Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

(A/N: My apologies to those of you who were puzzled by my misuse of the word "vilification" in Ch. 14 – I had meant to type "veneration" but apparently my brain was tired.  Oh well, that's what I get for trying to write fanfic after going to a Flogging Molly concert … Many thanks to Rivergirl, Lyn, and Lamiel for pointing it out to me!  Can you tell I haven't had a beta since Ch. 12 of The Green Knight

 

I also apologize for how long it's taken me to complete this chapter.  My muse died, or fell asleep, or something.  I think I need to put an ad in the classifieds for a new one.  "MWF ISO fanfic muse, spelling skills helpful, must like plot twists and char. dev., canon/AU OK, no smokers."

 

-- Le Rouret)

The Dwarves standing round the Hall cheered as the Lord of Dol Galenehtar swung his huntsmistress about in the complicated steps of the Bariz-Sigin.  It was a Dwarvish dance not an Elvish one, which perhaps contributed to their pleasure at its performance, and by a race historically opposed to them at that; and of course to see it done well, and by two such fair folk, accompanied by Dwarvish minstrels, made the event all that much more enjoyable.  Some clapped along, marking the counter-point, and others muttered into their beards the formulae and equations the two Elves set against each other.  Now and again Legolas or Andunië would put up a new challenge, and the Dwarves would chuckle and exchange knowing looks; yet the dancers faltered not, their eyes fixed upon the other's, testing, trying, calculating, stamping and clapping and stepping lightly amongst the rushes, green and white skirts swirling, golden and copper hair floating.  The tallow candles and oil lamps smoked and flickered, and the torches crackled and popped; the Rohirrim watching though comprehending not the method of the dance caught well the meaning, and watched the dancers' feet to see if one or the other would falter.  They laughed, and shouted loudly to each other, or banged their ale-cups upon the trestles, and stamped their feet in time to the music.

The Elves of Dol Galenehtar were cheering too, and were evenly divided; some shouted encouragement to their lord, saying:  "Again, again!  Try a new one!  Do not let her beat you again!" and some to Andunië:  "Hold firm, hold fast!  You have won against him these many years; do not let him trip you up!"  At Tathársul's merry suggestion the Dwarves increased the tempo, and the crowd roared with delight; Legolas and Andunië were perspiring in the heat of the hall, and from their concentration too; their faces were set and determined.  But after a few moments Gimli shouted, "O ho!" and Bandobras' small voice piped over the tumult:  "Look!  O bother; he almost had her there!"  The adversaries' faces changed; Legolas was grinning openly, but Andunië had scowled, her green eyes flashing with annoyance; then after a particularly convoluted turn she hesitated but a moment, and it was enough to finish her; with a triumphant shout Legolas declaimed:  "Sixteen, four hundred forty-one and thirty-seven over one thousand three!" and the two dancers stopped, letting the minstrels wind up the reel with a crescendo.  Legolas was laughing, but Andunië looked angry, and very abashed.

" 'Twas the formula for the speed of a twenty-pound stone thrown by sixteen-foot mangonel from the top balcony and the time taken for it to strike the front gates," said Legolas to Andunië, who shook her head in disgust.

"I had thought me 'twas the calculation of the outer curve of the laver in the western olintala," she muttered, discontented; "you near trounced me last Mereth en'Ehtelé with it, and was only my remembrance of the angle betwixt the sun at noontide and Alkarinque at midsummer that saved me."  She hesitated, then asked grudgingly, "Best two of three, my Lord?"

"Hardly!" laughed Legolas.  "Nay, Little One, I hold you to your oath, to do my bidding in regards to your dress, even as you should have held me to mine, to enlarge the mews to rival the Lord of Dale's.  Remember you have but three weeks, so get you to the fitters!  And do you please remember Hirilcúllas; she will help you I am sure, if you but ask."  Andunië gave him a brief curtsey, her face dark with anger, and swept from the hall; Legolas stood watching after her, his eyes twinkling mischievously.  While the minstrels changed places, and emptied their instruments into the hearth and set about tuning and adjusting them, people drifted back to the floor, choosing partners to set a reel.  Gimli came out then, leading Fríma, and Frera his mother accompanied them.

