Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

Lady Éowyn of Osgiliath sat upon the high chair in the Great Hall, clad in a gown of pale filmy blue overlaid with tiny golden stars; her yellow hair wound about her head like thickly-braided ropes, and upon her slim white neck she wore a gold collar set with gems.  The Hall was quiet, for it was as yet early in the morning; yet even so she had heard five plaints and given just judgment, signed three official letters and set thereupon her seal in blue wax, set two amercements for minor infractions, and met with her advisors concerning the outstanding bill for the repair work on the Pelennor.  The last courtier had just pattered away from her, dissatisfied but with his grievance managed, and Éowyn sat stiffly upon the hard embroidered cushions, wishing the Hall were empty so she could rub her back, which had begun to ache.

She looked round, wondering who would next occupy time better spent in the stables, and gave a fleeting but longing look out the high windows, through which she could see the sky, blue as a robin's egg and likewise speckled though with sparrows; narrow strips of sunlight lay across the gray stone floor mocking her with their warmth.  The peat fires were far from the dais and though summer approached the stone houses of Osgiliath were as yet cold.  And then, proving that though a Shieldmaiden she was foremost a mother, she thought of her eldest with a pain edging upon anger; she ached for his presence, yet when she remembered his flight she ground her teeth in frustration.  And ever in her mind spun the same questions, unanswered yet repeated in round:  Was he well?  Did he truly regret his actions?  When would he come home?  What would she do when he did?  What would she do if he did not?  Did she truly, as she and her husband had decided, want to send him to her brother in Rohan?  The ache began anew and deep within the recesses of her heart she began to doubt her resolve; this angered her for ever had she been stern and unmoving, and to find within herself this duality of spirit dismayed her.  She saw Beregond approaching from the far end of the room, his face purposeful yet unhurried, and let out an impatient sigh; this could mean but one thing:  There was yet another plaintiff to be heard.  She dutifully cast aside thoughts of her comfortable riding-skirt and the feel of Hásef's reins in her hands, and awaited him wearily.  She did not want to hold court; she wanted to escape to the outdoors, to drown out her roiling thoughts and battered heart with the thud of hoofbeats and the whistle of the wind in her ears.  Yet she schooled her expression to one of attentive stateliness; it was a comfortable mask and one she was accustomed to wear at least, and had stood her in good stead during many trials and difficulties in her life, so that she could show a proud and indifferent face to both dependents and detractors.  Beregond gained the dais and bowed deeply to his lady.

"Yes, Beregond?" she said, hoping she did not sound so jaded as she felt.

"My Lady," said Beregond; "I have dismissed the minor courtiers and villeins; you have a guest who though unannounced I am sure supersedes all other plaints and affairs."

"Who is it?" asked Éowyn in surprise.

"Prince Legolas of Eryn Lasgalen, my Lady," said Beregond promptly.  Éowyn frowned at the title given, though she felt deeply relieved it were her champion above all others; she had hoped to foregather with him, to speak with him of her son, and also to receive from his hand her eldest, for whom her heart did writhe in tumult; she did not know whether to whip or embrace Fastred upon his arrival, and heartily wished Faramir were there, to soften her temper, and restrain her tongue.  Yet she felt within herself a burgeoning joy at the thought she would soon hold within her arms her son, whom she had thought dead during that long horrible day; she longed greatly to look upon his face, and to touch him herself, to reassure herself he was well and truly alive.  "And how happy Hísimë and Théodred shall be!" she thought, her heart lightening; "and how good it shall be to have him to table once more!"  Faramir was often gone, and Éowyn could take his empty chair during dinner with equanimity; however the absence of one of her children pained her, and the sight of Fastred's empty seat had quite taken her appetite.

"And why do you announce him as the Prince of Eryn Lasgalen, Beregond, and not by his proper title?" she asked.  "Have you then forgotten he is Lord of Dol Galenehtar and our close neighbor and fellow vassal of the King?"

"Well my Lady, he has proclaimed himself thus," said Beregond, shrugging.  "He came unto the gates and said to the gatekeepers: 'Tell the Lady of Emyn Arnen that Legolas Prince of Eryn Lasgalen seeks audience with her.'  I do not know, my Lady, for what purpose he advertises himself in this fashion, but as he is certainly of royal blood it is his proper appellation; also he has been a loyal friend and close companion to Osgiliath, and has brought us wealth and protection and respite in festival; it is only fair we go along with his whims."

