Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changing the Past  by Misty

Chapter 12

As Elrohir sat in the room with the sleeping man, his mind began piecing together many things that at the time had merely seemed odd, but taken together, convinced Elrohir that there was more to Eradan than they had ever suspected. From the moment Eradan awoke after saving Arathorn's life, he had known exactly who the twins were, never mistaking one for another. There were those who had known them for centuries who were not capable of that. Eradan's skills as a fighter and his knowledge had always seemed to far exceed his years. His insistence that Elladan and Elrohir take an active role in young Aragorn's life, his easy manner with the twins and all aspect of life in Imladris, and the recent delusions in which he referred to Elrond and Gilraen as his father and mother, added up to one unmistakable conclusion. This man was from the future, having lived a history that had now changed, a history in which he and Elrohir were brothers.

Before he could even begin to consider how he felt about that, Elrond and Elladan entered the room, and Elrohir pushed all other thoughts out of his mind. "He has a fever again." His eyes locked onto his father's, both of them once more in the role of healer.

"We may have missed some small pocket of infection," Elrond mused, crossing to the bed and placing a hand on Eradan's forehead. "I need to examine his leg." Elladan and Elrohir shifted Eradan slightly and pulled up the edge of the robe that patients in the healing ward wore to allow the healers easy access to their injuries. Once Eradan's leg was bared, Elrond frowned as he inspected the edges of the wound. "There is inflammation near his knee. It appears we did not completely eradicate the infection after all. We will have to reopen the wound and clean it out again, or risk it becoming as serious as it was at the start."

A wince crossed Elrohir's face as he heard his father's words. This would be a very painful experience for Eradan. "We will need to make sure he sleeps through the procedure."

Elladan crossed to the cabinet and began finding the ingredients for a tea that would fight the infection, and grabbed a sedative to add. Elrond began gathering what he would need to remove the stitches and wash out the wound once again while the eldest twin set about preparing the tea.

Sitting down beside Eradan, Elrohir reached out and gently shook the sleeping man's shoulder. They would have to wake him to have him drink the tea. "Eradan?"

With a sigh, Eradan slowly opened his eyes and stared blearily at the elf. "Elrohir?" he asked, bringing a hand up to rub the sleep from his eyes, a gesture that made him appear very young. "What is it? Where is Mithrandir?" He glanced around the room, looking for the wizard.

"He had to leave," Elrohir said. "Before he left, he asked me to tell you to hold onto hope." Eradan nodded slightly, indicating he knew what the message meant. Elrohir then explained what they would have to do to treat him.

Eradan closed his eyes and sagged back into his bed. "Do what you must." His voice was tired, defeated.

Walking over to them, Elladan held the cup of tea out for Eradan to take. "Here, this will help."

Opening his eyes again, Eradan reached for the cup. The twins helped raise his head enough to enable him to drink. Without comment, Eradan downed the entire cup of tea. Once the tea was gone, they lowered him back to the bed and he closed his eyes, waiting for the tea to take effect.

As soon as they were sure that Eradan would not wake during the procedure, Elrond and Elladan began. Elrohir sat by Eradan's bed, watching him for signs of pain or discomfort, and stilled the man if he began to move in reaction to the pain. At last they finished and placed a poultice over the wound. Elrohir wrapped a bandage around Eradan's leg as his father and brother cleaned up. Drawing the blanket back over Eradan's still form when he had finished, Elrohir simply stared at the man for a moment, his mind drifting back to what he had overheard earlier.

Standing abruptly, he turned to the others, his robe swirling about his feet with the movement. "Would you be able to stay with him?"

"Of course," Elladan said, staring at his brother with a confused expression on his face. "I had thought you planned to stay for a time as well, at least until he woke up."

"I will return shortly," Elrohir responded. "There is something I must do first." He forced any signs of the turmoil he felt from his expression, giving his brother a bland smile. Judging by Elladan's expression, he was not convinced, but did not seem inclined to question him about it now.

A gesture of assent from his brother had the younger twin heading quickly out the door. He needed to get away from the room for a short time, to clear his mind and think over all he had heard.

Fleeing the house, Elrohir took refuge in a secluded section of his mother's garden. It was this place to which he retreated when his mind and heart needed peace. Here he could almost feel his mother's presence, and often cast his mind back to the times when he was young and she would prepare a picnic in the gardens for Elladan, Elrond and himself. Collapsing onto the ground at the base of his favorite oak tree, he leaned his head back against the trunk and closed his eyes as his thoughts whirled through his head faster than he could grasp. It took a great deal of effort to bring his mind under control and begin to examine the situation in an orderly manner.

While he had waited for his father and brother to arrive to help treat Eradan, he had come to the realization that what he had overheard was true, and there was now no disputing that. For a time, all of the instances when Eradan had behaved a trifle oddly flashed through his mind. In the context of what he now knew, those quirks made much more sense. But if he accepted all that he had heard, what should he now do about it? It seemed that Eradan did not know why he was here, or if he would ever be able to return home. Though Elrohir wanted to corner the man and demand answers as to his purpose here, it seemed that he would get no answers on that front. But that brought to mind another question. Should he let Eradan know he had overheard them? The man had given Gandalf several reasons for not informing him and the others about Eradan's true nature. Most of the reasons did not strike Elrohir as urgent enough for him to hold his silence on the matter. But for the fact that Eradan considered others knowing of his presence here as dangerous to them all, he would go straight to the healing room and wait for the man to wake, then confront him with this new knowledge.

As he considered the matter, he could see how having someone from the future here could be quite dangerous indeed, especially if others knew of his presence. Even Gandalf had approached Eradan, asking if a particular course of action were the correct one. If others knew of this, they could also begin consulting the man on various decisions, rather than trusting their own hearts and minds. That could soon lead to disaster, especially as Eradan did not seem inclined to inform them as to the rightness of a decision. Though he had indicated to Gandalf that he had made the correct choice for some task, he had chastised the wizard for relaxing then, as if the Istar had thought the task already complete. Elrohir could easily see the trap that the wizard had fallen into, and saw why Eradan did not want anyone else to know who he was. Knowing that, Elrohir determined to keep the man's secret from all others, even his father and twin brother, difficult as it may be.

The question still remained, should he tell Eradan what he knew? Would it help relieve the man's burden to have someone in whom he could confide and speak freely, or would it add to his burden, knowing there was another who might come to him for guidance on the future? Elrohir pondered the question for a long time. Knowing what he did, he was unsure if he would be able to treat Eradan as he always had. True, he had recently come to accept the man as a brother, but that was a different sort of relationship than if the man had been raised from childhood as a brother of his. That was the relationship Eradan remembered, and Elrohir could not help wondering what his life would have been like, how things would have changed had young Aragorn truly been raised as his brother. A smile touched his lips as he thought of the child Aragorn. He did love both of Arathorn's children, and over the years, had become as something of a much older sibling to them. So perhaps his relationships with them and with Eradan would not have to change too drastically, though he could already feel his bonds of love and loyalty to all three of them strengthen with this new knowledge.

After a great deal of struggle and internal debate, Elrohir decided that he should hold his peace for now. Though he would not tell Eradan what he knew as yet, he would do all in his power to support and watch over this younger brother he had never known. The man was worn with his many concerns, and Elrohir would work to ease his burdens however he could. Decisions made, he arose with a lighter heart and looked up at the position of Anor. The sun was past its peak position in the sky, indicating that he had been out here longer than he had thought. The noon meal was long past, and the evening meal not long off. Elladan would be wondering where he was. Stretching to loosen the tenseness out of his muscles, he ambled back to the house, his mind still in awe at the situation that had unexpectedly presented itself to him.

