Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Regret  by Misty

Chapter Four

“This was his favorite place,” Aragorn started softly. “We spent many a summer’s day here. Bregor had planned to teach his children to swim in this very place. Only he was never given the chance.”

“What happened?” Legolas asked softly.

“He died for my arrogance,” Aragorn answered, still looking into the water, avoiding Legolas’ gaze.

Legolas had almost been expecting something like that after hearing Aragorn’s words at the graveside. He had recognized the guilt in Aragorn’s voice. Legolas moved away from the tree and took a seat on the ground near Aragorn. He wanted to be able to see Aragorn’s face. Aragorn glanced briefly at Legolas, then fixed his gaze on the water again.

“We met many years ago,” Aragorn said. “I was nearly seventeen when my brothers took me to ride with the Dúnedain for the first time. I was excited, but scared all at once. I had not at that time known who my father truly was, nor even my true name, but Ada had told me enough that I knew my father had been a leader among the Dúnedain. The men that I would soon be meeting had known my father. I had so many questions that I wanted to ask them, but I did not wish to seem as a curious child. The first man I was introduced to was Halbarad. At the time, I found him to be rather stern and intimidating. After Halbarad, I was introduced to many others, all who seemed to be very stern men. I remember wondering if any of them ever smiled. My childhood had been filled with smiles and laughter. Growing up with the twins as my older brothers, it could not have been any other way.”

Legolas smiled at that. As long as you were not on the receiving end of one of their pranks, laughter was inevitable around the twins.

“I wondered if I would have to stop laughing and playing pranks on the twins in order to become one of the Dúnedain,” Aragorn admitted.

Legolas was surprised that Aragorn had ever felt that way about the men that he now commanded. He knew the Dúnedain could seem stern and unyielding to outsiders, but they had a wicked sense of humor, and Aragorn was now one of them, often even called ‘the Dúnadan’ in Imladris.

Aragorn smiled as he delved into his memories. “Just as I was beginning to feel very out of place, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and found myself facing a young man about my age. I stared for a moment because he looked enough like me to be my brother. We had the same dark hair and grey eyes. He laughed and told me not to worry, that the men were not nearly so harsh as they seemed. His father was one of them, so he knew the men quite well. He told me that his name was Bregor, and that this was the first time he had been allowed to ride out as well. We were fast friends from that moment on. He was quite fascinated with the twins, so in exchange for his stories about the men, I told him about the twins. I made the mistake of telling him about a certain prank the twins pulled on Glorfindel. Bregor didn’t believe it could be done, so I had to prove it to him.”

“Oh, no,” Legolas said, grinning. He could see where this story was going.

“Oh, yes,” Aragorn said. “With Bregor’s help, we soon had Elladan dangling in a tree by his foot. Needless to say, he was none too happy about it. Bregor and I became the victims of a series of pranks that made even the stern Dúnedain nearly fall of their horses laughing. We were determined not to let them get away with it, so we pulled more pranks on them.”

Legolas started laughing. “I can see it now. Two young Aragorns paying the twins back for every prank they ever played.”

“We tried,” Aragorn said, smiling. “Though we did not have their extensive experience, we had great imaginations.” Aragorn sighed. “Whenever we were together, we were inseparable. He was my friend as you are my friend, Legolas. He was at my side no matter what happened. Nothing could change our friendship, not even finding out my true name and lineage. The first time I saw him after Elrond had told me who I was, I did not even have to say a word. He saw the ring of Barahir on my finger and knew what it meant. Being named after Barahir’s father, he had felt an affinity with Barahir and studied his life in detail. Bregor knew the ring was given to Barahir by King Felagund in return for saving his life and as a gesture of their friendship. He knew what the ring looked like, and that it was passed down, father to son, to all of Isildur’s direct descendants.”

“What did he do?” Legolas asked curiously. By the time he had met Aragorn, Aragorn had known full well his true name and lineage. Legolas had never known the young man who thought himself no more than Estel, the adopted human son of the Lord of Imladris.

Aragorn laughed softly. “He knelt before me and pledged his fealty to me for the remainder of our lives. I was afraid that our friendship had changed forever. But the next morning, as I finished bathing in the stream, I discovered half my clothes missing! I had to walk back through the camp wearing very little in order to retrieve the rest of my clothing.”

“Not very dignified for a man who had just discovered that he was royalty,” Legolas laughed.

“Maybe not, but I knew at that point that our friendship would never change." Aragorn stopped as the smile slipped from his face. He sighed before continuing. "We had it all planned out, Legolas. Bregor, like most of the Dúnedain, was a direct descendant of the people who escaped the Drowning of Númenor with Elendil and his sons. He saw me as the one true king, no matter what the Stewards of Gondor claimed. He planned to follow me to Gondor when I claimed my throne. There was no doubt in his mind, nor in mine at that time, that I would one day take the throne. It was only a matter of time. When he fell in love with Aerin, only one thing changed in his plans. He would bring Aerin and any children they may have to Gondor with him. He took his vow to me very seriously. I stood with him as he and Aerin were wed. I grew very fond of Aerin as well. Whenever I visited, the three of us would laugh long into the night. I still remember the pride and joy on his face when he told me that Aerin was with child.” Aragorn stopped suddenly and leaned forward, resting his face in his hands. Legolas had a feeling he was coming to the end of the tale.

“We were tracking a band of raiders that was terrorizing the villages to the north,” Aragorn said slowly. He sat up and ran a hand through his hair, pushing it off of his face. “We knew which road they traveled most frequently, so Halbarad planned an ambush. He was still training me to one day take command, but I was not yet ready. He gave each of us a place to lay in wait. It was a long time before anyone came, but that did not bother me. I had learned patience on hunting trips with you and my brothers.”

Legolas started abruptly. He had forgotten that part of this story must have happened in the time that he had known Aragorn.

Aragorn didn’t notice Legolas’ reaction, lost as he was in the past. “Eventually, we spotted movement along the side of the road. The raiders had sent scouts ahead. One of the scouts was heading directly for the hiding place of one of our men. I thought I was the only one in a position to see that Gundor was in danger. I left my position and crept up behind the scout. I was so intent on my prey, that I did not notice the other scout drawing his arrow on my back. The first hint I had that I was in danger was when a body hit me, knocking me to the ground. I quickly rolled over and drew my knife to defend myself, when I noticed that it was Bregor lying across my body. His eyes were staring into the distance, and there was an arrow through his heart. I will never forget how he looked at that moment. His face haunts my dreams still. One of my closest friends had died from an arrow meant for me. He gave his life to save mine, Legolas! I would like to say that I struck down the man who killed him, but I can’t. All I could do was sit on the ground and hold the body of a man who had been as dear to me as a brother. Halbarad and the other Rangers broke cover to capture the two scouts and keep them from putting the next arrow in my back, as they had tried once to do. As a result, the ambush was not possible. The rest of the raiders came into view before any of us could take cover. What should have been a quick, clean strike turned into a bloody battle with men on both sides losing their lives. I joined in the battle, and according to Halbarad, fought like a man possessed, though I do not remember it. The next clear memory I have is waking up in my room in Imladris with Ada and the twins hovering over me.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List