Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

(A/N: Many thanks to those of you who have reviewed! [Especially Lyn, who seems to have read all my fics in one day ... ] I got a new computer, and have been trying to transfer files from one to the other, which delayed me somewhat, and as it's summertime, and the Munchkin is out of school, I don't seem to have as much free time as I used to ... but I'm chugging away at this, never fear! -- Le Rouret)



Brytta gave a shout, and taking the rope lashed it about a nearby stump; he and Gimli ran forward and hauled Andunië and her sad cargo over the edge of the hole. Fastred too rushed toward them, heart in his throat, but Bandobras stood rooted, his eyes staring in amazement, still clutching the rope; upon his face was an expression of astonished agony. Andunië when she had gained the edge fell to her knees, her arms still about the body she bore, her hair like a curtain obscuring her face. She trembled Fastred could see, but through weariness or some other motive he could not tell, and though Brytta and Gimli both strove to wrest from her arms Legolas' body she resisted and would release him not – her arms were wound round him tight, as though she herself could not believe she had found him, and perchance feared he would vanish should she relinquish her hold upon him. So they lowered both Elves prone upon the grass, with Andunië's arms clutched about her lord, and Gimli leant forward over them, his eyes anxious and full of sorrow.

Lassah lay limp and naked, his golden hair tangled and filthy; and it was hard to say whether more bruises or dirt obscured the shining whiteness of his skin. His legs were twisted round beneath him and his long white hands wilted and still, like old wasted lilies upon the grass. Bandobras gave a choked sob and ran to them then, throwing himself as best he could in the crush upon his Master's person. Andunië raised her head, and Fastred saw that though she made pretend she were as indifferent as before, her lips quivered over a smile, and her green eyes were glassed with tears.

"He breathes," she whispered, her voice so calm by wont suddenly and shockingly rough.

Fastred's mind seemed to shoot like a fountain out the top of his head, and all he could see were sparks. He heard Bandobras give a great shout of joy, and to his amazement he heard Gimli sobbing uncontrollably. He felt very dizzy and wondered if it were the effect of all those noxious fumes. "He cannot live," Fastred thought, his mind awhirl. "It is not possible – she must be, be overcome by the air at the bottom of the hole – it cannot be – " He shook his head and took hold of himself, and blinking hard stared at the tableau before him.

Brytta knelt over them, like a great carven image of Tulkas, thunderstruck; Andunië and Legolas lay twined together, though his beloved Lassah's face was still and cold beneath the silky fall of Andunië's hair. Gimli had thrown himself upon the body of his friend and wept and wept, all his reticence burned away by joy, and Bandobras was dancing about them all, face alight and arms aloft, his eyes to the heavens, hurrah-ing and shouting like a madman. Fastred dropped to his knees beside Lassah then, and laid a trembling hand upon the cold arm stretched out on the grass. Smooth hard skin over muscle, like soiled alabaster; yet in the cusp of upper and lower arm fluttered a heartbeat.

"Look at his legs; they have been broken," whispered Brytta then beneath the Hobbit's joyous cries. "O, they have broken his legs … " Then he too put his face in those wrinkled twisted hands, and began to weep.

"Silence!" said Andunië then, and when Fastred beheld her he saw she had regained her poise; she lay over Lassah's form, frowning down at his face. "Let me see if I can wake him. Bandobras! Fetch water."

"Water! Yes!" squeaked the Hobbit, and fled on dancing feet to where they had left the horses to fetch a water-skin. Gimli still wept, his face bowed over Lassah's stomach, which was sunken and stretched; his bones seemed to jut out, and his skin was horribly discolored by blood and bruise and weal. Fastred began to tremble himself; all his limbs felt weak, and beneath the words of his friends he could hear inside his head a low whine. Still he did not believe it – his fingers touched the pulse-point upon Lassah’s arm, and he could feel the flickering heartbeat beneath the cold skin – but the Elf’s face was still, his eyes closed and his jaw slack. Fastred had never seen his beloved Lassah so weak and helpless before, and he did not like it – Lassah should be tall and shining and strong, laughing and brave and indomitable. This lifeless husk could not possibly contain the great spirit Fastred had known since birth. Yet behind all his confusion his heart began to lift, for the crushing dread of finding Lassah slain had been replaced by burgeoning hope, like sunlight breaking through dark clouds.

