Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

Halimath 1430

It was unnaturally quiet in the smial with Sam, Rose and the children all away. They had gone to Michel Delving, Sam for some Mayoral duties which would keep him away for a week, and Rose had taken the children to visit her cousin Magnolia, a farmer's wife. Frodo found it strange to be on his own after so many years when they had never left him for a second, but he was enjoying a week of being in sole charge of Bag End. It was quite like old times, pottering about, making second breakfast, strolling as far as the Green Dragon for supper, or calling in at the Cotton's farm, as he had been instructed to do by motherly Mrs Cotton. He went to the stables each morning, mucked out the stalls, released the ponies into the paddock, filled hay nets and water troughs and rode Limlight and Strider. He also collected the eggs from the chickens which Rose had decided to keep.

       Rose deserved a holiday. She cooked and cleaned and cared for everyone, and he had been pushing her to go and have a break. He was thrilled when he finally convinced her that he was capable of looking after himself for a few days. He also knew that she had quickened again, and that a new baby would be added to the family come Thrimidge: Goldilocks Gamgee, who would be almost as fair as Ellie, sunny natured as Sam's mother, capable as Rose. The quiet batchelor haven was now a joyous family home and he was at the heart of it, surrounded with love and laughter.

       Having washed up his plate and cutlery after lunch, Frodo wandered through to his bedroom and looked in the wardrobe. He found what he was looking for on the top shelf, right at the back. He carefully lifted down the crimson velvet box and sat on the bed, turning it this way and that in his hands. With his birthday approaching, he had decided to sort out mathoms for his female relatives from the extensive collection of jewellery which had belonged to his mother. Those beautiful pieces had been hidden for too long and it was time they were seen once more, decorating lovely lasses as their makers intended. Some items he would hold onto until Sam's daughters and Pip's nieces were old enough to appreciate them, but it was time to let go. He had clung to them for long enough.

       He lifted the lid and gazed at the jewels which winked and sparkled in the afternoon sun. The first thing to catch his eye was a delicate silver and enamelled brooch of primula flowers, given to Prim by her parents when she was twelve. It had been one of his mother's favourites and would be ideal for young Primula, Pearl's eldest daughter. He closed his eyes and in his mind he saw his mother, smiling down at him as he sat on her lap before bed. As a baby he had liked to touch the brooch, and she always laughed and told him that these were her nameflower. He remembered her smell - violets and pastry and new-baked bread and something else which was uniquely Primula Baggins. Tears threatened for a moment and he blinked them away. It was an old grief now, like an old scar - and he had plenty of those, he thought wryly.

       A sapphire on a silver chain was next and he lifted it out, watching it swing gently. This for Pimpernel's daughter Sapphire. Rory had given it to his sister when he came of age, because it matched her eyes. She had called her brother a silly old tease but she wore it often, particularly when they went to Brandy Hall. She had been wearing it the night she died. He remembered it glinting in the morning sunlight as her body lay on the bank of the Brandywine.

       For Sapphire's younger sister, Emerald, there was a brooch - a cat in gold with emerald eyes. The lass adored cats and was always 'rescuing' any she spotted on her travels. Waifs and strays were drawn to her and she wanted to be a healer for animals as soon as she was old enough. With it would go a copy of one of Lord Elrond's books on animal healing, which Frodo had already copied and bound.

       He withdrew a fine pair of cufflinks which had belonged to his father. They were amber set in silver, and had been a present from Bilbo, who had a similar set. He held them up to the light, remembering Bilbo showing him an insect inside the amber. According to the Elves, amber was the hardened resin from certain trees, and insects often became trapped in it. He had always felt sorry for the hapless fly or ant, but it produced a moment frozen in time, which stirred his imagination. These he would keep and wear. Another set, with garnets, he would give to Sam. Two very similar pairs of engraved gold cufflinks he set aside for Merry and Pip.

       In Minas Anor last year he had given Rose a necklace which had belonged to his mother - silver flowers, each with an amethyst at its centre. He had almost forgotten that there was a matching bracelet, and here it was. Rose's gift was decided. The set had been given to Primula by her father Gorbadoc on her betrothal, and was said to have been made to an Elven design by the Dwarves of Erebor.

       A ring with three small pearls set in gold would be the perfect gift for Pip's eldest sister. For Pimpernel there was a pair of decorative silver hair clasps, inset with polished coral carved into small pimpernel flowers. Frodo grinned to himself. How apt! Now if he could just find something for Pervinca, the family tomboy......... Perverse Pervinca, she had been called. He chuckled. Pippin's youngest sister disliked anything fussy or frilly. Perhaps there was something plain which would please her......... His gaze settled on a simple silver bracelet which his mother had received as a wedding gift. It had only a delicate pattern of leaves engraved into its surface, and would look elegant with some of Vinca's formal gowns. As a teen and tween she had spent most of her time in trousers, working on the farm at Whitwell, learning archery and climbing trees. Persuading Vinca into a dress was a struggle.

       For Esme, who had loved his mother dearly, Frodo thought a silver necklace with a single pendant emerald would be just the thing, matching her green eyes. Primula had often said that Esme should have had it in the first place, feeling that emeralds would have looked much better on the young Took lass than they did on her, although Frodo thought his mother had looked beautiful whatever she wore.

       He knew what he wanted to give to Eglantine - a brooch in gold and rich enamels, an exquisite eglantine rose. It had been one of Drogo's earliest presents when he began courting his Brandybuck lass, and Primula treasured it. He knew that Tina would love it - she had loved his mother too, and had been staying at Brandy Hall when the accident happened.

       Two dainty bracelets would be ideal for Diamond and Estella - one with aquamarines and one with turquoise set in silver flowers. The other items would be kept safely for the younger lasses. There was one more special piece which he would give to Ellie on her betrothal or her coming-of-age; a breathtakingly beautiful necklace of gold with a large pear-shaped topaz, which he knew would look ravishing on the fairest hobbit-maid in the Shire.

       In the chest of drawers Frodo had stored a number of small boxes, which he now filled and wrapped, labelling each carefully in his elegant script. When all was completed he tucked them away until the day, well-pleased with himself. Only one item of his mother's would he keep as his own - a sapphire ring, which he slipped onto his little finger. He was absurdly happy and satisfied, with no regrets about parting with all the precious things.

       "The most precious things remain in the heart, Mama. Possessions are not really important, and I think by spreading these things around I'm keeping your memory alive, so that when I'm gone others will look at these jewels and remember you."

       He closed the wardrobe door and walked back to the kitchen, where Rufus was shouting for dinner.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List