Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Forging of the Ringbearer: Part 1: A New Life  by Frodo Baggins

7 September 1398

Clop, clop, clop. Clop, clop, clop, clop. Hoofbeats coming up the Hill! Frodo looked out of one of Bag End’s numerous windows. It was Uncle Saradoc! Frodo raced back to Bilbo’s study and softly tapped on the door.

"Yes?"

"Uncle Sara’s here!" With that, he raced to the door to greet his other uncle.

Frodo flung open the door and greeted his uncle with a great hug.

"Hello, Frodo! It’s good to see you. You look like you’ve been taken care of."

"Yes, sir."

"Where’s Bilbo?"

At that moment Bilbo entered the room. "Saradoc!" The two shook hands warmly. "I trust your journey here was not too bad? Come in, come in!"

They walked into the parlour and Frodo made tea as the two elder hobbits discussed the weather and crops and other things of that generally boring nature.

"Frodo, Merry has been simply miserable without you. He has started his studies. He hasn’t quite mastered his letters yet, but he already dreams of writing you."

"Is that so? I miss him too. He is alright?"

"Oh, quite. He is more interested in pranks and playing than in his studies. He told me to tell you that he will try especially hard to concentrate for you."

Frodo smiled fondly. "Give him a hug for me. And how is Aunt Esme?"

"She’s doing wonderfully. We do miss you, Frodo. But I see that you are well taken care of here, and as long as you’re happy, we will be happy too."

"Thank you, Uncle."

"But Bilbo," Saradoc said, "and Frodo, as well. I understand your birthdays are coming up soon. Merry was wondering if he could come up to help you celebrate. Of course, if he can’t that would be perfectly fine. I wanted to run it by you first, and make sure it was alright."

"It sounds fine to me. I know Frodo wanted to ask him anyway."

"That’s good. Merry will be so very excited."

For dinner, Bilbo prepared one of the dishes that made his table famous in the Shire (though he would never admit it). It was lamb, perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. Mashed potatoes were soft and creamy; the asparagus was also seasoned and cooked to perfection. The two elder Hobbits enjoyed a glass of the Old Winyards. After dinner, Saradoc and Bilbo retired to the parlor and Frodo excused himself and went to his room.

Eventually, the conversation turned to Frodo.

"Extraordinary lad, is he not?" Bilbo asked.

"Yes. Esme and I still sometimes regret letting him go. But then, with being Master of the Hall and being as young as we are....we simply were not giving him the care and attention he deserved or needed. He is certainly getting it here. And for that I am deeply grateful."

"It is so very hard not to love him. But I have a problem that perhaps you can help me solve."

Saradoc leaned forward. He would offer his help in any way he could. The fire cast a warm glow about the room. "I’ll do what I can."

"You see, Frodo does not enjoy being out doors. Or at least, nothing active outdoors. Ever since he arrived, he has been like a recluse. He plays with the other lads sometimes, but I think he feels like he does not belong."

"Ah, yes. We had the same exact problem. He does like to explore sometimes. Before his parents passed away, his father taught him to ride. He enjoyed it ever since he could sit on a pony. But after his parents passed, he has avoided the stables. I tried to get him to teach Merry, but he wouldn’t do it. I thought if anything would get him back riding it would be Merry. But even that couldn’t persuade him. And Esme and I know that he loves it. It would be an enjoyable activity for him, I’m sure. It might even help him face his grief."

Bilbo nodded. "Yes, you’re right. That does sound like an excellent idea. Thank you, Saradoc."

"Not a problem, Bilbo. In fact, I have the perfect pony for him. Would you be interested in purchasing one for him?"

"That might be a good idea. I will do that. You can send it the day before our birthday to the Ivy Bush here in Hobbiton. Thank you again, Saradoc. I hope this will work."

"So do I. It will be good, I think, if he has something to care for."

"Yes. You look weary, Sara. I could do with a wink of sleep myself. Goodnight, then!"

"Goodnight, Bilbo. And thank you for your hospitality."

"Think nothing of it!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

THE END....No, I’m only teasing. TBC...

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List