"Very true, my friend," said Éowyn; "well bring him in then, and have the herald announce him as Legolas Prince of Eryn Lasgalen, since that may make him happy.  We all know he is the Green Knight; it is not as though he is a stranger here."

"As you wish, my Lady!" said Beregond, bowing again, and went back to the doors.  Sure enough in but several minutes the brown-clad herald banged his spear upon the floor and declared in a voice that boomed and echoed through the Hall:

"Prince Legolas of Eryn Lasgalen seeks audience with her Ladyship, Éowyn of Emyn Arnen, Princess of the House of Éomund."

"Éowyn of Emyn Arnen welcomes the grace and wisdom of the Prince of Eryn Lasgalen," replied Éowyn in a ringing tone, and the remaining courtiers and advisors stood respectfully by. The great oak doors swung open, and the Elf came through, unattended, though clad in richly beaded garments and with a fine fur cloak cast about his shoulders.  He strode the length of the Hall, his fair face composed and placid, and in one long white hand he held several heavy parchment envelopes.  Éowyn rose to her feet, grateful to have an excuse to shift her position, and Legolas with a polite inclination of his head ascended the dais and bowed over her proffered hand to kiss it.

"My Lady," he said courteously, rising.

"My friend," said Éowyn warmly, smiling; he answered her smile and handed her the envelopes.  "And do you play messenger-boy this morn?" she asked gently teasing, taking them from him.  "Where is Sólormoïle? Is he become so weary of his running to and fro betwixt our demesnes you must needs deliver your letters unto me yourself?  I did not realize, Legolas, that this was one of the duties of the Prince of Eryn Lasgalen."

"Did you not?" he said dryly.  "It has been long since last you conversed with my father then!"

Éowyn glanced about the Hall, to be sure none of the courtiers could hear.  "Where is my son?  Where have you left him?" she asked in a low voice, careful to not let her anxiousness show.  Legolas had no such compunction; he grimaced, and said as he unfastened his cloak:

"As Prince Legolas plays at being messenger-boy, so does Little Lord Fastred play pin-cushion," he said, and when she gave him a sharp look added, "Never fear!  As I said to you in my last missive, O Lady of Emyn Arnen, he comes to no harm within my borders.  He is training eyasses with Andunië, my Lady, and finding their talons a tad sharper than he had first estimated."

"Why did you not bring him with you?" asked Éowyn growing distressed.  "Is it not enough, O Prince of Mirkwood, that I suffered a mother's greatest fears at his disappearance?  Do you withhold him from me so to protract my misery the more?"

"Never!" exclaimed Legolas looking dismayed.  "Think you so little of me, my Lady, and of our long friendship?  Do I not come to you in body and not simply send notice of my doings?  Have I not spent three nights away from mine own chambers attempting to rectify his errors?  And have I not cared for your son as though he were of my own people?  I came to you as soon as I could; I have ridden the night and gained your gates after sunrise in order to speak with you, not wishing to merely send another letter, but to speak with you face to face, so that all might be explained and justified."

"My apologies then," said Éowyn though she was keenly disappointed; "and now I perceive the time to speak in public is past; we shall quit this Hall then and go unto a private chamber, where you shall explain and justify to your heart's content."  She gestured to her herald, who came forward; she said to him:  "Announce to the assembly I go to meet on matters exclusive with the Green Knight and shall reconvene court on the morrow."  The man nodded and turned to the Hall, and while he was speaking Éowyn took Legolas' proffered arm and they exited.

They went along a long low allure, dark with shadows and lit solely by random oilettes, for they were in a more ancient part of the castle; several torches in iron sconces burned, and the floor was worn and curved.  Éowyn led Legolas through several crumbling arches until they had gained the solar, its pocked walls covered over with new white marble, and opening to an inner courtyard; it was light and airy, and warmer than the Hall.  Éowyn gestured to the servingman and he brought forth hot spiced wine for them both; she lowered herself into a comfortable couch, taking a goblet; Legolas however remained standing, hands behind his back, looking out onto the courtyard, his face sober.  When the servingman had departed, and the Lady of Emyn Arnen alone with her visitor save for the sergeant-at-arms who hovered always in the pediment, Éowyn turned to Legolas, who with a sigh closed his eyes, and leant upon the window arch.

