Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Burden of Guilt  by Linda Hoyland

These Characters are the property of the Estate of J. R. R Tolkien and New Line Cinema. This story has been written for pleasure and no profit has or will be made from it.

What have I to give you back, whose worth
May counterpoise this rich and precious gift?

William Shakespeare (1564–1616)

The feast was magnificent one. Not since the marriage of the King and Queen, had such a banquet been held. Aragorn recalled that feast as he surveyed the assembled guests, thinking sadly that never again would Gandalf sit at his table. Nor would Elrond or Galadriel ever return. He stole a glance at his wife and felt reassured by her smile. The joys of motherhood were obviously helping her cope with the loss of her kinsfolk.

Tonight’s banquet was still a splendid occasion, attended by the King and Queen of the Reunited Kingdoms, the Prince and Princess of Ithilien, the Prince of Dol Amroth, the King of Rohan, and all the Nobility of Gondor, together with the ambassadors to neighbouring kingdoms.

For the first time in Gondor’s long history, there were common folk present too. Damrod, Lamrung, Ioreth, Tarostar and Aedred had been invited to attend

The King and Queen looked especially magnificent tonight, Aragorn was clad in a richly embroidered tunic of plum velvet and black breaches. The Star of Elendil adorned his brow while the Elessar gleamed on his breast. Arwen had chosen to wear a gown of deep blue embroidered with silver. She wore a mithril coronet, set with diamonds and sapphires on her head: a necklace of mithril and diamonds adorned her slender throat.

Faramir and Éowyn looked only slightly less magnificent in their most regal attire. Faramir had chosen to wear a black velvet tunic embroidered with silver together with dark grey breeches. Éowyn was attired in a green gown embroidered with white and gold, which set off her golden hair to perfection.

The meal began with a beef and vegetable soup flavoured with wine and spices followed by chicken stuffed with pork and currants. The main course then followed, which comprised roast lamb, simmered with almonds and spices followed by a dessert of dates stuffed with almonds and baked in honey, especially created by the Royal cooks for this evening. There were many other dishes too and wine and mead flowed freely.

To Aragorn and Éowyn’s relief, Faramir ate with obvious relish. This was the first State Banquet he had been able to truly enjoy. On previous occasions, he had been too nervous to truly enjoy the delicacies the cooks had prepared.

When everyone had eaten their fill, Aragorn, who was seated at the head of the table, rose to propose a toast. “Let us drink to my royal brother Éomer of Rohan and my Steward Faramir, Prince of Ithilien and to the continued friendship between Gondor and Rohan. May both our lands enjoy and peace and prosperity!” he said.

The company drank. Faramir, instead of taking his seat again, proposed a toast of his own. “Let us drink to the good health and long life of King Elessar, Queen Arwen and their son and heir, Crown Prince Eldarion and also the good health of my brother, King Éomer of Rohan!” he said, smiling at the assembled company.

The company took their places again and nibbled at grapes with slices of melon and mint leaves, a refreshing way to end the meal.

Much to their surprise, Éomer suddenly rose to his feet and beamed at the assembled company. He had not brought any ceremonial garb to Minas Tirith and had borrowed a green tunic embroidered with silver from Aragorn. Worn over simple dark breeches, he looked magnificent in it, his golden mane of hair flowing over his shoulders.

He beamed at the assembled company and announced: “Instead of fine words, my brother, I would seek to mend the hurts between us with a gift to my niece, Elestelle, Princess of Ithilien. You will have heard of the Mearas, noblest and most rare of horses, the steeds of the Kings of Rohan, brought to our lands from the west by Lord Bema himself. A beautiful foal was born to Snowdrop, daughter of Shadowfax, a few days before I set out on my journey here to Gondor. She is the one of the fairest foals I have ever seen, even amongst our herds! I give her now to my niece, the latest daughter of our Royal house and will command her that she bear Elestelle on her back as long as her life does last.”

Faramir and Éowyn both gasped; this was the greatest gift Éomer could have bestowed .The Mearas were the most prized processions of the House of Eorl and the only time one had been given as a gift before, was when Théoden had presented Shadowfax to Gandalf.

That had come to pass only after the Wizard and the horse had developed a strong bond with each other. Gandalf had greatly angered Théoden by borrowing Shadowfax instead of a lesser horse. A Mearh was far more than an ordinary horse. It understood human speech, and would only let one of the bloodline of Eorl ride it.  Mearas enjoy an exceptional life span for a horse and could live to be about eighty years old.