He looked at Andunië then, wondering if he had only imagined her tearful smile, for once again she seemed to him to be devoid of all feeling, and was as cold as ever. She took Legolas' face in her slim hands; her brows creased as though with annoyance, and she frowned down at him, her green eyes glittering. Her tongue flicked out to wet her lips, and she took a slow, deep breath; then, so low Fastred could barely understand her, she murmured a single word over her lord’s face. Fastred was not certain, but it sounded to him as though she whispered a'maelamin. “But that cannot be right; I have misheard her,” he thought; “for Andunië would never call anyone by that name, least of all Lassah.”

Nothing happened for the space of several heartbeats, and all simply crouched over Legolas’ still form, watching him expectantly; Andunië did not move, but lay prone, her hands cradling her lord’s face. But then with sudden violence Lassah's hands thrust upward; with one he grasped Andunië by the hair and jerked her head back, and with the other he seized her throat, throttling her, his fingers pressed deep into her skin. Brytta and Gimli clutched at his hands with cries of dismay, for Legolas was strong in his blind fury, and Andunië was choking, her eyes wide, unable to draw in breath; however she batted their hands away, and far from fighting her lord went limp above him, so that he would not feel her struggle and so enflame his rage. Legolas' eyes flickered then and blinked, and though they were yet clouded he seemed to perceive it was no enemy above him, for he slackened, and Andunië took a shallow rasping breath. Then his long dirty fingers released her hair, trailing it out so that it shimmered copper in the low light; he turned his hand and let the sleek locks slide across his palm. His brows came together, and his mouth opened and shut a moment; then in a dry, hoarse voice he croaked:

"Andunië?"

"Heruamin," she replied softly, her eyes wary. But before anyone could respond Bandobras rushed past them all and elbowed them aside; in his small hands he held a great skin of water. "Here," he panted, pulling the cork so that water sloshed over Lassah's chest, and the Elf flinched when he felt the cold water upon his bare skin.

"Give it me," said Andunië shortly, snatching the skin from the Hobbit; she cradled Legolas' head in her arm and tipped it forward, so that his lips touched the mouth of the skin. He strained up toward it and drank eagerly, his eyes closing again, the fingers of one hand still tangled in her hair; at last he broke away, and lay back panting, letting his arms drop limply by his side. Andunië thrust the skin back into Bandobras' hands and watched Lassah's face with a fixed yet unreadable expression; his eyes were still closed, and he looked, Fastred thought, quite shocking; however Lassah looked up after a moment, and cast weakly about him, and seeing Gimli crouched by his side his split and swollen lips curled into a smile.

"Gimli," he rasped, raising one limp hand; with an incoherent cry Gimli flung himself at his friend, who winced, though still put his hand round Gimli's shoulders.

"O my friend – ware my ribs," he whispered; and Gimli drew back, still sobbing, one big hand gently probing Legolas' side. "Aye," said the Dwarf with a shaking smile; "yes, I can see where they have broken, my friend. O – " Careful this time, Gimli embraced Legolas, taking him from Andunië's arms. The woman sat up, her face aloof, and brushed the dirt from her hands carelessly. "O you maddening Elf – I thought you were dead!"

"As did I," said Legolas with a weak chuckle; languidly his eyes roved round the circle. “Ah,” he whispered, his eyes lighting upon his little esquire. “My dear Bandobras!”

“Master,” whispered the Hobbit, taking one of Legolas’ limp hands and kissing it; tears were running freely down his cheeks. “O, Master!”

“Little One,” sighed Legolas, and looking up past Gimli’s head saw the rider kneeling there. "Brytta,” he said softly. “So you did return for me? I bethought to myself you might."

"And how could I not, O Green Knight?" asked Brytta, dashing his tears away and managing to smile a little. "You had left me with so great a debt; no man could stand beneath such a load!"

“Not even with shoulders so broad as yours?” smiled Legolas, and closed his eyes, resting in Gimli’s strong arms. Fastred watched his chest rise and fall, watched the pulse of his heartbeat in the hollow of his neck, and suddenly his throat felt very tight. It was true then – Lassah was not dead; he was alive – alive! He tried to take in a deep breath, but it choked on a sob; then hearing this did Legolas open his eyes once more, and focused them upon Fastred; he seemed confused, for he lowered his brows as though in deep contemplation, and he frowned.

