Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

Before dawn broke over the grassy rumpled plain of the West Emnet the Green Knight had led his warriors far from Meduseld, far from the dark fields of Edoras, far from the Snowbourne, due north toward Fangorn.  They rode silently, with no song nor jingling of harness, and were clad in simple plated leather armor, for they were riding to munificence and not open battle.  Their great horses thundered across the furrowed fields, cresting hill and plunging into the mist-filled hollows, splashing through shallow streams and clattering over the rocks.  When they pulled up to rest their steaming mounts Legolas would send out fresh scouts, who zig-zagged back and forth through the lands about them, yet found no sign of spy nor watcher; indeed there seemed to be no one at all, and when they came across a huddle of farmsteads at dawn the place was deserted.  Lirlindil and Romastáldë made a swift survey of the buildings and returned to report that all had been packed and removed, down to the curtains hanging at the windows, and the bolsters on the bedframes.  There did not seem to be any reason save fear that drove the farmers out, and Romastáldë told them they had seen strange designs carven upon the lintels of the houses:  crudely drawn open eyes surrounded by twisted lines, and surmounted by a diamond-shape.  He and Lirlindil were puzzled by these signs, but Legolas said:

"Some believe ghosts and spirits are driven off by the sign of eyes, or by knots of lines or words; they think the ghosts shall be frightened or confused, and thus flee, leaving the living in peace. Hirilcúllas, did not Éomer say to you that many peasants and such rustic folk had fled to Edoras fearing both Bréawine and the ghosts?"

"He did," said that woman; she had unlaced the sleeves from her traveling gown and sat bare-armed upon her Alfirin; her bow and quiver were slung at her back.  "They did say to him and to his guards that their kinsmen to the north had seen ghosts in the fields and orchards, and as soon as harvest was in they brought their families to hide in the city."

Legolas sat still upon his great black destrier, gazing to and fro, and listening; after a moment he said, "I do not feel the presence of ghosts or wights; perhaps their fears were unfounded."

"Or perhaps their fears were increased by rumor," said Himbaláth at his side; it was the first he had spoken in some hours.  "'Twould be effortless to drive these poor folk into fright and alarm simply through some well-thought-out gossip, especially when dread and trepidation already dwell herein."

"Think you then this a deliberate attempt to empty King Éomer's fields?" asked Malinadulin.  Himbaláth shrugged.

"Perchance yes, perchance no," he said; "horror is contagious, and even a well-meaning warning might incite flight."

"Considering the convoluted plots hereabouts it would surprise me not," said his lord with a laugh.  "Come!  Let us go; these empty homes can tell us nothing further."

They rode through until nightfall, and bivouacked in a shallow dingle, tethering their steeds by a stream.  Some of the Elves rested, others sang softly to the stars which peeked down at them through the curtains of cloud which swept across the night sky; Legolas set up a perimeter guard, but though the scouts ranged to and fro round their camp the only living creatures they found were fox, badgers, and quail.  The following morning they set out again, their horses fresh and rested, pressing ever northward, finding naught but two more deserted farmsteads.  "Even the manure is dry," said Lirlindil after he and Romastáldë had investigated the buildings.  "No food nor clothing nor any other thing; the people have fled."

"It is an odd thing, though, is it not, my Lord, that they appear to flee from naught?" said Himbaláth to Legolas as they stood upon the crest of a hill, and looked north toward the forest of Fangorn, dark and misty in the distance.  Legolas looked at his lieutenant closely; Himbaláth seemed weary, and his countenance drooped; he reminded his lord of a wilting daffodil at the tag-end of spring.  He considered questioning Himbaláth concerning this, but refrained, thinking perhaps Himbaláth would broach the subject himself when he were prepared to speak; and anyway it did not seem to have affected his performance at all.  "I shall ask Meivel when we return to Edoras," he said to himself; "they are close as brothers might be, though they occupy opposite balances upon the scale; perchance it is for that reason they do love each other so, for as Gimli and I are as light and dark, so do Meivel and Himbaláth seem to me to be – Himbaláth as a bright and merry sun, and Meivel shadowed and silent.  If any should divine the reason for my lieutenant's sad countenance it shall be my captain."

