Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Fields of Gold  by Levade

In Chapter I we saw Glorfindel being told to vacate Imladris and stop badgering Elrond. Thus, we continue Glorfindel's tale of exile. Thank you, Nilmandra, for the beta!

Chapter II: Wonder as I Wander

~*~*~

"Will your brothers escort you then?"

Arwen paused from packing, grey eyes much like her father's going to the figure seated on the window box. It was amusing to her that one so renowned for his prowess on the battle field should be so comfortable in a ladies' sitting room, seated amongst the scattered bits of her outfits. It had always been thus; Glorfindel was as an uncle to her and her brothers, and nothing seemed to faze him. Then again, she'd heard tales of him refusing to hold the newborn twins for some unreasonable fear of hurting them, but she was much younger than her brothers. Her earliest memories of the golden-haired elf were of sitting in his lap, ear pressed to his chest, listening to his voice rumble in his chest. For Arwen, her father and Glorfindel had always represented security. They were rocks: steady, weathering the years with hardly a scratch, and seemingly would do so forever.

"No." Tossing aside a deep blue velvet gown, she sat on a lounge. "Will you speak to them before you leave? I worry for them, Glorfindel...and for Adar, should anything happen to them."

He nodded, frowning. "We all do, Undómiel. They are not entirely sane right now, either of them, but ..." Sighing, Glorfindel moved his feet, careful not to step on any of the gowns scattered as though a wind storm had blown into the room. "...they do not ride alone."

"Rangers?"

"Yes." His gaze lingered on Arwen, the jewel of Imladris. Was this right, letting her go, now of all times, to Lothlórien? To travel the very track that had led her mother to such suffering? "Take this." He pulled a sheath from his boot, holding it out to her. "Carry it with you at all times on the journey. I taught you to defend yourself, Undómiel, and you honed those skills on your brothers, but with them you showed mercy." He leaned forward to clasp her hand as she slowly accepted the weapon. "Orcs will not be so kind. We have sheltered you here, protected you from the harsher things of life, but I see your father's tenacity in you. Use this if you must and show no pity, Arwen."

As the larger, strong hands squeezed hers, Arwen bit her lip and looked at Glorfindel for a long moment. He had bounced her on his knee when she had been a baby, and often was worse than any when it came to protecting her from harsh things, but Glorfindel had also shown her how to shoot a bow and wield a knife. It was he who had taken her to the pells and shown her where best to strike an enemy and driven it into her head that while she was not allowed to ride out as her brothers did, she was expected to know how to defend herself and her realm if it came to that.

Arwen was no wilting daisy. "I will not suffer my naneth's fate, Glorfindel." Voice quiet she drew her hands back and pulled the dagger to examine the silver blade. Slipping the blade home in the sheath, she met Glorfindel's gaze and let the worry in her own show. "Adar will be all right, won't he?" She suddenly looked much younger, anxiety stripping away the sophisticated poise. "He's not..."

"He will be fine in time, Undómiel. He grieves, but not to death." Standing, searching for a clear path, Glorfindel leaned over to kiss her forehead. "Be wary, bright star. I know you chafe at times under our burdensome protection, but we would not lose you to the same fate as your mother."

Gazing solemnly up at him, she nodded. "I'll stay with the escort." A pert smile curved her lips. "And I have the bow Adar gave me."

She was much like her father, a fact that always reassured Glorfindel. "See that you do. Oh, and..." Bending, he picked up a blood red gown, pursing a lip as he held it up. "...you certainly will brighten the lives of the Galadrim with that."

Snatching it out of his hand, she swatted his arm. "Leave it be!" At the arched entry to the room, she plucked at his sleeve and Glorfindel stopped, turning with one eyebrow arched in a silent question. "You be careful as well, Gofi."

Huffing at the nickname the children all loved to tease him with, Glorfindel gave her a mock glare. She giggled and he capitulated, sweeping a gallant bow before leaving the room.

~*~*~

Erestor was next on his mental list of people to check on before leaving. No doubt Elrond's Chief Councilor would be thrilled to have him out of his way for a while. The raven haired, dark-eyed Noldo was organized to the smallest detail and kept the household running so smoothly everyone took him for granted.

Just as well, since Erestor was not afraid to remind everyone just how much *he* did.