“Fastred?” he whispered, and then the boy’s tears came in earnest; Fastred wept as though his heart would break, covering his face with his hands. He felt someone’s arm slip round his shoulders, and realized it was Andunië come to comfort him again; he could smell the rich summery scent of her hair. And beneath his sobs he heard Legolas sigh: “Ah … his mother will surely slay me when she hears of this.” And then Gimli began to laugh, loud and deep and long; he laughed over their words, over the Hobbit’s happy speech, and Brytta’s booming voice, and Andunië’s cool scolding, and Fastred’s sobs; he laughed and laughed and laughed despite Legolas’ weak protests, and it seemed to Fastred as though Durin himself must have laughed thus when first awoken to the splendors of the deeps.

**********************************

They were too close to Bréawine's holdings to stay overlong, and Brytta feared the patrols that had flung Legolas’ body down the dene-hole might return, so they wrapped the Elf in a blanket and set him upon Taruku with the man of Rohan. Both his legs had been broken below the knees with a war-hammer, and were grotesquely twisted; Gimli and Brytta spoke in what Fastred felt was a very cold-hearted and callous manner about re-breaking and setting them, and upon hearing it Bandobras’ face went quite white. But Gimli had convinced them to wait ‘til they had gained safe camp, and so Brytta took Legolas upon Meivel’s destrier himself, and they pressed north to the cataract which split the land.

Legolas was very weak, and slipped betimes into swoon, for his legs were painful and he had not eaten nor drunk in ten days. He tried at first to sit behind Brytta and cling to him, but it became apparent he was not strong enough; also Gimli pointed out, rather acerbically, that in addition to having had his legs broken one of his shoulders was dislocated, and Legolas was simply incapable of holding himself upon the horse. So he sat before Brytta instead, and with one hand the man guided Taruku through the rest of the dene-holes and into the thick wood-girt hills, and with the other he held the Elf to him so that he would not fall. Fastred watched Lassah carefully, for sometimes he would awaken, and speak to Brytta, though his voice was so faint Fastred could not descry his words; mostly though he lay his head upon Brytta’s chest and stared into nothingness, his pale eyes bemused and unfocused.

They rode thus ‘til the stars faded and the sky lightened, and ever they wound up and up into the jutting hills, crossing rushing streams and fighting their way through the thick underbrush. When the sun began to shine her rays through the tangled tree branches Andunië raised her head, listening, and even Lassah seemed to become more alert; after some time Bandobras said: “What is that roaring I hear?”

Brytta laughed and said: “It must be the cataract – we are nearly there, and then we may rest.” This news was welcome, for they were all quite tired; their steeds were weary, and even stout Karakse’s legs were trembling. Fastred drooped, and knew he was not the only one, for he felt Bandobras nod off several times, then come to with a jerk. At last they pressed up one last steep hill, and then Fastred and Brytta could hear the thundering falls too, and smell the mist in the air. The ground was thick with ferns and shrub, and the trees hung with moss; the rocks were slick and glistening, and everything was very lush in that moist corridor. Then they gained the top, and Brytta led them to a rocky outcropping where the trees cleared, and Fastred could at last see how high they had climbed.

All Rohan was spread at his feet. It lay like a green-gold carpet in the late morning sun, gleaming with silver threads of streams and rivers, rumpled and wrinkled with blue shadows in the valleys and blushing verdigris round the edges. Far to the south he could see the steep slopes of the Ered Nimrais, and the sharp peak of Starkhorn pointing heavenward. The sky was filled with soft white clouds like fresh-washed sheep, dancing across a dome of blue, and the air was filled with the roaring, rushing, clattering sound of the waterfall beside him. It cascaded green-white over the sharp shelf of rocks and tumbled fully three hundred feet, crashing upon ledges and swirling round huge boulders, cutting a deep crevasse in the earth that wound south for many leagues ere the ground evened, and Fastred could see the river far below, spreading its fingers out over a fertile plain. All round them rose white mist like a bride’s veil, and water droplets clung to the leaves of the trees, glittering in the sun. Brytta rode up beside him, and Lassah, curled in his arms like a child, raised his head and looked out also; upon his lips was a small smile.

“Behold your kingdom, Little One!” he murmured, then with a sigh closed his eyes again. Brytta also smiled and said:

“Yes, Fastred Prince – this is your realm; do you not find it lovely?” The man’s eyes were soft as he gazed upon the land, and his face was proud. “And from these steppes to that tall peak it is delightful and good; it has rich fields, and good grass, and clean water, and strong wind. How terrible that one should desire to split it in two, and take these highlands for himself, dividing brother and brother, and father and son! O Fastred Prince, do you take it for yourself then, and let not Bréawine break the Mark in twain! Raise your sword and scepter in rightful government and save your people, for you are Théoden’s heir indeed!”

