easy journey." That was all the warning he could give, but the wizard understood.

"I will watch out for them, as best I can," he said softly, squeezing Eradan's arm in return. He turned away then, gesturing for the others to follow. "Come along then, the day is not getting any younger, and neither am I." He winked back at Eradan as he led the dwarves and Bilbo on the path out of Rivendell.

As the children insisted on staying until they could no longer see the departing company, Eradan remained with them. He could not help watching three members in particular, saying goodbye in his own mind, knowing that this was likely the last time he would see them alive. A hand rested lightly on his shoulder, and he turned slightly to see Elrohir standing beside him.

"Are you well?" The question was soft, likely not loud enough to be heard by the children, who were chattering away between themselves.

"Well enough." It was all the answer he could give. Elrohir would understand his reaction later, when news of the Battle of Five Armies reached Imladris, and with it, the news of those who had fallen. "Thank you," he added, meeting the eyes of his brother. Elrohir gave him a faintly puzzled look, but nodded, knowing he would gain no further insight at the moment. Once the last of the dwarves walked round a bend in the path, out of sight, the children turned to go back into the house, and Eradan followed, looking for a distraction from his thoughts.

Over the next couple of months, he often wondered how the quest was progressing, if Bilbo had found the ring, if anyone had been killed in the orc attack, or in being chased by wargs and orcs before the great eagles came to their rescue. But no news of the quest reached their ears, and Aragorn could do little but wonder about their fates. Though he worried over his friends, he did not sit idle in his waiting. As his leg healed and began to regain its strength, he went more and more often to the practice fields, once again picking up his sword. He found his initial clumsiness frustrating, but Elrohir and Elladan were quick to point out how well he was healing and to help him find a different way of accomplishing the same result that would better accommodate his injury. Under their expert tutelage, he quickly re-gained his ability to fight with his favored weapon. He often worked with Ari as well, to train the young boy in the skills he would need throughout his life.

All too soon, it was time for Elrond, Erestor, Glorfindel and their guards to leave for the meeting of the White Council. As before, several members of the household gathered to say farewell to their departing lords. Eradan nodded to Elrond when the lord of the valley turned to face him.

"I trust you will do your best to keep my sons out of trouble in my absence?"

A smile graced Eradan's face and he nodded to the elf lord. "I will do my best, my lord." He turned serious, then. "I assure you that the valley will be safe in your absence, as will your people. It will all be as you left it when you return safely from your journey. Your sons will see to it."

Elrond held Eradan's eyes for a moment, looking for the deeper meaning behind the words. He apparently understood that Eradan was telling him something of the future, that he would return safely, and that he had no reason to worry over those he had left behind while he was traveling. A slow nod was enough to convey his thanks for the assurance.

Moving on to his sons, he gave them last minute instructions and said his farewells. Standing with Elrohir and Elladan, Eradan placed a hand on each of their shoulders as they watched the party mount their horses and ride out of the safety of the valley. "Fear not for your father, my friends. He will return safely, I have foreseen it."

"Thank you," Elrohir nodded in relief at Eradan, knowing that he was speaking as truly as he knew. Elladan inclined his head in thanks as well, but his eyes still held uncertainty, knowing as he did that foreknowledge could be a tricky thing and did not always show the truth, but sometimes only possibilities. None of them turned to go back inside until after the last horse and elf had passed out of sight.

Over the next few weeks, Imladris was quieter than usual, the inhabitants more subdued as they all keenly felt the absence of the lord of the valley. Even the children were less exuberant than usual, sensing the more somber atmosphere around them. Eradan worked to keep the twins' spirits up, to keep them from worrying, but they were often too busy to spend much time in his company. Elrohir, at least, sought him out when he had a few moments free from his responsibilities. Elladan, on the other hand, grew tenser as each day passed without word from their father. At long last, a messenger arrived from Lothlórien and was ushered immediately into Elrond's library, where the twins were working.

