Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dreamflower's Mathoms II  by Dreamflower

(A double drabble written for RabidSamFan's birthday) 

IN GOOD HANDS

At the sound of laughter, I glance out the window. Rose and Elanor have joined Sam in the front garden. Rose has taken him a cool drink, which I watch him drink thirstily.

He’s been busy in the perennial bed, transplanting bulbs, laying mulch, preparing for cooler weather. I hear him telling Rose of the display he’s planning for spring, for my enjoyment.

I won’t be here.

Today I’ll let him know I will be with Bilbo on The Birthday. I know it’s deceitful to make him think I am only going to Rivendell, but I can’t bear to tell him that I will be sailing West, leaving forever.

It’s going to break his heart--yet if I stay, still I will not be here come spring. The next anniversary will finish me, if I stay, and that will *surely* break his heart.

I watch him take Elanor in his arms. She puts her tiny hands up and entangles them in his hair. I hear him exclaim as she pulls, and Rose comes to his aid. They both laugh as she lends her fingers to the task of untangling him.

I am glad. I will be leaving him in good hands.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List