Fastred was filled then with pleasure at Brytta’s words, and also with determination that so beautiful a realm should be kept whole, and not squabbled over and burned and pillaged by some brutal upstart. He turned to the man, who so carefully held poor Lassah in his arms, and gazed out upon the hills and fields of his country. Brytta looked proud and gallant, and in his face was an echo of the handsome warrior he had once been, with his gray eyes, and the long silver and gold braids streaming out behind him. Fastred determined that he would for Brytta’s sake, as well as his own uncle’s, protect Rohan from such turmoil, and preserve it as it ought to have been, so that these proud men would not find their labor turned to naught. “As I am Éowyn's son and Prince of the Mark, I do surely swear to you that I will, Brytta,” he said firmly, and the man turned to him, and smiled at him; and beneath the man’s chin Legolas also opened his eyes and gazed upon Fastred, a look of satisfaction on his face.

They pressed north-east up the edge of the river to the ford, and found a small clearing by a deep black water-hole, swirling white with foam, and choked with stick and bramble; but the ground round it was dry and flat, and scattered with sufficient driftwood for a good fire. While Bandobras and Fastred set camp and built a blaze, Andunië directed Brytta and Gimli to lay Legolas out, so they might see to his wounds. She shook her head over her lord where he lay, his head upon Gimli’s lap, weak and weary still; though his gray eyes were calm, and watched her with trusting disinterest, smiling a little. “In truth, my lord, have I seldom seen you in such a state,” she said, her voice reproachful as she stood over him, her hands on her hips and a look of disapproval on her face. “Split lips, cracked cheek-bone, dislocated shoulder, broken ribs, two broken legs, and too many cuts, scrapes, bruises, gashes, and punctures to count.”

“Where should we begin then?” asked Gimli, stroking Legolas’ hair. He did not seem as unhappy about Legolas’ wounds as did Andunië; Fastred was certain he was pleased simply to have his friend returned to him with heartbeat and breath intact, and all other considerations were insignificant by comparison. Legolas looked up at Gimli’s inverted face above him and grinned.

“Red wine and roast beef first, by your leave,” he said weakly, and Brytta chuckled.

“Ah, so do all good warriors desire to fill their bellies! But I fear wine and beef are beyond our wherewithal at the moment, O Green Knight, though I admit it should taste very good to me also.”

“And don’t you forget we need to clothe him too,” added Bandobras from the fire; he was digging round his pack, trying to determine how much food they had left. “I won’t let my Master go running round in his altogether – not fitting at all, not by any stretch! But we didn’t bright naught but what’s on our backs, so I think we’d best tie the blankets round him ‘til we get back to Meduseld – that’ll satisfy modesty at least, though it’s not what I’d call very fashionable.”

“Mortifying but efficacious,” murmured Legolas, and with a sigh closed his eyes once more. Fastred turned to Bandobras worriedly.

“Bandobras,” he said, his voice low. “What shall we feed him? For you cooked the last of the beans two nights ago, and we have long been out of bacon!”

“I’m thinking about it,” grumbled Bandobras, staring at his pots and pans. “Meat! He needs fresh meat with blood in it to make him strong again, but barring the horses, and a few packets of salt and thyme, there’s naught to be had, and I’m not about to suggest we go eating our means of transportation.”

“I shouldn’t let you anyway,” laughed Fastred. “Perhaps Andunië and I can shoot something – we have bow and arrow after all. I am sure there are rabbits here, and squirrels, and I have seen several water-fowl – ducks and grebes and swans. My Lady Mother told me we should not shoot swan, but in truth I am so hungered I could eat near anything at this point, and poor Lassah is so starving we cannot give in to squeamishness.”

“Swan’s better than naught,” mused Bandobras. “And it can be mighty toothsome, if you roast it right, and if it’s not too old and tough. And it’s greasy – won’t dry out, not even over a hot fire. Never fear though – should we get swan I’ll not betray you to your mum!” He looked over at the wide rushing river beside them; the water was very swift. “Don’t think we’ll have much luck in the water – too fast for trout or bass up here, though Brytta says it ain’t bad after the ford – not that we have hook or line, so the point’s moot, more’s the pity. Though trout’d be right tasty, wouldn’t it? Wrapped in moist leaves and set on the coals for a bit – “

“Stop it,” said Fastred, laughing. “You are making me hungrier than I already am. How I wish I were in the bakeries of Meduseld!” And he sighed, and thought of Tamin, wondering how far Rúmil and his people had gone, and whether they had started their march to Edoras.