Eradan stared at the closed door, wishing in this moment that Elladan knew who he was so that he could be included as they read the missive. Though he knew that all returned safe and whole in his history, he was not so very sure that things would occur in the same way this time around. He waited impatiently for what seemed an age before the door opened and the messenger left the room, escorted by Elladan, who seemed much more relaxed than he had been.

Knowing that only Elrohir remained in the library, Eradan approached the room and knocked lightly on the doorframe. Elrohir looked up from the parchment on the desk and motioned for Eradan to enter. "Good, Eradan. I was on my way to find you. Please, come in and close the door."

Doing as asked, Eradan crossed the room, took a seat across from Elrohir and looked at him over the desk. "What news from Lothlórien? Is all well?"

Leveling a serious look on the man, Elrohir indicated the missive. "You knew what would come of this council meeting, did you not? My father and the others ventured into the southern reaches of Mirkwood to drive Sauron out of Dol Guldur." Elrohir seemed to be struggling to keep his voice calm.

Giving his brother a wary look, Aragorn nodded. "Yes, I knew this. That is why I insisted it was so important for Mithrandir to join the council meeting. The task would have been much more difficult without his help." He hesitated before continuing. "Why are you angry with me?"

"You did not warn me that my father would be riding against Sauron himself!" Elrohir exclaimed, rising from his chair and beginning to pace. "If I had known he would be in such danger, I would have insisted on joining him, as would Elladan, had he known this."

"I cannot tell you of future events and risk them being changed," Aragorn pointed out. "You know this. What has happened to upset you so? Is everyone well? Please tell me if something has changed. Is Adar hurt?" Aragorn's voice was now anxious and pleading.

Hearing the man refer to Elrond as his Adar brought Elrohir up short. "Adar is well enough," Elrohir assured him. Seeing Aragorn close his eyes and slump in relief reminded Elrohir that he was not the only one who might be worried about those who had ridden against such an evil foe. "He and the others had some minor injuries and will be remaining in Lothlórien until such time as they are fully healed. There were no elves lost, though that seems only by the grace of the Valar." Releasing his anger, Elrohir returned to his seat behind the desk and rested his elbows on the wood surface, gazing at Aragorn. "I understand your reasons for keeping your peace, but I was not pleased to learn of the danger my father faced, knowing that you knew it would come."

Sighing, Aragorn nodded, glancing away and swallowing before forcing himself to meet Elrohir's eyes again. "I apologize for keeping this from you, but I knew that you had remained behind before, and must do so again. Though, if something had changed and anyone had been seriously hurt or even killed, I do not know that I would have been able to forgive myself for not warning someone. I would not have expected your forgiveness in such a situation, either. However, since all is well, I would hope you could find it in your heart to forgive my silence?"

For a long moment, Elrohir did not answer, and Aragorn lowered his gaze to the floor, feeling that he had lost his brother's trust.

Seeing the dejected look on Aragorn's face, Elrohir rubbed his hands over his face quickly, as if trying to rub away the remaining anger. Trying to put himself in the other's place, he realized how worried he must have been this whole time, knowing what Elrond and the others would face, not knowing if events would change, and the guilt he would have suffered if Elrond or one of the others had been lost. "I forgive you," he said softly, forcing himself to mean the words as he said them. "I do not like the fact that you kept this knowledge from me, but I do understand your motives in doing so. I cannot truly fault you for doing what you felt was right."

Aragorn's head came up quickly at Elrohir's words, and he searched the elf's eyes, looking for the truth of his words. Exhaling slowly, he closed his eyes in relief. "Thank you," his words were whispered, but heartfelt.

"Would you like to read the message?" Elrohir offered the paper as a gesture of peace.

"Yes, please," Aragorn responded, taking the parchment from Elrohir and quickly perusing the contents. "Good, it seems that Mithrandir sustained no injuries and was able to return to the dwarves and Bilbo. They will need his help before the end of their quest. It eases my heart to know he will be there for them."

"Dare I ask you to explain to what you are referring?" Elrohir's tone was dry, and it was apparent he did not expect an answer. Doing some quick calculations in his head, Aragorn decided that even if Elrohir were to leave this very moment, he could not arrive in time to affect matters and decided to surprise him and offer an answer.