When he entered the healing room, he saw Aragorn reading a book of poems to Eradan, who was now awake and half-sitting, half reclining in his bed. Elrohir stopped in the doorway, struck at the realization that the two before him were in truth two versions of the same person. The very thought was enough to throw him off-balance, and he held onto the doorframe for a moment before shaking his head and slowly entering the room. As he entered, he saw Elladan standing just outside the door to the balcony, enjoying the fresh breeze of the evening, but facing into the room to watch over the man in the bed and listening to the child read. A raised eyebrow and quizzical expression were all the response he gave as Elrohir approached. It was enough to convey his curiosity at Elrohir's abrupt departure earlier. Elrohir simply shook his head and raised one shoulder in a shrug. That was all the answer he was capable of at the moment. Crossing the room, he took up position opposite Eradan's bed, leaning casually against the wall and watching the ranger.

To Elrohir's eye, the injured man looked exhausted and pained, but he put up a front for the child, smiling and encouraging him in his reading. When Aragorn reached the end of the poem he was reading, Elrohir stepped forward. "Aragorn, that was well done, and I am sure Eradan appreciates you reading to him. I believe it is nearly time for the evening meal, however, and your mother may be expecting you."

"Very well." Aragorn placed a strip of cloth in the book and placed it on the bedside table. He looked back and forth between Eradan and Elrohir. "May I return later to say good night?"

"I would like that." Eradan gave the boy a faint smile that grew as the boy nodded, turned, and raced out of the room. "Did I ever have so much energy?" His question was rhetorical, and Elrohir could not help but chuckle, knowing that Eradan had once been the young boy who raced out of the room at the thought of food.

Approaching the bed, Elrohir gazed down at the man's wan face. "You appear to be in some pain. Would you like some willow bark tea before you sup?"

A long sigh escaped Eradan, and he nodded slightly. "I did not wish to worry Aragorn, but yes, a cup of willow bark tea before my meal would not be amiss." Elrohir looked up as Elladan walked past them to a table that had been set up with the necessary ingredients for the teas that Eradan might need. "Thank you, my friends, for your care." Eradan's voice was soft, tense from the pain, but his gratitude was genuine.

"Is that not what brothers do for each other?" Elrohir watched Eradan's face as he asked the question, and saw the pleasure that spread across the man's face at being called 'brother'. Elrohir helped Eradan to drink the tea when Elladan brought it over, and the three spent the remainder of the evening speaking quietly, or sitting in silence when the effort of speaking seemed too much for the weary man.

As Eradan began to heal from his injuries, Elrohir was rarely far from his bedside. While the man was not allowed to venture from his bed for nearly another week, Elrond was pleased at the progress he saw in the ranger. The infection did not return as strongly as it had been, and was defeated quickly. The wound in Eradan's leg was once again stitched up, and as the days progressed, the edges of the gash began to close, and seemed to be healing without problem. Sitting upright and moving around became easier for Eradan as his ribs mended, and his other injuries faded. Elrohir was greatly relieved to see the return of the man's good humor. As his exhaustion faded and his pain eased, he once again began to banter with the twins and with Aragorn and Lothrin. But even in his banter, Elrohir could see a distraction in the man, something that he dwelt long upon in his thoughts, but would not share with another. Though he wanted to ask what it was that worried him, Elrohir held his tongue and merely watched, doing what he could to help, and supporting him as best he could with his presence.

Nearly a month after his return to Imladris, Eradan slowly made his way to the balcony of his room, leaning heavily on a stout walking stick before sitting gingerly on a bench overlooking the valley. The danger of losing his leg to infection was now long past, and the wound had begun to heal, but his leg would not yet bear his weight. It would be some time before he would be able to walk without the assistance of the walking stick, and Elrond could give him no guarantees that he would ever again walk without a limp. But this day, his mind was not on his injuries. Eradan leaned forward, resting his crossed arms on the balcony railing then lowering his head to rest his chin atop his arms. His gaze was distant as he stared out over the valley, his thoughts far from the view before him.

It was now mid-April, which meant that Gandalf, Bilbo and the dwarves would soon be setting out on their journey to Smaug's lair. His mind had been pre-occupied with this thought ever since his conversation with the wizard. While he would not dare interfere in the events of the quest, there were a few concerns on his mind.

The most immediate concern was whether it would matter if Aragorn went by his true name. In the original history, Bilbo and the dwarves were introduced to Estel, Elrond's foster son. Would anything change if they were introduced to Aragorn, next in line to be Chieftain of the Dúnedain? Eradan trusted Bilbo and all thirteen dwarves not to have any ill intentions toward Aragorn, Arathorn, or any of them, but if the names were mentioned in passing to those who were less scrupulous, things could go very ill indeed. Perhaps it would be better if Aragorn were to be given another name for when company came. A small smile tugged at Eradan's lips. This would be the first in a very long list of names he would accumulate throughout his life. That was not a decision he could make on his own, though, so he put the thought aside until he could broach the topic with Elrond and Gilraen. Growing uncomfortable, he re-situated himself so that his back was resting against one of the balcony posts and his leg stretched out before him. Leaning his head back, he closed his eyes and turned his concentration inward once again.

His second concern was of another nature entirely. Rather than trying to ensure that history ran its proper course, he was now considering deliberately changing events. These thoughts had swirled through his mind, all the arguments for and against a course of action that would change all of history. Bilbo and Gandalf would be returning from their adventures approximately a year from now, May first of next year, to be precise, with a certain trinket in Bilbo's possession. What would happen if he were to ask Bilbo for the Ring, explaining its importance, and take it to Mordor himself? After the Battle of Five Armies, the number of orcs in the area would be severely diminished. Whether he chose to journey through the High Pass and venture past Lothlórien, or to go through the Gap of Rohan and pass near Isengard, the number of enemies looking for the Ring would be nearly nonexistent. If Saruman were not informed that the Ring had been found, he would not be on alert, and at this particular time, he had not started breeding his Urk-hai, so there would be no concern on that quarter. Passing through Lothlórien might not be the best course of action, as Eradan had no reason to expect their loyalty, but he might be able to travel down the Anduin between Lothlórien and the southern reaches of Mirkwood. Since the White Council would soon be chasing Sauron out of Dol Guldur, that fortress would be unoccupied for a time. Though, since Saruman was still searching the Gladden Fields, perhaps he should best avoid that path.

It seemed that the most treacherous portion of the journey would be getting into Mordor and through that desolate land to Orodruin. Unfortunately, that was the one part he could not quite find a way through. If he were to follow Frodo's steps and go up the stairs of Cirith Ungol, he would find himself in Shelob's lair. Having fought some of the Mirkwood spiders was one thing, but Shelob was another enemy altogether. However, expecting to find her, he might be able to elude or defeat her. If he were able to defeat Shelob and escape her lair, then he would have to work his way past the tower of Cirith Ungol, and across the broad plains before the fiery mountain of Orodruin, remaining hidden from the orcs and Sauron the entire time. Granted, Sauron would still be establishing his presence and secretly building his forces, but he would not be at his peak strength yet. Barad-dur would not even begin to be rebuilt for ten years after Sauron's return to Mordor. The enemies would surely be easier to avoid, being less numerous and more scattered than when Frodo and Sam made the same journey.