"For shame, Prince Legolas!" Frera chided him, shaking her head; "you well know Andunië has no especial love of finery or pageant, yet you tease her so about her poor green gown.  Why it is a pleasing color on her, and if she disdains lace and button 'tis no shame to her."

"Andunië has worn the selfsame green gown for time out of mind," laughed Legolas, bowing over the Dwarf lady's hand.  "And before this gown 'twas yet another green one – all her gowns are green, and all cut along the same unvarying line; even my Lady Mother could fain change her in this.  But I have done so," he said proudly; "I knew in my heart she could not bear to spurn my challenge, especially as my half of the bargain should have been so dear to her."

"And let me pose a conjecture," said Gimli with a grin; "you had already planned to enlarge the mews – had you not, my friend? – so that if she won you should be out no especial price save vanity, which to you is a worthless commodity; yet if you won she should be constrained to do your bidding, yet be consoled by the new mews.  Am I correct, Legolas?"  To this Legolas did not reply, but winked instead, and taking Frera's hand led her into the reel.  Gimli watched them as they linked hands, his friend sketching a lighthearted jig while the minstrels played a practice measure, his lady mother laughing at him, and shook his head.  "The sly scamp!" he grumbled, but Fríma heard the affection in his voice.  "Setting up his poor huntsmistress in such a fashion.  As though we could ever think of Andunië in any color but green!"

"It will be good for her," said Fríma, who was well-known for her love of bright colors; "she is too set in her ways."

"Yes, but to trick her thus; it was not fair.  I like Andunië, and her brother Meivel as well; there is no nonsense to them."

Fríma looked over at the Lord of Dol Galenehtar, who was bandying words with the king and one of the ladies of the court; he was obviously in high spirits, his gray eyes sparkling, his voice light and careless.  Then the reel began, and with a flourish Legolas took Frera down the middle of the line.  His white robes sparkled and the spiky mithril crown flashed; his hair like flax floated out behind him, and he was laughing gaily.  "There is certainly plenty of nonsense in him," she said disapprovingly.

"Well, yes," agreed Gimli, starting the jig and smiling over at Legolas and his Lady Mother, who approached tripping lightly beneath everyone's upstretched arms.  "But it is such delightful nonsense."

After several reels and gavottes, Éomer sent round his seneschal to collect sundry members of the festivities: Legolas and Bandobras, and Meivel and Himbaláth, Gimli and Nórin his cousin and Frera his mother, Éothain and Éodor and diverse others of his own men.  They met in a dark courtyard by a fountain, and Éomer set guards about it so they would not be approached, and the noise and chatter of the water in the fountain obscured their words so none hanging round the periphery might overhear them.  Frera was given a chair, and the other men found stools or stones to sit upon; the Green Knight however sat upon the pavers at Frera's side, and lay his head in her lap; both Meivel and Gimli stood behind them, and looked upon the two with fond indulgence, though the Green Knight's esquire looked askance, and seemed concerned about the condition of his master's robes.  Himbaláth sat on the edge of the fountain with Bandobras, his head in his hands and eyes downcast; he looked weary, and the hobbit betimes glanced up at him, eyebrows puckering worriedly, swinging his small feet above the cobblestones.  Éomer sat upon another chair, and his men stood round him, though Éothain being advanced in years had secured a small wooden stool and stretched his long legs out stiffly, grimacing.

"I am too old to dance," he muttered discontentedly, rubbing his knee.  "O why do I let my wife chivy me into it each time?  You are cruel to me, O King; you know my knee is painful, so why do you tempt my Thólawyn thus, to drag me away from my cups and out upon the rushes?"

"Well the ladies like it," said Frera with a chuckle, stroking Legolas' pale hair which spilled like liquid silver across her lap.  "And the exercise is good for you, Éothain; when you are dancing you cannot drink mead, and the less mead you drink the better your head shall feel when the sun rises tomorrow."

"Yes, and speaking of mead," said Bandobras, his brown eyes flashing indignantly, "what were you thinking, Éothain, giving Fastred a cup like that?  He is only twelve you know, and he oughtn't to be drinking that stuff."

