Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

Takes place in 1429 SR and follows on from the AU story 'Reunion in Minas Tirith'

       "Da said I'm to do that!"

       "No he didn't. It's my turn and I'm doing it!"

       "Mine!"

       "Shut up!"

       "Stinky!"

       "Pig!"

       "Wan' Woo-woo! Woo-woo come too!"

       "Quiet!"

       Rosie was just about to abandon her cooking and intervene when another voice drowned the children's clamour. She grinned to herself - Frodo was definitely getting the hang of this discipline thing.

       Yule morning was even more chaotic than usual, now there were four children rampaging round Bag End's passageways and one anxious to join in. Following their return from Gondor the family decided they would spend Yule in Hobbiton rather than travel to Brandy Hall. Took and Brandybuck Yule celebrations tended to alternate between Buckland and Tuckborough, and it was the turn of the Brandybucks to host the festivities.

       "We will have no squabbling at Yule or there will be no gifts and no dinner!" Frodo thundered.

       "Sorry, Uncle Fro." chorused the repentant hobbits.

       "Very well. Now calm down, all of you. Ellie, you get Merry dressed. Fro, gather those dishes together for your mother. Rosie-petal, can you put all those presents into that sack. None of those are breakable so you won't do any harm."

       "Yes, Uncle Fwo."

       "And I don't think Rufus wants to come all the way to Bywater with us, Merry-lad. He'll be far happier lazing in the armchair, and we'll be home tonight." He pinched the child's cheek gently. "You'll see Gammer and Gaffer's cats anyway."

       He wandered through to the kitchen, fastening his cufflinks. "The children seem rather over-excited this morning. Understandable, I suppose."

       "Here, let me fix that collar-stud," said Rose, drying her hands on her apron. "They're beside themselves - what with us all home and going to spend the day with their Gammer and Gaffer. I'm impressed with the way you dealt with them though."

       This First Yule was to be spent at the Cotton's farm. Rose had cooked a huge goose and was peeling some vegetables, to lighten the workload for her mother. Marigold was also cooking a second goose, and this year Frodo was deemed well enough to eat rich food. Frodo was not surprised that they had been invited to the farm. He was always included in family invitations these days, Mrs Cotton being well aware that if he was not invited, Sam and Rose would refuse to attend.

       Three weeks previously Mrs Cotton had issued her invitation, sitting at the Bag End kitchen table with her daughter.

       "I hope you'll all be coming to us on First Yule, Rosie love?"

       "I'll have to ask Sam and Frodo, but I'm sure they'd love to come. You are including Frodo, I hope?"

       "Of course I'm including Mister Frodo. He's part of the family now. Wouldn't dream of leaving him out," said Mrs Cotton indignantly.

       "In that case, I think you should call me Frodo, Mrs Cotton," murmured the Master of Bag End, arriving in the kitchen fresh from a shopping trip to Hobbiton. He put down the packages, removed his gloves and warmed his hands at the fire.

       Mrs Cotton looked surprised, but her face creased in a smile. "If you put it like that, I reckon it's about time you called me Lily." She fixed him with a steady gaze. "You're family, M...........Frodo."

       Frodo's smile lit up the entire kitchen, and he took Mrs Cotton's worn hands in his. "Thank you, Lily. I am so very blessed. I have a huge family now, which extends throughout the Shire and all the way to Gondor. After my parents died I felt as though I was alone, but now I have everything I once longed for."

       "You're most welcome. You give so much to others so it's only fair that we give something back. Everyone is looking forward to you spending the day with us - even if Lilac, Peony and Blossom are a bit nervous and shy."

       These three, together with Marigold, were Rose's sisters-in-law - Lilac was married to Jolly, Peony to Nick and Blossom to Nibs. Marigold had known Frodo for years and was easy and confident around him, but to the others he was a stranger.

       "Oh dear! Does this mean they see me as some very exalted being?"

       "I should hope so!" said Sam, ambling in and removing his jacket. "You're very exalted, and those young chits had better recognise it." He was grinning as he said it.

       "You see what I'm up against?" Frodo said in mock despair, and Mrs Cotton laughed.

       Sam shooed his children out into the lane, where the cart was waiting. He clambered up and everyone else handed up all the things they would be taking with them - the goose, cooked and keeping warm on the largest covered serving dish, a ham, roast potatoes and parsnips and an apple and pear tart. There were two sackfuls of gifts too.

       Frodo helped Rose into the cart and passed Pip and Merry-lad up to her, followed by the others. Rose tucked blankets around them, as it was starting to snow a little, and she piled more straw around the hot food. The little ones rested their feet on the dish covers and giggled.