"I feel you do deserve that much, but I must ask a promise of you, that you do not tell anyone what I am about to reveal, and that you take no action. Events are already in motion and unfolding as they must." Aragorn placed the parchment back on the desk in front of Elrohir and raised an eyebrow, waiting for a response.

Elrohir's expression made it clear that he did not quite know how to respond. "Will I regret agreeing to your terms?" He leaned back in his chair and gazed at Aragorn warily.

"Perhaps," Aragorn allowed with a shrug. "But that is the price that must be paid for this knowledge. It is not an easy burden to bear, knowing what will happen, yet being unable to change anything. I will not so burden you if you believe it will be too difficult."

After a moment's thought, Elrohir nodded slowly. "I will agree to keep your secrets and abstain from action, no matter what you tell me." Placing a hand over his heart, he lowered his eyes, making it a vow with his actions.

"Very well," Aragorn said. He proceeded to tell Elrohir what the dwarves would encounter in Smaug's lair, and the full story of the events that would follow. He expounded on the destruction of Laketown, the battle with Smaug that ended in the dragon's death, and then the Battle of Five Armies. He had to pause a moment before adding the deaths of the dwarves that he knew about.

Elrohir could only stare at Aragorn in shock as the full tale was told. "And you expect me to do nothing to help? We should send a contingent of elves to aid Thranduil's people. We might yet prevent the deaths of many; elves, humans and dwarves alike!"

Aragorn shook his head sadly. "It is likely the battle has already commenced. The messenger left Lothlórien many days ago, and it would take a great many more to reach the mountains from here. Even if you were to leave now, it would be finished before you could arrive. The battle will be won by the cooperation of the woodland elves, the humans from Laketown, the dwarves, the Eagles, and Beorn. They will be the ones to destroy the orcs and bring a time of peace to these lands. I cannot say what changes would result if the elves of Imladris were to enter into battle. While the victory would be more easily assured, the scales of a delicate balance could be tipped." He looked down and took a deep breath. "Elrohir, the elves of Imladris were not there in my history. If you led a force to aid Mirkwood, some of them could be killed; elves who were not supposed to die. I do not know how that would affect the next decades. Do you not yet understand that I must change as little as possible?" His frustration was clear in his tone.

His voice lowered to a low hiss, and he leaned forward in his chair as he said what he had sworn not to mention. "I have seen Sauron defeated once and for all, Elrohir. The defeat at Dol Guldur is only temporary. Your father and Mithrandir would both tell you this. He cannot be killed so easily. But I have seen it done. That event, above all else, must repeat, or our world will fall into a darkness from which it may never recover. Everything I do is to ensure the freedom from his evil, though it will not come for decades yet. That is the true secret I hold, Elrohir. Now you know why I will not dare to change anything." Aragorn's breathing was harsh when he finished, the long-held secret taking a toll on him in the telling. He stared uncertainly at Elrohir, sure he had said too much.

For a long moment, Elrohir could only stare at Aragorn, his mind racing, but unable to form a single word. Finally, he pulled his thoughts together enough to speak. "You know how to finally defeat Sauron? Why do you not tell my father and Mithrandir? We could finish him now, while he is weakened from his recent defeat."

Aragorn slumped back into his chair. "I did consider it, but not all of the pieces are yet in place. Some of those who are destined to complete this task are not yet born. Ari will have a role to play, and he will not be ready for such a thing for many years. I have already wrestled with the idea of attempting this task myself, but I know that it will be accomplished successfully in the future, and I cannot take the chance of failure now. Failure could mean Sauron rising to full power again and becoming unstoppable. I cannot take that chance and will tell you no further details. The risk is too great, the penalty too severe. The decision has been made Elrohir. You cannot sway my mind, and you have given your word to remain silent." Aragorn's face was stern and Elrohir knew he was facing a man used to making decisions and abiding by them.