It amused Glorfindel endlessly to do small things to annoy the other. In bad weather, he tromped in from the practice fields wearing muddy boots and dropped his wet cloak over the Noldo’s chair. Days he worked in the stables, he would meander into Erestor's office, smelling of horse and leaving horse hair on the gorgeous burgundy cushions of the councilor's chairs.

Erestor was delightfully predictable in his ranting.

Breezing into Erestor's office, Glorfindel picked up a stack of papers and dumped them on a low table, freeing up the chair he always took when visiting- the same one Erestor tried to keep occupied with all manner of things. Ignoring the annoyed huff, Glorfindel sat and grinned. "You'll be pleased to hear I'm leaving."

"Forever?"

Was that dismay in the dark eyes? Surely not. It was gone before he could be certain, replaced with overt relief. "Thank the Valar! I'm sure your family in Valinor will be pleased to have you home again."

"No doubt, however I'm only going to Mithlond." With nonchalant disregard for the highly polished surface of the desk before him, Glorfindel rested his boot on the edge of the desk and peered at a minute scuff before raising his gaze to Erestor's. "I know you'll miss me, but try not to schedule yourself into oblivion before I return, hmm?"

"I had no idea you cared." The sarcasm was unmistakable as Erestor leaned forward to shove the boot off his desk. "Farewell, safe journey then." He bent his head to the papers before him.

Chuckling, Glorfindel slouched deeper into his chair and didn't move. "I simply don't want to have to take over your duties when you collapse, Erestor."

The dark haired elf snorted, but didn't look up.

"Erestor, one last thing." The jesting tone was gone, and he waited until Erestor looked up. Glorfindel knew it didn't have to be said, they had long ago agreed on this task, but doing so was a gesture in trust. "I know you will watch over him but if he falls in despair --"

"Glorfindel, I assure you," the dark eyes gleamed as Erestor looked at his friend. "You will know as soon as is possible should that happen." Dipping his quill in the ink pot, he paused and arched an eyebrow. "What, still here?" The eyebrow rose higher, dark eyes widening as Glorfindel rose and bowed, before turning to leave, not even leaving the door open, but shutting it quietly.

~*~*~

Packing his saddlebags was easily done, and it was only mid-day when Glorfindel rode out of the valley. Finding the twins was a bit harder than tracking anyone down in Imladris, but he had helped train those two and knew many of their tricks. He'd rode and fought with the Rangers many times and knew best where to go looking for them, though they were like grey ghosts in the forests and not easily found.

Just at twilight, he picked up a faint trail and followed it. It led to a thick stand of old woods where a group of human men were gathered. Watching them silently for a time, Glorfindel watched as the twins slipped out of the deepening shadows, dropped down from a tree, and sauntered towards him.

"Look here, brother!" Elladan crowed, well-pleased. "Our old mentor spying on us."

"You did well." He nodded to them, approval showing in his smile. "I only spotted you as you moved into the last trees."

"I told you that was too close." Elrohir hit his twin's shoulder, earning a non-committal grunt. "What brings you out here? Boredom? Or has Adar sent you away again for pestering everyone?"

Shooting a look of mock annoyance at the younger of the two, Glorfindel shook his head. "We'd best alert your companions to my presence before they come seeking to fill me with arrows."

Elladan caught his brother's gaze and nodded. In other words, Glorfindel didn't want to talk about it yet. "They'll be happy to see you again."

Elrohir nodded, stroking the nose of Glorfindel's horse as it lipped his tunic. "It's been some time since you rode with them."

"There was much to do." And he would not leave their father's side until he deemed it safe, everyone knew that. Loyalty and honour might have sent their family this guardian, but the twins knew it was love that bound him.

As predicted, the Rangers were happy to welcome the blonde elf, introducing him to several of the younger men who had not ridden with them in previous years. It wasn't long before Glorfindel was regaling them all with a wild tale of Beleriand as they sat around the fire eating.

They traded stories, men and elves, late into the night, until some sought their bedrolls. When only the three elves were left to keep the watch, Glorfindel spoke to them in quiet Quenya. His words were for them only, and he would not have the Rangers think he was berating the younger elves if indeed any could hear him, for he spoke so softly as to carry only to the twins ears.

"Will you be gone long then?"