Éomer looked at Éothain in surprise, and Éothain coughed.  "It was only a little sweet mead," he said; "it was not enough to do anyone any harm, and he shall be a man soon, and shall have need to be well-prepared to drink it at all times; besides which as I said it was but a small cup."

"But he is not a man yet," said Éomer, smiling in spite of himself.  "Do you please remember, O Éothain, that setting the heir drunk his first night at Meduseld is no good way to endear yourself to your king."

"It was but a small cup," the man mumbled blushing, and Legolas laughed.

"Even I, who am known for my permissiveness and leniency with Fastred, have yet to give him mead," he said; "wine watered down perhaps, and I know on occasion a sip of ale, but that is all; he is a child still."

"Is it for that reason then, O Green Knight, he rides upon a gelding?" asked Féor who stood beside his king.  "It seems to us passing strange for a prince to ride a gelding, for in the Mark all boys of noble rank are given stallions to ride from a very young age."

"I had seen that," said Legolas; "for what reason are the boys of Rohan given such stiff duty?  For stallions can be difficult, and boys are not always strong enough to control them; in Gondor where Fastred has been raised the custom is to withhold the stallion until the boy achieves majority."

"Stallions are fiercer fighters," said Éomer; "when engaged in battle a stallion shall be more a weapon in the rider's hand than a gelding."

"Karakse did well in his first battle," said Himbaláth from where he sat, raising his head from his hands.  "He was afraid but he did not shy or bolt."

"True," said Bandobras, "but he's not up to Piukka's or Taruku's standards.  He ought to have helped Fastred out a bit, by stomping round, or kicking, or biting, or something like that, but he's too gentle and soft-hearted.  Now, if Tyarmayél hadn't gone and cut off his – "

"Bandy!" interrupted Gimli with a roar; the hobbit jumped, looked round at the assembly, especially at Gimli's lady mother who covered a smile with her fingers, and the king, who looked as though he wanted to laugh but didn't dare.  "You do not say such things in noble company," growled Gimli; "especially when there is a lady present!"

"I was only going to say his bits and pieces," Bandobras said crossly; "and anyway everyone here knows the difference between a stallion and a gelding is that the stallion still has his – "

Gimli gave an inarticulate cry, and the men laughed; even Meivel smiled.  Legolas reached over Frera's lap and touched his esquire's mouth with the tips of his fingers; he said gently:  "Now, O Little One, do you please hold your tongue; acquainted with husbandry we may be, but it is unseemly to speak of the gelding's mortification."

"But I wasn't going to say it then," said Bandobras looking injured.  "What I was going to say is, a stallion still has his confidence, you know, and a load of brass, and plenty of fight, and don't mind biting and kicking and such, but gelding's ain't like that because they don't have any – "

"BANDY!"

"Aggressiveness!  Good heavens!" cried the hobbit much beleaguered; "why do you always think the worst of me, Gimli?  I wasn't going to say testicles at all!"

Legolas burst out laughing then, and the others joined in, even Frera, though Gimli shook his head in disgust; Bandobras blushed scarlet and put his chin in his hands, grumbling to himself that Gimli had got him in trouble again.  As for the King of Rohan Éomer laughed heartily, glad for the chance of mirth in his dark hours; finally he wiped the tears from his eyes, and gathered the attention of his council together.

"Well, let us see what we might do, to lighten the mood of the Mark as our mood has been lightened here," he said, smiling round at them.  "Though I am pained to admit it there are those even within my city walls whom I cannot trust, so I have gathered you together, O my friends, you who have shown yourselves to be so faithful in the past.  Gimli Lord of Aglarond, you and your people have enriched us, and stood by us to help defend the Westfold; that your Lady Mother joins us is testament to our hope and friendship in the Children of Durin.  And you, O Nórin, have proved to be staunch and canny, keeping your ear to the ground, and your words well-guarded; your confidence has served us again and again, and I thank you for it."  Nórin bowed, and Lady Frera nodded and smiled.  "Legolas Prince of Mirkwood, O Green Knight; with our friend Gimli you have fought by my side and proved yourself a true and faithful ally; word of your munificence has run abroad and you are well-known as a defender and protector, from the Lord of Amon Din to the smallest babe taken untimely from her mother's womb."