“You and me both, Fastred,” said Bandobras. “Why I’m so hungry I bet I’d eat a week-old muffin, without butter too – and that’s saying something, especially for a Hobbit!” He rose and walked over to Legolas, and like Andunië put his hands on his hips and looked down at his Master with a critical eye. “You look right awful, Master,” he said, shaking his head. “What a mess you’ve managed to make of yourself! Why you even look worse nor you did after that match against Hallas in Langstrand, when his lance snapped and caught you but good on the chin! All black and blue you were, with a great big gash on your cheek; do you remember, Gimli? And the way Lady Dirhael and all the ladies fussed over you! But you looked better then nor you do now. Good thing your mum’s not here or she’d tan your hide for being so careless, and that’s the truth.”

Legolas opened his eyes and smiled lazily back at his esquire. “Dear Bandobras!” he sighed. “What knight has need of a mother, when his esquire shall scold as well? Though I do not believe my hide has need of further tanning; it is bludgeoned sufficiently for any purpose.”

“Are you still thirsty, Lassah?” asked Fastred anxiously, coming forward and standing by Andunië. “And are you hungry? I am afraid we do not have much for you to eat – “

“Truth be told, we’ve got naught for you to eat,” admitted Bandobras unhappily, glancing at Andunië. “But Fastred here’s had the idea he and Andunië might be able to shoot summat with their bow and arrow, and as I’ve already got a fire going, and a pan of water on to boil, if they just went out and got down to business we might get a bite to eat afore noontime, which I’m not denying would be gratifying.”

Andunië glanced coolly down at Fastred, who gulped, wondering if he had been presumptuous. “Well, you are a very good shot you know, Andunië,” he stammered, seeking to appease her, “and I am not so bad myself, as Lassah and my Lord Father both did teach me to hunt; the land hereabouts is lush and green, and I feel certain we might indeed find aught with which to fill our stomachs, if we could but put a little effort toward it.”

Brytta and Gimli looked hopefully at Andunië, as though they expected her to pull a brace of conies out of her pocket at once; but Andunië’s eyes softened when she looked upon Fastred’s eager face, and she said as gently as he had heard her speak: “Fastred, do you not so provoke yourself unneeded; I know well enough the land round us teems with life, and much of it edible! But there is no reason for you to separate yourself from the friend you love so well and so deeply, whom you have mourned as one dead for many days. Stay you here with my lord, and comfort him while the Lord of Aglarond and Brytta of Rohan minister to his many wounds, for I know he will have need of such a one as you, who is strong of heart and flinches not at injury nor privation. You and the Halfling both are needed here, but as I am huntsmistress my talents are required in other quarters.”

Fastred blinked, trying to determine whether he had truly been complimented or not; but before he could adequately respond Andunië had leapt upon Ronyo with her bow and quiver slung across her back, her eyes to the sky. “I will return in an hour or so,” she said casually to the others, and with a soft word to her mare the two went into the wood.

Brytta watched her go, his eyes alight with admiration, and when she had gone he fetched a great sigh. “Ah!” he said softly, placing his hand upon his breast. “There passes a maid the likes of which I have never met! Upon her fair form lie courage and honor and wisdom, and she is like unto a great copper beech, slim and white and crowned with the light of the setting sun! I fear not to tell you, my friends, that in mine eyes this maid has become the premier light of life, so imbuing my heart with joy that I am overwhelmed with it, and fear that I but dream her. Yet well I know that to her I am but dust, for I am mere mortal man, and of grotesque form, and possess nothing by which to draw her from her eternal forests and immortal kin. Still that thought quenches not my esteem for her, for though she dwell centuries yet ignorant of my regard, still shall I be ennobled by the thought of her ever, and upon my death-bed shall I murmur her name and thus pass into the halls of mine ancestors with joy and peace commingled as I think upon the perfections of her fair and flawless face. Ah, how her eyes like emeralds shine, and her hair like flame streams down her back! When I gaze upon her skin like honey and her lips red as rose-petals my heart does betray me, with beats to rival the galloping of many horses. O that my arms were transfigured and could become the bones of her stays, that I should ever embrace her slender waist, and be not parted from her ever!” Then he stammered to a halt, and blushed deeply, looking round at his companions shame-faced.

