Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

28 ~ Meetings

It is one week till the wedding. Merry and Pippin are here, staying with us, and Brend and Gen plan to come the day before with their families. It’s been planned that I am to go back to Buckland with them for two weeks after the wedding to allow Sam and Rosie some time alone.

I told my cousins about Ellis and they also agreed that teaching the lad would do me good. I haven’t thought much about it yet, since we’re busy with the wedding and I said I’d start teaching him once my term as Deputy Mayor is over, after mid-years. Ellis had been so excited to begin learning that I think he was a little disappointed to have to wait, but I know it would be too much for me, and he said he understood.

Rosie and her mother and Sam’s three sisters have been rushing all over Hobbiton to be sure everything is ready, while Mr. Cotton and the Gaffer have been making plans to move Rosie’s things in a few days.

Sam has been busy as well, and I’ve had little time alone with him lately, but I’ve enjoyed being with Merry and Pippin. They haven’t visited enough lately.

* * *

Gen and Brend brought their families to Hobbiton today and they are all at Bag End with us. It’s nice to hear children playing in Bag End. Gen’s three, Lily, Ruby and Brend, ran about all day, exploring and imagining while their parents joined the rest of us in the parlor.

“Rosie should be over soon,” Sam says as we all sit down in the various chairs and couches around the room.

“I can’t wait to meet her,” Heather says, taking her seat next to Gen.

“I’m sure you’ll like her,” Sam says with a smile.

I go to sit in a chair by Brend, not wanting to get in Sam and Rosie’s way, but Sam waves me over to sit by him on the couch that is big enough for three.

As I sink into the couch, Rosie walks through the door, and Sam stands to greet her, and introduce her to our friends.

Before we know it Rosie, Heather and Violet are talking about fabrics for wedding dresses and other such stuff like old friends. Gen glances at us, and grins, rolling his eyes. Sam nods his head towards the kitchen.

“Well,” Brend says cheerfully once we leave the lasses to their chatter and gather in the kitchen for a mug of ale. “At least we know they get along!”

“Do girls always do that?” Merry asks, looking somewhat frightened.

Gen and Brend nod. “They could talk straight through for days if you let them!” Brend exclaims.

“You’ve heard my sisters talking before, Mer,” Pippin says, smiling.

“Well, yes, but I thought that just ran in the family,” he says, grinning at me.

“Hey, slow down, lass!” Gen calls as his youngest daughter, Ruby, races through the kitchen, Lily holding Brend close on her heels.

“Someday your children will fill Bag End,” I say to Sam as I gaze after the three little ones, images of many children with Sam’s golden-brown curls running through the halls of Bag End.

I see Brend’s look out of the corner of my eyes, and I know he’s still confused as to why I won’t marry.

“Speaking of children,” he says a moment later, breaking the silence as though he’d just remembered something. “Violet is pregnant. She just found out a few days ago”

Gen claps his friend on the back. “Congratulations!” he exclaims, and we all join in drinking his health, then Sam’s.

* * *

I can’t sleep tonight. Wanderer is curled against my stomach, purring hypnotically, but I can’t stop myself from thinking that my friend is getting married tomorrow. I’m very excited.

I hear my door open, and a moment later Sam crawls into bed beside me. I roll over and smile at him. “Couldn’t sleep?” I ask.

He shakes his head. “Just thought I could stay with you tonight since I’ve been so busy lately and you’ll be gone for a while.”

I nod and smile. “I’m glad you came,” I say. “I’m going to miss you.”

“How’ve you been?” he asks, looking concerned. “I’ve been meaning to ask for days, but I’ve been dragged here and there, and Mr. Pippin said he’s got everything handled.”

“I’m all right,” I reply, this time really meaning it. “Better than I have been.” It seems forever since the thirteenth or the twenty-fifth. I haven’t done much writing lately, and I suppose with all the busyness has distracted me from thinking much, at least until I am alone at night.

“Why didn’t you want to come sit with me earlier?” Sam asks suddenly.

I stare at him for a moment, then say, “I didn’t want to be in the way.”

“Why wouldn’t you be in the way?” he asks. “Don’t you be thinkin’ that,” he chides me gently, scooting closer to me and wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Yes Sam,” I reply as he rests his head against my heart. I pull him to me, stroking his hair, remembering the last few times he had nightmares. They had been about me dying on Mount Doom, and after each he had reassured himself that I was still alive by falling asleep again with his head against my heart, listening to it beating.

“You know I want you around, and Rosie does too,” Sam states a moment later.

“Yes,” I say with a nod.

“Good then,” he says, curling up closer to me and letting wanderer lay at our feet. “Remember that, dearest.”

“I will,” I reply, smiling as we both drift off to sleep.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List