Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Crickhollow March 1420  by Anso the Hobbit

PART TWO: Another Accident

The next morning Merry woke stiff and sore and winced as he stretched his body and tried to remember what had caused his muscles to behave like this. Then he remembered the wagon and the heavy things they first had put into it then unloaded and he groaned when thinking about all the firewood he would have to spend the day chopping. The wood came from the Hall in long logs and would have to be chopped in at least four to be small enough to be put on the fire. The woodsmen had sawed the wood but those who got it had to chop themselves. There was a system to which trees were allowed to be chopped down and when so that the forest wasn’t thinned out too much. Merry had overseen the work several times and was always happy to see how gently and graceful the woodcutters treated the trees, knowing that they too were living creatures. He couldn’t help but think of the Ents and hoped that none of the trees they used for firewood or hole-building were related to the Ents or even an Entwife. Treebeard had after all told Merry and Pippin to look out for them in the Shire.

“Breakfast’s ready! Get up you slowcoach.” Berilac’s cheerful voice said. There was a knock on Merry’s door and he almost jumped out of bed when he heard it. Was it that late? He looked out of the window and saw a pale winter sun pouring a white light down on him through the opening in the curtains. It did not look as cold as it had been the day before and the sun felt slightly warming. How long had he been sleeping? He rose and hastily but meticulously washed and dressed. His thoughts flew to Pippin and on his way to the kitchen he knocked softly on his cousin’s door and peered in.

“Morning, Pip,” he ventured softly in case Pippin still slept.

Pippin stirred and blinked at him. He had been sleeping then. “Morning.”

“How are you?” Merry opened the door and went over to Pippin’s window to draw the curtains back.

Pippin coughed and took a deep but tentative breath. “I’m fine.”

Merry looked him over and nodded when he was pleased with what he saw. "Ready for breakfast then?"

Berilac was waiting with the table groaning with food when they arrived five minutes later. Pippin had dressed in breeches and a shirt now but in his haste to get to the table forgot to comb his curls and they stood about his head wildly. "Good morning, sleepyheads," Berilac smiled and served them tea and toast as they sat down.

“You didn’t have to do this,” Merry said swallowing a lovely bit of bacon and toast.

“Why not? Did you want me to starve while waiting for you two to get up and wait on me?" Berilac put on a look of mock indignation and shook his head laughing. "No thank you, Cousin." They all laughed at this and tucked in hungrily.

“So, Pip,” Merry said when they had slowed down and was filling up the corners with continuing the meal with going right into elevenses as the day was getting on. "What are your plans for today? Do you feel up to do being up and about?"

Pippin put his tea cup down and rose to put on another kettle and stretched. “Yes, I believe so. I thought I'd take a ride and get some fresh air."

“That sounds like a good idea,” Merry said. “It looks like this might be a rather warm day, and I'd wouldn't say no to some sun and warmth."

“True. Do you want to join me?"

“No, thanks, I think I will get started on that pile of firewood we brought home yesterday.”

“Oh,” Pippin said. "I should help you then. I wasn’t aware we were running out already."

“Don’t worry about that. You go take that ride. Just cover up and pull a scarf over your mouth so you don’t get too much cold air down your lungs."

“Yes Mama,” Pippin said and stuck his tongue out at Merry. Berilac laughed.

“You two are impossible,” he said. “One wouldn't think that you are Knights and heroes capable of great deeds." He laughed again and got out another crook of jam.

****

When Merry was satisfied that Pippin had dressed warmly enough for a ride he pulled on a woollen jacket of his own and went out into the barn to start on the wood. They only had one axe and Berilac stayed inside to prepare luncheon while Merry chopped. He would help him put the wood away after they ate and if Pippin was back before they were finished he could help too, Merry decided.

Merry felt some of the tension that had build up while Pippin was ill leave his body as he chopped the logs, but the uneasy feeling from yesterday seemed to have settled in his stomach. He thought about what might have caused it but no matter how much he searched his mind he could not find a good reason for why he should feel this way. Pippin hadn’t been seriously ill and the nightmares seemed to have left with the cold. Merry hadn't had nightmares himself for several weeks and was beginning to hope that maybe they were dissolving and perhapse even gone for good. He was surprised and a little hurt that his father had sent Berilac to look out for them, but he shrugged it off as the overly careful ways of his mother rubbing of on his father and that he had given into her concerns and sent Berilac with them. Not that Merry minded having him there, he was good company and had been a great help with the things they had brought. Still, Merry couldn't help worrying a bit over his parents concern for him and Pippin. Surely they didn't need looking after like that!