"Do you present that latter point as a subtle inference, O Éomer King?" asked Legolas smiling and raising his eyebrows; Éomer coughed and continued quickly:  "Bandobras your esquire I trust implicitly, for he is one of the holbytla, and precious in my sight to all my house; he is cousin also to a knight of the Mark, and for that reason trustworthy.  And Meivel, you who guard so well and so resolutely your lord's lands and well-being; your bravery and singleness of thought is as well-known as your obedience to his commands, and 'twould be foolish to ever doubt your word or your honor.  You also, Himbaláth his first lieutenant, who are light-hearted yet a fierce warrior, swift to battle and a terror to your enemies; I am honored by your attendance here.

"And you, Éothain; you have been my faithful friend and brother-in-arms since we were small boys together; I have all confidence in you, that you shall support my kingship and preserve the house of Éomund.  And you men here – Éodor and Féor and Fenwine and Gálef – many years have you fought by my side, contending for peace and prosperity in this kingdom.  You are loyal not only to me, but to my queen, and to my allies; you have sworn to take as your allies mine own, and your friends my friends.   So sit you here with me, to give unto me your wisdom and stanchion, for I am troubled, and do not know what to do.

"You have heard, O Men of the Mark, the remarkable tales that the Lord of Dol Galenehtar has told; firstly, that Théalof mine ambassador has attempted to abduct mine heir from Dol Galenehtar's very halls, and after striving to spread further discord in Amon Din has summarily vanished, so that the miscreant runs abroad working through his machinations, which so far are unknown to us, but give sufficient evidence that he plots high treason against mine own house.  Indeed we have heard tell of him, but search for him in vain; some hope he has fled through the Gap and so north to the Greenway, but I am of differing estimation; I believe him in Rohan still, awaiting such time as he might further his plots, knowing I am displeased with him. And we have heard from Prince Legolas also that men of Rohan, now unknown but soon to be discovered, dressed in dissembling guise as Dunlendings, did set upon them and attack them at the Mering three days hence, seeking to slaughter not only these Elvish innocents but mine own heir Fastred son of Faramir; declining in desperation capture they did slay themselves, so that no speerings should reach our ear of their master.  Fenwine, O captain of the East Emnet, you have seen the trinkets and brooches and weapons of these men; can you say you recognize any of them, so that we might determine who was behind this nefarious attack?"

"Nay, O King," said Fenwine; "I and diverse others have examined the items in question, and they are strange to us; however Féor here thought perchance he might identify them another way."

"It is this, O King," said Féor stepping forward; in one hand he held a belt buckle, much stained and crusted with mud.  With one finger he worried off a dried chunk of it, sparkling and catching the light as he moved it, and held it upon his palm.  "I have spoken with Nórin," he said; "he is in accord with me; the flecks of stone in the mud here are feldspar and fool's gold, which are not found around the Mering, nor in this part of our lands.  However the dirt in the Westfold, particularly round the borders of Fangorn, is full of it; it flows down the streams and chokes the rivers, and it is for that reason some say the Isen and Onodló flow with stars."

"It is the rock in Hithaeglir," said Gimli; "the Misty Mountains are full of it, and those waters flow through Fangorn and into Rohan."

"So the men who attacked us were of the north Westfold," said Legolas, "or at least had been there of late, and spent enough of their time there to get satisfactorily dirty."

"So it would appear," said Féor.  "I know not how else the man who bore this belt could otherwise have had so great an encrustation of feldspar."

"Also I looked upon the devices brought to us by Lord Legolas," said Gálef; "there are designs upon some of the weaponry that suggests the bearers trace their ancestries back to Helm Hammerhand, and not to Edoras."

"Well you all know 'twould not be the first time the Kings of the Mark have had to contend with Hammerhand's heirs," said Éomer with a dour smile.  "It is odd however that those bearing his ensign should hail from so far north; however with our friends the Dwarves in Aglarond perchance they find the Deep too unfriendly."

"There is more," said Frera; her face was troubled.  "We traveled from Aglarond to foregather with you, O Éomer King, and to enjoy the hospitality of your house; also however we have grim news, for the folk about Helm's Deep are harassed and confused, and my son has closed his gates."