       Frodo fussed Rufus, who was curled in the armchair in the parlour, and emerged, pulling his fur-lined cloak about him. Sam had unearthed their Rivendell cloaks, which they had been given by Lord Elrond before departing on the Quest, and which were beautifully warm. They had been left in Lothlorien and returned to them in Minas Tirith by the Lady Galadriel.

       Small flakes of snow whirled and stung, which thrilled the children, who squealed and shouted as Bill and Strider moved off.

       "Hooray!"

       "We're off to see Gammer and Gaffer!"

       They sang all the way to Bywater, laughing and giggling and waving to friends and neighbours along the way. In some of the fields childen were pelting each other with small snowballs and racing about, obviously hoping for enough snow to build snowhobbits.

       By the time they pulled into the farmyard the snow was settling. The childen jumped down and raced for the house, rushing into the arms of Tom and Lily Cotton who were waiting on the doorstep.

       Inside, the house was warm and welcoming. Condensation trickled down the windows and the air was filled with the smell of delicious food and the fresh resiny smell of holly, ivy, mistletoe, pine boughs and even a small amount of juniper. Mister Cotton was preparing mulled cider, his sons had just arrived from various parts of the farm, and the wives and children were helping with cooking and laying the table.

       "Sit by the fire and get warm, Mister Frodo," said Tom Cotton cheerfully, stirring the cider carefully.

       "I thought I'd convinced your wife to call me Frodo - don't tell me she didn't tell you."

       "Force of habit, M........ Frodo. I'll try and get used to it. Now, there's mulled cider or lambswool. What will you have?"

       Lambswool was mulled ale with apples, and Frodo had not tasted any for far too long. "Some of the lambswool, please." He took the cup and settled himself comfortably in the rocking chair, feeling the heat of the fire on his face and legs.

       The converstaion was pleasant, and Frodo was relaxed, sitting there in the homely kitchen where he had spent so many hours during his stay at the farm while Bag End was restored. His thoughts were interrupted by the appearance of Lilac, carrying a squawling bundle. She looked exhausted and pale, and her efforts to quiet the baby were achieving nothing.

       "Lilac! You look fraught. Has she been crying for long?" He hastily offered her his chair but she sat on the stool for a moment, rocking the wailing Lavender.

       "Had me up most of the night, Mister Frodo. She's teething and I can't seem to soothe her." She pushed back a strand of hair in a weary gesture.

       "Let me take her for a while." Seeing the doubt in her face he added, "Rose will tell you I'm fairly capable with babies." Lilac nodded and handed over her little daughter. "Rose, do you have any of that teething balm?"

       Rose fished in her apron pocket and handed over a little glass jar. "Don't worry, Lilac dear. That will soothe her gums. Special Elven recipe, made up by Queen Arwen herself."

       "The Queen?" Lilac almost squealed. "She's an Elf - how does she know about teething?"

       "She's a mother - and she has lived for almost three thousand years. There isn't much she doesn't know. And her father was the greatest healer in Middle-earth." Rose hauled her sister-in-law back to the kitchen for a liberal helping of mulled cider and a lot of practical advice.

       Frodo applied the balm to the baby's inflamed gums and sat down again. He rocked the infant gently and began to sing in Sindarin, his voice almost unbearably sweet. The wails gradually diminished into snuffles and sobs, then died away. By the time Frodo had repeated the lullaby, Lavender was sound asleep, the furrows on her little face smoothed out.

       "I don't believe it. A bachelor gentlehobbit and he manages to sing her to sleep in no time!" Lilac felt all the tension roll away.

       "I told you he's wonderful with the little ones. and the ointment will help her teeth. She'll snooze for a good while now, so you can have dinner and then get some sleep, lass."

       Blossom was peeping in at the door, watching Frodo cradling the baby. "I can't believe that! He's so............. sweet! I know I've not seen him often but I always thought he was stand-offish."

       "No, just ill and sad. He was always a kind soul but he had a merry heart, and now he's recovered at last he is cheerful again, and as gentle and caring as always." Rose smiled fondly. "He's adorable with the children and they would do anything for him."

                                                                          **************

       It was a happy and noisy group which sat down to eat Yule dinner. The children had been given a separate table under Elanor's and young Roper Cotton's supervision, and the board groaned under the weight of roast goose, ham, beef, red cabbage, mushrooms cooked with onions and garlic, roast poatatoes, parsnips roasted with bacon and a drizzle of honey, carrots and sprouts. Jolly and Nibs had prepared a huge Yule log, which burned and crackled in the fireplace, releasing the smell of apple wood, herbs, pine cones and spices.

