Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

(A/N: I am so, so sorry it's taken me so long! But I've been hijacked by the World Cup -- Allez Zizou! -- and find myself rather more occupied than before, considering it's summer, and all the munchkins are out of school tormenting me. Please accept my most humble apologies, and for those Yanks reading, Happy Independence Day! -- Le Rouret)

Well, O Little Ones, my dear friends; I have rested, and supped, and drunk, and am though rather bruised about my parts in better state than I have been in many days, so I think I might gird myself and tell to you the events that have occurred to me in your absence. I shall begin, dear ones, with the moment Brytta left me; for I guess he has told you already what occurred before, how Lirlindil – the stars bless his memory; my poor dear friend! – and I did breach Bréawine’s keep, and after hunting round and overhearing conversations not meant for our ears, released good Brytta here, and flying with Bréawine’s men upon our heels were overcome. And yes, O Bandobras my dear, has Brytta informed me of my Piukka’s demise, the poor stubborn beast! When I told my good destrier to bear Brytta to Meduseld I did not think me he should run himself to death, but I was rather distracted at the time I’ll admit, so it is not so surprising that it should not have occurred to me. ‘Twas only news to Éomer passed through my head – that, and surviving long enough so that Brytta might make an escape. And now what shall Aldamir’s people say that I ride? For twelve years have I been The Green Knight upon his Midnight Destrier – I had best find a steed of like color, so they will not be constrained to re-write their lays. After all it would sound ill to sing The Green Knight upon his Flea-Bitten Gray Destrier would it not?

Very well, Gimli – I shall attempt to stick to the story. But I have been silent for ten days and I am sickening for talk!

Anyway Piukka bore you off, O Brytta, and I turned at bay, firing volley after volley at my pursuers; and when they bore upon me I did draw my sword to strike them down, though I was pierced by two arrows my self; and then one of the men I had shot fell upon me, knocking me to the earth, and my grandsire’s sword fell beneath me. They swarmed over me, though their captain did shout to keep me alive, much to my chagrin; for in place of sword and spear they did strike me with fist and foot and club (no doubt that is how my ribs were broken) so preventing me from raising my sword, which their captain did claim for his own, though he held it as though it burned him, and I hope it did – my grandsire should have been quite angered to know how it ended up, and I am rather glad he is deceased, so that he may not scold me. But I am not trained in the warrior’s arts for naught, and as they sought to bear me away I killed two of them with my legs, breaking their necks – ah, was that a mystery to you, dear friends? Well it is solved now; easy enough to accomplish when one has attained the proper instruction – and ‘twas then a great brute did raise his hammer high, and holding me down they cracked my legs below the knees, so that I should not slay any more of them in that fashion.

Yes, my Bandobras, it hurt very much. Ah, there; do not look so sad; it is over now, and the telling of it does not hurt at all! Good Gimli here has done his work well, and I have no doubt that I shall dance upon the rushes soon enough. That is a pertinent question though, O Brytta; perchance you might lash me upon the horse? I recall Hallas of Lossarnach rode to Amon Din in that fashion, after I had hamstrung him, and he kept his seat during battle well enough. We have rope, O my Bandobras? Good! Let us do that then.

The men were all quite annoyed with me – well, no, Gimli; perhaps “annoyed” is the wrong word, but let us leave it for now – and though they had realized mine immobility were not content to let me suffer in peace but continued to abuse me, jeering me and telling me to beg for mercy – which of course I did not – yes, O Brytta, I suppose I am as well-imbued with pride as the next man! – and finally the captain tired of this sport, and instructed his men to bear me away, which they did with as much violence as such unimaginative people could muster on short notice.

The burned bodies? Ah, that must have occurred after they took me; it explains however the size of poor Lirlindil’s remains. How I dread telling his dear wife! She shall be heartbroken you know; and I know not how I shall keep her from fading; their love was deep and vibrant, and I do fear me she shall find Arda a dry husk with her beloved gone from her.

Where was I? O yes – thank you, Fastred.