"I do not know as yet." Glorfindel met first one's gaze, then the others. "Your sister leaves to visit your grandparents in a day or so. It might ease your father's mind, and your grandparent's as well, if you accompanied her." He squeezed Elrohir's shoulder as the younger twin sighed. "I know it is hard, Elrohir."

"Just...being there, in Imladris, is ..." The younger elf shook his head, grey eyes almost silver in the moonlight. "Everywhere are reminders of Naneth."

Elladan moved so that his shoulder touched his twin. "We've done much to cleanse the trail between Imladris and the pass over Caradhras." He met Glorfindel's gaze, frowning. "Is Adar ordering us home?"

"No." He almost smiled at the defiance in the young elf’s gaze. "I only wanted to find you and let you know about your sister, Adi."

Nodding, mouth still a touch surly, Elladan relaxed his tense shoulders. "We could accompany her."

"And see Daernaneth and Daeradar again?" Elrohir nodded slowly. "It might be a comfort to them as well."

It didn't surprise Glorfindel when Elladan simply shrugged. The twins looked identical to those who did not know them, but for all their similarities they were very different. Elrohir had always been far more sensitive to emotions, tempering his fiery brother. "We'll return to escort sister at dawn."

"And where do you go, Gofi?" Elrohir's smile was teasing. "Going to while away some time in Mithlond?"

Elladan snorted, joining in the teasing. "Why don't you just ask her to stay in Imladris and save all the jaunting to Mithlond?" He pretended to consider the thought, ignoring the glare pinned on him. "Then again, seeing the real you might be entirely too shocking..."

"Oh, no..." Glorfindel turned them with a hand on their shoulders, giving each a push forward. "My personal life is not up for discussion, younglings, and most certainly not when on watch."

"Right." Snorting, Elladan nodded to his brother, and drifted into the forest.

"Send her my greetings, Gofi." With a wink, Elrohir disappeared in the opposite direction of his brother, leaving the elda alone.

Shaking his head, Glorfindel took up the third direction, melting quickly into the silence of the dark woods.

~*~*~

"That's the fourth one washed up in a ten-day period."

Bronwe knelt next to Círdan, reaching out to stroke the grey and black feathers of the dead bird. She shook her head as she examined the carcass. "I don't see any wounds, nor broken bones."

"It was a young bird." Gazing out at the ocean he loved so deeply, the shipwright shook his head, silver hair catching to float on the breeze. "What is killing them?"

"You've not found any seals?" Wiping her hands in the sand and dusting them together, the healer sighed. "Could a group of whales have wandered into the Gulf again?"

"No seals this far from the quays and dunes, and no...I've not seen any whales except in the open sea." Standing, Círdan pursed a lip. "Be careful, Bronwe. If some illness is killing these creatures we might not have to worry...."

She nodded. "But my human patients would not fare as well. I will."

"Let me know if you see or sense anything odd, or if anyone comes to you with strange stories." Frowning, the lord of the Grey Havens stroked his beard.

Shivering as the breeze puffed against her, Bronwe rubbed her arms. "Should we warn the men at least? Not to eat the fish?" The plague, though it had been nearly a millennium ago as humans counted time, was still vivid in her mind. Too many had died throughout Eriador, and she would not see it happen again for a lack of warning.

Círdan shook his head. "No...we don't want to alarm them needlessly and fisher folk are already superstitious enough." He stretched his senses out, trying to discern if there was illness in the waters of the gulf. "I sense nothing amiss."

"I need to get back." Leaning forward to place a quick kiss on the ancient elf's cheek, she squeezed his arm. "Glorfindel sent word that he's coming for a visit."

"Oh?" Silver eyes twinkling in amusement now, he titled his head. "And you dressed in one of your oldest gowns?" Tsk'ing, he sighed, pretending to ignore her indignant stare. "Bronweya, if you truly want to impress the lad..."

"Stop right there." Bronwe rolled her eyes, well aware that one of Círdan's favourite games was to tease her about eligible males. "How long have I known him? Haven't we been but friends the entire time?"

"Child...." Now he chuckled, lifting a hand to stroke back a lock of nut brown hair. "How long ago did you and Arantar break your betrothal? And since then..." Círdan sighed, seeing that she was not going to listen. "Let me know when he arrives. It will be good to see him again."

With a nod, and a half-hearted smile, she turned and walked back up the beach, towards the wooden walks that led back into the haven.