There was surely no better time to attempt to destroy the Ring than next year. Eradan could not help but think of all the pain, death and misery that would be avoided if he were to achieve his goals. Frodo would never have to suffer such a burden that he was permanently scarred by his experiences. Halbarad, Théoden and all those who fell in the battles to save Arda from Sauron's rule would not have to die. So much pain and suffering would be avoided if he did this thing. It was true that he would likely perish in the end, not having the eagles nearby to swoop down to his rescue, but that would be a small price to pay.

All of those reasons tempted him to act, to coax the Ring from Bilbo and make the journey in the relative peace that would soon settle over the land. But there were other thoughts that prompted him to caution, to hold his tongue and let events happen as they did before. Foremost among those thoughts was the risk of his failure. He knew that Frodo succeeded on his quest, there was nothing to say he would be able to do the same. If he fell along the way, the Ring would either be lost again, or fall into enemy hands. If, through his actions, Sauron or even Saruman were to gain the Ring…the consequences to all of Arda did not even bear thinking about. Could he take that chance? Given a guarantee of success at a future date, did he dare take a chance of his failure? Even if he were to trust Gandalf with all that he knew, and the two were to embark on this together, there was no way of knowing whether they could succeed. Then there was the Ring to consider. Frodo had shown himself remarkably immune to the call of the thing, having carried it the entire way to Mount Doom before being overtaken by it. A frown crossed Eradan's face as he remembered his own ancestor, Isildur. Men did not appear to be able to hold out against the Ring's evil nearly as long as did hobbits. If Eradan were to take the Ring, there was no way of knowing if he would be able to carry it all the way to Mordor, or if he would fall to its influence. That would surely need to be considered into his calculations. He would never have hurt Frodo to take the Ring, but if it were already in his possession, he truly did not know what he would be capable of doing.

Eradan sighed and shifted on the bench, trying to get more comfortable. Perhaps he would be better off inside, on a cushioned seat, but he did not want to make the effort to move just yet. It might interrupt his thoughts. Settling back again, he considered what might happen, or not happen if he were able to succeed at the task, beyond all hope. There would have been no cooperation between Rohan and Gondor to save their peoples. The council in Minas Tirith would likely reject Arathorn's claim to the throne, though Ecthelion might be more sympathetic to the claim than Denethor. Without the need to join together and save Minas Tirith, there might not be an easy way for Arathorn's line to reclaim the throne and reunite the northern and southern kingdoms. The time of peace that had begun when Aragorn was crowned as Elessar, the Elfstone and Envinyatar, the Renewer, might never come to pass. Then, if Arathorn chose to move his family out of Imladris, either to Minas Tirith, or to a village of the Dúnedain, Aragorn and Arwen might never meet.

Feeling a headache coming on, Eradan reached up to rub at the furrow between his eyes. How could he possibly know the full ramifications of his actions? And if he could not predict how events would unfold, would that not then indicate that he should not attempt to alter history as he knew it? How he longed to confide in someone, to tell them all that he knew and to seek the wisdom of one older and wiser than he. But he could not burden any other with the knowledge he held, nor ask them to consider the problems with which he now wrestled.

"Eradan? Are you well?" A voice intruded into his musings, and Eradan opened his eyes, sitting abruptly upright. He blinked as he fought to gain control of his wandering thoughts.

"Elrohir?" Eradan focused his gaze on the elf standing above him with a look of concern on his face. He looked around at the balcony, then back into his room, where the door now stood open. "Forgive me, I did not hear you enter."

"Your thoughts seemed far from this place." Elrohir leaned back against the railing of the balcony and watched the man. "Would you care to tell me what so occupied your mind?"

Holding Elrohir's gaze for a long moment, Eradan decided that he should at least broach the topic of Aragorn's name. "I believe I would like to speak with your father and Gilraen. I have something to discuss with them."

Elrohir's eyebrows rose in surprise at Eradan's response. "Would you like me to gather them in the library now?" He leaned forward slightly, his curiosity clear on his face.

"No, after dinner will be soon enough." Eradan shifted his body so that he was sitting on the edge of the bench, and slowly bent and straightened his leg a few times, working out the stiffness that had set in as he sat on the cool stone bench. A wince crossed his face as the movement pulled at the still healing muscles. Elrohir gestured toward his leg, asking if he needed any help. Eradan shook his head. "I will be well. Is there a reason you sought me out in my rooms?"

Seeming surprised, Elrohir answered as if he had forgotten his original reason for seeking Eradan. "Yes, I do have a reason. Baran has just arrived."

"Baran?" Eradan's expression was anxious, nearly panicked. "Why is he here? What has happened?" Forgetting his injury, he tried to stand, hissing in pain as his leg gave out beneath him. A strong grip on his arm kept him from falling, helping to ease him back down onto the bench.

"Do not fear, Arathorn is well," Elrohir assured the man, crouching down in front of him, holding firmly to his arm. "Baran has arrived with a message. Adar, Glorfindel and Elladan are waiting in Adar's office. I was sent to retrieve you." He placed both hands on Eradan's shoulders and supported the ranger as he hunched over, clutching his leg in his pain. "Take a deep breath and then let it out slowly," Elrohir advised, doing what he could to help Eradan as the pain slowly eased. When Eradan finally sat back with a deep shuddering breath, Elrohir watched his eyes intently. "Better now?" A slow nod was Eradan's only response. "Will you be able to walk down the hallway? If not, I could have Baran visit you here after the meeting. I know he will want to see you."

"Give me a moment, and I will be able to walk," Eradan's voice was strained. "I should not have tried to stand in that manner."

"I will agree that it was not one of your better ideas," Elrohir said, his voice bland, and a smile twitching at the corners of his mouth.

Giving him an irritated frown, Eradan uttered an insult under his breath, knowing full well that Elrohir would hear him. Extending a hand, he looked at the elf that now stood before him. "Help me to my feet, if you would be so kind."

Elrohir hid his grin, and reached out to clasp Eradan's hand, tugging him gently to his feet. Reaching over and grabbing the walking stick where it leaned against the railing, he handed it to the wobbly man. He kept a firm grip on the ranger until Eradan was steady on his feet, then led the way slowly out of the room.

Baran came to his feet when Eradan entered the room, limping and leaning heavily on his walking stick. Elrohir hovered just behind him, ready to help if any aid were needed.

"Eradan, it is good to see you walking!" There was genuine relief in Baran's voice at seeing the younger ranger on his feet, and a wide smile spread across his face. Moving quickly, Baran helped Eradan to a seat in the library.

Smiling with relief at being off of his leg again, Eradan smiled back up at Baran. "So what brings you here? How is Arathorn?"

"He is well." Baran took a seat near the other man as Elrond, Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir all chose seats for themselves. "I do have something to report, but I felt that part of our Chieftain's reasoning for sending me here was to check how you were healing. We all have wondered if you were well, but he has been more worried than most."

"You will be able to report that I am doing well and should be able to return to the next patrol." Eradan shot a sidelong glance toward Elrond to see the slight glower he had expected. "As soon as my healer gives me leave, that is," he amended his statement. Elrond nodded in approval, his frown fading as he turned to look at the other ranger.

Turning the attention to other matters, Elrond addressed Baran. "Can you now tell us what message you were sent to deliver?"