"Despite the rocky ground traces yet remain of passing hoofprints," said Legolas aloud.  "Though 'tis difficult to ascertain it seems as though a host of men rode through here.  That could be enough to convince even the most stalwart of farmers to migrate elsewhere."

Himbaláth shook his head.  "I hope, my Lord, when we arrive at our destination we find but a deserted village and not a destroyed one," he said.  "Men can be cruel to other men, and crueler still to women and children."  He looked over his shoulder then; his bright hair was caught up in the wind and danced about his head in shining tendrils.  "I wish you had not brought Hirilcúllas and Andunië," he said in a low voice.

Legolas turned too and looked back at the two women; Hirilcúllas and Andunië sat together upon a low soft tussock, like two slim lilies in a field of dry grass.  Hirilcúllas' dark head was bent over her quiver; she was sharpening the iron points of her arrowheads, but Andunië's copper hair was spread over the tussock as she lay back on it gazing up into the sky, her green eyes abstracted, her hands folded upon her stomach in repose.  "Think you we shall find evidence of abuse amongst the denizens of this northern village?" he asked, softly so the women would not hear.  "It is for that reason I did bring with us these two; a woman mistreated will go for comfort more readily to another woman than to a male warrior, Elf though he might be.  And should we find children bereft of their mothers they shall be easier in mind with a lady than with us."

"Perhaps, my Lord," said Himbaláth turning back to the north.  "Still I wish you had not brought them."  And he spoke no more then, but turned to horse instead, to find the scouts and question them; Legolas stood for some moments upon the hillside pondering the meaning behind his words.  It was strange to him that his merry Himbaláth should have gone so grim, and it made him uneasy.  "That my Lady Mother were here!" he thought to himself, looking up into the cloud-spattered dome of blue, at the larks and kestrels wheeling about.  "None might hide from her their inmost thoughts; she should advise me wisely concerning my poor Himbaláth. I do not like to see him suffer so, when perchance I might aid him in some way."  And he too turned away, to gather up his people and press on.

The third dawn brought them in sight of the low dark line of Fangorn's trees.  They lay in shadow despite the mellow autumn sun, and the rays did not pierce them.  None of the Elves in the company save Legolas had seen Fangorn; some stood upon the crest of a hill and stared at it, striving to pierce the shadows with their bright eyes; others spoke in low excited voices to each other, desiring greatly to explore its eaves and dells.  To their left flowed a deep black stream choked in brambles; the banks were churned with hoofprints and the marks of heavy boots.  And as they looked to the right they saw a low blue pall of smoke, hovering close to the earth in the rich heavy air.  Legolas sniffed, and frowned.

"Wood, not ghosts!" he said.  "I do think me to be close on to the village Híldaf reported to us; that is to my mind far too much smoke to dismiss as mere cook-fires."

"I fear you speak truly, my Lord," said Himbaláth by his side.  He turned again and looked back, his brow furrowed; Legolas followed his gaze, and saw he once again bore his eyes upon Hirilcúllas and Andunië.  "Shall I send out Romastáldë and Lirlindil to investigate?" he asked his lord, though his gaze was elsewhere.

"Himbaláth," said Legolas firmly, taking his lieutenant by the chin with one gentle but adamant hand, and turning him so his face presented itself to his lord's.  Himbaláth looked up into Legolas' eyes, at the tenderness and resolve there, and lowered his gaze; his gray eyes were shadowed, and his cheeks pale; his golden hair fell across his fair face, obscuring him, and Legolas brushed it aside so he could better see his subordinate.  "What troubles you, Little One?" asked Legolas.  "Fear you the ladies' souls, should we discover evidence of some horrible injustice?  Your chivalry behooves you, but know you that neither Hirilcúllas nor Andunië would be flattered for it seems to me that you doubt their capacity for resilience; they are stronger than you think."