"Why did you not bring my son with you?" she asked reprovingly.  "Surely you know, my friend, how I long for his presence, to reassure myself he is well! Why would you leave him behind, yet come through the night to see me?  Do you disdain then a mother's love for her firstborn?"

"Why do you ask questions like that of me?" asked Legolas; he sounded tired.  "Do you disdain then my love for you, and for your husband and children?  Do you suppose I leave him in Andunië's care for my own benefit?  Do you not think I should rather have delivered him here for you to deal with as you wished, and not keep him underfoot to wreak havoc on my household?  And do you not think I have good reason to withhold him from you?  Or shall you commence with the firing of arrows ere the white flag can be raised?"

Éowyn stared at him in surprise; she had not seen him so dejected in many years.  "My pardon, O Champion!" she said in astonishment, rising and lifting the other goblet, steaming and fragrant; she held it out to him.  " 'Twas my mother's heart spoke to you so; that is why I rejoined in bitterness, for out of the fullness of my heart do I address you, and I apologize for my harsh words.  In future shall I attempt to speak to you solely as a Shieldmaiden, trusting your judgment as I ought, and believing good and not ill of you ere you disclose to me your motives.  O Legolas, come sit with me, and drink some wine, to mend my hasty words!"

Legolas turned and smiled at her, and taking the goblet from her said:  "Give to me no contrition, and keep such lowly talk from your lips!  Otherwise I shall believe myself to be in some other castle than the Keep of Osgiliath, and to converse with some puling and weak-minded lady, not the Shieldmaiden whom I promised to champion.  Shall I not continue to uphold your cause?  Drink then with me, O Éowyn of the House of Éomund; as a sister you have ever been to me, the sister for whom I mourned my want of a true companion as a child.  Many times did I harrie my good parents, begging them to give unto me a small sister, yet of all good gifts they gave unto me I lacked that one.  And now that I have found you, why do we quarrel?"  He lifted his goblet unto hers and said, "To the drumming of hoof-beats upon a wide plain!"

Éowyn's face broke into a smile.  "And to the thunder of battle that precedes no rain!" she cried finishing the salute; they drank together, and when Éowyn sat again upon her couch Legolas sat across from her, stretched out his long legs in their mud-spattered boots, and sighed, closing his eyes.  Éowyn watched him, wary of the ache for her son now, but strengthened by his assertion of his affection for her, and wondering how she would have fared, had she been brotherless, living as an only child in the halls of Edoras.  Far down in the courtyard below they could hear the strains of music as one of the serving-maids sang during her duties, and there were echoing through the screens the sounds of people going to and fro in their work, talking and laughing.  After a few moments Legolas opened his eyes and drained his goblet; leaning forward Éowyn grasped the pitcher to refill it.  "I have waited these past five minutes for you to put your boots up on the table here," she said smiling.  "The Lord of Dol Galenehtar perchance may be too well-bred to so befoul a Princess' stand, but I had thought better of an Elven prince."

Legolas looked down at his boots.  "They are quite muddy," he said.

"And you are quite weary," Éowyn answered; "did you not say to me, O Champion, you have foresworn sleep these past three nights?  Of the Firstborn you might be and immune to mortal fatigue, but even an Elf must needs take a little rest."

"Very well; as you have no ladies' maid present I shall offend no one's sensibilities – save your sergeant-in-arms there."

"Telumel is impervious to dirt," Éowyn said.  "Sit and drink, but do you please have pity upon me and tell me your errand!  I can be patient only so long; a Shieldmaiden I might be but I am also a woman."

"I shall sit but not drink overmuch," said Legolas, propping his feet upon the table.  "Else I shall sleep and speak not."

"That would astonish me more than anything else you could do," said Éowyn; "I have never known you to be without words."

Legolas laughed, and put the goblet down.  "Very well!" he said.  "I shall begin with the question foremost in your mind – why I have not brought your Fastred back to you.  Believe me when I say unto you, O Sister-In-Arms, that I do this not out of perversity, but in an attempt to champion your cause once again.  You must know your resolution to give Fastred as heir unto your brother sat ill upon your son's heart; 'twas for that reason he fled his home to the sanctuary of my borders."