Elrohir stared at the man in dismay, then rose and walked over to the window, staring out blindly. "Now I know why you refused to say a word without first obtaining a promise for my silence." His voice was soft and held a bitter note. Bracing a hand against the window frame, he kept his back to Aragorn.

Sighing heavily, Aragorn stood from his chair and crossed the room to stand near Elrohir. "Forgive me, my brother. I should not have placed such a burden upon your shoulders. I know you too well. You will always want to help others, to save lives if possible. I feel the same, but I am able to see more of the picture, having experienced the next few decades once already. There will be deaths in that time, even of those for whom I care deeply." Gilraen, Halbarad, Boromir and so many others flashed through his mind, people he wished desperately that he could save. Feeling their loss anew, his voice was rough as he continued. "I have wrestled with this since my arrival here, but particularly so in the last few months, knowing that he would be weakened now. My mind has shown me the many ways that I could fail were I to try to defeat Sauron, and I cannot bear the possible consequences of such a failure. It was my own selfish desire to have someone in whom I could confide all my fears and hopes that led me to tell you these things. I only hope you can forgive me for this." Turning, he made his way to the door. "Please know that whatever I do, it is for the good of our entire world, not simply to fulfill my own desires." With that, he opened the door and left the room, not allowing time for Elrohir to respond.

By the time Elrohir turned around, the room was empty. Knowing he needed time alone to think, he strode out of the library and sought out a quiet corner of the garden where he would not be disturbed. Everything he had heard swirled around his mind, not only the words, but the anguish in Aragorn's voice at the thought of losing those he loved, at the uncertainty in the man's voice as he discussed the possible changes that could result to history. What must it be like for him, to know the secret to defeating the most powerful evil to walk Arda in ages, but not be able to do anything to affect that defeat for decades yet?

After a few hours of solitude and thought, Elrohir came to the conclusion that he needed to speak with Aragorn again. Once he was back in the house, however, he found that the man had disappeared. None in the house seemed to know where he was, and Elrohir eventually gave up, thinking to catch the man the next morning. When Eradan did not show up for breakfast, however, Elrohir became concerned. After an exhaustive search of the house, he found a member of the household that had seen the Dúnadan ride off early in the morning with a pack on his back. The sudden fear crept over Elrohir that the man had left the valley to meet up with the rangers, that he would not stay in Imladris any longer after their encounter the day before.

Elrohir left a message for Elladan saying that he was going for a ride, and quickly readied his horse to follow Eradan's trail. He breathed a sigh of relief when he was able to easily follow it. With Aragorn's skill, if he had not wanted to be found, the trail would have been much more difficult to follow. The leaves had fallen from the trees, covering the path, and it would have been quite easy for the man to obscure his tracks. It was less than an hour before he came across a horse grazing quietly along the bank of a small stream. Knowing the man would not be far away, Elrohir dismounted and strolled up the path along the stream. When he rounded a bend, he saw the man sitting on a blanket, staring down into the water.

"Aragorn?" Elrohir asked, walking over to the edge of the blanket. The man did not respond, wrapping his wool cloak more tightly around his shoulders as tension filled his frame. "May I join you?" Elrohir asked tentatively, moving to stand in front of Aragorn so that he could see the ranger's face.

Turning a drawn face up toward the elf, Aragorn nodded, gesturing toward his blanket. "Yes, of course. Please sit."

Studying the man as he sat, Elrohir decided to be blunt. "You do not look well."

A slight shrug was Eradan's response. It was a moment before he spoke, "I did not sleep well last night. And I fear it has been too long since I was on horseback." As he shifted to draw his cloak over his legs, a faint grimace twisted his features.

"Your leg pains you again?" Elrohir asked in concern. "I had thought you were no longer in pain, that your leg was merely stiff on occasion." He leaned forward as if to check the injured leg, but Aragorn shook his head.

"It has not hurt much of late, but the ride irritated it more than even sparring with my sword. I am sure that once I start riding again, the muscles will become accustomed to it once more. In the meantime, however, I am rather uncomfortable." Rubbing a hand over his sore leg, he gazed at Elrohir. "You did not follow me to check on my leg. May I ask why you are here?"

