Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Heir of Meduseld  by Le Rouret

Legolas' private offices were in daytime bright and airy, with tall paned windows topped with stained glass, which broke into brilliant rainbow colors about the floor when the sun streamed through; the marble walls were white and hung with pale tapestries, and the floor satiny sanded oak, so smooth it was a pleasure to walk upon barefoot.  The rooms were filled with bookcases and tables stacked with rolled parchment, and hung upon the walls were maps and naval charts, calendars and star charts; however wherever one looked there was paper – reams and reams of it, printed with plain ink, or covered in spidery or loopy script, or scrawled with charcoal, or decorated with colorful calligraphy.  The paper was stacked in neat piles upon his large black desk, and Hirilcúllas his secretary kept them from blowing off or shifting round by the simple expedient of placing large polished rocks upon each pile, preventing them being lost or muddled.  During the late fall and winter months the desk was nearly empty of these papers, showing its glossy polished surface to the high-beamed painted ceiling, and affording its owner little concern; the few documents that accumulated there were quickly dispensed with, and the Lord of Dol Galenehtar could enter his office with a feeling of quiet satisfaction.  In the spring and summer however did the paper flowers bloom thereupon, vexing Legolas with their presence and insistence, like dandelions persisting upon a clean green lawn.  Hirilcúllas and Tuilíndo did their best to shield their master from the effluence engendered by reason of his wealth and nobility, but there were many items that could only be managed by the Green Knight's personal touch and seal; far from engendering pride in his position it served only to make the Elf to sigh mournfully, and whilst he attended to these myriad matters Hirilcúllas betimes caught him gazing out of his mullioned windows at the mountains beyond with a wistful expression upon his face.

In the dim hours after midnight his office took on a gloomy, shadow-strewn aspect, as though it had thrown on a dark cloak and stood half-obscured by shade.  Tall beeswax candles were lit, and the fire set the shadows to dancing; the high ceiling swam with silhouettes and the tapestries whispered and shifted upon the walls like tall ghosts; the star charts glimmered and the papers hissed and rustled against each other as the breeze wandered through the rooms, round columns and behind curtains, stirring parchment and cloth, and setting the Lord of Dol Galenehtar's flaxen hair to winding about his head like gold floss.  He sat not behind the overburdened desk but in a soft armchair by the inglenook, and round about him were seated his hastily-assembled council:  Cirien, haggard in the gloaming; Araval, nodding and snoring despite his good intentions; Bandobras, bleary-eyed but still alert; Galás and Meivel, those polar opposites, flanking the mantle, looking oddly alike with arms crossed and faces grave; and Hirilcúllas and Andunië, still shimmering in their finery though Andunië had let down her hair; Hirilcúllas sat primly beside her fellow maid, dark eyes attentive, but Andunië despite the muted splendor of her green gown looked as though she would have rather been clad in her leather tunic and riding-skirt; she leant her tanned face upon one hand, which was propped by the elbow upon the arm of the couch, and played absently with her sash. Her green eyes were fixed upon her lord, though her face as always betrayed not any sentiment; she appeared more bored than otherwise.

Legolas looked round about him, satisfied with the wisdom he had collected in that room; he cast a tolerant eye upon Araval slumped slumbering in his armchair, and spoke into the silence which heretofore had been broken only by the snaps and hisses of the fire.

"Well, friends all, what think you?  A pretty problem, is it not? And coming as it does upon the heels of this trade proposal with Éomer's cousin; does it seem to you, as it does to me, that this has been rather more carefully orchestrated than we had previously supposed?"