Fastred was stunned by this, and turned to his friends in confusion. Legolas opened his eyes and gazed at the man in mild astonishment, and Gimli stared at him disapproving; Bandobras however merely snorted, and went back to tend the fire. “Her, wear a corset!” he clucked, shaking his head. “Don’t think she even knows what one is.”

*************************************

Legolas entreated Gimli and Brytta to tend to the worst of his hurts ere Andunië returned. “For I would rather have it over and done, that I might eat and be truly comforted,” he begged them when they hesitated; “otherwise you shall feed me, and then when you wrench me back into the shape to which I am the more accustomed, I might in my pain disgorge, and so waste the meal.” So reluctantly did Gimli and Brytta turn him over, and bind his legs with thick cloths, and while Bandobras held one hand and Fastred the other, Brytta put all his weight upon Legolas’ back, and Gimli took his hatchet, and wrapped it well, and with the blunt end re-broke the Elf’s legs. The first blow gave a horrible crunch, and had Brytta’s great strength not held Legolas firmly upon the earth Fastred was certain the Elf would have risen straight up in the air; however he made no noise save a low groan, and before he could catch his breath, Gimli with his face white and set lifted his hatchet like a hammer, and after aiming carefully at the afflicted area struck his friend upon the other leg. Legolas cried out, though his voice was muffled by the earth; and when Brytta turned him back over the Elf’s face was contorted with pain, and tears streaked silvery tracks through the blood and dirt upon his cheeks.

Bandobras washed Legolas’ face with a cold wet cloth, and Fastred, his heart wrung with pity, cradled his friend’s head in his arms, watching him take deep tearing breaths, ragged and uneven, his skin gray and mottled. “There,” said Brytta, trying to sound comforting, though his voice trembled. “You have done well; now good Gimli shall set them, and then we shall see about putting your shoulder back in place.”

Legolas did not reply, but allowed Brytta to hold him down firmly, and while Bandobras and Fastred held tight to the Elf’s hands Gimli re-set his legs. It took some time, for the legs had not broken cleanly; and it seemed to Fastred that the Dwarf took far too long; he grew impatient, for he could tell it hurt Lassah terribly as Gimli’s hands twisted and pressed, striving to get the shin-bones all pointed in the same direction. But Gimli was competent, with his big strong hands, and careful to make sure the bone once set would stay that way, though he seemed to feel the pain he inflicted upon his friend, cringing each time he felt Legolas flinch. And as for Lassah he bit his lip and closed his eyes, and at times he did not even breathe; but Gimli at last declared himself done, and he and Brytta tied each leg up with straight sticks and tight rags. Lassah looked very strange, lying there with his legs outstretched and thickly bound; he looked more like Hísimë’s rag-doll after Théodred had got hold of it for one of his funny games. He was terribly white, and panted a little to catch his breath, his hands twitching on the grass, and Fastred stroked his matted hair, and kissed his damp brow, distressed by the sight of his brave Lassah brought so low. But then did Brytta come up behind them, and as he aided Lassah to sit up Fastred realized the discomfort was not yet over, for they still had need to fix his shoulder, which was bulbous and deformed; he and Bandobras as before held tight to Legolas’ hands while Brytta wrapped his great arms round the Elf’s chest, pinning the arms in tight, and with a sudden surge of his muscles there was a little snap! and Legolas groaned, then his face, which had been tight with apprehension, relaxed, and he took a deep breath, and smiled up at the man.

“My thanks, Brytta of Rohan!” he said; “that is much better – I fear you have cracked another rib in the process; it was worth it though, for my shoulder was quite uncomfortable.” He sat up straight, and moved his arms, stretching them and rotating them, and at last he lifted his face to the late morning sky, espying two swallows wheeling about; and he gave a breathy laugh, and raised his hands over his head.

“Look at me!” he cried, stretching his fingers to the sky. “I was as one dead, yet through the efforts of my friends have I been brought back to life! O the sight of the sun; the feel of the breeze upon my face! Nine days I counted in that pit, struggling and scrabbling and calling for help; it was dark, and the air so close and reeking, and I so near to despair! Indeed when I opened my eyes and saw Andunië’s face I did not believe it; I thought it surely a dream brought on by my hunger and thirst and pain. But I dream not,” he said, smiling at them. “And when my huntsmistress returns she shall certainly have something good to eat with her, and we shall have for ourselves a little feast, and then we shall share our tales with each other – though in truth I have much to tell, and none of it good, which takes a bit of the edge off of me.”