"I thought perhaps it was so," sighed Éowyn.  "O Legolas, what shall I do?  For truly I do not want to lose him; it is said mothers should not play favorites but Fastred is the core of my heart.  Rather would I have sent unto Éomer his brother Théodred, but he is so young, and Éomer has need of an heir of an age to take some measure of command.  I am resolved in this, yet greatly pained, for I do not wish to lose him, though he go to succor mine own people."

"I do not wish him to go either," said Legolas.  "Many happy hours have I spent with him in your demesne and mine; he is more like unto a small playmate to me than the son of a neighboring lord.  And 'twas for that reason he came to me, for in his mind I am naught but the rich and merry and indulgent lord who lets him come and go as he pleases, and presses him to no labor; you and your noble husband, however, are now seen as the enemies of his happiness, and Éomer and Rohan the darkness that covers his future.  But fear not!  I have a strategy in place to reverse his viewpoint, so that he will long for you, and regard Rohan as a haven."

"You plot to change a young boy's mind?" asked Éowyn in amazement.  "Are you not aware, O my Champion, that Fastred is mine own son, and is possessed in no niggling measure of my obduracy?"

"Say not 'obduracy' but 'tenacity,' " said Legolas mildly, lifting his goblet to his lips.  "It is not so discourteous that way.  Yes, O Lady of Emyn Arnen, I am well aware of his … tenacity; it is that very attribute I hope to use to turn him to our will."

"Speak then and be not silent!" said Éowyn.  "Now I am more curious than provoked, which was no doubt your aim in presenting your scheme to me in this roundabout fashion."

"It is thus," said Legolas.  "Do you know, O Shieldmaiden, for what purpose he came unto me and my people?"

"To claim sanctuary," said Éowyn.  "He must have thought you would accept him unquestioning, and allow him to live on there as he wanted, free and unfettered by the constraints of court and obligation, having naught to do but hunt and fish and play and eat, for that is why he loves you so."

"And know you," asked Legolas, "how came he to my people?"

"Nay," said Éowyn.  "Only that Meivel fetched him in a swoon, in the dark while it was raining, and Himbaláth found his horse so choked with brambles he could scarce move."

"He came upon one of our olintalari in the southern part of our sacred groves," said Legolas.  "I had set enchantments about it so that any one who journeyed uninvited in our lands, and came upon our feasting-rings, should fall into a deep slumber, and I be alerted forthwith, so that I could send out soldiers to deal with any intruders."  Legolas shook his head.  "I confess to you, O Éowyn, that my mind was full of thoughts of Fastred's disappearance, and I imagined any trespasser to be part of the puzzle; there are severe consequences in Eryn Lasgalen when one of my Lord Father's olintalari are breached – as Gimli's father Glóin knows full well! – and perpetrators of such infamy are customarily sent to the dungeons.  By my laws, which echo my Lord Father's, I could very well have sent Fastred to the dungeons – "

"Do you have dungeons?" asked Éowyn in amazement.  "I have never heard of any dungeons being built beneath Dol Galenehtar."

"Well, not dungeons as such; more holding-cells, if we have a visitor of low rank who makes himself a nuisance in some way, such as stealing, or prowling about.  It is a foolish ruler who assumes everyone behaves well at all times.  Anyway I could have sent Fastred there, but the thought galled me; yet I knew his perfidy to be true, for I had heard already of Éomer's need and your solution, and it angered me that he should so set your authority to naught, and turn his back upon his royal uncle; also it vexed me greatly he should have the effrontery to assume I was soft as well as kind.  Kaimelas wanted to whip him, but though that thought appealed to me I felt I could not administer such chastisement lacking his parents' permission – "

"Which you would have got; that thought was foremost in my mind as well," said Éowyn grimly.  Legolas laughed again.

"Being but Elves, and unused to the motives and minds of small mortal boys, we instead requested the aid of an expert."

"Who?" asked Éowyn.

"Pearl Took," said Legolas, his gray eyes twinkling, and Éowyn laughed.