They took me back to the keep, which as you know Brytta is a large but quite ugly structure – O it would hurt your Dwarfly sensibilities, Gimli, to see this repulsive pile of rock! – set upon a low stony hill, with all the trees round it burnt to stumps and sticking out of the charred earth like the stubble of a man’s beard. And the gate, Gimli! Why it is nothing more than burnt logs bound together with rope – a child could breach it; it is really shameful; had that been my keep I should have been deeply embarrassed. The bailey is nothing more than a big untidy square with things cast headlong into corners – hay-bales, armor, piles of food plundered from nearby villages – and their poor steeds are set in the dampest corner, so that I am certain their frogs are compromised; I felt very sorry for them, the poor brutes. There is only one drum-tower, and it is not finished yet; it looks like a broken finger making an obscure and obscene gesture at one.

They dragged me to what Bréawine calls his “hall” – why it is nothing more than a dark, smoky, windowless room in a corner by the buttery – Buttery; as though I should dignify it by that name; an open fire and a barrel of sour ale! It is no wonder, my dear Gimli, that Bréawine begged the Dwarves of Aglarond to aid him in the building of his castle; it is disgraceful, truly – and there, seated upon a rough stone seat, which is carven round with signs and runes to discourage ghosts – Yes, dear Fastred; Brytta did disclose to me the nature of these “ghosts;” is that not delicious? – was Bréawine himself, and O how he glared at me! I do think me he was even more annoyed with me than were his soldiers, for naturally he understood the better how much damage I had caused him. But I was feeling quite happy by then, for I had resigned myself to my fate; there was no chance he would let me out of his donjon alive after the acts I had perpetrated against him, and though I regretted greatly not being able to bid my friends good-bye, and thought wistfully of Valinor, I was prepared to meet Námo and receive my just reward, for I have lived a full and virtuous life and have naught to fear in death. So I gave to him a cheerful smile, and bid him good day when his men dumped me rather unceremoniously upon the floor – earth still, and very damp, O Gimli! – and prepared myself for a painful time of it, fixing my mind upon the blessings of the world to come, so that my current discomforts should impel me not to grief.

Curse him? What good would that have done, Andunië? It should have made him smug, thinking me completely vanquished. Well, yes; I concede it would have felt good to call him names, but I shall leave that ‘til our next meeting. I have some choice ones I can use, provided you and Fastred promise to stop up your ears so you do not hear them.

His captain gave unto Bréawine my grandsire’s sword, which he regarded with distaste, and cast aside, the fool; then did he fix me with eye red and furious, and rising to his feet stood so that his boots were inches from my face.

He let loose some rather unfortunate vituperation then upon me, cursing me for the trouble I had caused, and demanding to know where my loyalties lay. I merely smiled, and told him I was an Elf and not subject to the fleeting political whims of mortal men. That disconcerted him, and giving me a sneer he said:

“What is your name then, O Elf?”

“Lirlindil,” lied I, glibly enough, for I did not want to reveal mine identity to him. Well, Fastred, because had he known me for the Lord of Dol Galenehtar he should have realized my knowledge of the doings in your uncle’s court and my proximity to the throne in Gondor; better, I thought, to die with my mouth shut than to induce him to try to pry secrets of me, or worse, hold me hostage! You understand then, my Little One? Ah, good.

He stared at me and said, “You give your name freely enough, Elf.”

“Why should I not?” I asked, shrugging as best I could in my position upon the floor. “My name shall give unto you but little benefit.” And though my arms had been bound behind my back – nay, Brytta, this was before they had dislocated my shoulder – I managed to get my knees up underneath me, so that though I stood not I faced him with chin high and eyes proud. He stared down at me with eyebrows knotted; I do not think he knew ‘til that moment how hardy and flexible the Eldar might be.

He fixed upon his face an evil grin, and spoke to me with silken tones, as one friend to another. “Well since you give to me your name so freely, you perchance may find it profitable to recount to me diverse other tit-bits of information,” he said.

“Perchance not,” I replied dryly. “After all my name is to you quite useless. And besides I would not like to deprive your men of sport.”

“We shall see,” he said. “Have you been at Éomer’s court?”

“I am but a humble scout,” said I. He scowled.

“Who was your companion?”

“A scout, as I.”

“Why did you rescue our betrayer?”