"Alas, yes!" said Gimli.  "From the fords of Isen to the north Westfold are men gathering together; some are Dunlendings it is true, forced from their holdings in Dunland below the Greenway, casting about and burning as they go; others though are your own men, O Éomer, who cry for justice and freedom but seem to me to be seeking it on their own terms.  There is a man called Bréawine who has promised it to them they say; he gathers men to himself south of the borders of Fangorn, and Nórin here has heard men speak of a fortress constructed there, and an amassing of numbers behind his walls; some of my folk have been approached concerning its formation, but have declined claiming loyalty to me alone; however we are troubled, O Éomer King, that this Bréawine should set your kingdom so upon its ear, and seek to divide it north-to-south."

"Him again!" exclaimed Bandobras.  "And I thought Théalof was bad."

"Bad enough," sighed Éomer.  "Mine own cousin too!  His mother was kin to Morwen's daughters.  And when you, O my friend, did tell me of his attempt to take Fastred for himself, my heart set to stone within me.  I have been suspicious of him and his sly deeds in Gondor for some time, yet did not wish to recall him, thinking he could cause less damage away from home than in it; however now that I know he has designs against my house I am eager to put him down."

"I shall gladly aid you in this, Éomer King," said Meivel bowing; "I have a score to settle with him."  And he gestured to his arm, bound with straps and set in a sling.

"Well perhaps you ought to let your arm heal first, friend Elf," said Féor kindly, but Himbaláth gave a short laugh and said:  "O have you no fear, man of Rohan!  My friend Meivel is fierce enough to slay a man, as it is said, with one arm tied behind his back."

"You flatter me, Himbaláth," said Meivel, his face bland, and Himbaláth's laugh sounded more genuine then.

"All the same," said Legolas firmly, "I shall risk no harm to my captain; you remain safely here, O Meivel, and lift neither sword nor spear save in defense of yourself or another, ere your wound is sufficiently healed."

"Yes, my Lord," said Meivel, though he looked discontented.

"Well, and what do we now?" asked Éothain.  "We have heard much to disturb and little about which to laugh, barring the holbytla's dissertation on gelding; do we go to Helm's Deep, and secure the lands there; do we go searching for Bréawine by Fangorn, and tear down his castle; do we search for Théalof, who has so strangely gone missing; do we look for the King of Gondor's messengers, who are also truant?  And what shall we do about the Dunlendings?"

Before Éomer could answer there was the sound of hoofbeats approaching from behind the Hall and up to the courtyard, clattering over the cobblestones, and the guards' voices expostulating; then a man's voice rose over the sound of the fountain:  "Bring me to Éomer King!  I have dire news for him!"

"Why it is Híldaf!" cried Legolas springing to his feet; all the others save Frera rose as well.  "Bring him here!  He is an old friend; surely we might trust to his counsel."

The guards brought Híldaf forward.  He was no longer the underfed and fearful esquire he had been when first he made acquaintance of the Green Knight and his strange retainers; he was a knight himself, and counted a brave man, though his wealth was reckoned in children not gold.  He was tall, and very quick and strong, though when he drew near to their torchlight all could see he was very much agitated, and dirty and weary from hard riding.

"Hail, Éomer King!" he cried striding forward, and presenting his sword to his sovereign.  He looked round the assembly and exclaimed with surprise:  "And hail, O Green Knight, and Gimli of Aglarond, and Bandobras of the Shire!  Happy am I to see you here at Edoras; perhaps with your help we might be victorious."

"What is it, O Híldaf?" asked Éomer.  "What news from the Westfold?"

"Fire and smoke, O King!" said Híldaf wearily, sheathing his sword and removing his helm, letting his long yellow braids shake free.  "As you know I and sundry others have remained loyal to you in the arguments against your throne and authority, and now we are harried from our lands; men flock northward to Bréawine, and some are speaking of treaties with other lords, to so divide Rohan and make of one kingdom two.  Indeed they have claimed a capital already, and gather there; they are confident you will cede these lands to them, though I know not for what reason."

"What of Helm's Deep?" asked Éothain.  "What of the peoples who live south in the West Emnet?"

