Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Feud  by Misty

Chapter Nine

As they approached the village, Aragorn began to hope that the other Rangers had been successful in finding Keane, the other missing boy. His hopes of ending the violence depended largely on returning both boys to their fathers at the same time. Aragorn took the time as they were walking to explain some of what had happened while Berwen was in hiding. He knew it would likely shock the boy, but he didn't want him to be surprised about the destruction of much of the village when they returned. The last thing he wanted the boy to think was that the fire had spread and he had been responsible for the damage to the other homes. Berwen was already feeling guilty for his own house. Thinking that he had burned down other houses was more than he would be able to take. Aragorn was uncertain how much to say about Red's actions to his son, so he simply said that Red thought Cedric had taken him and got very angry. Then when the two families got angry at each other, they started trying to hurt each other. Berwen's reaction surprised Aragorn.

"If I had thought Papa would blame Keane's father, I would never have run away. I know Papa doesn't like him. He's angry at a lot of people in the town, but doesn't really know why. A lot of people in town feel the same way. They're all mad all the time. I wish I knew how to stop it. Keane's father is a nice man, he always treats me just fine. I need to get back home and tell Papa that it was my fault. If he should be mad at anyone, it should be me." Berwen wrapped his arms around himself at the thought, but held his head high.

Aragorn was impressed at the maturity in that statement. This was a young boy who had grown up in a town filled with tension, who was very well aware of the anger and hatreds that ran so strongly through all the people around him. This was the future of the village, someone who wanted to bring an end to the anger, to find a way to bring peace. The thought gave Aragorn some small measure of hope. He only hoped the boy and others like him could keep that hope of peace with them as they grew and did not succumb to the prejudices of their parents and grandparents.

Once at the edge of the village, Aragorn sent Brégnir to fetch Red, and Red only, to the healer's house. As one of the only neutral places in town, it seemed the best place to return the boys. After Brégnir left, Aragorn led Berwen through the village. The boy's eyes were wide, sadness, pain and a hint of wisdom all mixed in as he looked at what was left of the village he had grown up in. "How could they do this?" he murmured to himself. "There's almost nothing left." He looked up at Aragorn. "How are we going to move on from this?"

Placing a hand comfortingly on his shoulder, Aragorn looked back at the boy. "It won't be easy. I won't lie to you. It will take everyone in the village working together to fix this."

A shadow of doubt clouded the boy's eyes. "I don't know if they can do that."

"They will have to try," Aragorn said as he led the boy up the steps into the healer's home.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List