Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Burden of Guilt  by Linda Hoyland

Losing Hope

These Characters are the property of the Estate of J. R. R Tolkien and New Line Cinema. This story has been written for pleasure and no profit has or will be made from it.

”But you haven’t told me what it is!” Éowyn protested.

“Thought bonding is when two minds are linked telepathically and all thoughts and feelings shared. Usually it is only wholly possible when those of the right bloodlines reach maturity and are in full accord with each other, though sometimes even young babies can sense emotions if they have the ability. You usually place your foreheads together to do it, though to those with a sufficiently strong bond, just about any touch to the head suffices.”

“But how could that help Faramir?” Éowyn was feeing thoroughly confused by now.

“Many of those with Númenórean bloodlines such as Faramir and myself have enhanced mental abilities. For example, we both have visions and premonitions,” Aragorn explained. ”Such gifts are both a blessing and a burden, as we also tend to feel especially deeply. Sharing another’s mind promotes mental stability as it clears away misconceptions and is also a great source of reassurance. Faramir would know how much he was loved and that I bore no anger towards him if he could read my thoughts.”

”It sounds like some sort of magic like the way you and Faramir often seem to know what each other are thinking!” Éowyn exclaimed.

“It is simply a natural gift of our people, for as you have noticed, it has happened to some degree between Faramir and myself many times already, though I do not think it is something he has ever done consciously,” Aragorn replied. “The first time was when he took me to task for removing the old White Tree and I showed him the sapling. He had a vision and I could see it too. That was a wonderful moment for me! I knew then we were destined to become close friends. Only those with a special affinity glimpse each other’s minds!”

Arwen smiled at her husband and son, remembering how Aragorn had told her on their wedding night of Faramir’s vision of their line blossoming like the White Tree.

“Maybe if Faramir and his father had been sufficiently close to bond their minds, Denethor would not have lost his wits?” Aragorn said thoughtfully.” But would it trouble you, Éowyn, if I linked minds with Faramir? I might see every thought, feeling and memory of your husband’s, though naturally I would not seek to pry into any personal aspects of your marriage.”

“There is nothing about our marriage that would shock you! If sharing thoughts will help Faramir, you can do it this moment!” Éowyn replied in her usual forthright manner. “If anything will give me back my husband, please try it, even if it involves being painted green and running naked through the city streets!”

Aragorn shuddered at the thought.

Arwen laughed, commenting, “There is nothing about our marriage that would shock him either!” making her husband blush scarlet.

“I believe sharing thoughts would cure Faramir,” Aragorn said. “I would learn exactly what is troubling him so much and he would know how sorry I am, which no words can express. The problem is, getting him in a suitable state of mind to agree to it! He might feel that his mind is the only thing he has managed to spare from being examined by me. I already know that he is gifted with great mental abilities. For example, he knew who I was, when I healed him of the Black Breath, though he had never met me before. Then there are those prophetic dreams and visions he is prone to.”

“I think he might be intrigued by the idea,” Éowyn said thoughtfully. “We will just have to do our best to see that he tries it.”

“Over the next few days, I will give him herbs to relax him before suggesting it, if you agree?” Aragorn said. “Meanwhile, I will continue to treat him with salves and potions to try to strengthen his heart.”

“Do whatever you think is best,” Éowyn said wearily. “This should have been such a happy time for us all!”

“You will feel better once you hold your baby in your arms,” Arwen soothed, gazing fondly at Eldarion.

“I ought to get dressed and go and see how my husband is,” Éowyn announced. Sighing, she rose from the bed and gathered up her clothing from where the maid had placed it on a chair.

“Are you in pain?” Aragorn asked her anxiously.

“No, it is just difficult for me to move around now I am so huge! Then the baby kicks so much it is hard to rest,” she replied. ”Arwen can tell you what it feels like! And I still have several weeks to wait before it is born. I think it will be a big strong boy.” She guided Arwen’s hand against her belly where the Queen could feel the movements through the thin silk of her robe.

“You have a lively baby there!” Arwen smiled, “It kicks as much as Eldarion did. That is a good sign that it is healthy.”

“It gladdens me that at least you and your child are well.” Aragorn smiled, though his eyes remained sad. “I will visit Faramir again tomorrow. However, you must call me at once if you are worried about him.”

“And you must visit me too.” Arwen added. “I will massage your back again if you wish.”

“Thank you, you are both so good to me!” Kissing them both warmly, Éowyn managed a watery smile. She retired to the dressing room to change before returning to see how Faramir was faring.

As soon as she had gone, Aragorn collapsed on the bed and buried his head in his hands; unable to maintain his façade of iron control any longer. His body shook convulsively as he fought to hold back the tears.

Arwen was immediately at his side, wrapping her arms around him and holding him close. She tried to contain her rising alarm. She could not remember ever having seen her husband so distressed before. He had been very upset when he had bid her farewell on the eve of his departure with the Ring bearer, but not in such despair. The Queen was starting to fear greatly for his future well-being. If Faramir were to die, she wondered if Aragorn would ever recover from the loss of his companionship and the part he had unwittingly played in his Steward’s decline.