"It is not their strength worries me," said Himbaláth, his eyes on the earth at their feet; Legolas could feel the hum of the Elf's voice through his fingertips.  "It is – " he faltered, and closed his eyes; Legolas' heart turned and he cursed his elevation which separated him from Himbaláth's pain.  "That I were but a warrior myself!" he thought darkly; he released Himbaláth's chin from his grasp and took him by the shoulders.

"My child," he said carefully, "I know not the cause of your distress, nor would I wrest it of you for you hide it most assiduously, and it is not in me to force confidences of an unwilling confessor. But I must ask of you, O my Himbaláth, if this secret sorrow has aught to do with those ladies there, and if there be anything in my power to fix this hurt, for I would not have you to suffer thus, if I could cure your ache."

Himbaláth looked at his lord then, his eyes surprised and fearful; he said quickly:  "O no, my Lord!  There is naught to be done for me; I apologize, for I have allowed my inner thoughts to cloud my vision, and am failing you in my capacity as your lieutenant; please do you forgive me, my Lord, and I shall endeavor to hold to myself mine own thoughts, so I shall not endanger our mission."

"Dear Himbaláth!" exclaimed Legolas in surprise.  "I am not censuring you; you know that I love you, and that your life is precious to me, and your well-being also.  I do not mean to press you; I want only for you to be well and happy, and it pains me to see you languish! I beg of you, O my lieutenant, if you cannot disclose your mind to me, and so relieve your discomfort, that you find for yourself some confidant, for a burden shared is half as heavy."

"Well do I know that," said Himbaláth, though his answering smile was wry and crooked.  "I did disclose my mind unto Meivel ere we departed, and he but told me to keep my peace and not be so foolish.  So as I trust his judgment as yours, my Lord, I shall take me to task, and strive to improve my mind, and control my thoughts; I am sorry, for I have delayed us somewhat, and do swear to you I shall not let my mood impede us further."

"There is naught for which to apologize to me, Little One," said Legolas with a laugh, kissing him upon the forehead.  "Let us consider the matter mended."  But to himself he thought:  "Hold his peace and stop being foolish! What was Meivel thinking, to give him advice like that?  Perhaps I shall send Himbaláth to Frera when we return; she is pragmatic too but possesses far more sympathy."

"My thanks, Lord Legolas," said Himbaláth looking relieved; "I promise I shall not let it delay us again."  He took a deep breath, and running his hands through his great mane of gold said:  "I repeat what I had said to you before, then, O my Lord; shall I send scouts to determine the cause of that smoke?"

"Nay!" said Legolas with a smile.  "Send out Romastáldë and Lirlindil again?  Why should they keep for themselves all the amusement?  Let us go ourselves, you and I; you are scout enough to keep me from making too many mistakes."

Himbaláth laughed then, his usual merry peal, which lightened his lord's heart; he said:  "Mistakes, my Lord?  And who taught me to scout as I do?  I do not forget, my prince, that you are swift and silent as a shadow in wood and thicket, and not even the hare should mark your passing!  I shall go with you and with certainty, for I do trust you with my very life."

"Fair words!" laughed Legolas, relieved.  "Let us go then; we shall take us to horse as far as that dingle, and leave them there; then go on with care lest the king's enemies are still afoot."

So Legolas and Himbaláth rode Piukka and Utuë away from the rest of the company, and into a dark shallow valley; there they left their steeds, admonishing them to keep still and quiet, and crept up the steep gorse slope to the top of the hill.  They moved silently, with not so much as a crinkle upon the dry grass, or the rattle of a loosened pebble; and when they gained the crest and looked down into the depression in the plateau they indeed as Himbaláth had said startled a hare, who had not seen them coming; he bolted for cover, his brown eyes wide.  Legolas and Himbaláth peered through the brown grass and saw the ruins of the village below them.  The walls had been broken down, and the buildings burned; there was a dispirited huddle of small trees, burnt and blackened, about which was circled the remains of a fence, and within the ruins of the palisade there was also a good bit of debris, about which some people were milling, collecting what remained in the ruins.  The wind shifted toward them, and they could smell smoke and blood, and hear the thin querulous cry of a baby.