Taking a deep breath, Baran turned to face the others. "Yes, my lord. We have been hearing disturbing reports of late. It would appear that there are several trolls waylaying travelers not far from here. The reports have been scattered, and we are not sure of their numbers, but people are afraid to travel the roads in the woods to the west. Arathorn will divert our patrol in that direction to search for them and determine the best way to make the roads safe again. Several farmsteads have reported the loss of livestock to these trolls, though luckily we have yet to hear reports that they have taken people."

"That will likely not last," Elrohir murmured softly, rubbing his chin with his fingers. "Do you know from whence they have come?"

"Reports are that they have come down from the mountains, but again, what we have heard is not entirely reliable. People say different things about them. No one seems to know where they can be found. Trolls can cover great distances when they wish. We intend to start with the farms that have reported missing livestock and track them to their lair. Once we see how many there are, we will determine what to do." Baran glanced back and forth between the various elf lords and Eradan. "Arathorn thought you should know that there is a new danger to travelers in this region. They are beyond the reaches of the Imladris guards, but if you have people traveling out further, or are expecting travelers, they may run into this trouble."

A frown curved Elrond's lips downward as he brought a hand up to his chin. "I do not like the idea of these trolls causing more trouble for our neighbors. Would it help if we were to send out patrols of our own, aid you in tracking down these troublesome creatures?"

A relieved look crossed Baran's face. "Yes, my lord, that would be appreciated. Anyone you care to send would be greatly welcomed."

Elrond looked over to Glorfindel, who gave him a slight nod, indicating that he was already considering which of their people to send to help the rangers. Turning back to Baran, Elrond gestured with his hand. "We will need all of the information you currently have, no matter how reliable or unreliable it may be."

"Of course, my lord," Baran said, inclining his head in respect. Leaning forward in his chair, he proceeded to relate every bit of intelligence the rangers had been able to gather pertaining to the trolls. Every now and then, Glorfindel, Elrond or one of the twins would ask questions or seek to further clarify a point. Eradan, however, remained silent, merely observing the others and listening to all that was said.

Once all of the necessary information had been imparted and discussed, they took a break for dinner. Elrohir spend the meal surreptitiously watching Eradan. There was something on the man's mind tonight. When Elrohir had interrupted his thoughts earlier, it had taken a long moment for Eradan to focus on the elf again. There had been indecision in his eyes, an internal struggle of some sort. Elrohir's curiosity had been aroused when the man mentioned that he wanted to speak to both Elrond and Gilraen. Eradan's silence in the library during Baran's report had been quite uncharacteristic. He usually felt comfortable enough to share his opinions and ask insightful questions. It had occurred to Elrohir that Eradan held his tongue because he knew more than he could say about the trolls, and preferred not to influence the outcome. With that thought, he had begun carefully watching Eradan's face, trying to judge from his expression what he knew, what would be the best decision for them to make. Should he and Elladan join with the rangers, form a patrol of their own from the Imladris elves, or leave the rangers to find the trolls on their own? Eradan's expression gave no clue as to the 'correct' course of action, leaving Elrohir more confused than he normally would have been in such a situation. He was accustomed to making a decision and acting on it. Now, he found himself unable to determine the correct choice.

After the meeting, Elrohir shook his head at himself. It seemed that he had fallen into the same trap as Mithrandir. Knowing that Eradan had already lived through this time and knew how events would play out, he had turned to the ranger to make his choices for him. He could not live his life in that manner, as Eradan had pointed out to the wizard. Elrohir would simply have to make the choice that he would have if he had not found out Eradan's secret. If his father and Glorfindel approved, Elrohir decided that he would join with the rangers on their patrol to hunt down the trolls. They were a threat that must be dealt with, and he meant to do his part.

Glorfindel, Elladan and Baran took their leave of the others after dinner to go over the maps and make plans for the patrols to join with the rangers. Elrohir chose to join Elrond, Eradan, and Gilraen in Elrond's study to hear what Eradan had to say.

Once everyone had settled into their seats with a glass of wine in hand, Elrond glanced over at Eradan. The man was reclining back in his cushioned chair with his leg stretched out before him, and the walking stick leaning against the arm of the chair for easy access. At the moment, Eradan was swirling the deep red liquid in his glass, watching the movement as if it held answers he needed.

"Eradan?" At the question, the man looked up to meet Elrond's gaze. "Are you ready to share with us your reason for requesting this meeting?" Elrond's curiosity was clear in his voice as he watched the ranger.

"Yes," Eradan said slowly, taking a sip of the wine as he considered how to broach the topic. Placing the wineglass on a nearby table, he straightened up in his chair and glanced back and forth between Gilraen and Elrond. "It has occurred to me that we could be taking further measures to protect the children."

"What measures?" Gilraen interrupted, leaning forward in her chair at the words. "Imladris is a place of peace and safety. They are in no danger here."

Raising a hand to halt her words, Eradan studied her face, then Elrond's as he spoke. "It is true that there are none here who would wish harm to either of the children, but Imladris is not as isolated as the other elven realms. Any in need of help, aid or peace are welcomed here. There have been few visitors to this place since our arrival, but that is not likely to remain true the entire time the children are here. They have been brought here for their safety, as it would be dangerous for many to know of their location, correct?" Receiving acknowledgment from the others, he continued. "Then would they not be safer if future visitors were kept from knowing about them?"

A frown crossed Elrond's face. "How would you propose we do this? If we have visitors for an extended time, it is impractical to keep the children away from them the entire time."

"I realize this." A small smile curved Eradan's lips as he waved a hand in the direction of the children's rooms. "Those two are too curious not to seek out new visitors. No, my suggestion is a little different. The danger comes not in the visitors seeing them, but in discovering their identities. Lothrin is not an uncommon name among the Dúnedain, but Aragorn is a name reserved only for the line of kings. My suggestion is that while we have visitors, Aragorn go by another name." Looking back and forth between Elrond and Gilraen, Eradan tried to read their inscrutable expressions as they thought over his words. He hurried to fill in the sudden silence. "It is not that I do not trust those who would seek out your protection, my Lord, but if the name were to fall from their lips when they spoke to the wrong person, it could place the children in jeopardy. I vowed to protect them in any way that I could. I see this as one of those ways, and a rather simple precaution to take."

Elrohir spoke up softly, studying Eradan's face as he did so. "What name would you suggest? Estel?" A shocked look flickered across Eradan's face, quickly suppressed as he turned an appraising look upon the younger twin.

"Estel?" Elrond's tone was questioning, and slightly amused. "Wherever did you come up with that name, Elrohir?"

Turning, Elrohir met the amused look in his father's eye, and the quizzical look on his face. Elrohir's comment had been intended to gauge Eradan's reaction, and he had not thought out what reason there might be for naming a child Estel. He floundered for a moment before stumbling on a possible explanation, weak though he thought it sounded. "Is not each new generation the hope of their people?"

Gilraen could not help but smile as she spoke up. "That may be true, but do you honestly think Aragorn will accept that name?" She shook her head and leaned back more comfortably in her chair. Elrohir's suggestion seemed to have broken her out of her thoughts and made her more comfortable with the idea. "I think it is a good thing that you have not had the responsibility of naming any children, Elrohir." She seemed amused at the very thought.