Merry looked at the pile he had chopped, wondering if it would be enough for the next few days. He had promised to go back to the Hall with Berilac today unless Pippin was worse. Just as he lifted the axe for chopping a particularly large log, he heard Pippin's pony come back at the same time as Berilac shouted from the door to their house that luncheon was ready in a few minutes. Merry slammed the axe downwards just as the door opened and Pippin and the pony entered. Light poured through the door and the low sun instantly blinded Merry so he didn't see where he hit. He felt the axe falling. It fell too far to hit the log it was supposed to hit and startled Merry let go, hoping to avoid chopping his toes off. The axe still had its momentum and for a moment he felt time stand still as he watched the axe fall towards the ground. He wasn’t fast enough and time cruelly jerked him back to normal speed as the axe fell hard down on his toes, hitting him with the side of the blade. Merry howled and stumbled into Pippin who lost the pony's reins when he heard Merry's scream. The pony bolted forward and almost hit Merry in the head with a hoof as Merry fell to the ground with both hands gripping the injured foot. He fell flat on his back and lay panting for a moment, squeezing his eyes shut with pain before he gingerly sat up.

“Merry!” Pippin shouted and bolted after the pony. “Hold on!” He caught the reins again and got her into her stall. Pippin hastily fastened the door so the pony couldn’t escape and ran back to Merry. Merry had opened his eyes now and sat scowling at the offended appendage, his face white and tight with pain.

“Phew! That was close!” Pippin said and sat down beside him, reaching a tentative hand out to touch the hurt foot. "You could have lost your toes!"

“Merry? Pippin?” Berilac came into the barn too and looked around for them until his eyes fell on them where they still sat on the floor. “I..." He started saying something but stopped as soon as he saw Merry's pined face and the foot he still clutched in both hands. "What happened?"

“Later," Pippin said and hoisted Merry to his feet. "What matters is that we get him inside and get that foot cooled down. We could have brought you to the Brandywine, that should still be cold enough, but it's too far so we'll have to make do with what we can manage from here. Berilac, did you bring any ice blocks from the Hall?"

Berilac shook his head. “Were we supposed to?“

“Yes, Merry should have remembered. The water in the well have to suffice then. Would you mind pulling up a fresh bucket?" He put one of Merry's arms around his shoulders and gestured to Berilac to do the same. Together they helped Merry into the house and to the parlour. There they sat him down in a chair and Pippin pulled a low footstool up to rest his foot on. Berilac dashed out to the well and pulled up a fresh bucket of water, then ran into the kitchen and soon came back with several towels dripping of cold water.

“Here, Pip. Wrap his foot in those. I need to save the luncheon from burning to cinders." Berilac ran back into the kitchen and Merry and Pippin could hear him scramble about with pots and pans. A minute or two later he was back with a large basin filled with cold water. In the meantime Pippin wrapped Merry's foot and was now trying to get Merry's attention. “Are you all right, Cousin?” But Merry didn’t answer, only hissed in pain when he touched his foot.

“Is there any willow bark? We should make him a tea for that pain. If nothing else is wrong with his foot he'll at least be sore and bruised for days to come."

“I don’t think there’s any left,” Pippin said. “Merry said something about it while I was sick."

“Do you know how to make it?”

“No. Merry is the one who knows that sort of things. He’d be a good healer I think if he wasn’t destined to be Master.”

“Merry? Since when did he take such an interest in plants and herbs?”

“Oh, didn’t you know? He and Sam always dug in the earth together when Merry was in Hobbiton, and he learned quite a few things during our travels. The new King is a healer and he travelled with us for some time."

“I hear there is a story to be told here, but that’ll have to wait,” Berilac said and watched as Pippin finished wrapping up Merry’s foot. “We’ll just have to get him drunk then. ‘Tis the second best thing.”

“I suppose so. The brandy's over there," Pippin said and nodded towards a small table then turned back to Merry. “Merry?”

"One thing’s for certain Merry,” Berilac said as he put the basin down by Merry’s chair. “You’re not going with me back to the Hall tonight. If Uncle Sara that urgently wants to talk to you he'd better come here." He lifted Merry's leg and Pippin took the footstool away and put a towel on the floor before putting the basin there and helping Merry to put his injured foot in it. “Merry?”