"Women, children, and some men," breathed Himbaláth from where he lay; "so not all have been slain."

"No horses," whispered Legolas.  "And look!  Their ricks are empty.  They have been looted."

Into their line of sight came a small child, foreshortened from above; the blond untidy head was dirty, and he poked about in the remains of a barrel, looking for something; when naught was to be found he sat upon the charred ground and began to cry.  "He is hungered, poor thing," said Himbaláth sadly.

"Yes," said Legolas.  "Come!  Let us draw nearer, and let ourselves be known; I do not think we have anything to fear from these poor folk."

"Shall we return for our steeds?" asked Himbaláth.  "They will not be so startled by us then."

"I think not," said Legolas.  "All evidence indicates 'twas horsemen did this; see you the trammeled ground, the scrapes and marks upon the earth?  The sight of two knights should unman them."

"As you wish, my Lord," said Himbaláth, and they rose slowly to their feet, and headed down the slope to the village.

Their feet made no sound as they walked through the tall grasses that swept at their shoulders, and the larks and towhees nesting therein found naught about the Elves to startle them, so Legolas and his lieutenant entered the burnt compound unmarked and unheralded.  The buildings had been of wood, and burned near to the ground; even the wooden palisade which circled the village had been torn down and set afire.  All that remained were the smoking hulks of homes and stables, some with naught but one wall standing, and that broken as well; they saw to their left a stone cairn, set about with spears and poles, where no doubt their dead had been laid.  Some of the ruins smoked still, though most had burnt out, black and gray and misshapen, and to their eyes it seemed some time ere the flames had been set.  They could see in the shadows figures moving about, shifting the wreckage, but no one came forward; they were yet unmarked.  Then from round a corner walked two young women sifting through the debris; both were clad in soot-stained and tattered clothes, and one was barefoot and limping; Legolas could see where the rocky soil had cut at her feet.  Their heads were down, their eyes upon the earth as they searched for something, and they did not see the two Elves standing there; and Legolas desiring not to alarm them overmuch scuffed his foot upon the earth to make a noise, and cleared his throat.  The two young women looked up, startled; when they perceived Legolas and Himbaláth they cried out in terror, taking up their skirts and fleeing toward the jumble of ruins within the burnt circle of earth.  Their screams and cries of, "Ghosts!  Ghosts!  Ai, the Dead are upon us!" rose up, and Legolas and Himbaláth could hear exclamations of dismay from the wreckage ahead.  Legolas turned to his subordinate with a wry smile upon his lips.

"What a welcome!  Am I so frightening, Himbaláth?"

Himbaláth regarded him gravely, but his eyes twinkled nonetheless.  "No more so than usual, my Lord," he said.  Legolas raised his eyebrows at him.

"'Twas an observation worthy of Galás, that one," he said, and they started in the direction of the ruined buildings, cautious for they knew not whether someone might take it upon themselves to try force against an ethereal enemy.  Within moments before them burst a group of men, armed with stained and notched swords, and pitchforks, and one with a rake; they too were cinder-smeared and dirty, and several bore injuries poorly tended.  They with their free hands made a symbol at the two Elves, pinching their thumbs betwixt their first and second fingers, and all stared wide-eyed and frightened.  "Back, back!" bellowed their leader, a thin grizzled man in a battered leather breastplate.  "Back, you foul ghosts!  Go to the grave where you belong!"  He shook his scored sword at them, and also made the sign against them.  "Back!  Begone!  Leave our poor people at peace!"

The men behind him shouted and shook their weaponry, and Himbaláth's hand groped round his side for his halberd, but Legolas said:  "No, my child," and stepped forward, palms spread out toward them.

