Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Shadow and Thought  by Linda Hoyland

These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

Chapter Ten– Why I could take his sword here.

Why I could take his sword here, and with one quick dart right through his heart! Stab him as he mocks me; what sweet revenge for all his laughter! - The Desert Song 1926 Broadway operetta with music by Sigmund Romberg and book and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and Otto Harbach

Von seinem Lager
blickt' er her, -
nicht auf das Schwert,
nicht auf die Hand, -
er sah mir in die Augen.
Seines Elendes
jammerte mich; -
das Schwert - ich liess es fallen!

From his couch,
he looked up -
not at the sword,
not at my hand -
he gazed into my eyes.
His misery
tormented me!
The sword - I let it fall!  - Tristan und Isolde – Wagner. 1;3

In the middle of the night, Éowyn awoke suddenly from an uneasy sleep in the chair beside the King’s bed.

Earlier, Faramir and Aragorn had kept waking each other up by crying out and thrashing around in their nightmares. Éowyn persuaded her husband to take a few hours rest in the next room. She hoped he would be less troubled by evil dreams away from the King.

Bright moonlight illuminated the room through the open shutters. In a corner, stood Andúril, the King’s renowned sword, propped up against the wall. He had placed it there on the day they arrived at the Lodge. Éowyn felt curious about the legendary blade, never having seen it unsheathed. Her dislike of Aragorn had prevented her from asking him to show her the blade. Unable to resist temptation, she tiptoed across the room, picked up the sword, and drew it from its sheath. It was surprisingly light, and weighed far less than the swords of the Mark. She noticed the blade was finely decorated with a design of a crescent moon and stars. There was also an inscription engraved in a script she could not understand. Éowyn stood holding the sword for a few moments; it was both beautiful and deadly.

Just then, Aragorn moaned in his sleep. Éowyn had almost forgotten that he was in the room. She walked over to the bed, almost as if in a dream, the sword still in her hand. She studied the King’s sleeping face, features she had once loved, but now despised and hated. She perceived now a mouth filled with lying words; eyes full of false compassion. Her life lay in ruins because of this man. Were it not for him, she would be either the honoured hostess at her brother’s court, or married to some man who truly loved her, and would give her his children. Now there was nothing left to live for. Éowyn’s life would forever be barren, bleak and loveless. A few days ago, she had dared to hope again that Faramir needed her, and even might cherish warm feelings towards his bride. Yesterday, though, he had made it abundantly clear that he had no need of her company. He was sufficiently recovered not even to need her to tend his wounds.

Éowyn knew were she to leave her husband and return to Éomer’s court, she would be nothing but an object of scorn and pity. Her brother would make her welcome, but he now had a bride of his own and had no need of a sister to preside at his table. If only she had seen through the web of deceit when Faramir had proposed to her and found a worthy husband instead!

She had not loved the Steward when she had agreed to wed him, for every other man had paled in comparison to Aragorn. She had accepted his hand in marriage as a way of restoring her damaged pride. She had been flattered that at least one highborn man of valour found her desirable. Éowyn had simply intended to be a good and loyal wife and provide Faramir with an heir. Yet, as the months had passed, she had come to love the gentle Steward of Gondor even more than she had once loved Aragorn. She had believed Faramir loved her too. His protestations of devotion had been nothing but lies, told to please his King, who had ordered Faramir to make her his bride!

Éowyn studied the blade in her hand, wondering how many lives had ended on its sharp point. How easy it would be to take her own with a single thrust of this sword. Better still, though, to first take the life of the man who had brought her to such misery!

Clutching the hilt with both hands, Éowyn raised the blade and held it poised over the King’s heart ready to strike.

 She hesitated. It seemed harder than she had thought to do this deed. Why could she not strike? Maybe she should simply take her own life? That would mean, though, she would die unavenged. She was the daughter of the House of Eorl, not some wronged serving wench! Again, Éowyn steeled herself to deal the fatal blow.

Aragorn’s eyes slowly opened. He neither moved nor spoke, but simply looked at her. Not at her shaking hand, not at the sword, but deep into her eyes. His gaze held none of the anger or contempt she expected, but rather a mixture of sorrow, compassion and bewilderment. His sorrow wounded her. For the first time, Éowyn glimpsed the very soul of this man who had been the first to capture her heart. She took an involuntary step backwards, dropping the sword in her confusion. The expression in his grey eyes pierced her very soul. The blade fell to the stone floor, the clatter deafening after the tense silence of but a moment before.