"You need not ask my opinion of that, my lord!" said Meivel grimly.  His arms were folded across his chest, and his jaw was set; his pale eyes flashed.  "Not since this Théalof first set foot in Minas Tirith have I been at ease with him; he smiles and flatters and turns his head to look at you, and I am reminded of a snake on the hunt for an unsuspecting dove.  He is to my mind a man over-ambitious and possessing no restraint – see you how he works to garner approval and alliances within Elessar's court! – edicts go missing, gossip spreads, and ever does Théalof, whose first allegiance ought to be to his king, smirk and apologize and slander the house of Éomund, though in dissembling guise and with soft convincing words.  I do think me he craves the Golden Hall for himself, and thus seeks connections with those of influence in Gondor; hence for what reason would he insinuate himself into the minor houses of Langstrand, or promise land to our own lord?  And as for these letters you have received, O Legolas my friend, first from Bréawine, then Théalof, and now King Éomer, I am the more convinced Rohan is become a breeding-ground for deceit and treachery."

"Surely you do not include the king in this estimate of venality!" exclaimed Hirilcúllas.  "Why, Meivel, if any one man has aught to lose in this commotion it is he."

"Please, Hirilcúllas, do you not put such words in my brother's mouth," said Andunië, toying listlessly with a ribbon on her sleeve.  "The three letters were written by three separate men, all purporting to have three separate designs for the future of Rohan and the throne in Edoras."  When Meivel gave to his sister a nod of approval she added, "Yet, O my brother, must I express my disagreement with you upon one point; these past years you have as you said been wary of Théalof of Rohan, and I doubt that not, for of all gathered here yours is the more suspicious mind – "

"I give no argument to that opinion," said Galás dryly, and he and Bandobras exchanged winks; Andunië continued as though he had not spoken.

" – Yet I feel Théalof seeks discord not for the throne, but for fiscal gain."

"A cogent point," said Cirien from the hearth.  He rubbed his bony hands together near the flame, for the night was chilly, the hour was late, and he was feeling his age.  "I have shared with you, gentles all, the trade proposals, the concessions, the grand promises made beneath the seal of the King of Rohan, yet I am uneasy; my fellow knights in the south are eager to concede to these pacts for the terms are generous, but I am not sanguine for the promises come not from the hand of the king but from his emissary, and I as Meivel here do not trust him.  Indeed I have never trusted him, from the moment I met him in Erui; smooth I thought him, smooth and slippery like oil slicked upon water, and his words though purporting to be gentle and wise are laced with bitterness and deceit.  I will have naught to do with him, though my brother knights chivvy me along.  'Leery' they call me, and laugh; we shall see who laughs last."

Legolas sighed, and the fire reflected itself in his eyes as he gazed into the flames.  "Power and wealth," he said, his voice tinged with both anger and sadness.  "O how foolish are the children of Men, who so desperately chase after such fleeting things!  Upon their pathways are haste and misery and despondency, for their years are brief, and thus they trample underfoot the poor, the weak, the worthy toward whom their energies ought rather be directed.  And a great pity it is Elessar opened the way for treaties to be signed betwixt his vassals and foreign powers – 'twas a generous sentiment, but misguided perhaps."  He was silent a moment, then said, "So is it power, or wealth?  Meivel says power; Andunië says wealth; Cirien hints at both."  Bandobras shifted on his stool, and Legolas turned to him with a smile.  "Speak, Little One, and be not silent!" he said.  "I can see you have your own opinion on this matter."

"Well, Master," said Bandobras slowly, picking up the thick yellow sheets of paper with the great green seal of Meduseld broken upon it.  "I read this here letter from King Éomer and I don't see a man thinking his emissary's getting the best of him, nor that he might get into trouble due to this Théalof's sneaking ways.  But neither do I see him blowing kisses at him, no indeed.  Seems to me, Master, my lord and everyone else, that he don't trust Théalof much neither, but got him out of Rohan because he couldn't do naught with him anyway, him being the king's cousin and all.  And maybe he's thinking Théalof'll cause less trouble away from home than in it.  Look here – "  He unfolded the parchment, scanned down the second page with his finger, and said:  "Here it is.  'Inasmuch as Théalof is my chosen agent I have given to him certain liberties, which he has executed to the utmost of his abilities,'  but then a few sentences later he says: 'My representation in Minas Tirith is ineffectual and touches on the inconsequential, affording me little protection.'  Mighty big words he uses," sighed the Hobbit, "but you see what he says – he put Théalof in Minas Tirith for a reason, and gave him a good bit of leeway, but all those 'liberties' as he said Théalof used up pretty quick, and in all the wrong places, and looking to make himself rich, and not helping his king out nohow."