“I don’t care, so long’s I have you back!” said Bandobras, throwing his arms round his Master’s neck. “Bless my soul, but I’ve missed you! Why I even promised Elbereth I’d give up pipeweed if only I could see you again! I hope she don’t hold me to it though, for if I don’t smoke what shall Gimli do?”

Legolas laughed. “I suppose that all depends, Little One, upon whether or not Gimli swore a similar oath,” he said, and looked at the Dwarf hopefully; but Gimli chuckled, and ruffled Bandobras’ brown curls.

“Do not think so highly of yourself!” he said, throwing Fastred and Brytta a wink; “I have yet to hear of a Dwarf willing to give up smoking for the sake of an Elf’s bright face.”

They set about making Legolas as comfortable as possible, and let him drink all the water he liked – “Better than Dorwinion, when you have been without as long as have I!” sighed Lassah, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand – and Bandobras and Gimli tended the fire, while Brytta and Fastred saw to the steeds. Taruku and Karakse were much choked with briar and bramble, and content to pull up great hanks of green grass while their masters rubbed them down with rags. Boy and man worked in companionable silence for a time, then Brytta tugged his fingers through Taruku’s mane and said:

“I believe I shall fetch me the comb, that we might untangle this mess here; for our horses are fine beasts and deserve to greet the world as well-groomed as possible.” He looked back at the packs by the fire, and then laughed. “Look!” he said in a low voice. “The holbytla is seeing to his master’s grooming as well! Though I perceive that the Green Knight is not so sanguine about it as good Taruku here.” And when Fastred looked too he saw that Bandobras had bathed Lassah as well as possible, and was combing out his golden hair, chattering happily; Legolas being effectively imprisoned by his broken legs merely sat exchanging tolerant looks with Gimli, who was chuckling whilst sharpening his axe. Fastred smiled.

“I will have to tell my sister Hísimë,” he said. “She is always brushing Lassah’s hair, even when it needs it not! But she is a girl, and girls are always fussing with their hair and clothing.” He thought of Léodwyn then, of her honey-brown locks and plain black dress, and her old war-horse and work-hardened hands, and wondered what Hísimë would make of her. Frankly he thought he might prefer a girl such as Léodwyn, who did not seem to mark what she wore or how she fixed her hair; but then again perhaps when dresses and ribbons had been given to her she would become like Hísimë. “I have always wondered why they act so,” he said thoughtfully. “I suppose other girls are quite disparaging and so they do all they can to quell any censure, for it is certain we boys do not care.”

“In truth I have never contemplated it,” admitted Brytta with a smile; “certes it is all the fine ladies in the court have mattered to me not one whit, and ‘twas a rough huntsmistress first turned my heart.”

Fastred looked up at the man curiously. Brytta was stroking Taruku’s neck with his gnarled hands, and upon his weather-beaten face was a look of soft contemplation. To think of Andunië falling in love with Brytta was absurd, yet Fastred did not feel like laughing about it; Brytta had suffered quite enough he was sure, and he had no intentions of letting the man labor under such bright illusions. “Brytta,” said Fastred soberly; “you well know Andunië already has an admirer, and an Elvish one at that. I would not wish you ill, nor see your great heart broken; for if such a one as Himbaláth who is fair and jolly and brave may not make her his lady, what chance have mortals as we?”

Brytta looked down at him in surprise. “O Fastred Prince!” he said, and laughed. “I delude not myself in thinking she shall ever be my lady; I am too old to wed in any case, and even if I contemplated such an act I do not think me the Pretty Maid would make any man, or Elf even, a fitting wife! But she is very beautiful,” he said with a sigh; “lovely and strong and valiant; I wish this Himbaláth the best in his endeavors, but I do fear me his pleas shall ever fall upon deaf ears.” And he turned back to Taruku then, and spoke no more about it.

When the sun reached its zenith Legolas called to them that he heard hoof-beats, and sure enough moments later Andunië came out of the wood upon Ronyo, and behind her was a smaller horse, tacked and saddled and looking very footsore. They ran up to her as she dismounted, and Brytta took the other steed’s reins from her. “Where did you find him?” he asked in surprise, as Andunië opened her saddle-bag and began removing a quantity of small game.