“He looked so uncomfortable, hanging from those irons like that; I am sure it was very hard on his shoulders. I felt sorry for him.” How he glared at me for that! He stepped closer to me and asked:

“Where have you come from? Who is your lord?”

I smiled sweetly. “May I have a glass of wine? I am thirsty.”

He struck me then with the back of his hand, the blackguard. I could feel my mouth fill with blood, and I swayed but did not fall. He was becoming angry.

“Do you not know who I am?” he demanded, striking himself in the chest with his fist. I smiled, and nodded, and spat blood upon his boots, and said: “Bréawine of Rohan, who calls himself ‘lord’ – though you are I deem no better than I.” This angered him, and he struck me again, and this time I fell back to the floor, where I lay as he railed me, demanding to know whence I had come, and under whose orders I had rescued Brytta. Then he called to him his men and told them: “Torment him ‘til he is ready to speak!” And he leant over me with a horrible smile. “I shall let my men soften you up; that will take the edge off your tongue, Dwimmerlaik!”

“Come! We are both gentlemen here; there is no need to resort to name-calling,” I chided him. But just as his men were preparing to lift me, there came into the room another man, beautifully groomed and dressed, and my heart sank, for he knew me, and O how we detested each other at our last meeting! Yes, Fastred – your cousin, Théalof. That answers, does it not, the question as to whether the two of them are allied? But there is more; wait upon it! Théalof stared down at me, his eyes astonished, and then there came over his face a dawning look of smug satisfaction.

“Why look at the gift you have given to me, Lord Bréawine!” he exclaimed, smiling at his companion. “And brought so low too!” He bent over to gloat over me, supercilious and self-satisfied. “The last I saw of you, O Lord of Dol Galenehtar, you were seated upon your glorious throne, gorgeously arrayed and crowned with jewels, and proud and haughty and condescending! O how delightful to see you thus; I am avenged for the ill-treatment you gave to me.”

“Lord of Dol Galenehtar!” exclaimed Bréawine then, and for the first time he looked afraid. “This – this is Legolas of Ithilien? But he did tell me his name was Lirlindil.”

“I lied,” I admitted. “But do not be so dismayed! It is not a habit of mine; I am really rather truthful by nature.” More men were coming in to the room then to see what the pother was, some Rohirrim, but some Dunlendings as well. The Wildmen looked at me as one who sees a ghost, and shrank back against the walls; I suppose they heard tell of me from their brothers who harass Aldamir and had no desire to stir me to wrath, despite my admittedly helpless position upon the floor. It is nice, is it not, to attain to such a reputation? And one man there was, who was not afraid but certainly concerned; taller than his companions, and better-dressed, though still poor and thin. Théalof smiling with disdain at him did draw him forward to gaze upon me, and in this poor man’s eyes was the look of one who does not know which way to turn; he did not seem to me to be brutish and cruel, like Bréawine, nor superior and avaricious as Théalof; though a Dunlending I bethought me he and I would have got on quite well, had we met in less awkward circumstances.

“Errakh-hem, my friend,” said Théalof with a smug smile. “Look at this! Dwimmerlaik to be sure, and of quite noble blood; yet see you how he is brought low by your allies? Truly you now see that you have naught to fear, for if Lord Bréawine can capture and hold such a prize he certainly can fulfill his promises to you!”

“Ah!” I thought; “the Wildmen are not sanguine about these northern upstarts; that shall bode well for Éomer, for they will fight only until they see their allies crumble, and then flee, or surrender.” And I looked upon Errakh-hem with interest, for I had heard much of him and desired to make his acquaintance; he also studied me, torn within I could see, and reluctant to speak.

“If this be truly Legolas of Ithilien we are in grave danger,” said Bréawine growing pale. “For he is friend to kings, who will surely seek revenge upon us if they perceive we have harmed him.”

“O I think not,” said Théalof, waving one hand in dismissal – yes, Andunië, he is quite stupid, is he not? “After all he is but an Elf; it is not as though he were a man as are we! It is the Age of Men, and the loss of one puling Elf-lord shall affect our plans not one whit.”

“Quite true!” said I, nodding. “My seneschal shall do my will even in my death, so removing me from the draughts-board will affect your defeat not one whit.”