"We are no ghosts," he said, smiling in a friendly fashion.  "We have been sent by Éomer King of the Mark.  We come to your aid not your ruin."

He moved toward the men, and Himbaláth watched anxiously his lord approach them empty-handed; the men drew back in alarm as he drew nearer, but for some the light of terror had left their eyes, and they looked bewildered.  The man with the breastplate stood his ground, sword held steady in his knotted old hands, regarding Legolas with deepest suspicion; when the Elf was but two paces away he turned his sword so that it pointed at the center of Legolas' chest.

"If you are no ghost," he said, "then you shall stay your march lest I slay you."

Legolas stopped, smiling.  "As I have said to you before, good father, I am no ghost."

The man stared at Legolas, his brows lowered, then he looked past him to Himbaláth.  "And your friend there?  He is no ghost either?"

"Himbaláth?"  Legolas turned and smiled at his lieutenant; Himbaláth carefully watched the men, before whom his lord so fearlessly exposed himself.  "Nay, he lives and breathes as surely as do you, good father, and the heart that beats within his chest is full of tenderness and good-will.  Do you please allow us to come forward, for we bring to you help, and have with the rest of our people food and drink, and unguents for the wounded."

The men began to lower their weapons, and looked with hope at Legolas, but the older man with the sword stood firm.  "And what is your name then?" he demanded.  "I am no fool, and know full well you are neither of you men of the Mark – indeed neither of you to me appear to be Men, at least how we would reckon it.  Tell me, if you are no ghost nor foe, your name, so that I might know what to do with you."

Himbaláth stepped forward so that he stood beside his lord, his eyes flashing, and said, "He who stands before you is my lord, Prince Legolas of Eryn Lasgalen, the son of King Thranduil; he is also called Of the Nine Walkers, Of the Three Hunters, the Lord of Dol Galenehtar, and the Green Knight, and he is deep in the counsels of both King Elessar of Gondor and Éomer King of Rohan." 

The men looked at them in amazement, and their leader, frowning, lowered his sword so that its point was to the earth.  "Well, then, O you of many titles," he said slowly, "I am Fram son of Feldwine, and mine only claim is that of village elder, but as such I do what I can to protect them – "  His sword arm dropped, and his face fell; his voice was thick with disappointment.  "Naught, as you can see."

"Nay!" said Legolas gently, and he went forward and took the old man by the shoulder.  "You lead your people well.  Can you not see how they rally behind you?  Your bravery is affected not one whit by defeat at the hands of an enemy better-armed and better-prepared."

"It is so," said a man behind Fram.  "Were it not for him we should have all been slain, for he engaged their leader, and bartered for parley."

"Yet still they took all," said Fram bitterly.  "And we are left with naught – our harvest taken, our buildings and orchard burnt, our stock driven off."

"Yet you live," said Legolas.  "You, and your people, and I see by the size of your cairn that few were slain.  So take heart, Fram Feldwine's son!  Gather up your folk, and I shall send Himbaláth here to fetch mine own company; we shall feed you and your people, and tend to your wounds, and afterwards we shall take you to Edoras, where you may lay your plaint at the feet of your sovereign, who shall in mercy and munificence succor you.  You are not forgotten, though you live far to the north of your king, and some men might think you vulnerable.  The arm of your king is long, and wields a sword mighty for justice."

So Himbaláth went back to bring the Elves and their horses and supplies, and Legolas went with Fram into the ruins of the village.  There some of the men spread their cloaks upon the ground, and bid the Elf lord sit, and Fram sat before him.  The people gathered round, still afraid but with stirrings of hope, for they saw that the Elf was fair of face and of word, and gentle in tongue and deed, and some of the smaller children, forswearing their mothers' skirts, crept forward to gaze in wonder at him.  And Fram told Legolas all he could of the men who had come upon them.