"No, I was thinking of something simpler." Eradan turned his gaze away from Elrohir and focused on Elrond and Gilraen. "It must be something that Lothrin will remember to use among visitors. Giving him an entirely new name is not likely to work for Lothrin. However, do you remember what she called him as she was learning to speak?"

"It was Ari," Gilraen remembered. "She was unable to pronounce his full name." She fell silent for a moment as she pondered the idea. "We would have to explain to Aragorn why we were doing such a thing, but if we were to start referring to him as Ari, Lothrin would soon follow suit." Shaking her head suddenly, she looked back at the others. "Do you truly think such a precaution necessary?" The fingers of her right hand tapped unconsciously against her leg, betraying her agitation at the thought that her children could be in any danger, even here in the protected realm of the elves.

"Perhaps not." Eradan turned his hand over, palm up, in a gesture of entreaty. "But it can do no harm, surely, and provides just that extra layer of protection for them. May we at least speak with Aragorn about this and see if he will agree to allow it?"

Gilraen fell silent again, and glanced over at Elrond. "What do you think of this, Lord Elrond? Do you agree with Eradan?" The decision was hers, but she seemed to want to know what the elf lord thought about the idea.

Elrond clasped his hands together in front of him and tapped his lips before speaking. "I think it is not an unreasonable precaution. There have been few visitors here in the time that you have been living here, yes, but that is not always the case. Imladris is known as a place of refuge and healing. It is not unheard of for strangers in need to find their way here. We refuse none, unless it is clear that they have ill intentions. One could possibly arrive here, truly seeking our aid and discover something that he should not. Whether he then intended harm or not, if the wrong words were spoken to the wrong person, yes, the children could be placed in danger. I see this as a wise precaution to take." He paused in thought for a moment. "What do you think Arathorn will think of this?"

A soft sigh escaped Gilraen as she considered Arathorn's response. "The children's safety is paramount to him. He will consider this a simple measure to take, one that could save their lives." Decision made, she straightened in her seat. "Yes, we should bring Aragorn in and explain to him our reasoning on this."

Elrohir knew it was growing late in the evening, but it was not quite time for the children to go to bed. "Would you like me to fetch him now?"

Gilraen gave him a decisive nod. "I would prefer to explain this to him now, so that we may start in the morning. Lothrin will need to hear all of us referring to Aragorn as Ari for a short while before she begins to follow suit."

Standing, Elrohir gave her and his father a quick bow, then left the room to seek out Aragorn. Finding the child reading a bedtime story to his sister, he waited until Aragorn seemed to reach a stopping point and looked up at Elrohir. Since it was not uncommon for one of his 'brothers' to join them for their bedtime rituals, Aragorn smiled up at the elf in the doorway. "Did you come to read a little bit?"

"Not tonight." Elrohir entered the room and leaned against the bedpost. "If you have read enough, would you care to join me and a few others? There is something we would like to discuss with you."

"With me?" Aragorn asked in amazement. He was never brought in to 'discuss' things unless he had been misbehaving. "I'm not in trouble, am I?"

A grin of recognition swept across Elrohir's face. That would have been his response as a child as well. "No, you are in no trouble. We merely wish to speak with you."

After studying the elf's face for reassurance, he nodded and turned back to Lothrin. He tucked her in and kissed her forehead before saying goodnight, allowing Elrohir to do the same. They left a small lantern burning near her bed so that her room would not be too dark, then Elrohir led Aragorn to the room where Eradan, Elrond and Gilraen awaited them. Aragorn gulped upon seeing who was in the room, and glanced at his mother to be sure that he was not in trouble. She gestured for him to take a seat next to her.

Aragorn glanced nervously around the room and then moved to sit next to his mother. Gilraen turned to face him, directing his attention to her, trying to ease his nervousness. "Do not worry, Aragorn." She smiled at him, knowing what would be going through his mind. "You are not in any trouble. But we do have something we wish to discuss with you." She paused for a moment to decide how to broach the subject. "Do you know why we are living in Imladris rather than a village of the Dúnedain?"

Aragorn's brow creased as he frowned in confusion. "Adar said we were safe here." He looked back and forth between the others. "Is that not why?"

Gilraen gave him a reassuring smile. "Yes, we are safer here than we would be elsewhere. Your father, you and Lothrin are from the line of kings of the Dúnedain. Do you know what that means?"

Aragorn was silent for a moment. This was something he had known, but never truly considered. For the first time, he tried to determine where he fit in with all of the history lessons he had learned from his father, Elrond and Erestor. "It means that if Arnor had not been destroyed, Ada would be king?" His voice was hesitant as he began to consider what that might mean. Gilraen let him consider that for a time before speaking again.

"Yes, and it means that your father, and you after him, have a claim to Gondor's throne." At Aragorn's confused look, Gilraen shook her head once. "But that is not truly the reason we have called you here. It also means that there are those in the world beyond Imladris who…would wish harm upon you and your sister for no other reason than who your ancestors were. You are protected here, hidden away from the rest of the world so that you and Lothrin can grow up in safety and peace. However, if others were to know of your existence here, you might be in danger." Gilraen's face clouded as she watched this new knowledge sink into her son's mind. He had never before considered that anyone would want to harm him or his sister. "I do not want you to start worrying about your safety. There are many here who would do anything necessary to protect you both. You are safe here." She spoke firmly, reassuring Aragorn that he had no reason to fear in this protected place. "I only tell you this now because Eradan has thought of a way to add to your protection." Waiting until Aragorn met her gaze, she continued. "Your name is only given to one of the line of kings, and it may perhaps be better if any visitors to the valley did not learn that name."

Aragorn shook his head, confused again. "What do you mean?" He grasped the armrests of his chair, his knuckles white with tension.

"It might be better if you went by another name while there are visitors to Imladris," Eradan put in, trying to take some of the burden off of Gilraen. He had hated to suggest this course of action, knowing that it would mean explaining a few harsh realities of his life to Aragorn at a very early age. However, if this meant keeping the children safe, that was something they would all just have to live with. "In order for Lothrin to become accustomed to calling you by another name, we would have to start soon, and simply refer to you by this other name at all times."

A frown crossed Aragorn's face. "Call me another name? What name?" He did not seem as if he liked the idea much, not that the others could blame him for such feelings.

"Would Ari be acceptable?" Gilraen asked, her gaze fixed on her son's face. "You did not seem to mind so much when Lothrin called you this when she was younger. And she already associates this name with you, so it would not be difficult for her to start using it again." When Aragorn remained silent for a moment, Gilraen reached out and touched his cheek. "Please tell me what you are thinking."

"This will keep Lothrin safe?" His eyes were unsure as he met his mother's gaze. When she nodded, the uncertainty faded, to be replaced by determination. "Then I will do it." He shrugged slightly. "It should not be too hard to remember." He tried to grin, though his effort was less than successful. "As long as you remember what to yell when I get in trouble."

Gilraen chuckled and draped her arm around Aragorn's shoulders, pulling him against her, though the armrests of the chairs interfered somewhat. Feeling his head come to rest atop her shoulder, she squeezed him tighter. "My brave boy," she whispered, her pride clear in her voice.

Trying to lighten Aragorn's spirits, Eradan spoke up. "Now you have a nickname, like 'Dan and 'Ro."

With a faint grin, Aragorn turned to look at Elrohir, then back to Eradan. "I didn't think of that." With a slightly confused expression, he looked over at Elrohir. "Why do you and Elladan have nicknames? I have never met another elf who does."