Bréawine looked worried, but Théalof sneered at me. “That buffoon!” he said with scorn “O yes, well do I remember his seneschal Galás, my lord, Errakh-hem; he is an idiot, with no more between his ears than a sack of duck-feathers” – Hm? O yes, my Bandobras, certainly you may tell Galás what he said; I am sure he would find it amusing – “We have naught to fear from Elves,” Théalof went on to his conspirators. “The only reason I sought this one’s foreign mind was to keep him from sticking his nose in our business – and now that we have him here, there is naught he can do to impede us any longer!”

“Indeed!” I said. “And did you not come to Dol Galenehtar to find Lord Fastred, and capture him? And were you not definitively discouraged in the perpetration of this nefarious act, though surrounded by your men-at-arms, through the appearance of a lowly maid of my household? It seems to me, O Théalof, that is what my huntsmistress did tell me.” Théalof turned very red then, and Bréawine and Errakh-hem stared at him in amazement; it was as I had suspected part of the tale he had neglected to share with his friends. “And Errakh-hem,” I said; “do you realize Théalof could feed one hundred of your people fresh bread and meat for what he paid to have that torc made, that he wears so proudly upon his neck? It gives one pause, does it not?” Errakh-hem looked troubled, but Théalof had taken enough of me, and struck me in the face with his fist – that is what broke my nose – and taking me by the collar dragged me up so that our faces were inches apart; he was quite angry.

“I came to you to test you, but you are naught but an impediment to me now,” he said, shaking me. “The beautiful Lord Legolas; Lord Legolas the merry! You do not look so beautiful now. To remove you from our world will be a benefit – an honor! Beg for your life, O proud and arrogant lord of Elves!”

“Ah!” said I with satisfaction. “I have been waiting for the opportunity to do this.” And while he stared at me in confusion I braced my shoulders, and then struck him with my forehead upon his own face; it was quite satisfying to hear the crunch that told me I had broken his nose too. He yelped and dropped me, bright blood flowing down his face; and though Bréawine ordered his men to subdue me I saw Errakh-hem chuckling behind his hand ere the boots and fists began their terrible tattoo upon me. “Take him away!” Bréawine was shouting. “Beat him, torment him!” And just then a boot met my head, right behind my ear I believe, and all went black for a while.

When I awoke I was in the selfsame cell in the oubliettes below the keep, O Brytta, in which Lirlindil and I found you; I was quite alone, and hanging from my wrists in cold chains, and my legs being quite useless could not bear my weight, so I was constrained to dangle helplessly there like a freshly-butchered pheasant. But I did not see this was any call for despair, for I was certain they would question me, and when I proved obdurate would slay me, so that I was several steps closer to paradise at any rate. So I began to sing, being made cheerful for having broken Théalof’s nose; and after some time a guard came to see what the noise was; and after staring at me in bewilderment went to fetch his masters. Then did the three men come to me, standing staring at me as I swayed upon the chains behind my bars, and listened to me sing; Bréawine and Théalof regarded me with hatred, but Errakh-hem I could tell was intrigued, for he looked at me as a man who dreams of beautiful things. As they did not speak I saw no reason to interrupt my song, and smiling at them went on – O ‘twas the Lay of Fornost, my Bandobras; I had got only to the twenty-fourth verse, and was well on my way to sing all night, but the men being mortal became impatient, and Théalof came to the bars, and glaring at me bit me hold my tongue.

“But I am not finished,” I protested. “I have forty-six verses yet.”

“Silence, fool!” said Bréawine. “We do not need to hear your bleatings.”

“Pity,” I sighed. “I had not got to the good part yet, when Glorfindel after his death is given new life by the Valar for his bravery.” I winked at Théalof, who was rather bruised about the eyes. “I like the color you are using on your face now,” I said mischievously; “black-and-blue suits you well.”

He snarled, and Bréawine looked with grudging admiration at me. “You do not seem to be much discommoded by being locked in a dungeon,” he said.

