Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Prompt 59: Secrecy
Ficlet: A New Name
Rating: G
Rivendell, July 2933 TA

The death of two chieftains in less than five years unsettled the Dúnedain. While it was quickly decided that Arador's nephew, Haladan, would rule as chieftain until Aragorn was old enough to accept his role, this was still the first time in one thousand years that the direct heir of Isildur was not old enough to assume his father's position. A mere thirty years ago there were three direct heirs; now there was only a two-year-old.

The Dúnedain worried for the safety of their future chieftain, and it was this worry that made Elrond's suggestion easier to go along with. After all, where a better place to raise a child than the haven of Rivendell? There he would be safe from all outside dangers. And so while Gilraen's parting from her family was bitter, she knew it was for the best.

The young woman nearly forgot her sorrow when she first looked upon the valley of Imladris, but it came readily back when Aragorn would shift his position in his sleep. She almost could not bear to look at her son, for every time she did she was reminded that he would grow up without a father.

On their first night in the Last Homely House Gilraen was summoned by Elrond. She came soon to the elf-lord, and rather than continue on his condolences as he had done so when she arrived, Elrond moved onto important matters. Once she was settled and more relaxed in his presence, he quickly went to the topic he wished to discuss with her.

"These sudden deaths of Arador and your husband," he started, "are not random, I deem. Throughout the recent years it has been noted by both your people and mine that attacks upon the Dúnedain are becoming more frequent and more bold. I and many of my colleagues believe that these are not mere orc attacks, but that a darker, much more powerful force moves them."

Gilraen stiffened and her lips thinned. "I have heard the reports of the Dark Lord stirring once more. You then believe he has a part to play in the rise of orc activity within the last ten years?"

"I do, and he still remembers that the people of Arnor were Isildur's people. He would know of Valandil's kingdom, and of Arvedui's downfall, yet he may not believe as others do that the line of Isildur ceases to exist." Elrond paused for a moment. "If the Enemy discovered that Imladris was harboring the last Heir of Isildur, he would bring his forces upon us."

Her calm mantle fell away and she briefly exposed herself as the young, frightened woman that she was. "Then is Aragorn not safe even here?"

"There is one option that would guarantee his safety," he started. "There is no chance of the Enemy hearing rumors of Aragorn if his identity was kept hidden from all- even himself."

Gilraen shook her head. "Keep his identity away from him?" She shook her head once more, but Elrond saw that she slowly accepted his proposal. "What would you suggest I call him? I cannot think of him as anything but Aragorn, son of Arathorn."

"Estel."

She blinked in surprise. "'Hope'? Why that name, my lord?"

"I see many things in store for him, Gilraen, and I believe that he will be the hope of many. Nothing is certain at this point, but I am sure he will come to be a great man."

The woman nodded in resignation. "Estel. Estel it is, then." If she had to hide her beloved son's identity to protect him, so be it.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List