"Most of the men have left," said Híldaf; "the women and children are in the Deep.  Some go to join with Bréawine, but most I know go reluctantly, and hide their families within the deep for protection, knowing the Lord of Aglarond is yet friendly to our king.  And there are some, as you know, O King, that have gone simply to spy out the lay of the land; we are never certain who is loyal and who is a traitor though, so we must sift through the messages as they come, and determine who to trust, and who to reject."

"At least the Deep is secure," said Gimli; "I will send Nórin back with word to my people to hold it for you, O Éomer.  That way the women and children will be safe."

"My thanks," said Híldaf.  "Éodild and my little brood are there.  At least I know Léodwyn my sister-daughter is safe here in Meduseld."

"Yes," said Legolas with a smile; "safe, and making a goodly impression upon Éomer's sister-son; at least in this fashion we might keep it in the family"

Híldaf laughed, but Bandobras exclaimed, "O Master!  Can't anyone here think nothing of this?  So he's made a little friend; that don't mean nothing will come of it."

"There is more, O King," said Híldaf to Éomer.  "There have been reports of villages razed and folk slain by the Dunlendings, north by the borders of Fangorn.  But when I try to send men to gather information none will go."

"Why not?" asked Meivel.  "Are they disloyal too?"

"Nay, good Elf, not at all," said Híldaf.  "They fear Bréawine, and they fear – " he hesitated, then said, his voice low:  "the ghosts."

"Ghosts!" cried Legolas.  "There; first Arúlf tells us there are ghosts, and now you, dear Híldaf.  What is this talk of ghosts?  Do the spirits of the ones slain upon the northern plains of the Westfold walk about beneath the eves of Fangorn?  I should not have thought the Ents would allow it, though to be sure it complements the brooding feel of the forest, which I am sure suits their purposes well."

"It is no jest, Legolas," said Éomer.  "Rumors of the dead walking through the ruins of the villages and towns have run round this entire summer; as early as spring have folk reported the shades lurking about the tall grasses, or slinking about the boles of trees, or ducking in the ruins of houses.  And of late the rumors have increased; people descry these shades in the daytime now, though they report the ghosts appear to be pale and insubstantial, and leery of being seen."

"But surely you do not believe there are ghosts in the West Emnet," scoffed Bandobras.

"I do," said Féor; his face was gray.  "I have seen them – pale and silent, with great staring eyes; they drift soundless through the trees and flicker and vanish."  And he shivered as though with cold.

"Yes," Gálef said, "I have spoken with men – brave men – who have heard and seen things they understand not; laughter, and low eerie voices, and eyes moving in the dark.  And one of mine own brothers did say to me, that when a village near him was attacked by Dunlendings, and the people slain, that in the morning the bodies of the children were gone – they had been taken and eaten by the ghosts that dwell there now."  He shook his head.  "If Bréawine wishes to have the lands so haunted he is welcome to them."

"I cannot believe that," cried Legolas.  "Why the lands belong to Éomer and not to Bréawine; haunted or no we must wrest them from this miscreant's grip!  Éomer, I have with me forty good and strong warriors, and you have within these walls several hundreds more.  Let us go up to the north West Emnet you and I; we shall find Bréawine ourselves and chastise him well, and settle the matter."

"I would gladly go but I should go alone," said Éomer.  "My men will not go up there; other men they will fight, though they be their own brothers, at my command; but I cannot lead them against ghosts."

"Piffle!" said Bandobras.  "There's no such thing as ghosts."

"O yes there is," said Legolas and Gimli said at the same time:  "There are; I have seen them!" Bandobras looked at them in surprise, and the assembly went silent.  "We have traveled through Dunharrow into dead lands and met with the dead," said Legolas to Bandobras; the hobbit's face went white.  "They were there; we were among them, and spoke to them."

"But – but," said Bandobras much alarmed, "if there are ghosts and the ghosts are up in the north of Rohan, what shall we do about Bréawine?"

"Let him have the ghosts, if he wants!" said Fenwine, but Éothain said:  "Nay!  We ought not concede these lands to that varlet; ghosts or no those lands belong to us, and we must needs wrest them back."

"That is all very well," said Éomer with a grim smile.  "Will you go then, and face both ghosts and Bréawine?"