"It seems to me as though Éomer wishes for allies in the south, and sent his emissary down to so do; yet now he suspects himself denuded of them by reason of his emissary's duplicity," said Cirien.  "My brother knights in Langstrand sign the treaties, but to date I have not, for I see that though the proposals are beneath Éomer's seal, the documents have but Théalof's signature and sign."

"That bodes ill for King Éomer," said Hirilcúllas.  "He might believe himself to have support in Langstrand then, but Théalof has naught to do but to call upon these knights and when Éomer needs them Théalof may hold them in abeyance."

"To what end does Théalof pursue them?" asked Galás curiously.  "What I mean, my friends, is, does he desire trade with them, to so increase his wealth, or will he instead use these treaties to withhold help?  If he wants solely to enlarge his fortune that is bad enough; but if he seeks to keep their allegiance for himself that may argue some deeper and more sinister plan."

"You mean treason?" asked Hirilcúllas, her eyes flashing.

"Do not look so surprised, Little One," said Legolas to her with a grim smile. "This is not the first time in Rohan's brief history that the kingship has been disputed.  In our talk of Théalof we do not mention Bréawine.  Do we consider them to be working separately?  You, Andunië, seem to think so."

Andunië shrugged.  "They would be odd allies," she said disinterestedly.  "It is possible though, I suppose."

"Possible!" exclaimed Cirien.  "I do beg your pardon, Andunië, but I should not have thought so.  Firstly, O huntsmistress, do you take into account their heritages; Théalof is Éomer's cousin – a distant one to be sure but perchance he considers himself a more appropriate heir to the throne.  Bréawine instead is of the line of Helm Hammerhand, and the lord over a strong-willed and obstinate people who through history have not often been loyal to the throne in Meduseld.  Did they both seek power, they should be in contention; Bréawine has said publicly no son of Dol Amroth shall rule over Rohan, and opposed Éomer's marriage to Lothíriel.  Yet Théalof is better served to remind the people the line of Éomund is a legitimate one, for that brings him the closer to the throne.  Also consider their separate pleas to the Green Knight! In this also to me they appear to be working at cross-purposes."

"How do you see that, O Lord of Langstrand?" asked Galás.

"Think you again upon Bréawine's letter to your lord, my friend Legolas," said Cirien.  "He asked for support from you and Aldamir of Amon Din to drain the marshes about the Onodló to increase the amount of arable land."

"It seems a reasonable request," shrugged Galás.  "The marshes have expanded these past ten years, washing over field and pasture and permeating the good black soil there, giving pleasure to naught but ducks.  Both my lord and the Lord of Amon Din have good engineers and much experience in the draining of marshland, and they are both on excellent terms with King Éomer.  Why should he not ask for their collaboration?"

"To begin with those marshes do not belong to him," said Cirien.  "They were ceded not ten years ago to Errakh-hem of the Dunlendings.  King Éomer wishes to keep the Wildmen out of Rohan, yet does not want to slaughter them, for he is not only a warrior but a just and compassionate man.  So he has given the fenland to Errakh-hem and his tribe to fish upon and to live within.  But Bréawine's holdings are to the marsh's north-west corner and perchance he wishes to expand his demesne.  And it is this very land Théalof also holds out as a tempting morsel to the Green Knight; Éomer's it might be to give unto Legolas rather than to Errahk-hem, but Bréawine's, no!  So for both men to offer unto your lord this land seems to me to be imprudent; it belongs to neither.  Therefore I say they work against one another, for if Bréawine knew Théalof offered the marshland to Legolas he would rather beg Legolas' help, and did Théalof know Bréawine's plans likewise he would wish for clemency – or rather play at working to protect Éomer's assets, which is more like unto the Théalof we know – crafty and underhand."