"I felt we had much to discuss after yesterday's talk, but could not find you when I looked. Gilvagor saw you leave on horseback with a pack, and I was afraid you had decided to leave Imladris. I followed you to discover why you left." Elrohir was unsure what to say, now that he had found him, so he simply explained why he had followed him, not why they needed to talk.

"What did you wish to discuss?" Aragorn asked tiredly, keeping his gaze focused on the elf's face.

"I fear I owe you an apology," Elrohir started slowly. "It cannot have been easy to keep this knowledge to yourself for the eight years you have lived among us. I know you well enough to know that you do not lightly allow others to die when your knowledge could save them. Only for a greater cause would you stand aside, and I can think of no greater cause than the freedom of our entire world. I find great comfort in the thought that in a matter of only a few decades, Sauron's utter defeat will be realized. Though I would wish to spare lives wherever possible, I know well enough to realize that any changes now could affect events so that he prevails. I agree with you; we cannot allow that to come to pass, no matter the cost." The words were difficult for Elrohir to say, as he hated the thought that any lives would be sacrificed in the coming years, but he knew he had to say them.

Taking in a deep breath, Aragorn closed his eyes and slowly released the breath before opening them and looking back at Elrohir. "I am relieved to hear you say that, though no apology is necessary. I feared that I had driven a wedge between us that could not be overcome. It was a mistake to tell you as much as I did, but I wanted so badly to share this with someone. You are the only one in whom I have confided so much. I know what a burden I have placed on your shoulders, and I am sorry for that. I should not have given into the temptation."

Holding up a hand to halt the ranger's words, Elrohir shook his head. "Stop, Aragorn. You warned me that the knowledge would create a difficult burden. You gave me the choice to remain ignorant. I may not have known what you would say, but I am capable of accepting the consequences of my decisions. I swore to keep silent, and I will hold to that. I do not say it will be easy for me, but I know well that it has not been easy for you, either. I have seen a battle raging behind your eyes so many times as you struggle to decide whether you can influence events to happen differently or if you must remain in the shadows and allow them to happen as they will. I only hope that I have been accepted into your confidence enough that you will feel comfortable seeking me out in the future when you need someone to speak with. Adar taught us that a burden shared is a burden lightened. Will you allow me to share your burdens?" His voice was tentative as he finished, not sure what the man's reaction would be. With Elrohir's reaction to the knowledge Aragorn had shared last time, Elrohir would not blame the man if he chose not to confide anything else.

For a long moment, Aragorn stared at his brother, and Elrohir wondered what thoughts were passing through his mind.

Finally, Aragorn blinked and inclined his head toward Elrohir. "I do not know how much else I can say. There are things of which I cannot speak, but when I am able, and need someone with which to confer, yes, I will seek you out, Elrohir. I have always trusted your council in the past, and I will welcome it in times to come."

"Thank you," Elrohir said gratefully, clapping a hand on the man's shoulder in relief. He settled more comfortably back on the blanket and began rummaging through the bag sitting open near Aragorn. "Did you bring anything to eat? I noticed you missed the morning meal."

Waving his hand toward the bag, Aragorn replied with a wry grin. "Help yourself. Did you also miss the morning meal, that you are hungry so soon?"

Elrohir dug an apple out of the bag and bit into it before taking a slice of bread and slathering a layer of preserves on it, handing it to Aragorn. "I had no appetite this morning. Now eat. It does not appear that you have touched any of your food, and you seem to be in need of nourishment."

A smile crossed Aragorn's face at the familiarity of having Elrohir worry about how well he was taking care of himself. "If you insist, then who am I to refuse?" Taking the bread being offered, he reached in and took out a waterskin to accompany the food. "Here, I liberated some wine from the cellar for my repast. I would be glad to share it with you."