"We were not taken unawares, my lord, when the horsemen came; a rider came to us, the evening ere they arrived, giving warning and saying: 'Flee!  Flee the wrath of Bréawine, who seeks to take these lands for his own!'  But we did not believe him, for he was crazed, and we had heard tell of that man before, how he had lost his holdings through ill-use, and had shamed himself by effrontery toward the queen, and bethought to ourselves he had at last lost his mind, for he raved at us, and seemed to us to have eaten nor slept in weeks.  'Go away!' we said to him; 'we will hear no more of your outlandish threats.  Next you will tell us the ghosts are upon us!'  And some of us laughed.  But he was adamant, and would not leave the gates, saying to us, 'Flee, ere your doom o'ertakes you!'  Some of the women brought to him food and drink, hoping that would sate him, but he would not leave, still begging us to take our families and go.

"Ten days shall it be on the morrow," Fram said, shaking his gray head.  "Ten days ere we saw the horsemen upon that hill, the very one, my lord, that you and your friend came down.  Bearing swords and spears they were, and lit torches, and the man at our gates said:  'Quickly, quickly!  Take your people and go, ere they slay you!'  But we had just brought in our grain, our wheat and our barley and our oats, and harvested the apples off our trees, and I was unwilling to abandon this bounty before I knew what the men wanted.  So I went forth from the palisade and enquired of them what they sought.  And the man who had come to us followed me, entreating me, saying I went to my death; when the horsemen saw him they knew him, and mocked him, and told him his fate was sealed, for he had betrayed them, and they would take him back to their lord, and torment him 'til he died.  And they took hold of him, and beat him, though he cursed them; the last I saw of him they had him bound, and two of the horsemen lead him away.  Then I saw that the men were evil, and I rebuked them, and demanded they let us be.  But they were greater in number than we, and they laughed at me, and their leader said to me: 'Out of the way, old graybeard!  We come to slay and burn, lest you swear your allegiance unto our lord!'  'And who is this lord,' asked I, 'who draws our duty from Éomer King?' 'Bréawine Lord of the West Emnet,' said they, 'and if you bow not before him we shall slay you all, man, woman and child, and take for ourselves what we like.'

"Now, my lord, I am an old man, and our village small; yet I saw no reason to swear fealty unto a man who had no hold on us save fear.  I am a king's man, and fought under Théoden ere he was enchanted by the wizard, and when I heard his sister-son Éomer had assumed the throne my heart swelled within me.  I knew naught of this Bréawine save he was but a petty lord with a head over-large for his heritage, and crowned with disloyalty and treason, and had so stirred up Errakh-Hem of the Dunlendings against us that it was all we could do to keep our holdings from being overrun.  And every man under me when examined said the same:  Éomer is our king, and we bow to no other; we have said our oaths and would fain discard them, even with fire and death at our gates.

"Well I knew we were outnumbered, and my people doomed, so I said to the horsemen: 'Take what you want and go, but let not our blood be upon your heads, for we are all of the Mark, and my people are your brothers.  Leave us instead to our empty winter and let the elements dispose of us, so that you shall be blameless at least of our deaths.'  For I thought, 'If they but take our goods and let us live, we might make it as far as Edoras and plead the king's justice.'  But not content to hold to our parley they threw their torches upon the roofs of our homes, and tore down our palisade and set fire to it, and some of their men did attempt to take upon their saddles our young girls to carry them off.  Then did my men take up arms to protect them, and some were slain, and many wounded, and the horsemen went at will then through the village, taking and burning and killing, until all was afire and we were constrained to flee to the riverbank.  There we stood and watched the men take our horses, and our herds, and all our goods, our waggons loaded with barrel and sheaf, while our village burned to the ground.  And ere the men departed their leader came to me and said: 'All loyal to King Éomer get what they deserve: Poverty, ruin, and death!'  And striking me upon the cheek he knocked me to the earth, and turned and mounted his horse, and they rode away, laughing at us and crying:  'Now consign us your fate not to the elements but to the ghosts!'

