Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Feud  by Misty

Chapter Eleven

Red sat down abruptly on the floor, his world and all his preconceptions knocked out from under him. His son had burned down the house accidentally? All that he had done was a mistake? The color drained from his face as he realized that he had kidnapped a nine-year-old boy based on only his own paranoia. Cedric had had nothing to do with Berwen's disappearance. Berwen had been so afraid of facing him that he had run away, and he had responded by kidnapping his son's best friend and having that friend's father nearly beaten to death? What had he done? What had all those suspicions made him do? That wasn't who he was, or at least it wasn't who he wanted to be.

He forced himself to look up and meet Cedric's eyes. "I'm sorry. I am so sorry for everything I did to you." He met the scared eyes of the young boy on the bed. "And for what I did to you, I cannot offer enough apologies. I was afraid, and I did things that I am now ashamed of. I cannot say how sorry I am for everything I did. Please, though I know I do not deserve your forgiveness, I hope that some day in the future, I may receive it." Turning back to his son, he rose to his knees and grasped Berwen's shoulders. "But understand this. What I did, my actions, are my own. You are not responsible for anything that has happened here. I do wish you had felt you could come to me and tell me what happened to the house, but I feel that your fear of my reaction was my own fault as well. You are not responsible for any of this, do you understand me? You are a child, we are the adults. We should have known better than to let something like this happen."

Berwen stared into his father's eyes for a moment, then leaned forward and hugged him. Red hugged him back with all his might, so grateful to have his son back in his arms. His eyes met Cedric's over his son's shoulder. "Whatever you demand in recompense, it is yours. If you wish me to spend time in jail, I will do so, without complaint. I only ask that you and your wife watch Berwen for me."

Aragorn felt he had to intervene into the conversation. "Do you have a judge in this village? An impartial observer to hear cases and decide equitable and just solutions to conflicts?"

Cedric and Red both looked back at Aragorn. "We have not had such a man in the village for some time," Cedric responded. "The last man we had in such a position left years ago. He heard so many cases that were squabbles between my family and Red's that he grew frustrated and decided to leave to find a more peaceful village."

Aragorn rubbed his beard in thought. "You said the healer, Hannah, is an impartial inhabitant of this village. I would never ask a healer to stand in judgment of anyone, as that would reduce her ability to treat all who come to her door. But surely there are other impartial people who live here who would be willing to take on the role and help mediate peace among the villagers here?"

Cedric and Red both stopped in thought. "There are a few who might," Red said slowly. "We would have to approach them with the idea, and the promise that both sides would abide by whatever ruling is decided upon. I will speak to my family and gain their assurance that they will give this promise."

"And I will speak with my family to do the same," Cedric said. He moved to get out of bed, and Aragorn moved forward quickly into the room.

"Are you well enough to move from your bed?" Aragorn asked.

"I am well enough for this," Cedric said. "I ask that you watch Keane until I return. Keep him safe from any harm."

"And that you watch Berwen," Red said. "You have proven that you are trustworthy. I believe that you would do anything necessary to keep both of our sons safe."

"We would," Aragorn said with a nod, touched that these men would trust him to watch over their recently returned sons. He nodded to both men as they exited the house and walked off to find their respective families and ensure a continued peace.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List