It was Eradan who answered the question before Elrohir could speak. "It is true that elves do not generally shorten their names, but it is not uncommon among the race of men. Elladan and Elrohir spend much of their time among men, and it was the children of the Dúnedain who gave them these names long ago. I suppose they simply grew used to being called these names and in time, adopted them for each other."

"Every time we use them, we are reminded of those who so named us," Elrohir said with a fond smile on his face. "Though I would not recommend trying to do the same with Glorfindel or my father."

A shocked look crossed Aragorn's face at the very thought of trying to refer to Lord Elrond or Lord Glorfindel with a nickname. The look on his face caused the others to chuckle.

With a smile, Gilraen looked down at her son. "On that note, I believe it is time for bed." Standing, she tugged on Aragorn's hand. "Tell the others good night."

Aragorn's good night was more subdued than normal, and after they returned the sentiment, he followed his mother out of the room without another word.

With a sigh, Eradan leaned back deeper into his chair. "I wish that it had not been necessary to lay that burden upon him at such an early age. But I do not think he would have agreed to do it had he not been told the truth." He rubbed a hand over his face and then back through his hair, not waiting for a response from either Elrond or Elrohir before grabbing his walking stick and pushing himself clumsily to his feet. "And if you will excuse me, I believe I will also retire for the evening." Barely waiting for their responses, he made his slow way out of the room and down the hallway to his own chambers.

Elrohir sat in the library for a time with Elrond, neither one moving to break the silence. After awhile, Elrohir placed his empty wineglass on a table, then said goodnight to his father before leaving the room. As he walked past Eradan's room, he heard a crashing sound, and stopped. When his gentle tapping on the door received no response, he slowly pushed the door open and peered in. At the sight that met his eyes, he stepped inside and quietly closed the door behind him. Eradan was sitting on the edge of his bed, elbows resting on his knees, shoulders slumped and his head hanging in apparent defeat. Glancing around the room, Elrohir saw the probable source of the crash he had heard. A chair lay upon its side, the walking stick resting on the floor nearby. Looking back to where Eradan sat, it seemed that the man would have had to throw the walking stick for it to end up where it now rested, for he surely could not have walked back across the room without it.

"Eradan?" Elrohir hesitated near the doorway before stepping further into the room. "Is all well?" He nearly cringed at the question, for it was obvious that all was not well, but he had to find some way of getting the man to talk. Raising his head and looking over at his visitor, Eradan raised an eyebrow in a gesture that Elrohir suddenly recognized as an expression learned from his father.

"Well?" The ranger straightened up and crossed his arms over his chest, turning to face the doorway. "No, I would say that all is definitely not well, Elrohir."

Without waiting for an invitation, the half-elf crossed the room, righted the fallen chair and sat down upon it, facing Eradan. "Why do you say that?" His voice was bland but encouraging, as he tried to discover what was on the man's mind.

"I lied." Eradan's statement was uttered matter-of-factly, and yet gave no hint as to what he referred.

"What did you lie about, and to whom?" Elrohir felt his breathing quicken at the thought that Eradan might finally be ready to tell him the secret he had hidden for the last eight years.

"I lied to you, your father, Lady Gilraen, and even to myself." Eradan shook his head abruptly, a bitter expression twisting his features. At the confused look on Elrohir's face, he elaborated. "I said it could do no harm to give Aragorn another name for his protection. His manner in that room proved the lie." Eradan braced his hands against the mattress as if to push himself to his feet, but seemed to think better of it and slumped down instead, his hands falling loosely into his lap.

Elrohir had seen his friend in many situations over the past few years. He knew that when Eradan was agitated or worried, he preferred to pace, or stand and look out over the terrain as he thought. The injuries he had sustained must surely grate on his nerves at times like this. "You suggested it because you thought it would protect him. In that, you may be correct. Do not fault yourself for that."

Eradan looked out toward the balcony, away from Elrohir as he spoke. "He has always known that the world beyond this valley was a dangerous one. The fear his mother feels every time his father rides off has shown him this. Aragorn has always been a perceptive child. I fear he sees more than most suspect. It would not surprise me to discover that even now, he still has the occasional nightmare from his own encounter with orcs at the age of two." A sweep of his hand toward his leg punctuated his next words. "You saw the fear in him when he saw my injuries as clearly as I did. He feared both for my life and for his father, still out on patrol, fighting the monsters that nearly killed me. No, Aragorn has never had the illusion that this world was a safe place. And yet…" Eradan sighed and turned to meet Elrohir's eyes. "Even with all of that, he had never considered that he and his sister might be targeted. He still believed in the sanctity and safety of this hidden valley. I stripped that belief from him tonight. No, my friend, I have done him a disservice this night."

Elrohir crossed his arms and raised a skeptical eyebrow. "Are you not overstating things a bit? Your ideas were sound, or we would not have all agreed with you. They were brought here to be hidden away, to be kept safe. It is true that Aragorn's name is distinctive, and that visitors could easily discover it and carry that knowledge away from here. Is it truly an evil that he will now regard visitors with more caution than before? That caution could save his life."

"Caution is one thing, suspicion another," Eradan retorted. "Elrohir, he is a child, barely ten years old! There is time for him to learn caution as he grows older. Should he not have this time to simply be a child, to enjoy his life and worry about things like safety and enemies out to destroy his family at a later time?"

"A worthy idea, perhaps," Elrohir leaned forward, "but a bit misplaced. If he were any other human child, what would his life be like? Too many villages live under the constant threat of attack from orcs, trolls and other dark creatures, not to mention the dangers from other men such as raiders and slavers. Even creatures of the wild pose a danger if a child strays too far from his home. As you said, this is a dangerous world, and few are as protected as Aragorn and Lothrin have been." Elrohir let out a soft sigh and slumped back into his chair, his voice softening. "I, too, wish that the children could be raised in a time of peace, where danger does not lurk around every bend. But that is not the world we live in. Aragorn knows that already, and we will all be here to help him through any difficulty he may have. You have not single-handedly destroyed his belief in a world of absolute safety, so I would appreciate it if you would stop beating yourself over this." Elrohir's eyes narrowed as he stared at the man. "The orcs have already done a rather thorough job of that for now, don't you agree?"

Eradan could not help the surprised bark of laughter that escaped him. Throughout his life, it had ever been his brothers who pulled him out of the depths of self-pity and despair. They usually did it in exactly this manner, pointing out the flaws in his reasoning and pushing him to see beyond himself. With a sigh, he relaxed the tense posture he had acquired as Elrohir had been speaking. Slipping easily back into the relationship he had always had with his brothers, Eradan replied without thinking. "You are correct, as always, Elrohir. I bow to your superior wisdom." He sketched a short bow as best he could while still sitting on the edge of the bed. His playful response surprised a grin out of Elrohir, and Eradan returned it freely before he maneuvered himself more fully on the bed, stretching his leg out before him, and leaning back against the mound of pillows at the head of his bed. "I have missed this," he mused quietly.

"Missed what?" Elrohir asked with a chuckle. "Having someone lecture you? If you simply tell my father of this lack in your life, I feel sure he would oblige you."