"Hirilcúllas," said Legolas, "where is the letter in which that information was given me concerning the ceding of the marshes to the Dunlendings?"

"A moment, my Lord," she said, rising and going to the back of the room with a candle. She searched through some shelves for a moment, then came back holding two envelops.  "Here you are, my Lord," she said; "it is a letter written not long after our arrival, from Lord Aldamir; he mentioned it in detail, for it concerned some of his own demesne."  She handed Legolas the first envelope and he read through the letter within; he frowned and nodded and said:

"Yes, it is as I remembered; Aldamir and Éomer both were concerned with the restlessness of the Dunlendings; not so much out of compassion for their lot, being pressed in this vise betwixt Amon Din and Rohan, but out of concern for their own folk, for whom the Dunlendings were fast becoming a threat to their property and well-being."

"And remember also, my Lord," said Hirilcúllas, handing him the second letter, "you and King Elessar discussed this; Elessar out of concern for his brother king, and for his vassal Aldamir, considered eliminating the Dunlendings utterly, but you dissuaded him, reminding him of his own homeless wanderings in the wild; here is the copy he did send to you, my Lord, of his reply to Éomer, that Gondor would protect folk threatened by the Wildmen, but not persecute the Dunlendings."

"As I recall that was a point of some contention betwixt the two kingdoms," said Galás, taking the papers with a frown.

"Yes," said Legolas shaking his head regretfully.  "It pained me to see them so divided, but in truth I could not encourage Aragorn in the indiscriminate slaughter of those people; I know their presence is a continual thorn in Éomer's side – and do we not see evidence of the Dunlendings' violence and hatred whenever we look upon the sickly countenance of the daughter of the Lord and Lady of Osgiliath! – yet it has always galled me that they had no home nor land nor lord.  That they have chosen this Errakh-hem to lead them promises further discord, for he may be strong enough to convince them to oppose even Éomer's men."

"Hence Bréawine's arguments seem the more convincing," smiled Meivel.  "If he is able to absorb the fens into his own demesne and dispossess the Dunlendings, how happy will be the people of the Onodló and Amon Din!"

"And how unhappy the Wildmen," said Cirien.  "Will that not stir them to further discord?"

"It would me," piped up Bandobras.  "Get given a gift of land, and then get turned out of it?  A false giver, that's what we Hobbits would call the king if he did such a naughty thing.  Unfair, that's what it would be.  Not so bad now that it's rising summer, but it gets mighty cold in Rohan in the wintertime, and that's the truth.  Think about it, folks, these Dunlendings aren't just the men running round burning and killing and stealing; they've got to have wives and children same as everyone else, or how would they keep breeding?  What can they feed their little ones when they ain't got barns and cows and such?"

"Well spoken, O Halfling!" said Cirien.  "We do not wish to see the folk of Onodló and Amon Din harassed by such as these; nor would we wish to watch their little ones starve or freeze to death upon the plains.  What said you to Bréawine, Legolas?"

Legolas smiled.  "Bréawine knows I opposed displacing them and he wishes to change my mind," he said; "he attempts to undermine my allegiance to Éomer with promises of fiscal remuneration, and to placate me with offers of land.  Not wishing to show him how firm my loyalties lie with my friend Éomer I have given him naught but vague replies."  At Hirilcúllas' muffled exclamation of annoyance he added with a laugh:  "I have composed my answers couched in platitudes and inanities such that he will think me a complete idiot, and an uninformed and naïve one at that.  Hirilcúllas seems to think it reflects upon her own duties that her master is seen to be so foolish, but in this way it is easier to put him off than to make him aware I am his enemy."  He smiled at his secretary, but she only tossed her dark glossy head and frowned at him.