'I had hoped to begin our march to the south, to beg Éomer's benevolence, but with so many wounded and hurt I decided to wait; however there is no food, and no medicines either, so the wounded mortify, and we grow ever weaker, especially our children.  I had feared all should perish upon the journey, which as you know on foot is well nigh eight days, and so this morn had we counseled together, to send five men to Edoras, and we should await the king's troops.  But you, my lord, have forestalled us, and blessings be upon your fair head for it!  I am but a simple man and know not the lands whence you came, nor have I heard tell your father's name; but though Man you may not be I consign my fate and my people's wellbeing unto you, and not ghosts nor elements as the horsemen did say to me, for all can see you are as good as your face, and I should trust you though I know not your race nor realm."

Legolas during his tale had looked grieved, and angered as well, for the news of such pitiless devastation tore at his heart.  He said:  "O Fram son of Feldwine, how your forefathers would have praised you, had they seen with such wisdom and faithfulness you held to oath and undertaking!  I do swear this unto you, good father, that I shall rest not ere these men be found and chastised.  Yet I am puzzled most as to this man who came to you, who was not unknown to you, to warn you of the coming fire; who was he, and whence came he?"

"His name is, or was for I am certain he is by now dead, Brytta of the Westfold," said Fram, and taking note of Legolas' face he said:  "Ah!  I see you have heard tell of him too!"

"Indeed I have," said Legolas.  "Moreover I have tried myself against him, and it came to a draw, though it was but in tourney.  A hard man from all accounts, yet to his credit Éomer told me he was faithful to the throne, though he disdained all lands save Rohan."

"Yes," said Fram.  "We know little of him, for his holdings were far from ours; yet what we heard did not increase our confidence in him, for by all accounts he had let slip his reason."

"Well," said Legolas looking pained, "I have this from the king, that Brytta has driven three esquires from him, and was so intractable no man would let him have a daughter to wife; he publicly reproached Éomer for taking a foreign bride, and so lost his knighthood, for your king is not a man to be opposed so.  Since then he has been constrained to sell his lands, and wanders about, complaining that the borders are shrinking, and the Mark losing its might.  He disappeared several years ago and naught was heard of him, and Éomer did tell me he feared Brytta was dead.  'Twas a great pity, he said, for if one took not into account his disagreeable nature, Brytta was a devoted knight, and a fearsome one, and one well-worth having by one's side in a fight."  Legolas sighed then, and rested his chin in his hands.  "Poor Brytta!" he said, and looked sad.  "How he hated me, and how I desired to make peace with him!  Yet he has for himself this legacy at least, that his last act was an endeavor to save the lives of many people, and clear defiance against those who would take his king's rule."

"Yes," said Fram; "when I think of his death I am saddened, for had I but heeded him none of my people should have been slain."

"You do not know that," said Legolas comforting him.  "Bréawine's men acted in treachery and cruelty, and it is possible they should have pursued you, and done the more damage.  But hark!  Hear you the sound of hoof-beats upon the earth?  My people are come to you; I perceive their merry voices in the wind."

Sure enough the villagers when they ran to the ruined palisade saw descending the hill Himbaláth, bearing his lord's standard, and behind him the great destriers of Dale, upon whose backs rode Legolas' people singing a song of consolation.  Himbaláth had put by his side Andunië and Hirilcúllas, so that the women and children would feel no terror, and Legolas smiled to see the three of them at the head of the vanguard, for Himbaláth was golden and shining, and Andunië like polished copper, and Hirilcúllas dark and sleek as a raven's wing.  Fram welcomed them gratefully, and the Elves all dismounted and moved about the villagers, speaking kindly, and passing round food – smoked meats, and flat bread, and dried fruit and nuts.  Soon all the children were clustered round Hirilcúllas, who had secreted within her pockets many sweets, and these she gave unto them to distract them, while Andunië treated their hurts.  After the children did Andunië and Kainendulin tend to the others who had been injured, anointing their wounds with unguents, and binding them up with clean cloths.