“Hovering over his fallen master,” said Andunië calmly. “The man had been shot. I despoiled the body and replenished my quiver, though these arrows are not what I would wish to use save in dire need.”

“Let me see, Little One,” called Legolas from the fire, and Andunië went up to him with her plunder. He examined the arrows while Bandobras started plucking a brace of quail; the Hobbit hummed contentedly beneath his breath, oblivious to all save dinner. “These are rough missiles indeed,” said Legolas frowning; “fletched with crow’s feathers and thick gut, and see the heavy shafts!”

“Crow’s feathers!” Brytta took one of the arrows and said: “But these are Dunlendings’ arrows; no man of the Mark would shoot such crude darts.”

“I am not surprised,” smiled Legolas; “what I know of Errakh-Hem of the Dunlendings tells me he is not overly pleased with Bréawine now.”

“Why; have you met him?” asked Brytta in surprise.

“I have indeed,” said Legolas; “but have pity on a poor Elf, who has eaten naught for well over a week! Allow me to eat but one small quail first, and I shall tell you everything you wish to know.”

“Very well!” said Brytta. “Then I shall see to this unhappy beast, and Gimli and I will give to you his spoils as just recompense for your pains. But O holbytla I do most earnestly beseech you to cook and cook quickly, for I am anxious for the Green Knight’s tale!”

“You’ll eat when I’m ready,” said Bandobras firmly. “Man waits for the food, not the food for the man, you know.”

Brytta opened his mouth to protest but Gimli stayed him with a smile. “It is no use, Brytta of Rohan!” he said. “When it comes to food none can match a Hobbit for enthusiasm. Come! Let us see what Andunië has brought us.”

The horse had a deep cut on its cheek that had become inflamed, and Brytta tended to that while Fastred rubbed it down and Gimli picked through the spoils. Andunië sat upon the grass by Ronyo’s feet looking bored. “Clothes,” said Gimli with satisfaction; “short and too wide, but better than nothing.”

“Hardtack too,” said Brytta making a face. “And look! Vambraces and greaves; boots and belts – “

“And a sword, and a bow, and a quiver half-full of arrows,” finished Gimli. “Well Andunië, you have done quite nicely; the huntsmistress brought her lord not food alone but other items to comfort and adorn!” He carried everything over to Legolas and said: “Now if your huntsmistress will turn her head but a moment, we shall see about making you fit to be seen.” With Fastred’s help they clothed Legolas in the castoffs, and though it seemed strange to have him clad as a man of Rohan the clothing did not fit that badly. “There!” said Gimli. “And my friend, here are weapons by which you may protect yourself, and if we are fortunate, revenge yourself upon the men who have hurt you so.”

“By your leave, after I have supped!” said Legolas. “I am so faint with hunger through smelling the quail and rabbit, I am near to swoon.” But he admired the sword and bow, running his battered fingers along them appreciatively. “My thanks to you, Andunië!” he said to his huntsmistress, who was seeing to Ronyo’s mane. “I am far in your debt; I do fear me mine exchequer shall be greatly depleted after the new mews are finished.”

Andunië lifted her head, her green eyes flashing, and turned back to her lord, who regarded her with a mischievous smile. Upon her face was a look of hesitant approbation. “And the eyasses and haggards, offered me by Targond of Minas Tirith?” she asked cautiously. Legolas laughed.

“Yours!” he said. “Purchase as many as you like – or rather, as many as will fit comfortably in the mews; I trust you to not over-crowd them. And Fastred will perhaps lend you his skill in training them – he is passing good at it I have heard.” Fastred blushed and looked over at Andunië, who appeared to be struggling against seeming overly pleased; she gave her lord a curt nod, and went back to grooming Ronyo; however Fastred could tell she was happy, for under her breath she like the Hobbit hummed to herself. Legolas smiled at Fastred, and held out his arms to him; and Fastred, disdaining all things grown-up, including what Brytta might think, cast himself by Lassah’s side, and nestled happily into the Elf’s arms like he used when he was very small; he sat there ‘til the quail were done, listening to Lassah and Gimli and Brytta talk, and only sat up to let Lassah eat. And when all were done, and the sun sank west into the treetops, Legolas proclaimed himself refreshed, and taking upon one side Fastred and the other his little esquire he leant back upon the packs and told them his tale.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List