Eradan laughed more fully than he had in a long time. "I am sure he would, but that is not exactly what I meant. I missed…" he stopped in mid-sentence, realizing he could not finish as intended. He had started to say that he missed having a brother around to talk sense into him; he simply missed his brothers. During this discussion, he realized that Elrohir was truly treating him as a brother, as he would treat Elladan. While this was the relationship that he as Estel had always had with the twins, it was the first time either of them had treated Eradan in quite this way. Thinking back to the recent meeting in Elrond's office, a wild hope lit Aragorn's heart and he stared intently at Elrohir as he asked a question. "Why did you suggest the name Estel in your father's office?"

Blinking at the abrupt change in subject, Elrohir paused a moment, wondering what to say. Should he tell Eradan what he knew? "It seemed appropriate," he finally commented, taking care with his answer.

"And there was no other reason?" Eradan pressed, shifting his body slightly so that he could face Elrohir more fully.

"What other reason should I have?" Elrohir asked, watching the man's face, seeing the play of emotions, hope, caution and anticipation flicker across his features.

"None, I suppose." Eradan looked away, easing back from the subject. "I merely wondered how you chose that name, as it is not a common one among the Dúnedain."

"I would imagine I heard it somewhere." Elrohir kept his voice light, watching Eradan. "You did not finish your sentence earlier. What was it that you miss?"

Eradan looked back to meet Elrohir's eyes for a long moment before he quietly answered. "I miss feeling as part of a family."

Holding his gaze, Elrohir saw all the loneliness and pain that Eradan had chosen to let him see. Elrohir did not protest that he, Elladan and Arathorn's family were his family. He knew all too well that there was a barrier between Eradan and all those around him. The barrier that isolated him was the secret he had kept for all these years. Would it do more harm or good to let Eradan know that he had discovered his secret? If it would drop the barrier between them and help to ease the man's loneliness, Elrohir knew he had to take the chance.

"Aragorn." His voice was soft, but it carried clearly to the man on the bed.

A puzzled look crossed Eradan's face. "What about Aragorn?"

Giving the man a gentle smile, Elrohir rose from his chair and moved to sit on the edge of Eradan's bed, facing the man. "Aragorn. Estel, I know who you truly are. There is no need to continue pretending with me, my brother."

The ranger's eyes widened with surprise and a wild hope as he abruptly leaned forward and grasped Elrohir's shoulders. "Elrohir!" His voice was excited and his face was bright with joy. "How did you find me? You don't know how long I've been waiting, hoping for a chance to go home again." At Elrohir's stricken expression, the man released his grip on his brother's shoulders and slumped back against the pillows, putting his hands over his face. His next words were muffled, "You're not my Elrohir, are you? You have not come to take me back home."

Elrohir's heart broke at the sorrow in Eradan's voice. "No, I am sorry," he apologized, laying a tentative hand on Eradan's uninjured leg. "I did not intend to distress you so. I overheard you and Mithrandir speaking on the balcony during his last visit. I wanted you to know that I know who you are, where you come from." He paused a moment before continuing. "You are not alone here, Aragorn. I may not be the brother you remember, but I am your brother, or would like to be, if you will have me as such. Please, forgive my thoughtlessness in stirring your hope of returning home."

Lowering his hands from his face, Aragorn allowed Elrohir to see the sparkle of unshed tears in his eyes. "I do not blame you, Elrohir, but for a moment, I had such hope…"

The despair in the man's eyes prompted Elrohir to shift over on the bed and wrap his arms around Eradan's shoulders in a gentle embrace. He was unsure if the ranger would accept such comfort from him, but he was encouraged to feel Eradan's arms encircle his back as he rested his head against Elrohir's shoulder. Elrohir tightened his embrace as he felt Eradan shaking with silent sobs. He gently rubbed a hand up and down Aragorn's back, soothing him as he would a child. The thought struck him that the other Elrohir must have done this very thing many times for his human brother.

After a brief time, Eradan's tears ceased, and he pulled away from Elrohir to sit back against his pillows. Wiping the remaining tear tracks from his face, he stared warily at the elf. "I would imagine that you have many questions."

An arched eyebrow was Elrohir's response to the ridiculous nature of the comment. Of course he had questions! However, he would refrain from bombarding the man with all of his questions while he was so tired and vulnerable. "Yes, I do, but they can wait. You look tired. Perhaps you would prefer to rest now and we can discuss this in the morning?"

Closing his eyes for a moment and lowering his head, Aragorn struggled to pull his thoughts together. Opening his eyes again, Aragorn looked up and met Elrohir's questioning gaze. "No, I would prefer if we spoke now, and made sure matters are clear between us." His voice was firm as he dropped all traces of Eradan and faced Elrohir for the first time as Aragorn, his posture straightening and his expression becoming stern.

Elrohir was taken aback when the man before him met his eyes steadily. It was no longer Eradan looking back at him. For some reason, he had not fully comprehended that he had never met this Aragorn. He had assumed that what Eradan chose to show them was whom he truly was, the lighthearted young man that occasionally withdrew into his own thoughts. The person he now faced was someone he did not know. There was a presence about the man that he had never felt before. He suddenly realized that this Aragorn had commanded men in battle and knew the burdens of deciding the fate of others. A wealth of knowledge and experience shone out of the grey eyes now staring at him. Elrohir drew in a breath and let it out slowly, waiting for Aragorn to speak first. For the moment, all of his questions had fled his mind, leaving him staring at the stranger in front of him, unsure how to proceed.

Watching the uncertainty flicker across Elrohir's face, Aragorn's lips quirked upwards at the corner in a sad smile. "Am I truly so foreign to you now, my brother?"

"Brother?" Elrohir asked softly, questioning the offer he had made not so long ago. "Are we brothers? I realized only now that I do not know you. How then can we be brothers?" He watched uncomfortably as Aragorn's smile faded and a flash of pain darted across his face.

"I may have hidden much from you, Elrohir, but you know me. It was me whom you first met the day of the attack on Arathorn eight years ago. I was the one who tried so hard to become your friend, to encourage you to befriend the children, the one you have laughed with and fought beside all these years." Aragorn's expression was serious as he worked to convince Elrohir not to treat him as a stranger.

A thought occurred to Elrohir. "Your fighting skills have always far surpassed what a young man of your supposed age should know. Everything we taught you, in fighting, history, and healing, you already knew." He did not know whether to feel outraged that all the teaching had been wasted, or sympathy for the man who had to sit through lessons of things he had learned many years ago.

Aragorn gave a slight shrug. "I could hardly show my true knowledge, could I? It would be rather difficult to explain. As Eradan gained knowledge, it has been easier for me. But yes, his exuberance for all knowledge was an attempt to hide the fact that I knew things I should not." A smile crept across his face. "I must say it was much easier the second time through. I was not nearly so quick a student as a child, though I was always quicker at swordplay than at history."

Noticing that Aragorn referred to Eradan as a different person than himself, Elrohir tilted his head and stared at the man. He could not help but wonder what that must have been like for him, being forced to live as someone he was not, keeping the two identities separate for so long. "How have you managed all these years, pretending to be a young, untried ranger when it is obvious that you have lived a great many years beyond Eradan's experience? Maintaining another identity must have been quite difficult."

Giving Elrohir a lopsided smile, Aragorn shrugged again. "It was not the first time I have had to do such a thing. I traveled extensively as a young man, and it was not always safe for me to be known by my true name. I have been known by many names in my life. Eradan was simply another such disguise, though by far the most difficult one for me. In all my other travels, I have never had to hide myself from my friends and family. You do not know how difficult this has been, not to tell you, Elladan, Ada…I mean Lord Elrond." Shaking his head at his slip, Aragorn chuckled slightly. "And now you see the truth behind my 'delirium' when I first awoke from my injuries. I did not remember at the time where and who I was."