       For some time there was little conversation while everyone tucked in, but as the rate of food consumption slowed a little, small exchanges began. Lilac was discussing the honey and bacon on the parsnips with Rose, Sam talked with Jolly about the farm and Blossom plucked up courage to ask about the Queen, and how she knew how to make teething balm.

       Frodo smiled encouragingly. "The Queen's father, Lord Elrond, was a great healer for many Ages of the world, and for years she helped him in his work. She has inherited that healing skill, and the King has healing hands too. When they come north you will meet them."

       "Oh, I'd be much too scared, Mister Frodo." Blossom looked like a startled rabbit at the thought.

       "But there is not point being scared when there is nothing to fear. They are Big People, yes, but kind and gentle, noble and just. You wait - when you stand before the King and gaze into his eyes you will find he has a hobbity soul."

      "You all seem to love him very much," said Lilac.

       "We do, because he is worthy of love. He is a great Man, but he has time for the small things. That is what sets him apart from most of the Big Folk."

                                                                          *************

       To their great surprise, the Cotton lads found themselves conscripted into doing the washing-up. Frodo and Sam announced that the ladies had done all the cooking and were entitled to a rest. Nibs was startled by this instruction, as Blossom never asked him to help with household chores.

       "A bit o' washing-up won't kill you, lad," said Sam, steering him inexorably towards the kitchen.

       "Exactly!" added Frodo. "And with seven of us, it will be done in no time."

       Tom Cotton grinned. Unlike Blossom, Mari believed in sharing chores, so he was already at the sink, while Jolly sorted the plates and stacked them so they would not topple. Nick and Mr Cotton put things away while Frodo and Nibs dried and Sam cleaned the stove.

       When all was done - and even Nibs had to admit that the task had not been too terrible - they returned to the parlour and played games. Charades, blind-hobbit's-bluff, musical chairs and pass the parcel. Baby Lavender awoke smiling, to reveal a brand new tooth, Lilac returned from a nap much refreshed and then it was time to open the gifts, whereupon there was much sqealing as toys were revealed and examined - and fought over in some cases.

       Frodo was very pleased with the dark green scarf and mittens kinitted for him by Mrs Cotton. She smiled warmly as he wrapped the scarf around his neck and snuggled into the softness.

       The men-folk went out to see to the livestock, milk the cows and see them warm and safe for the night. They came back much excited.

       "Patches has had her babies!" Patches was the current pet pig at the farm, a sweet-natured sow with black markings, of the variety known as the Overhill Spot.

       Everyone grabbed cloaks and trooped out to see the tiny piglets, who were feeding, wriggling and burrowing as they competed for the rich milk. Patches looked up at the visitors and grunted her appreciation and pride. She was an experienced mother and never rolled or stepped on her little ones. Mr Cotton scratched the pig's ears and told her she was a clever lass, and filled her trough with warm mash.

       "Well, I guess that makes a perfect Yule. And that little 'un there can stay." He pointed to a piglet with a black ear and three large blotches on her back. "Patches is getting on a bit now, and I reckon this'll be her last litter. What should we call the new one then?" Mr Cotton addressed his grand-children. All sorts of suggestions were given, but suddenly he heard the quiet voice of Elanor say something. "What was that, Ellie-lass?"

       "I think we should call her Holly, because she's born at Yule."

       Frodo ruffled the fair hair. "I think that's a lovely idea."

       "So do I," Farmer Cotton agreed. "What does everyone else think?"

       The children all agreed that Holly would be a good name, Patches was patted again and left to feed her babies, and the gathering returned to the house for cake and cold cuts.

                                                                          ************

       When the time came to return to Hobbiton, the snow was crisping under a bright moon and diamond stars. Sam tied sacking round the ponies' feet so they should not slip, and everyone piled under blankets. Frodo used his new scarf to keep both himself and Sam warm as they trotted briskly through the lanes. It was strange to see the Shire under moonlight like this, everywhere white and quiet. It looked magical and almost alien, but in a comfortable way, transformed by no more than frozen water.

       Trees loomed white and stark as they left the lights of Hobbiton behind and rolled silently up the hill. Lights in New Row showed May and her family were still up. They would all be coming to Bag End for Second Yule and there would be more gifts and more good food and cheerful company.

       Rufus greeted them, complaining that the fire had gone out. He grumbled until he was lifted and carried inside and mollified with cold beef and some goose liver.

       "Never mind, my lad. We'll be staying here tomorrow," said Frodo. "You can toast your belly in front of the fire all day."

       Rufus thought that sounded like a capital idea. He curled up on his master's lap and lazily washed his ears, and listened to the fir cones popping in the flames.  

                                                                      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List