Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Forging of the Ringbearer: Part 1: A New Life  by Frodo Baggins

9 September 1398

"Farewell, Uncle Sara. Have a safe journey home. Don’t forget to give Merry a big hug for me and to tell him I miss him. Here." Frodo produced an envelope with ‘Merry’ written in his still slightly childish hand. Still, for a twenty one year old, it was very neat.

"I will be sure to give this, and the hug and your warm wishes to him. He will be pleased to hear from you." He pulled his nephew into an embrace. "It was good to see you again. Maybe you can come and visit sometime?"

"I’d love to. It was wonderful to see you, as well."

Saradoc wished Bilbo well and thanked him again for his gracious hospitality. He swung up on his pony and trotted into the distance. Frodo and Bilbo went inside together.

That evening, Bilbo knocked on Frodo’s door. "Frodo lad?"

"Yes?" Frodo was lying on his stomach, reading.

"You know our birthdays are only thirteen days away."

Frodo smiled at his uncle, and Bilbo knew that Frodo had been looking forward to it with youthful enthusiasm. "Yes, I knew. I’ve been counting the days since August."

Bilbo chuckled. "Of course you have. It’s your first birthday here and the first day we’ve spent together. What would you like to do?"

"I don’t know. You’re older, so I guess you are supposed to decide."

"Oh, I think not, lad. You’re much younger, you know. When you’ve had one hundred birthdays, they don’t seem so very special."

"Alright. How about we have a small dinner, and we each get to invite four guests."

"Splendid, splendid. We’ll have to decide who we invite so that we can start getting birthday mathoms. We will also have to decide what to eat that day. There are a lot of preparations that must be made."

"May I invite Sam?"

"Of course."

The next thirteen days sped by. Frodo personally invited Sam to come to his party; the lad eagerly accepted. He wrote Folco and Fatty Bolger invitations as well. The Day was fast approaching, and Frodo fretted over what to give Bilbo for his birthday mathom. Two days before the party, he was sitting with Sam under the large Oak tree on top of the Hill. It was their special place.

"Sam, I have no idea what to get Uncle Bilbo, and the Day is only two days away!"

Sam could see his friend was truly agitated. "Don’t worry, Mr. Frodo. I’ll help you think of somethin’." The lad screwed up his face in concentration. "What about...some more stationary?"

"He probably gets that from everybody else. I mean, what can I give a Hobbit who has everything he could ever want and more?"

"You already gave him what no treasure or money can buy, Mr. Frodo."

Frodo looked at his young friend puzzedly. "What’s that?"

"You gave him someone to love, and you love him back. No matter how much money he has in that Hill, it could never buy him someone to love and the cherish the way he loves and cherishes you, if you understand me."

Frodo looked at Sam as if he could detect the change that had taken place over his young friend. "W-w-well, yes, I suppose you’re right. But...he took *me* in, not the other way around. And that still doesn’t solve the problem of what to get him."

Sam looked Frodo square in the eye. "Don’t you worry, Mr. Frodo. And, it don’t matter wether he took you in, you still loved him back and accepted his offer to live with him."

Frodo could see the wisdom in Sam’s words. "I suppose you’re right, Sam. Thank you."

"But I do have an idea as to what to get him."

Frodo smiled at his friend. "What is it?"

"Well, maybe he might like some pipeweed. Market day’s tomorrow, and I know there are plenty o’ sellers sellin’ pipeweed."

"Why didn’t I think of that? Thank you, Sam!"

Sam smiled at his future master. He was proud that he had made his friend so happy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

21 September 1398

Frodo looked at the Grandfather clock in the Hall. Merry and Aunt Esme were due by luncheon. That would be only ten minutes! Frodo (tried to) walk to his Uncle’s study.

"Uncle?" the lad asked.

The greying head turned to Frodo. "Yes? What is it?"

"Merry’s going to be here in ten minutes. May I go outside and wait for him?

"Of course, of course. Let me know when they get here, will you?"

Frodo flashed his uncle a grin. "Of course! Thank you!"

Bilbo chuckled to himself as the lad dashed out of the study to wait outside.

*~*~*~*~*~*

They were late. Frodo paced back and forth. His gaze fixed on the road in the direction they would come from. Maybe something had happened. Maybe they had been waylaid by a pack of ruffians. Maybe...

"Mr. Frodo?" the small voice at his elbow caused Frodo to jump.

"Sam! You...you scared me! Don’t sneak up on me like that."

"Sorry, Mr. Frodo. What are you doin’?"

"I’m waiting for my cousin. He should be here by now. I don’t know what is taking them so long."

Sam could see the worry on his master’s face. "It’s alright, Mr. Frodo. I’ll bet they just stopped for breakfast, or maybe they got a late start or somethin’."

Frodo smiled appreciatively at Sam. His sharp ears picked up something, and he turned to Sam with the biggest grin on his face. "They’re here, Sam! They’re here!"

Just as he said this, a fine coach pulled up in front of the gate. The driver got down and helped Esme out, followed by her boisterous son, Merry.

"FRODO B!" The lad yelled as he crashed into Frodo.

Frodo returned the hug. "Merry! How are you doing? I’ve missed you so." Frodo drew his hand from Merry’s gold curls to his chest in measurement. He gasped, "Why, Merry! You’ve grown! No more growing for you, young Hobbit, or you may be taller than me one day." Merry laughed.

Frodo turned to his Aunt, who was smiling at the two. "I’ve missed you, too, Aunt Esme!" He gave her a hug. "Why don’t you come inside?"

They were met at the door by Bilbo. "Hello, Esmeralda! And young Merry! How are you?"

"Fine, Uncle Bilbo!"

Frodo caught sight of Sam across the yard and motioned him over. Hesitantly, Sam complied. "May I introduce Merry to Sam, Uncle?" Frodo asked.

"Yes, of course."

Merry in tow, Frodo met his young friend across the lawn. Esmeralda and Bilbo went inside for a cup of tea.

"Did you bring the pony, Esme?"

"I did. A fine pony, too. I didn’t tell Merry it was for Frodo, though. I don’t know that he would be able to keep it a secret."

"Thank you, Esmeralda. I do hope this will work."

"So do I, Bilbo. So do I." The two glanced out the window as Frodo and his cousin and his friend talked amiably together.

*~*~*~*~*

"Merry, meet Sam. Sam, this is my cousin Merry."

"Hullo, Sam. Frodo told me about you in his letters."

Sam glanced at Frodo and blushed. "Nice to meet you, as well, Mr. Merry. Sir."

Merry laughed. "Don’t call me ‘Mr.’. I’m not nearly as old as Frodo!"

"Merry!" Frodo playfully mussed his cousin’s hair.

"Well, Mr. Frodo, and Mr. ...I mean, Merry. I have to go home for luncheon. And then da wants me to help in the garden this afternoon. Sorry. Bye!" Sam trotted off down to Number Three Bagshot Row. Merry followed Frodo inside to eat a luncheon of their own.

*~*~*~*~*~*

TBC.....

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List