Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

A/N: Once again there is a wedding in the Shire, and you are all invited! Please congradulate Sam and Rosie on FINALLY getting married!

29~ Another Wedding

“Are you nervous, Sam?” I ask in amazement, watching his hands tremble as he attempts to straighten his collar.

He blushes red and nods.

I chuckle a little and help him with his rebellious collar. “Don’t be nervous, love. Everything will go just fine,” I assure him, resting my hands on his shoulders as we both survey his attire in a full length mirror.

“You look fancy enough to be Prince of Gondor!” I say approvingly.

Again he blushes. “But Frodo, I don’t want…”

“I know, I know. Today is for you and Rosie, so enjoy it,” I order, kissing his cheek and running off to my room to change my waistcoat.

* * *

The weather is beautiful as we gather under the Mallorn tree, awaiting the arrival of the bride. The flowers that had blossomed earlier his spring reflect the midmorning sunlight and appear golden against the green leaves.

Then Rosie steps out of the closed tent at the back of the field and begins down the aisle. Sam grips my hand tightly as he gasps at her beauty.

Her red-golden curls are done up in lavender ribbons that match the lining on her white dress, and her smile is radiant as she comes to stand beside Sam.

He releases my hand to hold her hands in his as the officiator begins his speech. I barely hear a word he says, basking in my joy at Sam’s happiness. The feeling is one I haven’t felt for a long time, and I accept it happily. I doubt Sam and Rosie heard much either, as it seems the only thing in the world to them at this moment is each other.

He finishes and presents them with their marriage certificate, and they sign it before he announces them as husband and wife.

“You may kiss your bride,” he says in closing, and Sam does just that.

The crowd applauds, and Gen’s daughters begin giggling hysterically in the second row of hobbits. We all dismiss, and gather around the tables for luncheon. I sit next to Sam and Rosie, and try to fill my plate and begin eating before Sam remembers to remind me of it. I see Pippin near the other end with the young lass he’d met at the Yule party and head over to them the minute the meal is over.

“Ah! Frodo!” Pippin says, waving me over. “This is Diamond. She’s the girl I was telling you about. Diamond, this is my cousin, Frodo.”

I bow politely and say, “At your service and your family’s.”

She smiles and says, “Hello,” in a very quiet, shy sounding voice, nodding her head in a half bow.

“What brings you to Hobbiton?” I ask.

“My family is visiting some old friends for the week,” she replies.

She is, as Pippin had said, remarkably pretty.

“I ran into her and her older brother in the market yesterday, and heard she was staying, so I invited her to come with me,” Pippin explained. He looked happy and nervous at the same time. “That and Merry made me promise to introduce him as soon as possible.”

Diamond laughs, a sound almost like a water fountain, delicate and pretty.

“She thinks Merry’s funny,” Pippin explains again.

I nod. “I see. Well, you’ll have to introduce her to Sam and Rosie before we leave. I was just on my way to ask Merry when we’re going.”

Moments later I am saying goodbye to my best friend, wishing him well, and assuring him I’ll be back in two weeks. “I promise I’ll be all right,” I say, putting my hands on his shoulders. “Merry and Pippin will take care of me. You just worry about taking care of your Rose.” I smile at him, then grin at Rosie, standing beside him. “I love you, my Sam,” I say, hugging him tightly.

“I’ll miss you,” Sam says.

I squeeze his arm gently and then turn to Rosie. “You’ll take care that Sam doesn’t worry too much about either of us?”

“Of course, Mr. Frodo,” she says with a grin.

“I know you will. Congratulations, Mrs. Gamgee,” I say, using her new married name. Both Sam and Rosie smile and blush. They look at each other, then at me, and bid me farewell.

I wave back to them as I follow Merry and Pippin to their waiting wagon.

~Finis Part One~

A/N: I am sorry for the infrequency of my posts. This story would come along faster if it weren't for school, and the fact that I have very few ideas so far for how to begin part two. But never fear, it will come soon, I hope! God bless, Ellie Silmariën





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List