"Better he think you an idiot than an enemy; he will not see you coming this way," said Cirien; "that was wise I deem."

"To be wise by playing the fool?  Perhaps," said Legolas.  "Well, and now we have decided Théalof seeks wealth, and Bréawine land; what is it Éomer asks of me?  For of these three men he is the sole claimant for whom I have the inclination to help."

"Can't ask you directly, can he, Master?" asked Bandobras, looking down at the letter.  "Never seen a note from him as is so fuzzy.  Makes me think maybe he knows his letters might be read."

"As well they may," said Cirien, "since they go through his envoy first."

"Think you then Théalof reads his king's correspondence?" asked Hirilcúllas looking shocked.  "It is hardly within the boundaries of his position to so do, and shameful beside."

"I do not suppose that would stop him," said Meivel.  "King Éomer is wise I think to couch his fears in such a circumlocutory fashion."

"The letters are sealed though upon their arrival here," protested Hirilcúllas.

"O but that's not so hard," objected Bandobras; "all you need's a hot knife and nimble fingers, Hirilcúllas, and you can lift a seal and leave not a trace.  Why I can do it quick as a flash, and you'd never know I done it."

Hirilcúllas looked scandalized, but Galás laughed merrily.  "Capital!" he exclaimed.  "O that I were a Hobbit and could think of such perfidy!  Do you show me how to do that, Bandobras, I beg you!"

Bandobras blushed deeply and looked up at his Master, but Legolas was smiling.  "Peace!" he said to Hirilcúllas, who was very affronted; "it is a wise lord who knows the best and most loyal spies."  He turned to Andunië.  "And how went your day, Little One?  Did the heir of the throne of Rohan perform his several duties to your standard?"

"Hardly," said Andunië, her green eyes cold.

"I am not surprised; you are such a martinet," grinned Galás; when Meivel frowned at him he added, "Ah, I did not mean to insult you, O Sober-and-Conscientious!  There are none to rival you in that area, not even your sister here."

Meivel took in his impudent air with the disapproving look he always reserved for the seneschal.  "Though you meant it as an insult I shall consider myself flattered," he said.

"Enough!" said Legolas, running his hands through his hair; "Andunië, do you know why I have sent Fastred unto you?"

"Yes, my lord," said Andunië evenly.  "You either hate me, or are cruelly punishing me for some unknown offense."

There was some muffled sniggering at that, and Hirilcúllas laughed aloud.  "Nay!" said Legolas, his eyes twinkling.  "Wished I to discipline you I should have taken your riding-clothes away, and made you to wear your pretty green dress and slippers every day, and to put up your hair in ribbons, and do naught but teach him to dance."  Andunië's mouth twitched at that, but not even Cirien could tell whether she had stifled a smile, or a frown.  "Listen well, Little One!" said Legolas, reaching across to the couch and taking her by one slim wrist.  "I consign Fastred's little heart unto you; it is hard still, and aching with affront.  But by your insistence upon hard work, your ideals for a job well-executed, and your lack of sympathy for any who complain about their lot in life, he shall at first be frustrated, but your firm resolve and unswerving perseverance shall overcome him, and he be taught to accept his destiny and go unto his uncle – not uncomplaining, perhaps, but at least willingly."

"You ask much of him," said Andunië, looking hard at him, "and of me, my lord."

"I would ask naught of either of you if I did not think you capable," said Legolas firmly.

They held each others' gazes a moment, Legolas adamant, Andunië reluctant; at last she said:  "Very well, my lord."

"Excellent," smiled Legolas releasing her hand; "I knew you to be the fitting one for the job at once, despite Araval's objections – "  That knight, hearing his name spoken even in the midst of his slumber, muttered and shifted; Legolas smiled down at him, then looked to the others.  "Tyarmayél is disappointed, Andunië my friend, that you have been so privileged to take upon yourself the schooling of the heir of Rohan, but I am confident in you and know Fastred will be the better for it."  Andunië said nothing, but only bowed her head in acquiescence; Legolas turned to the rest of his companions and said:  "Well!  Have we determined anything, or have we as I suspect merely run about in circles, deciding nothing of import, and having no plan for the future?"