“Thank you giving our daughter the greatest of gifts!” Éowyn beamed at her brother.

“I thank you too from the bottom of my heart. I wish only that I had something of equal value to offer,” Faramir replied, overcome with joy at Éomer’s generous act, which more than any words, proved that he no longer harboured any resentment towards him.

"I propose a toast to my brother in arms and friend, King Elessar and his Queen, and to my brother Faramir and sister Éowyn!” Éomer cried. He reached across and took the hands of Aragorn and Faramir, clasping them in a gesture of friendship. Éowyn blinked away a tear. The Mearas were very rare and highly valued. It would have cost her brother dear to part with something so precious.

The Queen, knowing that Eldarion would be hungry rose then to take her leave. Éowyn followed her, pausing to embrace her brother as she left.

The men folk lingered, drinking and talking. Imrahil, now back in Minas Tirith after settling a prolonged land dispute, was delighted to see his nephew looking so much better.

A few minutes after the ladies retired, Aragorn left the table followed by Faramir and Éomer

Once the doors had closed behind them, the Lords of Gondor began to chatter amongst themselves.

“Strange that the Horse Lord should give our Steward a fine gift, when King Elessar, who sent him to prison, has not even offered an apology!” Dervorin of Ringlo Vale murmured to his neighbour.

“What can you expect from a Ranger from the North who goes off hunting whenever the whim takes him and leaves affairs of State to his Queen?” snorted Fosco of Lamedon who sat beside him. ”He has even invited a bunch of common peasants to sit at his table!"

Fosco would have continued, but noticed Imrahil was looking at them and fell silent.

Outside the Merethond, the two Kings and the Steward embraced, bidding each other goodnight before going their separate ways.

Éowyn was already asleep when Faramir reached the apartments, which were currently their home. They were planning the next week to move into their new home at Emyn Arnen where Éowyn and Elestelle would spend much of their time in future.

Faramir meant to join his family whenever his duties as Steward permitted him to. He would stay with Aragorn and Arwen when he was needed in Minas Tirith.

Éowyn was eager to dwell in the countryside, away from the stone city she so disliked She yearned to be able to ride out whenever she pleased and for the independence she had always craved. As for Faramir, he would finally have a home to call his own with his family, while at the same time spending a great deal of time in Minas Tirith with Aragorn, from whom he was loth to be parted for too long. The Steward had come to see in the King the father he never had and had always yearned for.

Faramir quickly changed into his nightshirt and slid into to bed next to his wife. It felt good to be beside her again after so long apart. He soon fell into a dreamless sleep.

When Aragorn came to bed he was surprised to find Arwen was still awake and sitting up feeding Eldarion.

“How he is growing!” Aragorn exclaimed, as he did almost every day, amazed at the progress his son was making.

“If he takes after his father he will grow a good deal more over the next twenty years!” Arwen replied. ”I thought the official banquet went well. It was good to see Faramir smile again.”

“It truly gladdens my heart to see him recovering.” Aragorn replied, climbing into bed. “I think my friend is finally restored to me. I hope he likes the gift I have for him tomorrow.”

“Did I not tell you all would be well?” said Arwen smugly.

“As always you were right, vanimelda!” Aragorn replied, happy to humour her. “Could any man be more blessed to have you, my son and my best friend at my side with my Kingdom secure and at peace with her allies?”

Kissing Arwen and Eldarion tenderly, he turned on his side and was soon snoring.

Arwen sat gazing at him tenderly. Not only was this man her beloved husband; but also a loving father, loyal friend and great King. He was well worth giving up the life of the Eldar for. These past months had been a sore trial for them all. Yet, they had shown her more of her husband’s true worth: it took a great man to admit to his mistakes and not rest until they were put right.

As result, her friendship with Éowyn was now stronger than ever as was Estel’s bond with Faramir. Their love for each other and their son had deepened too.

Aragorn stirred and murmured, “Did I tell you how much I love you, my Evenstar?”

“I love you more each day, my husband and King.” she replied, kissing the top of his head. Already he was snoring again. Arwen smiled indulgently.

The Queen rose and replaced Eldarion in his cradle before lying down to sleep, ignoring the increasingly loud snores beside her. No Elf would snore thus, but then could any Elf be as noble, as loving and as loyal? She would not change this wonderful and unique Man for all the world. Gondor was blessed to have him, as were his family and friends.

The star of Eärendil shone brightly overhead, illuminating the frosty winter night and bathing Gondor in its gentle light. Tonight, all were at peace beneath its beauty.

To be concluded

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List