Remembering the pain in Eradan's voice when he first awoke, Elrohir frowned. They had not been sure he would survive the infection at the time, and Elrohir once again gave thanks that the life of the one before him had been spared. Forcing his thoughts away from the dark paths they had trodden as he watched over the injured man, Elrohir looked at the man in curiosity. "You mentioned something about falling from a tree while following Elladan? May I hear the story behind that?"

Studying the one he had always known as a brother, Aragorn nodded. "I will share the stories of my childhood with you, but we must discuss a few other things first. I must ask that you tell no others of what you have learned about me. Mithrandir is the only one whom I have told about myself. I did so in the hopes that he could help me to get back to my time, to the world and people I left behind. It was a vain hope. I still do not know the purpose in my presence here, other than that I was given the chance to save my father's life, and it was an opportunity I could not pass up."

Seeing the opening he had been given, Elrohir leaned forward expectantly. "Though you do not know why you are here, can you tell me anything about how you arrived here?" The curiosity over how someone could travel back to the past had been eating at Elrohir from the moment he overheard that conversation.

Shifting on the bed to get more comfortable, Aragorn inclined his head, then closed his eyes, thinking back to that night, eight years ago. "I was with you and Elladan in the guest chambers. My son had recently been born, and my wife had banished all three of us from the room for a time." He opened his eyes, and the twinkle in them invited Elrohir to share in a joke he did not yet know. "Apparently, we were hovering over both her and my son and she needed some time of peace and quiet." A casual one-shouldered shrug as well as the wide smile on the man's face showed that the night was a happy memory. "So, to allow her and the child to rest, we retreated to your rooms for the evening. We spent the time talking, sharing memories of our own childhoods, and simply rejoicing in the life that had been gifted to us. While we spoke, we began discussing our own parents, and the things that we wished could have been different. I expressed a wish to have known Arathorn. I had been so young when he was killed that I had no memories of him. Elrond was the only father I had ever known. You and Elladan expressed a wish to have been able to spare your mother her pain and keep her in Arda." Aragorn's expression darkened, and he went on to tell Elrohir of the voice in the darkness telling him that he would be given the chance to save Arathorn, but that he would do so in the body of another, and would have to live with the consequences. Then he told of waking that morning in the camp and seeing Arathorn for the first time. "And you know the tale from there," Aragorn finished, watching Elrohir closely for his reaction.

Elrohir's eyes were wide in amazement as he listened to Aragorn's tale. It was nearly unbelievable, but he found he did believe every word. He had heard and seen too much with Aragorn to do otherwise. His eyes narrowed as he thought back over Aragorn's words. There had been no mention of his wife's name, or that of his son's, which meant he was being very careful not to give away too much information about future events. The mention of guest chambers gave Elrohir pause, however. That made it seem as though Aragorn lived in a place much larger than the houses usually used by the Chieftain of the Dúnedain. If he and his wife had lived in Imladris, then the twins would not have been in guest quarters, but their own rooms. He began piecing together these small clues and the sense of command emanating from the man. It was true that the line of Isildur's heirs were all royalty, even if they did not currently have a kingdom, but Aragorn seemed more like the kings of old than many of his line, and Elrohir drew in a sudden breath. Could it be that he was sitting here with the man who would reclaim the throne?

As he watched the realization come over Elrohir, Aragorn cursed to himself. Apparently he had given away more than he had thought in his tale. "Elrohir." His voice was firm as he spoke to gain Elrohir's attention. The elf jerked his gaze back to meet Aragorn's, wonder and question in his eyes. "I cannot give you information on the future without the possibility that events will change. While I will answer questions on my childhood, and events up to the current time, I will not share information on anything that could have a direct impact on the future. Any conjecture you may have will have to remain just that, conjecture. I hope that you will honor that and not ask any questions about the future that I have lived."

Forcing his curiosity aside, Elrohir nodded. "Very well. I will agree to those terms. I have already discovered the danger of depending on future knowledge to decide my current actions. When in council earlier this evening, I found myself watching you for any clue as to what my actions should be in regards to the troll situation. It did not take me long to decide that I could not rely on you, and must make my decisions as I always do. I have already fought that battle, Aragorn. I will honor your request."

"And my request not to tell anyone what you know about me, not even Elladan or Adar?" Aragorn's expression softened as he saw the uncertainty cross Elrohir's face. "I know what it is I ask, Elrohir. I know how difficult it will be for you to keep this secret. But it can do no good for anyone else to know. The more people who know, the more chance there is that events will change, far beyond anyone's control. Many things must happen in the future, and not all of them will be good. But I fear changing anything more than has already been changed." Leaning forward, Aragorn braced his hands on the mattress and held Elrohir's gaze intently. "Do I have your word on this?"

Taking a deep breath and studying the eyes of the man before him, Elrohir searched his heart and decided to trust this brother of his. "You have it," he said softly, watching relief flood Aragorn's face as he slumped back against his pillows again. Elrohir watched as he rubbed absently at his leg. "Does your leg pain you again?"

Waving a hand in dismissal, Aragorn shook his head. "It is only a dull ache. Nothing to worry about." Shifting to recline more comfortably, he looked back to Elrohir. "Would you like to hear the tale of me following Elladan into the tree now?" Reaching beside him, he grabbed a pillow and tossed it over to Elrohir. "You may as well make yourself comfortable." When Elrohir had taken the pillow and settled it between his back and the bedpost, Aragorn began his story. "I was only twelve at the time, and thought myself capable of doing anything that my older brothers could do." Aragorn's voice held a smile as he recounted the tale to Elrohir. One tale led to another, and they spoke long into the night, allowing Elrohir to come to know the man he had accepted as a brother.

As Aragorn began yawning in the middle of another tale, Elrohir straightened. "Perhaps we should call it a night and continue this at another time. You need your rest, and I admit to being somewhat weary myself."

Rousing himself from his nest of pillows, Aragorn struggled more fully upright, being careful in how he moved his leg. "You are correct, I believe." Glancing around, Aragorn began shifting carefully over to the edge of his bed so that he could change into his sleeping attire.

Standing as he watched the cautious movements, Elrohir offered his aid, if it were needed.

Offering the elf a tired smile, Aragorn shook his head. "No, thank you, Elrohir. I have been able to dress myself for bed for many decades now. I would appreciate it, however, if you could hand me my walking stick. My leg has stiffened up and I fear I would not make it two steps beyond this bed."

"Of course," Elrohir said, picking up the stick and then handing it over to the man, then watching long enough to see that he was able to stand and begin moving toward the dresser. "I will take my leave of you then. Good night, my brother."

"Good night, brother." Aragorn's smile was tired, but genuine, and he obviously took pleasure in the fact that Elrohir still considered him a brother. Inclining his head in acknowledgment, Elrohir stepped out of the room and left Aragorn to ready himself for the night.

They did not have the chance to speak much the next morning, as shortly after the morning meal, Elladan and Elrohir rode off with Baran to join Arathorn's patrol and hunt down the trolls. Eradan saw them off from the front steps to the house, watching as they headed out of the hidden valley. Nodding to himself, Eradan headed back into the house, hoping that events would follow their proper course.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List