During this time Legolas directed the pitching of tents, for it was coming toward evening, and he wanted the people well-rested ere they set out for Edoras in the morning.  And he also sent out Lirlindil and Romastáldë, to determine where the horsemen had gone, and if there was aught about to cause concern.  He stood with Himbaláth looking over the village as the sun set, watching his people go to and fro, succoring and helping, singing and laughing, and the villagers soon were singing as well.  Legolas turned to his lieutenant and said:  "Well!  Here is some good done, and some news garnered as well, though I am disappointed it is so little, and uneasy on Éomer's account.  This Bréawine is grown bold to so flout the royal law hereabouts."

"Yes," said Himbaláth.  "It becomes ever clearer that King Éomer must needs ride forth, and take this traitor to task."

"Even so, where shall he ride?" asked Legolas, turning his face to the north.  "We know Bréawine is up there, but where stays he; where is his keep, where are his troops?  Rather would I return to Éomer to say, Go you here and slay the turncoat, and not, Here are some refugees, and we think your enemy is somewhere to the north!  To date we have naught but suggestions as to where Bréawine's stronghold might be."

"Should Éomer march now, he might cast about in many directions, and spread his riders over-thin, ere he found the man," agreed Himbaláth.  "And then it should be made the more difficult to conquer, for his men shall be distributed over a great area, and not concentrated against the enemy."

"Well perhaps the scouts might tell us something," said Legolas.  "Look!  They are coming now."

Lirlindil and Romastáldë rode up then, their mounts blowing and foaming; they had run hard.  "My Lord!" said Romastáldë dismounting.  "We did track the miscreants as far as the stream to the west; they forded it not eight days hence and pushed so northward.  There is a track, my Lord, leading towards Fangorn and further west, but you did tell us to go but five leagues and return, and so here we are."

"And you saw naught else on the way?" asked Legolas.  "No men, no beasts?"

"No, nor ghosts," laughed Romastáldë.  "For myself I do not believe there are any out here; I think it is naught but rumor."

"A persistent one though," said Legolas.  He turned to Himbaláth.  "Now, Little One, shall I charge you with orders that shall be little to your liking!  I shall take me Lirlindil here upon a fresh horse, and me upon my Piukka, and go see what we might find to the north-west, and you shall take upon yourself the duty of squiring these folk to Edoras.  Should Lirlindil and I discover Bréawine's keep, or garner knowledge equally valuable, we shall come back; but your way shall be slower than ours, for many of you must walk, and we might meet you upon the plains ere you gain the door of Meduseld."

"My Lord," protested Himbaláth, "would it not be more prudent to send me?  Lirlindil and I might do the selfsame work that you place upon yourself; why should you risk your royal person, when I should do as well?"

"Dear Himbaláth!" said Legolas kindly.  "I doubt not your abilities or your courage, and know full well that you should accomplish this task as well as can I.  But I should like to do this for my friend Éomer, to find this man who so harries him and aid in bringing the traitor to justice; and also my heart burns on account of Brytta, who though he hated me deserves at least to have his fate discovered, and if he be not yet dead, perhaps I might save him.  I owe him that at least, to pay him back for his ignominy upon the lists, which I visited upon his poor head.  So do you not quarrel with me, Little One, but take up for yourself the staff of headship over these people, and bring them safely to their sovereign's steps."

"Very well, my Lord," said Himbaláth, though he looked unhappy.  "And what shall I do, should we arrive at Edoras, and you follow not?  For if you are delayed three days past that time, Meivel shall insist to send out a search-party for you."

"That decision I shall leave to Éomer," said Legolas, "for these are his lands and not ours, and should more of us be found wandering in the Wold it shall certainly signal to Bréawine that we are on his trail.  Nay, good lieutenant; wait you upon the will of the king of Rohan, for I would fain have it said we came to help and ended hindering."

"As you wish it!" said Himbaláth, and with a smile Legolas went to fetch his destrier.  And before the sun set fully the two Elves set off, pressing into the violet shadows of the west, disappearing at last even from Himbaláth's bright seeking eyes.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List