Both Berilac and Pippin had stopped talking now and looked at Merry, exchanging worried glances when he didn’t answer. “Mer?” Pippin rose and gently touched his face. This seemed to revive Merry of his stupor and he looked up with eyes brimming with tears from the pain. He shifted a little and hissed again.

“I’m sorry. It hurts so much I can’t think,” Merry said between clenched teeth.

“Do you think anything is broken?” Pippin asked worriedly. He was happy he hadn’t had time to put the pony away properly yet in case he would have to ride to the Hall for the healer or the missing ice.

“No. But it hurts too much for me to manage to move my toes." Merry tried wriggling his toes but only paled and hissed louder.

“All right, Merry. You just sit still and let the water do its business. We’ll check how it looks in a while." Pippin said soothingly and patted Merry’s shoulder.

“What happened?” Berilac asked again.

“I…” Merry tried to gather his thoughts and looked from Pippin to Berry and back again. “I was chopping wood when Pippin came in. I think the sun must have blinded me for I couldn't see where I hit and when I discovered that the axe was aiming for my foot and not the log it was like time froze but I didn’t move quickly enough and it fell right down on me."

The others looked from Merry's still bandaged finger to the foot in the basin and back to his face. "Are you sure you're all right, Cousin?" Berilac said concerned.

Merry nodded and aimed for a smile. “Of course I am." He looked down at his foot, heaving a sigh of relief as if it was only now that he discovered that he actually had all five toes intact.

Berry,” Pippin whispered, “get the brandy, will you?”

Berilac nodded and rose to pour a generous glass which he gave to Merry. "Drink up, Cousin, it will help."

“What, drinking at this hour of the day?” Merry jested but took the glass with a grateful glance at Berry. "It could have chopped my toes off," he said quietly after taking a generous drink. The foot hurt more than he would ever have imagined possible and he was more than happy to drink brandy at this hour of the day if it would help take the pain away.

“Yes,” Pippin said equally quiet. When Merry didn't continue but looked more and more lost in his thoughts Pippin spoke up again. "What's wrong? You can talk to me." He looked Merry in the eye and reached for his right hand. It felt cold.

“It's nothing," Merry said dismissively and took his hand out of Pippin's grasp. He held Pippin’s gaze and shook his head minutely before looking up at Berilac, who was just then checking how Merry's foot was faring in the cold water and not looking directly at them, and mouthed "later". He lifted the glass with his left hand and took another sip and winced as Berilac unwound the towels. "Pip, get yourself some brandy. If I have to sit here like an old gaffer than do me the curtsey of keeping me company."

Pippin smiled but went to pour a brandy for himself also then turned to Berilac. "Is it bad?"

“I don't think so,” Berilac said, and Merry leaned forward, peering down at his swollen appendage. "I would stay off it for a day or two if I were you though."

“Do you think we should get the healer?”

"Not unless Merry thinks so, but if it gets worse or the pain is too much to bear then you should do that." Berilac looked at Merry for approval of this and Merry nodded. He stood and stretched his back. "Well then, I think we'll eat lunch in the parlour today. That way Merry won't have to move."

*****

Despite the throbbing in his foot Merry managed to eat somewhat hungrily but his thoughts churned around the same subject as earlier: Why this unease? It wasn't like him to be so unfocused. Merry knew he always tried his best to be calculated and careful in his movements when dealing with dangerous tools like knives and axes. He had seldom cut himself before, and never as deep as the cut throbbing away in his finger now. He looked down at the cloth wrapped around it. He had changed it several times since yesterday as it had bled quite a bit but it seemed to have stopped now.

Could it be that he simply was tired? But no, that didn't make sense either. It was the sun that had startled him when he lost the axe and it was his own lack of concentration that made him cut his finger instead of the carrot, wasn't it? He looked back down at his hands. The right hand did feel a bit numb and he rubbed at it absentmindedly. He had felt it earlier and he had gripped the shaft on the axe a bit too tight but he could flex his fingers and feel the rubbing so it was still far from completely numb. Now he wondered if it could be something else, but what? He hadn't had nightmares for weeks and looking after Pippin hadn’t stressed him so much that it could justify feeling the cold creeping up his arm again. Merry was none the wiser a little later when he heard his name being called repeatedly and found both Berilac and Pippin staring at him in concern.

“Merry!” Pippin said a bit louder when Merry hadn’t answered his two first attempts at getting his attention. “Are you really sure you’re all right? You look pale." He put a comforting hand on Merry's right hand and frowned a little.