"Circles, my lord," said Galás promptly.

"O I don't know," said Bandobras; "We decided Éomer knows something's up, and the Dunlendings are about to get their noses put out of joint, and Bréawine and Théalof aren't what we'd call bosom companions.  I think that's doing well, Master."

"It leaves more questions unanswered than answered however," said Meivel.  "Still, my lord, we have not determined what you should do – we trust not either Théalof nor Bréawine; Éomer warns you though surreptitiously of trouble in his land; Fastred is known to be Éomer's chosen heir and it will not be long ere both Éomer's enemies descry his presence here.  You did plan, my lord, to go to Rohan with Lord Faramir and Lady Éowyn as they delivered their son up unto the King of Rohan to be his heir; yet here is Fastred living in Dol Galenehtar.  What will you do?  Send Fastred to his noble parents to let them bring him to Rohan themselves?  For if you are in the vanguard with Rohan's heir they shall know full well your compliance and loyalty, and you shall lose what edge you have over Éomer's enemies."

"That is true," said Cirien thoughtfully.  "It seems to me, my friend, you would serve Éomer better by withholding any outward displays of allegiance; in this manner you might further determine the depths of Théalof's machinations and Bréawine's plots.  So long as they are determined to bribe you with promises of land and monetary reward they will speak with you, albeit deceitfully; however as you are able you might sift through their empty promises and flattering words and see more of the truth which you could then use to strengthen Éomer's hands against them."

"And well he needs it!" said Legolas fervently, taking the letter from Bandobras and looking down at it with a frown.  "Poor Éomer," he added softly, shaking his head; his pale hair swung round his throat and glinted in the dim light.  "To have taken up the throne with such hope, and pride, and confidence; then to be openly criticized for taking to wife the daughter of Imrahil … then the blight and famine which nearly beggared him … heir after heir stillborn; dissention from Bréawine, violence from the Dunlendings, and now to suspect treason at the hands of his own ambassador to Minas Tirith!  A pity it is Elessar and Undómiel are at Fornost; he has the authority and the armies to wrest peace even in a separate kingdom, and we his vassals do our small best in his place."

"Then you must needs forego thinking yourself his vassal," said Cirien firmly, "and remember instead you are the son of the King of Eryn Lasgalen, and in yourself a free agent with the authority of the Firstborn behind you."

Legolas cocked his head at him, his gray eyes sparkling.  "So I am," he said, laughing, "and I thank you for your timely reminder!  My friends, what think you?  Should I comport myself as the Lord of Dol Galenehtar, or as Prince Legolas of Eryn Lasgalen?"

"Your Highness!" said Meivel, putting his hand upon his breast. "But speak the word and we shall comply. We might well live amongst the mortals of this land but we never forget that the length of our days and the hope of our future are tied up in the heavens and stretched upon the surging sea; the time for play-acting at mortality is at an end.  Take you up your crown and scepter, O Prince, and we shall follow you with all faith, for you are far more than Elessar's vassal, or even the Lord of Dol Galenehtar.  You are Legolas Thranduilion and come of the line of Doriath and your enemies will do well to be reminded of this."

Legolas rose to his feet, and Galás, Meivel, and Bandobras rose as well and bowed to him, and Hirilcúllas and Andunië rose themselves and curtseyed.  Legolas smiled, but the eye he bestowed upon his subjects was grave nonetheless.  "Very well then," he said, looking about the room.  "The Green Knight goes to his friend King Éomer of Rohan and brings with him the stanchion of the Firstborn.  I give permission to no man to speak of my doings concerning this for now I act in secret, in order to determine how best to uphold the line of Éomund."  He turned to the inglenook; the Yellow Knight sat there, his lined face grave, and Araval still slumbered in his chair.  Legolas asked, "Are you in agreement with this, O Cirien of Langstrand, my friend?  Will you, as you have always done, hold your tongue when men ask of my doings?  And will you lend unto me your support and wisdom, so that I as Prince of Eryn Lasgalen might go with better will unto my friends in Rohan?"