~*~*~

Bronwe had just returned from gathering herbs and roots in the forest when she heard the shouting. It was coming from near the market where the fishermen sold their catch every day. A small group of humans and several elves had gathered, staring at the dunes just beyond the wooden walkways. Not far from the dunes the trees grew large and the forest deepened. Often the seals came close to the market, attracted by the smell of fish. Usually they were content to sun themselves near the dunes and rocks, ignoring the humans.

Unless they were offered food.

"It's there! It bit my son and went back in!"

"They normally are happy to be left alone, on the shore of the sea. Are you certain the boy did not try to touch or feed it?"

Walking over to stand next to the elf speaking, Bronwe saw a young boy huddled against the skirts of the woman who had shouted. He was holding his bleeding hand to his chest, and whimpering. "What happened?" Speaking quietly, she met the woman's angry gaze.

"A seal bit my son. Damrod was just curious and knew no better. He only wanted to see it closer, but he did not touch it!" The mother glared at the two elven marchwardens.

"May I see?" At a nod from the mother, Bronwe knelt, smiling softly at the boy. She spoke quietly, but loud enough to for the child to hear as the crowd continued to speak to the other elves. "Were you curious about how its skin felt, Damrod?"

The child nodded, sniffing.

"I see it." Failon glanced at his companion. Both were Silvan, fair of hair and eyes, and often patrolled this side of the city so near their beloved woods. "It does not look well."

Thalos spread his hands. "Milady, the animal is most likely sick. It has not retreated to the sea and is alone."

A low growl and rustling from the tall sea grass near the dunes drew everyone's attention back to the creature. It was making odd gurgling noises and lay on its side, making no effort to get back to the sea. Failon grimaced and moved forward, singing softly.

"What will they do to it?" Damrod bit his lip, tentatively holding out his hand to the healer. He knew her from a previous visit when he'd fallen from a tree and broken his arm. She was gentle and had made it stop hurting. "Will they kill it?" He'd seen a horse killed once when it had broken a leg.

Bronwe glanced at Failon who was still singing softly, quieting the sick creature which began to moan piteously. The sound was wrenching, reminding the elves that darkness was ever spreading over the lands that had once known no blight. "I think they must, Damron, so that it will not suffer or bite anyone else." The animal was already too sick to be helped, she could see that as Failon moved suddenly, holding the seal's head and twisting up and to the side, hard and fast. The creature didn't even blink or gasp, but fell slack as the elf gently laid its body on the ground.

"I am sorry." Failon looked up at the crowd, eyes sad. "He was quite ill and could not return to the sea." He ran a hand down the seal's body. "It feels as though he might have been thrown against the rocks. Perhaps by the high tides during our last storm."

"Or a whale hunting it." Thalos turned to the healer. "Bronwe, you'll treat the child?"

Bronwe nodded, meeting the mother's worried gaze. "If you'll come with me?"

"Nana..." The boy, trembling now, reached for his mother. "You won't let them snap my neck, will you?"

"Damron!" Scooping her son up with a forced smile, the mother cuddled him close. Her gaze went to the healer, who now stood. "Of course not."

Bronwe nodded, meeting the frightened gaze. "We'll need to wash it out and wrap the wound, but I believe he'll be fine."

"We'll take care of this." Failon nodded as they passed and his companion shrugged.

"That's all, my good people. Let's get back to business!" A city guard, dressed in a dark blue uniform, made a shooing gesture. "Go on, let the wardens do their job and get back to yours, eh?"

~*~*~

Winter had yet to release the land and it was chilly, a breeze blowing in off the ocean, carrying with it a thick bank of dense fog that crept in over the hills and trees. Bronwe walked through the garden behind her cottage to the ancient pines that stood as silent sentinels, smiling at the fog swirling around her. Leaning against one of the trees, she sighed, and looked up.

It was too foggy to see the stars from the ground, but up in the boughs....

With hardly a thought, she leaped up, grabbed the lowest branch and was soon high up in the branches, comfortably seated on a limb, leaning against the trunk. The view here was always spectacular, and she sighed in contentment, watching the fog slowly creep up the coastline, obscuring the gulf in a blanket of silvery grey.

Lifting her eyes to the stars, the healer relaxed and let her mind wander, safe in the embrace of the old pine.

~*~*~

TBC

Thank you for reading! :)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List