“Yes, yes," Merry answered a bit too impatiently and drew his hand back to cradle his mug of tea in it. He could feel the warmth seeping through the mug and into his hand.

Pippin shook his head again and Berilac looked from one to the other with a confused look in his eyes.

Knowing that he had to give some sort of explanation Merry sighed. “I’m a bit tired perhaps." Berilac frowned but seemed to accept this and the conversation turned to other topics for a while, something Merry was immensely grateful for.

“Perhaps you should take a nap? It's hard work almost getting ones toes cut off." He rose and refilled Merry's glass of brandy.

Merry thought about that. He didn’t feel sleepy but he had just said he was tired. The pain in his foot would probably keep him from falling asleep though. “I‘m not sure I could sleep just now, Berry, but thank you.”

*****

“I’d better head back to the Hall,” Berilac said when they had finished filling up the corners and he and Pippin sat enjoying a pipe and replenishing Merry’s brandy and now and again changing the water in the basin. Merry had started to giggle now and seemed a lot happier with things. He was wavering a bit in his chair and humming softly to himself. "Take care now, the both of you,” Berilac said and patted Pippin’s arm encouragingly. He didn’t envy him having a hung over Merry to battle in addition to the foot to care for.

“We will,” Merry giggled then sobered a bit. "Thank you for helping me with the wagon and everything,” he said as Pippin rose to walk Berilac out. He winked and smiled "even if you did have ulterior motives for your visit.” He giggled some more, “I hope you found that Da’s suspicions were wrong so you can confirm to our family that we are doing just fine."

Berilac laughed. “Merry! Do you honestly think that your parents would feel at ease when they learn that you can't use a simple kitchen knife or chop wood?"

“I do!” They all laughed at that but the uneasy knot in Merry's stomach tightened a little. What would his parents think? Oh well, he didn't have to think about that just now. There was more brandy in his glass and the pain was almost bearable now. Thankfully Berilac would leave thinking everything was fine with them and that he only had a bit of an accident with the knife. Besides, there was a perfectly sound explanation for the incident with the axe Merry thought drunkenly and looked down into his glass in hope of finding the answers to his questions there. He asked Berilac to give their family his love and waved overly cheerfully when Pippin followed Berilac out. Merry could hear them talk a bit in the hallway before the door closed behind them and Pippin came back, looking sober and worried. "Don't worry about me hitting myself with that axe was your fault Pip. You couldn't know that I was chopping wood just where you would come in with the pony.”

Pippin startled a bit at hearing this but smiled reassuringly. “No worries, Mer. I didn’t think that.” Pippin started to clear the table and went to and from the kitchen a few times before he spoke again.

“He doesn’t believe you, you know,” Pippin sat down beside Merry and took up his pipe again. “He asked me if you really were all right and I had a hard time explaining to him that you just are a bit tired. You have been busy with the planting plans lately and riding constantly between the Hall and here and he knows that so it should satisfy his curiosity for now. And almost chopping your own toes off can give the calmest of hobbits a shock." Pippin finished.

“Thank you, Pip.” Merry said and meant it. He really was grateful for what Pippin did for him. “I don’t know what I would do without you.”

Pippin looked at him for a long time before he nodded. "You're welcome," he said softly and shook his head fondly. “My silly Merry.” They sat in silence for a bit before Pippin spoke again. "However," he said sternly and looked Merry straight in the eye, “You are not” and he emphasised the word with pointing the stem of his pipe at Merry’s chest "doing as well as you want everyone to believe. You are gloomy and your hand is cold. You're drunk and you look worn so I won't bother you with questions now, but tell me this; have you been having nightmares lately that you haven’t told me about?"

“No.” Merry said truthfully and shook his head vigorously, knowing full well that he never could fool Pippin.

“Well, thank the stars for small blessings!” Pippin put down his pipe and reached out and gathered Merry in a tight embrace. "Let’s take a nap. I'm beat and you need one too. The washing up won't go anywhere." Pippin coughed deeply and Merry was sober enough to remember that Pippin still was at least a little sick.

“Oh, Pippin!” Merry said and instinctively felt Pippin's face for fever as they hugged. "I am sorry. Let's get you back to bed before that cold gets any worse."

Pippin helped Merry to his feet and managed to get him into bed and tuck a blanket in around him. Merry was asleep before Pippin had closed the door behind him.

________________

A/N: Thanks to Rabidsamfan and Nilmandra for help and info regarding herbs and their use.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List