"Well, I am old, my Lord," said Éothain stammering and blushing; "I have not the strength nor stamina I possessed in my youth, or surely I should go."  Gálef smirked at that, and Fenwine gave a humorless laugh.

"So I see!" said Éomer.  "What about you, Féor?  Gálef?  Fenwine?  No, not even you, Híldaf?  You see, my friends; twenty years ago this would not have been a problem; we did not believe in such supernatural things.  But then the King of Gondor returns, and we meet up with such creatures as the holbytla, and Dwarves, and Elves, and Ents, and the Dead come to the aid of the King of Gondor; now my people are chary, knowing the shades and monsters of faery-land are not so far off as we had thought before.  I will fight orcs and goblins and trolls; I will do battle against wildmen and Dunlendings and Haradrim and even fierce beasts in the wild, such as bears and lions and dragons.  Any of my men would gladly come with me, if I gave the call to fight them.  But ghosts?  You cannot kill ghosts; what can a man do against them?  Their weapons are madness and fear and confusion and darkness, and sword nor spear nor shield avail to conquer them.  We are helpless against such things, for we are but Men, and the shades of our mortality press close against us and against our families."

"Even Bréawine fears them, or so I have heard," said Híldaf; "he hangs mistletoe and bells and vials filled with absinthe and rue to ward off the ghosts, and will not go out riding lest he carries talismans of peridot, and knots of cats' hair with him."

"Well, if it works for Bréawine, can your men not use them?" asked Legolas.  "Surely if we tied vials of absinthe to your steeds' saddles – "

"I have no absinthe," said Éomer shortly; Éothain added:  "And I hope, O Green Knight, you do not suggest we bell our horses; we might then go charging into Bréawine's arms with trumpet blast proclaiming our coming, that he might assemble his own men and ride us down."

"Well then," said Legolas, "we consign your people to his predations if your men fear to tread haunted lands.  It is strange to me that you should fear the dead, but as you are mortals and I am not perchance I cannot see them through your eyes."

"Count yourself fortunate," said Gimli with a shudder; "I would go myself, for I have faced the dead, but I would go unwillingly, and I am not at all certain I should be much good, should they appear.  Men I will fight, but how does a Dwarf battle a ghost?"

"Well, why should you go at all?" asked Himbaláth.  "I fear not the shades of men, nor do any other Elves.  My lord, why do we not go in the men's stead?  To be sure we cannot drive off Bréawine, for we are few against his many, but at least we could go to see if there be any survivors and bring them back, and find out if there are truly ghosts, or if it be but a rumor to confound the king's men."

"We could indeed," said Legolas brightening; he turned to Éomer and said:  "Well, my friend?  Will you concede us this?  We will go, bring back the survivors, find out what we can, and return to you with all the news we can gather; also if there be some mystery attending these ghosts we will unravel it if we can, so your men may be assured in their minds that there is naught to fear."

Bandobras leapt to his feet, his small face white.  "Master," he said, his voice trembling, "I know what you're going to say, and so I'll just say this right now and have done with it.  I'll go with you.  I don't care if there's ghosts; I don't want to be left behind while all of you go a-charging off like this."

"My Bandobras," said Legolas kindly, kneeling and taking his esquire into his arms.  "How brave you are!  But there is no need for you to go, nor to make such startling speeches!  Beside poor Bumblebee should never keep up with us; his legs are far too short, and it is a hard three-day ride to Fangorn's edge."

"In addition I have not said whether or not I approve of this plan," said Éomer.  Legolas looked at him in surprise.

"Why, what is there to disapprove?" he asked.  "We go; we help; we come back.  People are saved, information is gathered, your position is strengthened, and we do not fear ghosts."  When Éomer hesitated Legolas pleaded:  "O Éomer!  Let not your pride be your undoing; have pity on your men, and on yourself as well! There are some things it is best to not have to face.  Wights, for example; ghosts do not bother me, but wights give me a terrible chill – woof!  They cannot hurt me but I still do not like to be round them; it is like a crinkly cold finger walking up one's spine."  The men and Dwarves shivered, though Legolas did not notice; he was saying thoughtfully:  "And black flies – I could never bear black flies – disgusting creatures."