“Well,” said I looking round, “it is not much of a dungeon is it? No rats, and no skeletons, and no other prisoners; but then you have not been in the business long, and I perceive this is quite a new oubliette, and you have not perhaps had time to add all those special little touches that make a dungeon truly menacing. Newts, perhaps, or some nice fat spiders – will you need to import them, or do they live round here naturally? Do you know, O emissary of Rohan, you escaped an intimate tour of mine own dungeon by the skin of your teeth, Théalof; it is bigger than Bréawine’s, but rather cleaner, for my guards are tidy and do not like the smell of decay overmuch – it interferes with their enjoyment of the barrels of wine I keep in the cellars for their benefit. My guards are good fellows and watching prisoners such a tedious task; I like for them to be comfortable.”

“You would talk the hind leg off a donkey!” said Bréawine with a smile. “But I guess your loquaciousness ends where useful information begins.”

“Théalof may say I’m a fool,” said I, “and perhaps he is right; but I am not unintelligent.”

“You do not seem to have wits enough to perceive you shall be tormented ere you speak,” said Théalof angrily.

“O no, I figured that out already,” I said cheerfully. “There is no sense in keeping good torturers round if you do not give them ample opportunity to exercise their talents, and I would not want to cause them tedium.”

“Very solicitous of you!” said Bréawine. “Almost do I regret having had my men bring you here; I like you, O Legolas of Ithilien, and lament your torment and demise, for you are a droll fellow; it should be amusing to have you in my courts.”

“I should make you a dangerous jester however,” I said. “Amusing I might be, but remember I am a warrior, and loyal to my friends.”

“We shall see how far your bravery takes you!” said Bréawine carelessly, turning to go. “Come, Théalof – Errakh-hem – the men have brought in venison, and I have ordered a barrel of wine to be breached, to celebrate having brought low so great an opponent! Good-bye, Prince Legolas; I shall send my guards down after they have refreshed themselves, and then we shall get to business.” And he went up the stairs, and Errakh-hem followed, though looking back at me with remorse upon his face; Théalof however could not resist one last jab, and he grinned at me through the bars.

“I shall look forward to hearing you scream for mercy, Wood-Elf,” he said, gloating over me.

I cocked my head at him. “Do you know, you rather resemble Eorl the Young,” I said thoughtfully. “You have the same look about you. Ah, how well I remember him and his people, when they rode down from the fields to the south! Brigands and barbarians the lot of them; we and our mortal neighbors were very glad to see their backs and be rid of them once for all.”

Théalof stared at me, and in his pale eyes I saw the first flicker of fear, which when combined with anger and chagrin is a toxic receipt. Why? Well I assume, my Fastred, that he had not realized until then my great age, and the insignificance in an Elf’s eyes of the doings of Men; he is rather stupid you know, and very narrow-minded. Nay, O Brytta; I remember not the departure of Eorl – I was in north Greenwood at the time, fighting trolls; I did not hear tell of it ‘til many years had passed, and by then his people were but a memory to us. But Théalof believed me, and with a rather wild look upon his face he took leave of me, though he said nothing after, which was a relief, but rude too.

I decided then as I waited for the torment to start to finish my lay, and so I began to sing again; however after only two verses I heard movement upon the stairs, and thought perhaps it were the guards eager to begin; but then I saw peering round the stair-well the face of the Dunlending’s leader, his dark eyes full of fear and confusion. So I ceased my song, and bid him draw near. “For I perceive you are quite trammeled in spirit and seek wise counsel,” said I; “and certes it is you shall receive neither comfort nor wisdom from Bréawine and Théalof, for they are twisty fellows.”

He came forward, with backward glance, his hand ever upon his sword-hilt; he crept up to the bars and with low voice said: “O Green Knight! Many times have you defeated my people, and I have cursed you again and again for coming to Aldamir’s aid; but now I see you and hear you I am confounded, and begin to doubt mine own loyalties, and in truth I know not where to turn!”

“Do you mistrust your friends then?” I asked. Errakh-hem made a face.

“’Friends’!” he said, his voice heavy with contempt. “You wert correct, O Green Knight, to say Théalof could feed my people with naught but his jewelry – he is vain as a peacock, and Bréawine is a fool to trust him I deem.”

I smiled. “But you are in league with them,” I said; “that seems to me to be foolish as well, for I may know things you do not.”