Elrohir accepted the offer with a grin. "Does Elladan know that you paid a visit to the cellar? I believe that while Erestor is away, it has fallen to him to maintain an accounting of the household stores." As he spoke, he reached into the bag and took out another apple, handing it to Aragorn. "Eat this." He paused a moment as Aragorn bit into the fruit before asking hesitantly. "May I ask you a question?"

Stilling his movement, Aragorn gazed at him contemplatively. Elrohir would not sound so hesitant for most questions. This must have to do with their recent disagreement, or with questions of the future that Elrohir did not think Aragorn would answer. "You may ask," he finally said. "I will decide only after I hear the question if I choose to answer it."

"Fair enough," Elrohir responded with a nod, gesturing for Aragorn to resume eating as he decided how to phrase his question. "While I realize that you cannot tell me all, I would know about life after Sauron. I wish to know the world for which these sacrifices must be made." Aragorn nodded encouragingly, waiting for a specific question, and deciding what he could say that would not pose a risk to that future. "From the few things you have said on this matter, I surmised that you were crowned king. Can you tell me if that is correct, at the least?"

An indrawn breath as Aragorn gazed off into the distance was the only sign that he was considering his response. "You were not wrong," he finally said carefully. "A time of peace reigns in our land. We have forged treaties with former foes, and renewed old alliances. We have had enough of war, and are doing all in our power to ensure that our children live in a world of peace. It has been difficult, re-building after the war, for there was much damage in those final weeks of battle, many deaths and devastated lands. Many of the crops for that year were lost, and the winter was harsh, but we survived, and in the intervening years, have managed to replace our stores and become a prosperous, peaceful land." Aragorn was careful to keep his words general, to avoid giving any specific information.

A gentle smile was affixed to Elrohir's face as he listened to Aragorn's words. "Then that is a future worth fighting for. I will do all in my power to help you bring it about."

Aragorn reached over and placed his hand on Elrohir's shoulder. "Thank you, my brother. You cannot know how much your support means to me. I do not know how long I will be here, or if I will ever see my home again, but I do not feel so alone now, knowing you will be by my side."

Elrohir rested his hand on Aragorn's. "I would not leave you without an ally, a brother to lean upon." He noticed that the man's fingers were quite cold, and only then realized that there was a chill in the air. Reaching over, he pulled the cloak more tightly about Aragorn's shoulders. "Why did you not say you were cold?"

A chuckle escaped Aragorn's lips. "I have been a ranger for a great many years, Elrohir. This is hardly cold enough to bother one used to living outside many months of the year." A wry grin twisted his lips. "Though I have to say that it is likely the cold is making my leg ache more than it might otherwise. Perhaps it is time to return home."

Nodding, Elrohir helped Aragorn gather up the blanket and pack, then pulled the man easily to his feet. Staggering slightly before he regained his balance, Aragorn grabbed Elrohir's arm. "Are you able to walk to where we left the horses?" Elrohir asked in concern.

"The walk will help loosen the muscles." Aragorn avoided answering the question directly, and began walking stiffly down the path. Noting how much more pronounced the limp was, Elrohir followed closely in case he needed assistance. Though the man had no difficulty reaching the horses, Elrohir did have to help Aragorn mount his steed for the return trip.

Once home and back in the warmth, with an ointment to warm and soothe the aching muscles, the pain and stiffness in Aragorn's leg melted away. Aragorn was only concerned that even after his leg had healed completely, he would always have issues with the cold, and certain movements. He had known other rangers who had sustained injuries of similar severity who had been susceptible to the cold, or certain weather conditions, and had to deal with pain for the rest of their lives. He swore to work with the healers and do whatever was necessary to see his leg healed completely.

Over the next month, he and Elrohir spent a great deal of time on the sparring field, or on horseback, trying to retrain his leg to assist the healing process. By the time Elrond and the rest of his patrol returned to the valley, Eradan was walking with only a slight limp. Arathorn returned in mid-December to spend the winter months in Imladris, and was pleased to see how well Eradan had healed. When he left again in early spring, Eradan was back at his side. Since it kept him away from Imladris for the return of Gandalf and Bilbo, Aragorn would not have had it any other way.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List