Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Light in this Dark World  by Elanor Silmariën

For the first time since the Ring came to me I feel such freedom! Oh, if Sam could see me now, he would weep for joy! My pain and despair are gone, though my nightmares remain. They are the only reminder aside from the scars I bear that I went through such a terrible thing.

I am watching the beach now, waiting for the Ship that is bringing my dearest friend to me. Rosie is dead now. I know this not because any news has come, for none has, but because I can feel it. I can feel my Sam approaching. It is a bittersweet feeling.

Shortly before nightfall I see white sails on the horizon and spring to my feet. Gandalf approaches me from behind and says, "He is here, Frodo."

"Yes, I know," I reply, almost too happy to speak. I am holding Elanor's blanket in my hands, ready to fulfill my promise.

When he steps off the Ship, my eyes are the first thing he looks for. I smile at him and run towards him. I almost tackle him to the ground in my enthusiasm, but as he weighs a bit more than I, I only succeed in making him step back a few paces.

He wraps me once again in his arms and says, "I missed you, Frodo."

I bury my head in his shoulder and smile. My Sam, my guardian, can now finally see that I am whole and well again. He will no longer have to worry about me.

I pull away from him first, and hold out the blanket. "Here you are, Sam. I promised you, remember?"

He smiles and takes the blanket. "She's still there, you know," he said, looking at the blanket fondly. "She's the most beautiful hobbit-lass I've ever seen, aside from her sisters. They say she looks much like an Elf."

I grin and say, "She still looks like Rosie, then?"

Sam nods. For all her hobbity features and sense, when Rosie smiled she looked like an Elf.

"I can't wait to see her," I say. I know I shall, when we all move on from this world. But until then Sam and I will stay in this wonderful place, rejoicing for the rest of our days.

The End





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List