“Tell me then,” begged Errakh-hem. “In truth I care not who is king of Rohan, or whether the Mark be torn in twain – all I want is land for my people, and peace!”

“And think you Bréawine and Théalof can provide you with this?” I asked. “Do you not know they have separately ceded your very lands, given you by my friend King Éomer, to both me and Aldamir? Yes – well may you stare in disbelief! When last I conferred with the Red Knight we were astounded to learn that they viewed those fens as their own property, to be given to us in right, that we might mind our own business.”

Errakh-hem looked very angry, and very frightened too; he leapt to his feet, and began pacing round the oubliette, striking at the air with his fist and cursing. “False – all of them false!” he said, still keeping his voice low for he did not wish to be overheard. “First Éomer – now these two!”

“And how is Éomer playing you false?” I asked.

“Why, he is going to take our lands away as well,” said Errakh-hem fuming. “I saw the letter myself – “

“Really!” said I. “Do you know, my friend, I doubt the legitimacy of that letter as much as I do Théalof’s spurious claims to the throne!” Errakh-hem stared at me and I said: “No – I assure you, good Dunlending; Éomer is a man of his word, and very honorable, and his sister-son Fastred a worthy successor. He has no intentions of taking your lands from you and your people, for he sees the wisdom in letting you be, and preventing further bloodshed.” Errakh-hem did not reply, but seemed to be ruminating; to give him further food for thought I added: “And did you know, O Errakh-hem, that when I rode with my people across the Mering, we were attacked by a group of men dressed as Dunlendings? O yes!” I said in answer to his startled look. “You are ill-informed; I do not believe your friends keep you up to date on the news hereabouts. Rohirrim dressed as Dunlendings came upon us in ambush – you may draw the conclusion as you wish, though I see you are no fool despite your choice of allies, and can see something when it is right before your eyes!”

“I – I do not believe you,” he said flatly. I shrugged as best I could, considering my rather awkward position.

“That is for you to decide,” I said. “But truth be told I do not see what you are getting out of this alliance.”

“Bréawine did promise me part of his lands when the kingdom is split,” said Errakh-hem. “And Théalof said to me that when he ascends the throne at Meduseld he shall open the treasury to us, that we might purchase for ourselves livestock and tools.”

“And tell me, O Errakh-hem,” said I, “how do you think these two men will accomplish their ends? Do you really think Éomer so weak, and so ill-allied?”

“Théalof has got for us allies to the south of Gondor,” said Errakh-hem confidently. “I do not mind telling you this, for I know you will die soon, more’s the pity - you seem a nice fellow, and it is a shame you shall be slain in such a fashion. I would slit your throat myself to spare you this grief, if I did not think I should be cursed to kill one of the Dwimmerlaik.”

“Your solicitude overwhelms me,” I said. “But Errakh-hem, about these allies; if they are in south Gondor how is it they shall come to your aid? Do you not know how far away that is? And have you seen no maps, to tell you what lands lie between?” He stared at me, and I saw he was ignorant; so I said: “The lords Théalof has tricked into alliance, even if they answer his call for aid, must first pass through Minas Tirith, where rules the might of Elessar even in absentia; and then should they press through they shall come upon Faramir Prince of Ithilien, a great captain and a brave and loyal man, and Éomer’s brother-in-law; and then shall they run across my seneschal Galás, who is no fool at all but a wise and dangerous warrior; and even should they pass all these obstacles unhindered must they go through Amon Din – and well you know the might of Aldamir son of Castamir! Think you they shall stand against all these obstacles? And think you my friends who are numbered amongst them – Hallas of Lossarnach, Mardil of Ethring, Araval of Tarlang, Cirien of Langstrand – shall allow them to continue on in their folly, opposing Elessar’s rule? Think you that, O Errakh-hem? You ought know better; you are no fool, but only ill-informed, and over-trusting; Théalof in his arrogance thinks himself safe, but I tell you the truth, Errakh-hem, that the wrath of Elessar shall be great, and he will come down the Greenway anon to find vengeance; and woe betide those who stand in his way!”

Errakh-hem was greatly troubled at my words, and stood for a while staring off into the darkness; I could see he was deep in thought. At last he turned to me, and falling to his knees grasped the bars of my cell; upon his face was a look of terror.