She sat there beside him for some time, letting him weep, all the while cradling his head against her breast and tenderly stroking his tear stained cheeks. “My love, what is it?” she asked when the worst of his tears were spent, “Faramir will be well again soon, I am sure of it!”

“Will he? I see him dying before my eyes!” Aragorn raised a tear stained face to look at her. “How can he be, when I have almost killed him? If you had seen his injuries, his back almost flayed to ribbons and more bruises than I could count on his body! It was my command that brought him to such a state, one whom I love as if he were mine own son! I thought I could give him all that was lacking in his life before. I rejoiced to see him well and happy. Yet, one careless word from me took all that away. And much as I try to reassure Éowyn that Thought Bonding could cure him, how I can I get him to agree to it with one who wronged him so much? He claims he does not blame me, but how could he not? The wounds Éomer dealt him were but slight compared to what happened to him in prison! I should have somehow stopped the fight between him and Éomer and protected them both!"

“And what good would it have done if you had been injured or killed during their fight? Éomer and Faramir both had need of your skills that day.” Arwen told him, lovingly running her fingers through his mop of unruly hair before starting to massage the tense muscles in her husband’s neck.

“I remember the first time I met Faramir.” Aragorn said softly, “He was burning with fever and very close to death. On the journey from Rivendell, Boromir spoke of him with such love in his eyes and told me how much he hated being parted from him. One night, while we were in Lothlórien his heart was filled with foreboding and he asked me to care for his brother should he fall. I gave him my oath.”

“And you have kept your vow and cared for Faramir as a loving father would,” Arwen soothed.

“Have I? When Faramir awoke from the fever caused by the Black Breath, he looked at me with such love and respect. I hoped even then we could be friends, but he was so afraid that I would prove as harsh as his father.”

“I remember; that is why I suggested you go away from the Court with Faramir and Éowyn.”

“And there he saved my life and cared for me as a son would. He lost his fear and became the man he could be once he threw off his father’s shadow. Yet he has fared far worse with me that with Denethor! I swore to him that none should ever harm him again. I have broken my oath!”

“Do not be so foolish! You never meant for him to be beaten nor ordered it,” Arwen chided. “Did you ever try to burn him alive? I think not! What happened was just a mistake, cruel though it was. Time and care will restore Faramir to us, you will see! You both feel especially deeply because of the Elven ancestry you both have. Anyone who cares as deeply as you do breaks their heart if they feel they have let a loved one down.”

Arwen understood how her husband felt to some extent; as one of the Eldar and also because as the youngest in the family, she had always been protected, when she wanted to protect. Estel had been in a similar position, though to a much greater extent being younger by centuries and a frail mortal amongst Elves.

Aragorn was a natural protector and in Faramir had found both someone in need of his care and a man so like unto himself they could have indeed father and son as they had so much in common.

Arwen’s affection for Faramir stemmed mainly from the fact he was so like her beloved husband who had smoothed his path to the throne, thereby enabling them to marry.

“How can I manage without him if is not restored to health?” Aragorn sounded in a state of near panic. “I am a simple Ranger. Faramir has been running this country not I! All will come to ruin without him despite the best efforts of Imrahil and myself! It is all my fault!”

“Yet it was I who suggested you go away with Faramir and Éowyn, Éowyn who wrote to Éomer because she was angry, Faramir’s secretary who sent the letter, it was Éomer who demanded that Faramir fight with him, and two miscreants who beat Faramir in prison. How can it all be your fault?” Arwen demanded.

Eldarion suddenly awoke and began to cry fretfully, no doubt sensing his parents’ distress. Arwen went over to his cradle and picked him up, assuring herself he was neither hungry nor needed changing.

“Then there is Éomer,” Aragorn lamented. “I cannot heal him and being crippled is a living death to one of his race! What sort of protector am I to you and Eldarion? I bring misfortune to all I know; you will be separated from your family for all eternity because of me!”

“That was my choice to make,” Arwen replied and I do not regret it.” She carried Eldarion back to the bed and sat beside her husband again.

“I have destroyed almost everyone I love!” Aragorn lamented.

Eldarion’s fretful crying increased in volume to a loud anguished wail.

“Shame on you, Estel!” Arwen snapped in exasperation. “You have upset your son while blaming yourself for what is not your fault! Were it not for you, Faramir and Éomer would both be dead. They will be well I know it! I thought what I liked about humans and especially you, was your unquenchable hope despite your short life spans and frail bodies, but maybe I was wrong?”

“I am sorry, Arwen,” Aragorn replied humbly, kissing her tenderly on the lips. ”I know I am truly blessed to have you and no man could desire a more loving or wiser wife!”

TBC

A/N Events are mentioned in this chapter which occurred in “First Meeting”,” The White Tree” and “Shadow and Thought”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List