Aragorn’s hand suddenly reached out, gripping her wrist with surprising strength for an injured man. His gaze was now full of cold fury. Éowyn was filled with terror. This was no ordinary man, but the heir of Elendil who had beaten Sauron in a battle of wills, and commanded the Army of the Dead. Too late, Éowyn regretted what she had planned to do. She knew her life was now forfeit. Éowyn hardly dared to breathe, all too aware that she had been caught in the act of trying to murder the High King of Gondor and Arnor. What would her brother think of her now? Worse still, would her husband be punished for her wicked and foolish actions?

“The inscription reads, “I am Andúril who was Narsil the sword of Elendil. Let the Thralls of Mordor flee me,” Aragorn informed her in a voice devoid of emotion. “Tell me, my lady, why you were thinking of stabbing me with my own sword?” The King’s calm words were like ice, which was far more terrifying than if he had ranted and raved.

“I accept my life is now forfeit under the law of Gondor,” Éowyn said bleakly.

“I do not desire your life, my lady, but rather, an explanation,” Aragorn replied in a tone she had never heard him use before. “I demand to know why you considered killing me, you whom I believed had too much honour to attack a wounded and weaponless man in cold blood. Why, lady, do you so hate me? Your King demands an answer!”

Éowyn shivered. Aragorn seemed able to see into her very thoughts. The grip on her wrist tightened making flight impossible.

“Do you really need to ask?” she replied.

“I am asking and you will tell me!” If words had the power to do so, Éowyn would have been turned to stone or crumbled to ashes by the cold anger in Aragorn’s voice.

“Why should I not hate you?” she replied bitterly. “You called me back from death against my will, after you had ruined my life by rejecting my love. Then you tricked me into a loveless union, by ordering Faramir to marry me in order to remove any possible embarrassment from Lady Arwen! You boasted of your cruel deed on my very wedding day! Today, I overheard you jesting about it again with Faramir. I cannot endure to live trapped in a loveless marriage! I thought to die, taking you with me, but only truly desired the blade for mine own heart!”

Aragorn gaped at her open mouthed, loosening the grip on her wrist in his astonishment. “What?” he exclaimed, sounding both hurt and surprised. “I swear to you, my lady, that never did I command Faramir to marry you. He wed you because of his great love for you. I do not know why you should think so ill of me! Arwen has always known that you once had romantic feelings for me. She believed they were but a shadow and a thought, which fled once you met Faramir. The scheming knave you believe me to be would well deserve your fury, but I am no such man!”

“How could you Éowyn? The King speaks the truth!” Faramir, on hearing the commotion, had entered the room unnoticed. “I married you because I loved you, no man influenced me, I swear it on the memory of my brother!” Faramir’s reproachful tone was almost harder to bear than the King’s cold fury. The Steward hastened to Aragorn’s bedside and grasped Éowyn’s arm, as if fearful she would attack the King again. ”Has she harmed you, sire?” he asked in dismay “I am so sorry, I had no idea she would even think of such a deed. I accept my punishment at your hands.”

“She has not touched me. Peace, Faramir!” Aragorn said.

Éowyn glanced nervously at her husband, and then turned back accusingly to Aragorn. “But you told me yourself on my wedding day, my lord, that you asked Faramir to look after me!”

Aragorn nodded. “I did indeed, my lady. I also told him to look after the Hobbit Meriadoc, and all the people of Gondor! I also bade Merry take care of you. I hope you are not now going to accuse me of planning a bigamous marriage for you, to both a man and a Hobbit, or maybe the entire male population of Gondor? “

Éowyn cringed at the biting sarcasm. She suddenly felt very foolish.

“Remember those were dark days,” Aragorn continued. “I never thought that either your brother or I should return alive from Mordor. I simply did not wish you to be alone and friendless in a foreign land. All I desired of Faramir, was to see that you were escorted safely back to Rohan. My words at your wedding feast meant simply that I was glad I had encouraged Faramir to seek out your company. He could give you his heart when I could not!”