"And what did Mistress Took prescribe?" she asked.

"That Kaimelas should flog him with words to stir his conscience, and I come in sorrow and silence to prick it; it worked quite well, for he wept, and said he was sorry, and begged my forgiveness.  And also did Mistress Pearl say to us that Fastred should be given a choice, whether to be sent in disgrace to his home, or to stay in Dol Galenehtar, and predicted he should choose to stay; also did her words hit target, for that is what he did.  And she further said unto me, O Lady of Emyn Arnen, he should work out his punishment and thus pay for his lodgings, and I should find for him some work so disagreeable he will be dismayed by it; also that I turn from him my desire for companionship and good camaraderie, treating him as a vassal, so that he will become angry, and disillusioned with Dol Galenehtar and with me; I shall also impress upon him the importance of his duties, and work him hard with no rest, so he be weary of my home and my presence and think longingly instead of Osgiliath and his family, and know that to reign in Rohan is better than to toil in Dol Galenehtar.  And so that is what I shall do, my Lady; he is with Andunië now, who as you know is brusque and exacting and unsympathetic; he works sunrise to sunset with little rest, and thus is trained and toughened and made more a man than a child.  And it is for that reason, O Éowyn, I keep him from his mother; for he is angry and chagrined, and though he writes letters of apology to you and to your husband – " Legolas gestured to the envelopes he had delivered, which Éowyn had dropped upon a footstool unseen
"  – still he harbors within his small heart the resentment he shall be forced to leave his home and go to your brother's kingdom; this anger will not fade if he be kept here, among his friends and family and in his comfortable room; the anger will turn upon me instead in his exile, thus preserving his regard for you, and giving unto him the desire to escape from me."

Éowyn considered this for a time, her eyes upon the window to the courtyard; she looked troubled.  "But though he turn his hard heart from me he shall hate you," she said; "how can you bear it, to have Fastred hate you thus?"

Legolas sighed.  "Well my lady, I am your champion after all; it is my right and duty to uphold your honor and judgment.  And also I am not merely the Lord of Dol Galenehtar, or even the Green Knight; I am first and foremost the Prince of Greenwood the Great, and it is a grave thing to seek sanctuary of me, for I espouse obligation over fancy and value trustworthiness more than many bright gems.  Fastred's view of me has been only Lord Lassah of Dol Galenehtar; he shall know me now as Prince Legolas, who is far more stiff-necked than he – after all I have been at it longer, and am better at it having had so much practice."

Éowyn shook her head, but leant forward to take Legolas by the hand.  "Then I endorse Mistress Pearl's judgment and bow to her decision," she said, her eyes bright with tears.  "Though it pains me to so do I shall relinquish the chastising of my son's soul unto you, O Prince of Greenwood.  Only tell me, I beg of you, when shall I see him?  For my heart yearns toward him and he is greatly missed not only by his mother but by the entire household."

"Mistress Pearl said to give him two months, three at most," said Legolas.  "Then perchance shall his heart be softened toward you, and he might stay with you for a night during our journey unto Rohan.  O yes!  I am taking him to Rohan, my Lady; do you not look so surprised!  Better the hand administering his fate to be mine own than his mother's, for he shall hate me the more, and cling to soft and tender memories of you in his sorrow."

"Two months!" sighed Éowyn shaking her head.  "But that is nothing; I am constrained to lose him for good by sending him unto my people."

"Say not 'for good' but 'for Éomer,' " said Legolas tenderly.  He rose, brought her to her feet, and kissed her upon the forehead.  "He is fortunate indeed to have you for a sister; you are generous and kind and faithful and devoted!  He reigns well who has such bastion behind him; stand well upon your promise, O Princess of the House of Éomund!"

"Let me be your sister then, and you might be unto me a bastion and fortress as well," said Éowyn.  "I am losing my son – he is already gone; it is as though I have sent him out into the wilderness, away from my help and succor!  O what have I done, my Champion?  I am losing him; he is already gone.  But I cannot go back on my word – Rohan needs him.  O I am so weak; help me to be strong!"  And she wept.

Legolas took her into his arms to comfort her.  "I am here," he promised; "I will always be here."  And he let her weep upon him for a while, that her mother's heart would find some respite not only in her tears but in his strength.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List