Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

All dialogue in this prompt ficlet is taken directly from "Flight to the Ford" in the Fellowship of the Ring.


Prompt 60: Knife
Ficlet: Morgul-blade
Rating: G
Weathertop, October 7, 3018 TA

Aragorn was weary when he returned to the dell at the light of the first dawn, but it had taken him a long time to find athelas; no other healing herb would suit for such a wound that Frodo had. He was relieved to find the hobbit awake and alert though the discomfort he bore was obvious.

With light now filling the dell the man made out a crumpled black cloak at the edge of their camp. "Look!" he called to his companions as he approached the material. He quickly explained to them that while Frodo did strike at the creature, the wraith himself was not wounded by the blade. His voice nearly died, however, as his eyes strayed to the item that lay hidden under the cloak.

"And more deadly to Frodo was this," he said, not allowing his voice to betray his initial thoughts. Aragorn knelt and picked up the fallen knife, his face becoming grim as the blade melted in the morning light. His worst fears were now confirmed: Frodo had been stabbed with a Morgul-knife. He had read of such things before, but never before had he held one in his hand. Resisting the urge to throw the hilt as far away from his person as possible, he quickly explained the situation to his companions before beginning his work on Frodo's wound.

But first there was the knife to deal with, for such a weapon, even bladeless and out of the hand of its master, could work evil. At that hour he was never gladder to have tutors such as Elrond and Gandalf for few in this Age knew how to deal with the instruments of the Morgul Vale. Laying it on his knees, he forgot about his companions for a moment as he concentrated his thoughts upon the dagger-hilt. He searched his memory for the proper words and then began to chant a slow song in Quenya. The song had much more potent with those much older than he, but he was the Heir of Westernesse and possessed some of that ancient power in his bloodline. While it would not completely dispel the evil that lingered in the hilt, it would nullify it for a time.

When he was finished he put the hilt aside. He had done all he could with it; now it was time to tend to the wound the knife had created.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List