"Bats," said Fenwine pulling a face; "I do not like bats."

"O I like bats," said Legolas cheerfully.  "They eat flies.  Well, Éomer?  What say you?  Shall I muster my warriors and head north?  It would be wise, my friend, for then you shall get your information yet keep the confidence of your Marshalls, who I am sure like ghosts no better than you do, and should falter beneath your orders to go."

"I am hesitant," said Éomer heavily; "your offer is generous, O Green Knight, and I recognize the wisdom of this, but it galls me to send you on such an errand, when mine own men fear to follow."

" 'Tis fear alone impedes them, not disloyalty," said Frera; "besides if the Elves fear not the dead, and offer their services willingly, why should you not use them so?  Tell them to go, and when they return we shall know better what to do."

Éomer thought for a moment, then at last he took a deep breath and said:  "Very well.  Nórin, go you to Aglarond and secure it against Bréawine or Théalof there; with your lord's permission stand firm and guard my people so that I shall not lose the entire West Emnet.  And Legolas … "  He sighed and shook his head.  "Take you a goodly number of your canniest warriors and go to the north; bring back what people you can, and see if you can find where Bréawine is hiding.  And if there are indeed ghosts tell me what we can do to drive them off!  The lands up there are fertile and I would fain lose that income, especially if all it would take is some incantation, or cairn, or spell to so free us of their influence."

"Excellent!" said Legolas, rubbing his long hands together. "Himbaláth, gather thirty warriors – "

"My lord – " began Meivel looking pained; Legolas frowned at him.

"Did I not tell you, O Meivel, stay here, ere your wound is healed?  Himbaláth as your lieutenant shall act in your stead; you shall remain at Meduseld and await our return."

"But – " said Meivel, however his lord frowned at him and said:

"My command, O captain."

Meivel dropped his eyes.  "Yes, my lord," he said.  He stood silently as Legolas took his leave of the assembly and of his esquire, but his face was mulish, for he wished also to go.

"Legolas," said Gimli; his face was pained.  "I wish to go with you, for I have faced the dead before; however if you turn Bandobras back because of his pony – "

"My dear Dwarf," said Legolas with a laugh, "are you asking to bounce at my backside like a piece of baggage, like you did many years ago?  I had thought your propriety would rise up in protest to that!  Nay, my friend; I know your heart is steadfast and true, but this is a long ride for you to dangle such; besides, why ought you face those fears unreasonably?  We will not be gone long; set your heart at ease, Gimli, and stay you here, at least to restrain Bandobras and Fastred from running after me."

"O very well," grumbled Gimli though he looked relieved.  "But do you please come back quickly.  And do nothing rash!  You are so reckless, Legolas; please do you remember Bréawine is a dangerous man, and Théalof has yet to raise his snakelike head; there could be anything waiting for you up there.  Promise me this, that you will do nothing foolish while you are gone."

"I promise," smiled Legolas embracing him; and Gimli and Meivel watched as Legolas and Himbaláth hurried off together, speaking of weapons and formations and food, and the captain glowered after them.  Bandobras stood by their side watching his Master depart, and when the last white glow from the two Elves' heads had vanished around a corner he said to Meivel:

"At least you only have a broken arm.  I can't go because I'm too short, and that won't never heal."

Meivel's face softened.  "Disparage not your height, O Bandobras of the Shire," he said.  "There are times when the small warrior has the greater advantage; think you Lord Gimli feels his combat impeded by his size?  Betimes I should rather have a battalion of Dwarves and Hobbits than Men by my side!"

"Really?" said Bandobras in surprise, and Gimli laughed and clapped Meivel on the back.

"Betimes said you, O Meivel?" he asked.  "Let me guess – underground, and on foot?"

"Well I should hardly think riding full-tilt across the plain would be the proper venue for either of you," said Meivel.  "But I can think of many things I should like less, than to have the two of you by my side in battle."

"Well then!" said Bandobras looking very pleased.  "Seeing as we don't know what the future will bring, I'd best be grinding the nicks out of my sword – that last man I killed, the dratted fellow had an iron collar round his neck."  And he trotted off in the direction of the Hall in the wake of his Master.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List