As the full impact of their words sunk in, Éowyn covered her face with her hands.  “But you shunned my bed!” she told Faramir accusingly, ignoring Aragorn’s presence. “Why would you do that unless you regretted the marriage? I even suspected you had a mistress!”

“I have always loved you. I desired you greatly almost from the moment I met you. I was waiting for you to show some sign you desired me likewise! I would never take you unwilling, trembling with fear and revulsion! I feared that you would reject me should I beg of you to truly become my wife! I suspected you still loved the King. As for a lover, my only mistress is Gondor!” Faramir replied reproachfully, also seeming to forget Aragorn was there.

The King cleared his throat loudly. Brought back to the present situation. Faramir flushed scarlet. He turned again to his wife. “Why did you not tell me how you felt, Éowyn, instead of attacking the King? Do you not know the penalty for such a crime is death? We could have been so happy together!”

Éowyn burst into tears at his words. Faramir impulsively put his arms around her. “I am sorry, so very sorry, Faramir. I love you so much!” she sobbed, clutching him tightly. ”Now it is too late after my wicked and foolish act of treason!” Collecting herself, she broke free of her husband’s embrace and knelt before the King. “My lord, I wronged you. I can only say that I am sorry, though, I do not expect or deserve your forgiveness for my folly. I ask for no mercy, except to beg of you not to punish Faramir. He would never betray you like I have done this night!”

“I do owe you my life, my lady, for tending my wounds, so far be it from me to desire to take yours!” Aragorn replied sternly. “ Therefore, I pardon you. However, I warn you never again to raise a blade against me in anger, or it will go very ill indeed for you!”

Amazed, Éowyn kissed his hand in fealty and gratitude. “What penance would you have me make, my King?”

Aragorn softened and smiled at her. “I charge you never to let such a misunderstanding arise again between you and your husband or between you and me! If you are angry, speak of what troubles you ere sunset of that day.”

“I give you my word, my lord,” Éowyn said tearfully. “If only we could start again!”

“Dry your tears and rise, my lady,” Aragorn said gently. “Maybe when I am less weary, I can think of some way to express all our hopes for a happier future.”

Faramir moved forward to kneel before the King beside his wife. “I can never thank you enough for your mercy, my lord!” he said fervently. “Surely, I would die of sorrow, were Éowyn not beside me!”

“My friend,” Aragorn said with a wan smile, “I could not repay your kindness towards me with anything but the same.”

Faramir grasped the King’s hand in gratitude. To his alarm, it felt moist and trembled slightly. Aragorn’s features looked grey and drawn. The shock of the night’s events was obviously taking its toll.

“Do you have any of Merry’s tea left?” Faramir asked Éowyn, “If you do, maybe you could make us some. I think we are all in need of something with restorative properties. But first, bring some water, so I might bathe the King’s hands and face.”

“Merry sent me a whole chest of tea. I brought an adequate supply with me,” Éowyn replied, feeling glad of an excuse to escape. “I will fetch the water at once.”

“Could you pick up my sword please, Faramir, and sheath it?” Aragorn asked as soon as she had left the room.

“I would, sire, but I thought only the King were allowed to touch it on pain of death?”

“I permit you to sheathe it tonight. I am, alas too weak to get out of bed, so I must make an exception, whatever the custom dictates,” Aragorn said wearily. ” We cannot leave a naked blade lying on the floor, or there will be more mischief this night!”

Faramir knelt and reverently picked up Andúril. “I can hardly believe I am holding the sword of Elendil!” he whispered, studying the inscription. The writing was framed by stylised symbols of the Sun and the Moon interspersed by seven stars representing Elendil. He knew the Sun and Moon symbols represented the King’s ancestor Elendil’s sons Anárion and Isildur respectively. With great reverence, he sheathed the sword and went to replace it in the corner.

“Put it where I can reach it, please!” begged Aragorn. ” I would feel reassured to have it nearby.”

Faramir had just propped Andúril beside the bed when Éowyn returned with the water and placed it on the bedside table. Too ashamed of her actions to speak, she hastened back to the kitchen.

TBC

A/N I quoted "The Desert Song" from memory, if I have it wrong and anyone knows the correct words, do please let me know.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List