“Help me, O Green Knight!” he begged. “Tell me what I can do! For I am an ignorant and unschooled man; I do not read, and cannot do sums, and know nothing save privation and envy. My people have suffered so already; we are hungry, and homeless, and hated! Have I truly allied myself with liars and cheats? O we are miserable, we Dunlendings; we are harried from land after land, and all hate us where we go! What shall I do? Where shall we go?”

“Go to Éomer!” I said. “Bring your people to him; beg him for clemency. He is not the cruel and heartless man you have been told he is. Go unto him with white flag aloft and offer him your fealty in exchange for his protection. You have been deceived, O my friend; both Bréawine and Théalof are using you to accomplish their own ends, though of the two I think Théalof is the bigger liar.” He looked at me doubtfully, so I repeated: “Go to Éomer! Flee the coming wrath! For even if Théalof and Bréawine succeed in taking Éomer down, and should Elessar delay his return and you find yourselves taking your ease in his absence, shall my Lord Father come down in rage and fury and fire, and join with my people in Dol Galenehtar, and you be destroyed utterly. Would you not rather bring your people to safety in Meduseld, or barring that Aglarond at Helm’s Deep, than to let run the fierce Dwimmerlaik over the fertile fields of this land? For my sire is a warrior of ancient and noble lineage, and he will come to kill not capture. Would you not rather let Bréawine and Théalof face his fury?”

I heard a noise then at the top of the stairs, and said: “Go, and quickly! The guards are returning.”

“But – “ he said; he seemed unwilling to leave me to my fate, as I was unwilling to leave him to his. But I said urgently: “Go! And heed my words, Errakh-hem! Save your people!” And giving me a last frightened look he took to his heels.

Well, the guards returned then, and brought with them clubs and whips; I was relieved to see that they had not yet progressed to the point where they had acquired more sophisticated tools of torment. But truth be told I do not think their hearts were in it; they were uneasy I could tell, and when their captain after a few moments during which I was stripped and flogged went upstairs to report I was still mute, the men exchanged looks, and discussed amongst themselves what might occur should they slay one of the Dwimmerlaik – yes, O Brytta; your northern kin are very superstitious, are they not? – and did decide the risks to their souls outweighed their lord’s displeasure. So they gagged me and bound my arms, and put me in a sack, and stole away with me in the darkness; they dragged me behind their horses for some ways so that I was even more battered than before, and at last threw me, binding, gag, sack, and all, into a dark hole, where my shoulder was dislocated in the fall. I heard them ride off after that; they did say amongst themselves that the shadow of my curse should not fall upon them, for ‘twould be the elements to slay me and not themselves. Yes, my Bandobras – foolish sophistry. After a while I was able to loose my arms and mouth, and get out of the sack; but it availed me naught, for even had the sides of the hole been less steep and sandy my legs could not support me, nor could I pull myself forward with my shoulder so wounded; and so I lay at the bottom of the pit in rubbish, thinking fondly of the nice clean oubliette in Bréawine’s keep – no, I am fooling, dear Fastred! – and calling now and again for help. But it was quiet, and rainless too more’s the pity, for I grew very thirsty as the days passed, and when I had counted my eighth sunrise began to feel faint and dizzy, and could not seem to order my thoughts. Indeed the sight of my huntsmistress’ face above me is the next thing I saw, and I was very confused, thinking I had dreamed it whole; but the waking is superior to any dream I might have had, for I am with you, O my dear friends, and I am though gravely hurt quite keen to seek vengeance, and see Rohan saved, and Éomer given the victory.

Do not hurrah so, dear Bandobras! It will take a bit of doing yet. And is there any more of that most excellent broth? I am still quite hungry. O for a glass of wine! I swear unto you all, dear friends, that should we survive to gain Dol Galenehtar again I shall serve you all the best barrel of red from our vineyards, and we shall sing and dance upon the lawns in the starlight.

Well – no, Fastred. I suppose it shall be some time ere I dance again. But you may dance if you like, and I shall wager two gold pieces I know who your partner shall be!

Ah – he blushes; see you that? Very well, Bandobras; I will stop teasing him. Now may I have more broth?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List