"You know that I shall," said Cirien; "you may do more as Prince Legolas than as the Lord of Dol Galenehtar anyway; you must needs act as two entities ensconced in but one vessel."

"My thanks, dear friend!" said Legolas, returning to his seat.  "And now as it is nearing dawn it is time for our mortal friends to get them to their beds."  He looked at Araval, who was breathing deeply, slumped in his armchair.  "Galás," he said, "find Araval's servant and get him to roll his lord to his chambers; we have no further need of his wisdom this eve."

"As you will, my prince," smiled Galás, and went out.

"And I'm off to Mother's rooms," piped up Bandobras cheerfully, pattering over to his Master and throwing his arms about the Elf's neck.  "It's still nippy these nights and I want to make sure she's got enough quilts and coverlets so she don't take another chill.  Will you come in and say good-night to her, Master?  Mother sleeps so restless nowadays, but she seems to drop off faster if you go in and see her for a bit first."

"I will certainly do so," said Legolas kindly, kissing his small esquire upon the crown of his curly head.  "Do you go unto her now and see to her comfort, and I shall come in scace ten minutes or so; I have some trifling thing to see to here ere I enjoy your mother's company."

"All right," said Bandobras, and giving everyone else a wave with his hand trotted from the room.  Meivel offered his arm to his sister but Legolas said:  "Nay, my good Meivel! Take unto yourself instead Hirilcúllas here and accompany her to her rooms; I must speak with your sister a moment."  Meivel nodded gravely to them and he and Hirilcúllas left as well.  But though Andunië waited patiently her lord said nothing to her, engaging instead in desultory conversation with Cirien ere Araval's servant came to aid his master to bed; when the three men had departed Legolas gestured Andunië to the chair beside his desk, and as she lowered herself into the chair he sat at the desk across from her.  He folded his long hands on the polished black surface, studied them silently a moment, then looked up at his huntsmistress; his hair in the dim firelight gleamed golden, but Andunië's tumbling locks were burnished copper, and her eyes though downcast flickered green in the gloaming.

"Be you sure Fastred learns to track with and without the hounds," he said, "and teach him the importance of keeping the kennels and roosts clean and the animals in good health.  Work him from sunup to sundown, with only short rests to eat.  He is soft, and he will need toughening ere he takes up his duties in Edoras."

Andunië raised her head; her face betrayed no expression, and her eyes were distant.  "And his marksmanship and swordplay?" she said; her voice was almost disinterested.

"In three weeks' time, when he is quite resigned to his fate, shall I send him unto Himbaláth for those things, but only when he has completed his work to your standards," said Legolas.  "And when he is brought up to our measure shall I commence his education in reading the stars; I ought to have begun this instruction last summer but he was distracted by the fishing-boats.  When do you think you will have the three new eyasses ready?"

"With the boy's help, perchance two months' time," said Andunië.  She reflected a moment, her eyes distant, then said, her cool voice husky and warming:  "They are good birds, these eyasses you have purchased for me; the goshawk in particular, my lord, is very fine.  I foresee no difficulties in training them to their duties."

Legolas heard her emphasis on the word "them" and smiled.  "Boys are not eyasses," he said gently; "but then, Little One, save in the Misty Mountains eyasses rarely become kings."

Andunië regarded her lord with sober eyes.  "We are far from home," she said simply.  But Legolas shook his head, rose, and held out one hand to raise her to her feet.

"This is home now," he said, and saw her out.  But despite his conviction when she had gone he sat for some time at his desk, his eyes turned to the stars which twinkled and burned in his windows; then with a sigh he rose to go see Mistress Pearl.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List